Server time: 2017-10-18, 05:38
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Red

RP writers block.

Question

Red    240

Hello all,

I'm making this thread to get some ideas about where i should take my character to in terms of RP. I have seem to have run into a writers block. This happened shortly before i perma'd my previous character. Alessandro Decosta.

Since then i have sat down and thought about a new character. This one being Valentin Veselovsky.

Now the thing that has been bothering me immensely lately is that i'm struggling to find a path to lead my character into. I purposely made him a Chenarussian Mechanic just to keep things open and to give him plenty of direction to point him into. (I did this also because at first i wanted to created either a CIA agent or Network Administrator that worked for the Russian CDC. I decided against it though because they gave me limited options in terms of RP.) I think my main problem at the moment is that I created my character to be quite distant from who I am as a person. I have a lot of RP experience in various other games and forums but that was all mostly text based. Now I'm doing voice RP and I am really starting to notice now more than ever that It's an entirely different thing. I also didn't want my second character to be exactly the same or even similar to my previous one.

My question would be, even based on my current characters background story, what direction should i point him into? I'm struggling to find a goal for my new character. What tips could you leave me behind that I could use to improve my character. Take this question as broad as you want. Any hints/suggestions/tips are more than welcome!

10 answers to this question

Gritteh    0

Well, a simple direction is to switch to "good" or "bad" then to from there. If you don't like that, then go somewhere in-between. Think how what you have actually seen in-game could affect your character, as you can refer to those when you're RPing. E.g. "After I saw that pile of dead bodies, my patience with the world ended, any evil is going to perish by my hands." I.e. You could make your character more serious about something, more passionate about a certain goal, and that will definitely make your character more interesting.

Hope this helps, I don't have time to write more, but if this is still up later, I might add more if you want. Good luck with everything mate!

Stagsview    624

At the moment costa im writting a thread on how to make extremely in depth chatacters that you can get a emotional engaged into.

The problem is, IMO if you base a character of yourself you then come across problems of distanting yourself and the character. You feel like yourself IG and not the character that you made.

This is why I do not like bassing characters on your own dominate personality.

What I tend to do is crete "alter ego's . These egos are part of your own personality but the surpressed and unexplored ones doing this for me makes the person feel real and you get a emotional connection to them He becomes You. You need to think a few things first before that:

What are my characters fears? Limits? Traits per say.. Traits are the founding ground for most of this.

After you get a voice. Try and avoiding your own voice, sure. It may be a sexy accent but it is YOUR accent not the characters.. Unless you explain IC why he does. If you really want to feel the character seperating your from him and becoming the character is the best way "thats why i get pissed sometimes because i still have the Staggs mindset. I believe its what actors do. You put a mask over yourself and become whoever you want.

Its the little things for me that make the character. IRL we dress in a style for a reason... So why does your character dress as he does? Does he have a cross? Tattoos? Masks? Various things... Body movement is one.

Arcus for is a master in telling a story without talking.. Few words.. Loads of actions. That tells the story. Everyone has ticks, and so should your character.

So you have a writers block? You need influence.. As i recommended before you can use a alter personality.. Or! You can base it of a book character or someone you know... Writers observe people around them to write a character.. And in a rp community we are full of characters.. Read the rp threads.. Watch videos read books and imagen up a persona then make him/her real in your head.. A little voice nagging you along. Go around irl acting as him.. I may sound mad but thats how you become the character instead of just playing a video game.

Might add more on later... But on phone ya know?

Alan Woods    3

Well...

Decide how he feels around other survivors, is he friendly or a dick?

Did he have a favourite thing he liked(something he enjoyed drinking or a drug addiction?)

Is he searching for something? A relative, a vehicle he wanted pre-apocalypse or even something more sinister...

I'll add more stuff and explain myself better when I get on a PC.

There are so many things I have to write here :D

First of all, write. That may seem like stupid advice for someone that has a writer's block, but I don't mean stories or journals. Just start writing about your character's history. Start with his birth, no matter how irrelevant it may be. Then work your way up, year per year, thinking of events that defined his childhood. You don't have to post it anywhere, and it doesn't have to be pretty.

Instead of writing you can also just think about it, but it's nice having it on paper and writing helps you remember, which is very important because the point is that you should use it in-game. Having a history, not just "he went to this school and these were his parents", means you can refer to stuff. Something will happen in-game and because you have that history you can think "this reminds me of that time I did this and that", and even if you don't directly refer to it to whoever you're with, whatever your response will be, it will be influenced by that memory, whether you want it or not.

The more "memories" you have, the more you can do that, and the more natural your character will feel to both you and others. And the memories don't have to be well-written or even fun. They're memories. They can be whatever you want them to be.

As for playing a character that's different from yourself, I don't entirely agree with Stagsview. Or well, I do actually, but I don't think that works for everyone. Of course "becoming your character" is great and the more you play and the more you know about your character, the more you'll become him, but I think that's very possible with characters similar to yourself as well.

However, Valentin is not and his accent is not, and that's not a bad thing. If you think you can't pull of an accent (I know I can't), then make up an excuse for him to talk English (with a Dutch accent?). You can always add a subtle Chernarussian accent. There's absolutely zero reason you have to do a stereotypical thick slavic accent.

And besides, I can agree with avoiding your own voice, because voice is more than an accent. The way you say things can have a lot of impact on the perception of your words from others. Think of yourself, how do you talk? Slow, with a lot of pauses? Fast? Then think of how Valentin talks. Maybe he talks a lot slower, calmer. Maybe he stutters. Maybe when he's angry he talks through his nose.

What I do now is I sometimes walk and play out scenarios and conversations in my head. I think of what someone might say and then I respond, as Isak. You'll quickly notice if it's you that's responding, or your character.

As for your writer's block: for journals you should take the same tips as for in-game roleplay. After all, a journal is literally your character writing. What would he say about certain things? Maybe he wouldn't mention some things at all? What had an impact on him?

Talk, as your character, about what happened. Talk as if you're telling someone what happened IC. And then write that down. If necessary you can put up some music. That always helps me.

I write a lot in line with the maxim "our lives are the sum total of our experiences and the choices we have made". Experiences and choices made in-game, but also in the history of your character. Everything I write about I can use in-game, I can refer to, I can think of. And the more I do that, the more natural and realistic my responses in-game become and the more they become my character's, not my own.

Hope that helps. :)

Oh, and I forgot to respond to your problems with coming up with a goal. That's just a matter of brainstorming. What does your character hold dear? Maybe there's any family he's searching for? Or maybe he just wants to survive and have friends to talk to. Is he in the Watchers? If so, why?

Maybe his goal is that he doesn't have a goal, that he's lost (figuratively), depressed, unsure of what to do? He wouldn't be the only one in an apocalypse, I imagine.

I like having a specific goal, but I see it as rowing towards the shore. My goal is to get there eventually, but I know that the currents will probably take me elsewhere. And that's fine. That's what makes DayZRP unpredictable and thus fun.

Hello all,

I'm making this thread to get some ideas about where i should take my character to in terms of RP. I have seem to have run into a writers block. This happened shortly before i perma'd my previous character. Alessandro Decosta.

Since then i have sat down and thought about a new character. This one being Valentin Veselovsky.

Now the thing that has been bothering me immensely lately is that i'm struggling to find a path to lead my character into. I purposely made him a Chenarussian Mechanic just to keep things open and to give him plenty of direction to point him into. (I did this also because at first i wanted to created either a CIA agent or Network Administrator that worked for the Russian CDC. I decided against it though because they gave me limited options in terms of RP.) I think my main problem at the moment is that I created my character to be quite distant from who I am as a person. I have a lot of RP experience in various other games and forums but that was all mostly text based. Now I'm doing voice RP and I am really starting to notice now more than ever that It's an entirely different thing. I also didn't want my second character to be exactly the same or even similar to my previous one.

My question would be, even based on my current characters background story, what direction should i point him into? I'm struggling to find a goal for my new character. What tips could you leave me behind that I could use to improve my character. Take this question as broad as you want. Any hints/suggestions/tips are more than welcome!

What I tend to try focus my character on is his current goal and to try put together a number of setbacks that he has to overcome. Perhaps his goal should be achievable but must contain some sort of struggle, be it physical or psychological.

E.g. Maseksky's aim was to find the 'animated cadavers' (infected) of his wife and children. However, he blames himself for what happened due to a number of reasons and also thinks of himself as a coward for fleeing when he should have stood firm. Since then his judgement has been influenced by his increasing dependence on painkillers to stem his nervous tendencies, caused by his grief.

Later on he became more and more confident and was eventually building up the courage to set off and finally complete what he felt was needed. When CLF headed to Russia he stayed behind as a stronger man, still fighting an addiction that he doesn't want to overcome just yet. Since then, very little can be said.

So, what I am trying to get at is that you should really think of a number of things.

1) Where do you want this character to go? What do you want him to do? Why?

2) How can you make it interesting for you to play and how can you portray that in your character?

3) What challenges are in his path and how can they be overcome?

4) Is there a sense of journey? Has your character developed?

Try and tick all of those off but of course they don't need to reflect your attributes in real life. My character started off as I would be but he has become so much more. In fact I think I became more and more like Maseksky each day I played him.

DayZRP is actually a decent way to help people become more confident in all aspects of life.

Edit:

In terms of a Goal. If you are a Chernarussian mechanic surely you have some history that needs to be addressed? Perhaps it is your family or someone that you care deeply for.

What I don't think we have seen yet is a Romeo and Juliet scenario where a young man fell madly in love with a girl only to be separated by the start of the infection. A desperate search for a lost love and of finding out one's place in the vastly different and hostile world.

It would have to be one sided unless you wish to get someone else on board to play the love interest. Personally I would avoid that as there is a much deeper emotional impact if it just you searching for her. You would need to create those emotions via journals, flashbacks etc. to reflect this, potentially unending, search for his love.

It doesn't need to be some crazy conspiracy theory. A tale of love can be the most engaging one of all, especially if you can get the tone right with desperation and a long term struggle.

Just my thoughts but an idea I would actually be very engaged in.

Red    240
What I don't think we have seen yet is a Romeo and Juliet scenario where a young man fell madly in love with a girl only to be separated by the start of the infection. A desperate search for a lost love and of finding out one's place in the vastly different and hostile world.

My previous character was all about that actually, haha! :P I think that's what made him very interesting for me to play out. Looking back i feel like I could have made that story arc a little longer. There were a few things that I unfortunately rushed myself through with my previous character.

That is exactly the reason why i want to take my time for this character. I want to properly think things out before actually getting out there and play. I think i have received a lot of information from both you and Gijs about the steps i could take to give my current character more dimension.

I will sit down tonight and work towards making my characters background story a little bit more in depth. The love story part in this situation didn't really work out. He went into the apocalypse as a single man. Lost both of his parents at the beginning of the infection so that kind of cuts it off there.

The idea I had for this character was to make him a whole lot more bitter in comparison to my previous character. I wanted this guy to have lost hope. Maybe work my way up towards finding hope once again. It's hard to make your character seem bitter/cold without others thinking that you might be hostile. I've noticed that with other players that played characters with a cold attitude. A lot of other players ended up either not liking them or just end up avoiding the character all together.

I noticed that my character's accent is something that a couple of people have expressed to have found annoying (oocly). I can understand it but it ticks me off a little too, mostly because I am really trying to do something different than before. I will however really consider on tuning down the accent more to make him sound more but that could result into the character sounding the same as my previous one and i wouldn't want people to be like: "Alessandro? Is that you?"

Uriki    0

take what the "normal human" person would do and do the polar opposite.

take whay the "normal human" person would do and do the polar opposite.

That's how you create horrible stereotypes. :P

Red    240

take whay the "normal human" person would do and do the polar opposite.

That's how you create horrible stereotypes. :P

Hahah yeah which i would rather not make.

What I found to be a problem is that there's not always room to display the depth and subtility (still not sure if that's an actual word) of your character. Not while meeting randoms, at least. And that can be frustrating.

But you're in the Watchers (I'm assuming Valentine is too?), so you should be fine in that regard. They may think you're hostile at first but if you gradually show them who you truly are, you'll be able to progress and maybe obtain new goals.

I understand your concern though, and it's a compromise you have to make. I love anything that's subtle and as long as you play with roleplayers that pay attention, they should be able to look past your "hostility".