Server time: 2017-10-19, 21:50
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Equil

Acceptable racial slurs.

Equil    0

Greetings,

I understand that DayZRP has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to racial slurs, but I was wondering in terms of RP, and if they are solely used within the realm of the RP at hand, couldn't one get away with using some racial slurs? I mean being as the server requires each member to be mature to a certain degree shouldn't people be able to tell the difference between a solely IC comment verses one with OOC undertones, based around the context?

Guess what I am asking is, given how in general should we really consider mocking a foreigner for how they speak if they have a valid reason?

Reason I ask is because of this report; http://www.dayzrp.com/t-formal-s1-rdm-racism-nw-airfield-march-25-2014?page=3 while I agree with the verdict, I just wonder if someone where to encounter another character that differed from your own, should one really take offense to mocking something your character is not familiar with? Also should people take such comments offensive OOC?

Thanks for the feedback

I say nothing about race per say, referring to the color of skin.

I say this because there are Russian bandit groups that hate US foreigners or US soldiers of any kind, or Chernarussian liberators that dislike foreigners pissing on there land.

EX: Russian Bandit: "Yuck, filthy American scum." American: "Easy for you to say, Russian filth."

and nothing like

Black Character: "Yo sup' homie." White Character: "Hey [email protected]#%$%, want some fried chicken?"

If it isn't Disney rated, then it isn't allowed. -Wise words of Thumper

As far as I am aware, any racial comments that can be considered as offensive are prohibited. A few jokes won't hurt anybody but be careful to not cross the line as we have a zero tolerance policy. If you roleplay it correctly without abusing, i'm sure in most case there won't be a issue.

We use to say alot of comments against american when I was in CLF, nothing offensive but a few jokes and a few "stereotypical" comments.

But i'm not a GameMaster nor a Admin so don't quote me on this :)

Fozzy    2

Depends on the people really. Using racist words such as the N word isn't allowed, or making fun out of someone for being muslim etc.

If there is a russian clan, you can get away with maybe calling them Russian scum for example, but just to be safe, you shouldn't say anything. It isn't needed and it will keep you safe from any reports

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

Although it may not be offensive OOC to everyone, it could be offensive if the person were to continue doing it and say it to the wrong person. Furthermore, it is politically incorrect and largely unacceptable in modern society to act like that person did.

A gentle laugh about differences is acceptable, but to berate someone with the ignorant remarks that the person in the aforementioned report, and to use racial slurs is faux pas.

Maturity is to perceive another race with cultural relativism and dignity, and should you not know about a culture, seek to learn. Satirise your dialogue, and don't use racial slurs.

Siorre    0

Nothing is racist to me unless they kill you for your race or go everboard. Like I can see why those words are prohibited. But still, it's just a game. But the rules are you can't say words like Honk**, Ni***, Sp****, as they are deregatory to a race. I wouldn't feel hurt but some people might.

Equil    0

I do agree that the person in the report went over the top, but it did get me wondering that sometimes people do get really into character and follow through with their intended back story. For example, someone has a character that is an unsophisticated person from the rural area. Wouldn't it be natural for that type of person to go based off stereotypes, if that is how they wish the character to be portrayed?

While, personally I would avoid racial slurs, I do understand that for some it may just be how their character would react to an unknown element. So the zero tolerance policy confuses me a little since in general as a culture within the united states, mocking other for their mannerism or method of speech seem fairly common when it comes to humor.

Might be able I have been told countless times to grow up and get thicker skin that it no longer bothers me as much, but it seems common place to mock the unknown, and at times many find it humorous. So where does one draw the line between truly offensive and overly sensitive?

Just playing devils advocate.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

If it isn't Disney rated, then it isn't allowed. -Wise words of Thumper

Have you seen Dumbo, Aladdin, Peter Pan or The Jungle Book?

I'm pretty sure there's more Disney movies with racially stereotyped characters.

I don't think Disney is a standard to live up to, but that can be reserved for another thread.

Carved_    7

I think the Word swith Disney rated came from a thread about sexual roleplay.

I would be careful, as you don't know if people could feel insulted or not.

Better don't than risk it.

People ahve been permed for saying the N word once.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

Nothing is racist to me unless they kill you for your race or go everboard. Like I can see why those words are prohibited. But still, it's just a game. But the rules are you can't say words like Honk**, Ni***, Sp****, as they are deregatory to a race. I wouldn't feel hurt but some people might.

Do you think this is acceptable Siorre?

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-server-1-alan-pierce-trolling-racist-2013-10-01-03-00-06-00

Have you seen Dumbo, Aladdin, Peter Pan or The Jungle Book?

I'm pretty sure there's more Disney movies with racially stereotyped characters.

I don't think Disney is a standard to live up to, but that can be reserved for another thread.

That may be so, but in the end it was just a example, I didn't expect him to take it -that- seriously. I think a better example would be Nickelodeon or something... one could even say The Walking Dead since I haven't seen any racial slurs on it, I'm not certain on this however.

So for the OP, Nickelodeon rated... if that helps you any better. :P

I think the Word swith Disney rated came from a thread about sexual roleplay.

It was.

Siorre    0

Do you think this is acceptable Siorre?

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-server-1-alan-pierce-trolling-racist-2013-10-01-03-00-06-00

I said when people go overboard, it is unnaceptable. If people do the one slip-up, then I see no reason to report them. I am just saying, i don't care about racial slurs. But other people do as they are deregatory. So that's why dayzrp does not allow it. I am just saying, if I was called Hon*** or any other, I wouldn't be offended unless they killed me for being that. I think you misinterpreted what I said

Guest Nykke   
Guest Nykke

I honestly don't get why people are so afraid of useing the n word.

Doing my travels in Africa i heard it so many times and only in a friendly manner.

Like Sup mah N*****

Hows it going my N****

etc.

Hell a black guy even said sup my N**** to me and im not even close to being black.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

making fun out of someone for being muslim etc.

I have received several stereotypical comments and racial slurs in my time of role playing as a Muslim. As I am a Muslim IRL I also get angry OOC but instead of making a report about it I act IC and show them to respect my people, whether its by robbing/torturing them or simply having a debate with them. It definitely provides some really great RP.

I think this should be used more often for other groups that are discriminated against IG. Always try and role play arguments out instead of scrambling to get someone banned.

Equil    0

making fun out of someone for being muslim etc.

I have received several stereotypical comments and racial slurs in my time of role playing as a Muslim. As I am a Muslim IRL I also get angry OOC but instead of making a report about it I act IC and show them to respect my people, whether its by robbing/torturing them or simply having a debate with them. It definitely provides some really great RP.

I think this should be used more often for other groups that are discriminated against IG. Always try and role play arguments out instead of scrambling to get someone banned.

That is an awesome way of handling it, and I could see how that would lead to some great RP. Though if I may ask if the comments were aimed at your character, how come it offended you OOC? Reason I ask, because personally I am trying to find out the reason why an RP action would offend someone OOC. Did the person offer any reason of you to view it as a personal insult? I have yet to experience such an event, so I am merely trying to gain understanding from others experience.

Scooter    51

I think some things should be allowed, no N words or anything but I mean seriously, this is the apocalypse, people are going to fight over differences. RP fighting has gotten slightly boring as people only fight hero vs. bandit. I would really like to see different religous groups war each other as well.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

To be honest, I would just avoid using racial slurs in general. I understand that some slurs can be used in an RP environment that cause no offense to others, however it is fairly difficult task to see the red line between being offensive and not.

In my mind, it's not worth the risk.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

-snip-

That is an excellent question friend.

When I receive the same derogatory comments IG that myself and my brothers and sisters receive IRL it just makes me sad as well as stirs a fire inside of me. Perhaps I shouldn't feel angry as in the end "It is just a game". But that is total bullshit. Everyone that role plays feels what their character feels. If they didn't then they are obviously not role playing properly. Perhaps not if their character is the complete opposite from himself/herself IRL, but in the end IC feelings always effect OOC feelings, regardless of how "mature" the individual thinks they are.

Nevertheless, racial comments always hit me hard as I know how serious it really is IRL. I don't feel angry when people say racist things against dark skinned or any other kind of people. Why? Because I'm not dark skinned. Don't get me wrong I don't like it all, in fact you could say I also hate that. BUT I don't feel the fire that I do when I receive discrimination that I, myself have experienced.

But when someone says "Hey towelhead" or something similar I get incredibly fired up about it because I KNOW how serious it is in reality. I experience it daily. Then that is when I truly become my character.

In conclusion I think people SHOULD be allowed to say derogatory comments/racial slurs in game. It shows who they truly are in real life. As long as it is not simple trolling. I personally know of a few people in this very community that OOC hate my people, but why should they have to hide that?

That leaves no room for discussion and ultimately it limits RP. This in NO WAY promotes racism. It simply allows people to be themselves, who are we as human beings to silence someone else because they have a different opinion to ourselves?

As long as people do what they came here to do which is role play. I'd say at least 50% of reports would disappear. People would confront each other or do as most people do in real life which is just ignore it. Either way I don't mind how people deal with it, I just think its nearly insensitive that so many people are sensitive about racial slurs.

"Oh I don't like that persons opinion, lets make a rule that gets them to shut the hell up!".

That will only serve to allow the issue to build up and ultimately just creat more racism and discrimination.

I just want to add that racism is about races. So if you would insult a muslim or christian or whatever, it can never be a "racial slur" or "racism". That type of flaming is known as "discrimination" based on religion.

So you see there is a huge difference between racism and discrimination. What i hate the most is when people try to cower behind the word racism when in fact its a matter of discrimination.

But you know, in game just never say to others what might be unpleasant to them OOCly and you should be ok. Treat them like you want to be treated.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

I just want to add that racism is about races. So if you would insult a muslim or christian or whatever, it can never be a "racial slur" or "racism". That type of flaming is known as "discrimination" based on religion.

So you see there is a huge difference between racism and discrimination. What i hate the most is when people try to cower behind the word racism when in fact its a matter of discrimination.

No, you are wrong misty.

A race is interpreted as a social, cultural, geographical, or religious affiliation in a large group.

Therefore, discriminating based upon religion is racism.

What I want to know, is where is the line drawn with nationality-based slurs? The character I play, while not racist or bigoted, will casually address people by their nationality in stead of their religion, ethnicity, etc. such as calling germans krauts and huns, russians and eastern europeans are soviets to him, chinese people as chinamen, british as redcoats, scots as Bravehearts or kiltsmen, referring to himself as a yankee, so on. While I do my best to try and make these remarks as inoffensive as possible, its something that worries me, yet is also a part of how my character addresses the world around him.

WHere is -that- line drawn? I can of course think of a few nationality-based slurs that are obviously no bueno, but I'd like more input since it's a touchy area.

In my opinion, I would just stay away from the racial slurs. It is a bit risky because there are some people in this community that will take this seriously and some that will not. I know it takes away from a character's traits but it is a risky thing. Some things like calling someone a yankee would probably be ok but you just have to be careful with how you say it.

Uriki    0

I think its safe to say mostly every body has seen or heard of my chars, theres never any acceptable way of saying these words they carry to much meaning, pain and history for most people they would be said to and thats one thing people seem to forget no matter if its RP these thing are just horrible to say to people and IMO if you say these things to people I dont want to know you.

Its a disgusting behaviour.

If you need to bring racial slurs in to it you're very dull.

But thats just my opinion.

Guest Daddy Kropp   
Guest Daddy Kropp

Personally, I would find it acceptable to say something about a persons nationality, I.E. Filthy American Scum, You Dirty Russian. Stuff like that, as long as it is not constant to the point of abusive. Actual RACIAL slurs, should be avoided and against the rules, because a racial slur can be taken extremely personal OOC.

Will-Mac    0

I don't see a huge problem as long you don't over use the words all the time. Actually let your character RP, so if you have a Islamic character, I don't think that he is going to be saying the "N" word every 5 seconds.

Here in the States, the Public School system is corrupted. A lot of dark skinned people call eachother "nigga", and as sterotypical as it seems that was White people began calling them during the Civil Rights movements. Which is a huge curve ball.