Server time: 2017-10-17, 17:07
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Fridge

[GUIDE] Know your limits. [WIP/RP GUIDE]

Fridge    0

Hi, I've spent a while in this community now and I've had my fair share of stories and rp incidents. I'm writing this guide to kind of give an insight on limits and what you can exceed.

1. You can't be everything !

So you start off on a new character you have a basic idea of what you want it to be. You have come to the conclusion he is a super soldier medic, who graduated from the greatest university in the world and have abs that talk. NO

You want it to be believable. Play one role sure you could have more knowledge and some on different things. For example you play a doctor : "Hi I have some training it's been a long time and I might not have the right tools but I know my fair share on performing on patients" You have started to tell the other "people" you are trained in treating there needs. *You perform the action bloodbag/surgery etc*

10 minutes later : "Hey any of you guys trained to fight ?" "Depends what you mean by training ? If passing boot camp counts then yeah count me in you might need a doc' around" You have told them you are fit enough for the role but have never seen action before all of the apocalypse. This is good the people believe you now you have told them of what training you have and have shown the limits to you yourself/character.

The same situation occurs 10 minutes later "Hey any of you guys trained to fight ?" "Yeah I was on the front line with over 300 confirmed kills and 700 possible injured hostiles. I once survived a knife fight with 7 Al-Qaeda and walked out with no scratches"

This isn't believable. You exceeded the limits of your basic character who is a combat medic and turned him into Chuck Norris mixed with Florence Nightingale.

2. Playing the Bad Ass

You're sat around the fire someone kicks over your beans you flip shit. The mother insults are thrown and it gets as heated as the fire.

"Listen here you little cunt ass hoe mother fucker bitch. Sit the fuck down before I put you down motherfucker"

Okay vulgar language is allowed but my god throwing a fuck and a direct insult swear is enough you don't have to go into detail it loses effect. "Listen here back the fuck off ! Before I hurt your nails pussy." This is enough you told them in a serious manner which shows you are pissed and insulting them shows the hatred building up.

*The guy gets angry at you calling him a pussy* His friends have surrounded you they are aiming down the sights ready to fire. The ring leader initiates "Drop the weapon motherfucker, or ill blow your brains out hardman" You spit at the man lift your weapon and yell "Yipee kiyaayy motherfuckers" Instantly you are shot down you killed none. Bad ass does not have "GOD" in it. You are not invincible so don't act it.

"Drop the weapon motherfucker, or ill blow your brains out hardman"

*You drop your weapons and leave them behind* "Always knew you where to scared to fight me yourself. I mean look at you scrawny and weak" Make them feel insecure about the situation like this will most likely lead to him trying to show off to his friends he could take on such a bad ass like you ! "Scrawny ay ! come on then motherfucker, get this man a hatchet Bill where gonna fight" *You are handed a hatchet* Now you bargain "I win, you let me go. Deal ?" The guy accepts with no hope of you winning. It begins you kill the man. easy. his head bashed in and you covered in blood ! you yell "WHO'S NEXT OR AM I FREE TO GO NOW" The group tremble in fear to challenge you and release you back into the wild with the hatchet you just claimed the victory prize.

Overall you shown the strength of your character and they fear him making him a badass not a dead man. Most bad asses I see have no value for life and just act like they can take on the world. Everyone is human even if you claim to be the terminator and you have come to find Sarah Connor.

3. Playing the Freak

So you want to be a cannibal/ex serial killer/sadist or whatever form of psychopath you want to be. You want to gross people out get them scared for how mentally unstable you are and socially awkward you can be.

Let's start with another scenario "So I head that guy is a cannibal ?" the man openly says this in front of everyone they question you "IS IT TRUE ?" "How could you do it man ?" The questions are flying and people are getting nervous of your presence. After thinking for a while this was your reply "I'll take a nibble on ya ear ya cheeky cunt how dare you disrespect me" *pulls out meat cleaver* "Ill chop ya head off as well mate in front of everyone"

Alright lets not play the average cannibal/psycho/freak/whatever Bitey Mchumanflesh. Be creative. Freak them out by pretending everything is normal with what you do. You don't see whats wrong with it act oblivious. Hey even say one word replies and be silent like that one guy can't remember but awesome cannibal rp he has. Make sounds by all means but if you start pretending to be a chicken or do sex groans/grunts then you shouldn't be roleplaying a freak in the first place.

Here is a scenario I'd see "IS IT TRUE DO YOU EAT HUMAN FLESH" "I do what I must to survive it's a thrill. The hunt is on and there is no more prey. We live in a world of predators." *Scans man from top to toe* *Slowly walks away with his eyes focused on the man*

It shows someone who thinks it's natural to do what he does. He tries to explain his actions and believes everything is justified.

The only thing I have left is don't be generic be creative but know your limits. (puns of damage)

4. [WIP THINKING OF NEW SECTION]

[WIP, expect to write 10 sub sections. feel free to give me inputs ill add them in.]

Clintbet    0

Yipee kiyaayy motherfuckers! Great guide man, everyone should read this ^^

Fridge    0

Nice guide :)

Yipee kiyaayy motherfuckers! Great guide man, everyone should read this ^^

Thanks guys ;)

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

I thought that roleplaying as a cannibal (aka roleplaying capturing and eating people ingame) wasn't allowed?

Otherwise, nice guide. As someone who plays a soldier who has many faults (cowardice, leadership deficiency, combat prowess and general military knowledge), I support this :D

Fridge    0

I thought that roleplaying as a cannibal (aka roleplaying capturing and eating people ingame) wasn't allowed?

Otherwise, nice guide. As someone who plays a soldier who has many faults (cowardice, leadership deficiency, combat prowess and general military knowledge), I support this :D

It's allowed, just not allowed to have a cannibal clan.

Thanks though means a lot man ;)

Guest King   
Guest King

Great guide.

Yuval    2

I wish people would read this, today we robbed a guy which constantly didnt comply, when i broke his legs by shooting each one we litraly told him to scream, at the end he mocked us and was shot...

Hopefully youll do more work on this, if its about what/when or who to ask for help etc... Too many people run to randoms and say "hey can you bloodbag me" while not caring for who he is.

Also, maybe add a section for interrigation rp? From the prisoners side?

Burgz    6

To be honest, its a shame we actually need this.

But we do, so good guide. You can see you've put a lot of effort into it! :P

Sin    127

Playing a cannibal is officially frowned upon. Mostly because killing someone and eating their corpse effectively permadeaths the character - if you do this against a player's will, it's power gaming. Not cool.

It's fine to play a cannibal if you can bring it off and don't wind up in reports on a regular basis. But it's a fine line, and you have to do it right. You're playing with fire.

Zhunk is a good example of a 'cannibal' player. He waylays the occasional passerby and freaks them out with his creepy-ass RP. In the end though, the victim is always let go without harm for one reason or another. Unless Zhunk doesn't like you, in which case he might take a toe or two. He likes the toes. Or so I've been told.

The other guy mentioned above actually sent an 'audition' of sorts to the Admin team, asking if anything he was doing was out of line. He received a standing ovation.

Just remember that DayZRP is a collaborative drama; we all play off of each other, and people who grandstand, thinking it's all about them, or are just in it to ruin someone's day ... well, such players aren't exactly welcome here.

For some of us, it's entertaining when our character meets with terrible misfortune (glances at Gijs), while for others, being held hostage and tortured for three hours at a time gets old terribly fast. Always try to gauge the reactions of your audience, and if you find they're not enjoying themselves, you're probably doing something wrong. Always give people a way out. It doesn't have to be an easy way, but it can be fun to dangle that hope. And always act according to your character's motivations.

Edit - Gijs has advised me that he does not enjoy torture. I did not mean to suggest that he did ... unfortunate wording perhaps. The more you know. btw, Gijs is under my protection. Rawr.

Edit - Gijs has advised me that he does not enjoy torture. I did not mean to suggest that he did ... unfortunate wording perhaps. The more you know. btw, Gijs is under my protection. Rawr.

aka only Sin can torture me. <3

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

Rawr.

You need to work on your rawr. Its not good enough to be bear standard.

Nice guide Fridge!

Fridge    0

Playing a cannibal is officially frowned upon. Mostly because killing someone and eating their corpse effectively permadeaths the character - if you do this against a player's will, it's power gaming. Not cool.

It's fine to play a cannibal if you can bring it off and don't wind up in reports on a regular basis. But it's a fine line, and you have to do it right. You're playing with fire.

Zhunk is a good example of a 'cannibal' player. He waylays the occasional passerby and freaks them out with his creepy-ass RP. In the end though, the victim is always let go without harm for one reason or another. Unless Zhunk doesn't like you, in which case he might take a toe or two. He likes the toes. Or so I've been told.

The other guy mentioned above actually sent an 'audition' of sorts to the Admin team, asking if anything he was doing was out of line. He received a standing ovation.

Just remember that DayZRP is a collaborative drama; we all play off of each other, and people who grandstand, thinking it's all about them, or are just in it to ruin someone's day ... well, such players aren't exactly welcome here.

For some of us, it's entertaining when our character meets with terrible misfortune (glances at Gijs), while for others, being held hostage and tortured for three hours at a time gets old terribly fast. Always try to gauge the reactions of your audience, and if you find they're not enjoying themselves, you're probably doing something wrong. Always give people a way out. It doesn't have to be an easy way, but it can be fun to dangle that hope. And always act according to your character's motivations.

Thanks for actually typing a very lengthy reply man. I can see the whole frowned upon side when people walk over but some cannibals play it so well. This guy here brought some really interesting cannibal rp to the server IMO [video=youtube]

It may be frowned upon but sometimes its pure brilliance. Credit to Logan OV and his RP

Thanks for the confirmation as well Sin on the whole situation.

Great guide.

I wish people would read this, today we robbed a guy which constantly didnt comply, when i broke his legs by shooting each one we litraly told him to scream, at the end he mocked us and was shot...

Hopefully youll do more work on this, if its about what/when or who to ask for help etc... Too many people run to randoms and say "hey can you bloodbag me" while not caring for who he is.

Also, maybe add a section for interrigation rp? From the prisoners side?

Great guide! Looking forward to what is to be added.

To be honest, its a shame we actually need this.

But we do, so good guide. You can see you've put a lot of effort into it! :P

Rawr.

You need to work on your rawr. Its not good enough to be bear standard.

Nice guide Fridge!

Thanks for the kind words guys aint stopping until I get 10 sub sections maybe more who knows.

Mr Gingee    2

Proper nice job and that. Sick.

No but seriously wasn't expecting something like this from you, good job. As reward I will be making you a signature and will be making that fridge avatar look better.

Fridge    0

Proper nice job and that. Sick.

No but seriously wasn't expecting something like this from you, good job. As reward I will be making you a signature and will be making that fridge avatar look better.

Thanks my fellow ginge ;) There's always more to the eye than people can see :)

Vassal    0

"Playing the hero" could be a good topic to write on.

But to talk about the current guide, I like it. Even though I do admittedly play some what of a super soldier I do believe that not many people in this game are gods so that means they can't be everything. I fully agree with what you are saying but sometimes I think it is okay to cross the line on being a super soldier as long as you can RP it correctly.

Sign in to follow this