Server time: 2017-08-23, 17:36

Sign in to follow this  
Soren

Lobby loitering - ILLEGAL?!

Soren    0

Hey everyone, hope you're doing great.

So just now, a couple of friends and I joined the DayZRP Team Speak and saw each other in the lobby and were like "Oh hey!" and started chit-chatting. After a while, a few more people joined and we were a good 5-6 people, hanging around just talking a little bit, and saying hey to everyone who joined - we even met two new members who joined the server today, and were quite happy that we initiated conversation, as it can be quite difficult to just jump into a random room upon joining, and make new friends.

Apparently though - this is not allowed. The community helper, Bryan, jumped into the lobby and told us all in a rather unfriendly manner, to leave the lobby, as apparently, lobby loitering wasn't allowed - and told us that if we did not leave to a private room immediately, we would be kicked.

Honestly, I thought this was a joke. I have never seen this done before by staff and was quite shocked. Why should it not be allowed to hang out in the lobby and talk to the people who join? This is something me and many of the others have been doing for a very long time - almost the entire year I've been on the server. It's a great way to make new friends, and after a while jump into a private channel when you realize you like each other.

I know personally that when I joined the server I had a hard time making some friends, because I simply didn't feel good just jumping into a random room with 4 or 5 people and try talk with them. Usually you would be asked to leave, or an extremely uncomfortable and awkward situation would arise. I wish there would've been some happy, open-minded people in the lobby, initiating conversation so that I could have gotten to know someone like that easily.

- To finish the story from above though, as we thought it was a joke, since it's never been against the rules to sit around and talk to new people in the lobby, we stayed. About 10 seconds later we were kicked to the lobby, and the lobby room was changed to "No lobby loitering".

-------------------------

So I'd like to ask the community here - what do you guys think of lobby loitering? Is it extremely annoying that some friendly people say hello or welcome when you join the Team Speak, or do you enjoy being able to socialize with other members, without awkwardly interrupting their private channel? Do you think it was fair of some members of staff to suddenly just decide that it was not allowed - even though people have been doing it for almost a year?

Same goes for the staff, I'd love to hear a few staff opinions on whether or not this was a group decision, or just a few staff members in the moment that decided to use their power against us? Something that did not harm them or anyone else. I must admit, and a few of the others agree with me - it seemed like the staff member that did it, only did it to show they had power and could do anything they wanted. It seemed unprovoked and came out of nowhere. Something I could imagine someone would do because they were in a bad mood and saw someone else having a good time - and decided to stop it. Maybe that's a very very wrong guess, but if it's not that - then what was the reason for it?

I hope I'm not stepping anyone over the toes with this thread, I just honestly want to hear peoples opinions on it. I've always enjoyed hanging out in the lobby, and that is where I've met the majority of the people I know on the server. People you may occasionally stumble upon on the forum, suddenly end up in the lobby with you - and a conversation begins.

Staff - please explain why?

Guest Leguminosae   
Guest Leguminosae

Don't see why it shouldn't be allowed, if you join the Teamspeak you have the option to mute your sound or go into a private channel to have a private conversation.

Guest BoobManReub   
Guest BoobManReub

I thought there was a room for people looking to meet people? I can't quite remember though, I haven't used the teamspeak in a while

But I agree with you, meeting people in the lobby is a great way of getting to know people

Whitefur    4

I don't connect to the lobby anyways, I just log into the RC channel, but I don't see a problem with it. It never really bothers anyone because for the most part people join and swap channels immediately.

Burgz    6

Illegal* :D

I didn't know it wasn't allowed either, it's the best place to meet people.

Sometimes I begin a conversation about what just happened in TWD, move in there and boom! Spoilers for everyone.

Let this be allowed plz!

Alan Woods    3

From my point of view, I see it as a good way to make friends.

Also most people just enter lobby and move and I don't see it as something annoying...

Sidewinder    1

Even I was saying hello :D

It's a nice way to greet new members to the server as it is pretty scary just to join a room with people inside :(

Toorrik    4

We don't appreciate you publicly denouncing Bryan. In feedback threads we don't allow so why would we here? You wouldn't like it if someone publicly smeared your name for something you did so don't do it unto others.

However on topic. We have never had a rule for lobby loitering however 95% of the staff was under the impression that it wasn't allowed either. We've asked people for months and months to join a channel or move to AFK instead of sitting in the lobby. From what I hear, Bryan wasn't being "unfriendly", he simply asked you to join a channel away from the lobby.

Scooter    51

You could always sit in a room and if you see someone enter the lobby that you want to talk to poke them....

Soren    0

We don't appreciate you publicly denouncing Bryan. In feedback threads we don't allow so why would we here? You wouldn't like it if someone publicly smeared your name for something you did so don't do it unto others.

Why would a member of staff do something that they didn't want held against them? You are responsible for your own actions, so why not stand up for it? I don't see that as smearing someones name at all.

Honestly, I would want someone to publicly smear me for something I've said or done. Because if I felt like it would ruin my reputation, I probably wouldn't have said or done it. You can hold all my actions up against me. I stand responsible for everything I do. If I do something that people can smear my name with, then I probably deserved it.

Hmm never seen the reason to talk in lobby. I mean i just leave and join a empty channel if anyone wants to find and join me they are welcome to it. Many new players i have met has done so with me and i have made great friends with them. So doesn't matter to me if lobby loitering is allowed or not. But if i have to give a opinion then i assume it should be (Or stay i guess) against the rules. No reason just seems like it would help so when someone just get's on to TS they don't hear a bunch of random people talking in the lobby. Hell, for me it is awkward for me when people just randomly comes to my chat channel randomly just to say "Hello." so coming on TS and hearing a full blown conversation going on makes me feel like i am interrupting something and gives me the feeling of making it awkward. Just my honest opinion :)

TightPants    0

You could always sit in a room and if you see someone enter the lobby that you want to talk to poke them....

Well if you stand in a room long enough and have like mic muted too long they will move you to AFK. Varies from 10 to more minutes.

Scooter    51

Well if you stand in a room long enough and have like mic muted too long they will move you to AFK.

I never said to mute your mic...

Soren    0

However on topic. We have never had a rule for lobby loitering however 95% of the staff was under the impression that it wasn't allowed either. We've asked people for months and months to join a channel or move to AFK instead of sitting in the lobby. From what I hear, Bryan wasn't being "unfriendly", he simply asked you to join a channel away from the lobby.

And Toorrik - comming into the lobby saying "Guys, leave the lobby now. No lobby loitering" and then we ask "Why not, we've always done this?" and he reply "Don't make me kick you out of here" and leave the room instantly after to staff channel. That's unfriendly. The throne is high.

Anything that has no reason not to be allowed should be allowed. In my opinion talking in the lobby is one of those things. It doesn't harm anyone.

As for this thread, you could've focused it a bit less on Bryan and more on the issue itself, because it is not Bryan you are questioning but merely the policy Bryan is following. However, Toorrik, surely that could've been mentioned in the feedback thread? Soren is right. You ARE responsible for your own actions.

Clintbet    0

When Bryan came in and told us to remove ourselves, I asked him why and that the staff probably should add "No idling" into the Lobby name. But he didn't respond at all and we were all moved into the AFK section.

I agree with all Soren's above points.

Rolle    2469

Lobby is the default channel for all users coming in and out of TS, a few hundred people daily. Now, you join the server and all of a sudden a bunch of people you don't know start talking about something you have no idea about.

The point of the lobby channel is that you can prepare your mic and headphones and find the channel you want to join in peace and quiet. Having to do that while people talk through each other is rather annoying, at least in my opinion.

You have plenty of open channels to socialize and say hello to each other, I think it's better to use them rather than disturb people who join TS with a specific reason. I'm not saying you have bad intentions, but the loitering policy for important channels like the lobby or helpdesk rooms has a purpose and isn't just a figment of our imagination.

Drogur    0

I do think that the main reason for the very common used "rule" not taking up the slots in the lobby is, that it would harm the TS server from a end user perspective.

It would not be good to have a TS server refusing connections because the lobby slots is full.

You want ppl to be able to connect, maybe the later preferd channel might be full, that so be it.

But the ppl that needs to come in contact with for example server admins and such must be able to connect through the lobby.

Rolle    2469

Lobby slots are unlimited, so that's not the issue. We never get that much traffic anyway ;)

Drogur    0

Lobby slots are unlimited, so that's not the issue. We never get that much traffic anyway ;)

rgr that.

Whitefur    4

The point of the lobby channel is that you can prepare your mic and headphones

In that case wouldn't you want people talking? Sure you probably don't care about what they are talking about but at least it shows that your mic is working

Jess Newton    2

No lobby loitering has been a rule ever since I can remember.. That's why there is other public rooms.. like "Looking For Group" dont get mad a Bryan because you cant read.