Server time (UTC): 2022-05-21 13:35

Year of the Zombie : Klaus [Old]

// Not sure if this will be any good (writing research papers kills my creative writing) but it will follow any character I play (kind of playing perma-death). The title is a spin on Chinese New Year, but I guess after the outbreak every year is the year of the zombie. Enjoy :)

Chapter One: Klaus Johannsen, Running up that Hill

Klaus had always been curious person. But nearly two years into the largest catastrophe known to man, curiosity was a dangerous trait to possess.

He had traveled so far and met many people, good and bad. But every time Klaus stopped moving, he let people down, and people he cared for had died. So he kept on the move, as an aspiring Photographer you would think he was living the dream, but the reality was a nightmare. Klaus had had enough, he was going to stop moving and find a place to call home.

Somewhere north of Kabanino, 8pm

Klaus walked down the small dirt road, the eerie red glow of flares in the town behind him filled the night air with a red hue as though he was edging closer to hell. Klaus’ stomach groaned, Kabanino had been the third town he hunted for supplies in, but he had left empty handed. It didn’t surprise him, but it left him drained of hope. Before he returned to his safe house, Klaus wanted to a take a peek into the airfield. He had seen the compound from a distance, and the flashes of light that leaked through the crumbling perimeter caught his curiosity.

A few minutes later and he slowly approached the perimeter, with only the full moon faintly illuminating the way, Klaus took caution in finding a gap in the wall. Once inside he reached into his backpack to grab a flare. A few feet to his right he could make out the rough shape of a watch tower, from which he could get a better view onto the airstrip. As he climbed up he felt the calm whistling breeze of a nearby tree and the rustling of leaves. He ignited the flare with a twist of his hand, and before Klaus could savor its warm embrace he lobbed it into the darkness. The red pulse descended near the runway, revealing the shambling figures of creeps.

“Dozens of infected, and many more undoubtedly skulking in the darkness.” He muttered to himself in a hoarse defeated tone. The hope was definitely crushed now, he thought.The calmness dissipated when the ghoulish breathing of a creep erupted in Klaus’ right ear. Before he caught a glimpse of the hanging corpse barely two feet away, a hand swiped past Klaus’ face. He flinched, sending him tumbling off the watchtower with a hard landing.

Klaus looked up at the night sky as it grew dim, the red glow ebbing away as his mind shut down.

//Replace the hanging zombie with accidentally vaulting off a watchtower to know what really happened. Careful when unequipping binocs kids.

• MVP

Good read!

I feel sorry for Klaus D:

• Emerald

Nice story. I really like this line:

"Klaus walked down the small dirt road, the eerie red glow of flares in the town behind him filled the night air with a red hue as though he was edging closer to hell."

It really paints a picture in my mind.

Good read!

I feel sorry for Klaus D:

Haha thanks, and don't worry, things get better for him... eventually.

Nice story. I really like this line:

"Klaus walked down the small dirt road, the eerie red glow of flares in the town behind him filled the night air with a red hue as though he was edging closer to hell."

It really paints a picture in my mind.

It took me a while to right that one line, I was happy with the end result :)

The edge of the Airfield, roughly 9pm

Klaus opened his eyes, his head was throbbing and the lower half of his body was numb. He slowly turned his head to take in his surroundings. That’s when his memories came flooding back. The faint figure of the hanging zombie was swinging wildly in the darkness like a cannibal piñata, arms clawing at the air in a futile effort to feast.

Klaus lifted himself up into a seated position, his shirt was damp and clinging to his back. Determining it had not rained since he blacked out, Klaus received a jolt of pain when he went to caress the wound. He slowly began to panic, he was unaware of how long he was out, his watch was broken and the night told him nothing. For all he knew he had lost a lot of blood. The feeling in his legs was still dulled, but he had the urge to flee, to get away as far as possible and get back to the relative safety of his camp. His last flare had long since died out, and any attempt to reach for his backpack resulted in agony. He rolled on his chest, desperately trying to escape the hungered groans above.

In the distance was a light, too dim to illuminate his surroundings, but the faint glow gave him a ray of hope to hold on to. He heard the crack of gunshots.

Survivors! Surely they will help me. There’s only one way to find out…

Klaus pushed on, dragging his body towards the light. With every inch it got brighter, and his body was more empowered. Klaus had reached a sudden state of tranquility. It was just him and the salvation in front of him, he shut out the corpses, the groans and the pain. For the first time in a long time, he thought of home. He saw his father strolling in from another day at the office, and the smell of his mother's perfume. Taking a gap year to tour Europe was the best choice Klaus has ever made.

Because I won’t be there when they die. His mind said solemnly.

The light was blinding him now, he was so close, the feeling in his legs returned with the pump of adrenaline. He scrambled to the source of the light on his hands and knees, a small lamp that led to the barren airstrip. Klaus used the lamp to hoist himself onto his feet, and kicked the lamp in frustration. Up ahead were the silhouettes of two buildings. One was deserted and and hard to describe, the other was lit up like a Christmas tree. A mass of creeps surrounded the exterior, scurrying like rats trying to get in.

It seems I’m not the only one who needs help.

Through gritted teeth, Klaus took out his crowbar from his backpack, made sure he had his pistol, checked his shotgun was loaded and limped toward the tower.

• MVP

Good job on the 2nd part!

I loved it!

Several minutes later...

Klaus hobbles into what appears to be a fire station for the airstrip. He closed the door softly, panting heavily from his worsening condition.

His mind was racing. Did the bastards spot me? He couldn't be sure, not unless he dared to poke his head back out there. Klaus hesitated as he went to push the door open a crack, raising his crowbar and bracing himself for the horde. He took a glimpse across the airfield towards the control tower. Infected pushed against the door only to be shot by the determined survivor and added to a growing pile at the bottom of the steps.

He’s got the place on lockdown pretty well, and I can’t get to him without the crowd outside dispersing. But neither have I got the strength, or ammunition to tackle that many creeps. Klaus made his way cautiously through the fire depot, eventually settling in a vantage point overlooking the airstrip. The control tower was still alight from signal flares.

“A fucking beacon for every creep in a mile radius. Unless...” Klaus noticed a backpack huddled in the corner of the room. It was worn and splashed with dried blood, but after rooting through its contents Klaus found a morphine syringe and a smoke grenade as well as other items that he considered would be useful if he gets out of this place. Grasping his thigh tightly, Klaus plunged the needle into his skin and felt a wave of relief drift through his body. He knew the feeling wouldn’t last forever, but he wasn’t thinking that far ahead. He was focused on getting help, but in order to do that he needed to help the cornered man trapped in the tower.

He checked back on the tower to find to his horror the doors were wide open, hulking figures began to enter and were downed by gunfire. For every zombie that was killed, three more poured in. The man retreated to the second floor, no doubt for his last stand. Klaus knew he had to act quick, he laid out his guns on the floor and grabbed the smoke grenade. He threw it out of the window towards the hangers, hoping to draw the horde away. The smoke grenade detonated with a small bang, and a plume of smoke crawled across the airfield, turning vibrant crimson under the light of the flare. Klaus picked up his guns and proceeded to make his way to the control tower.

"I'm coming!" Klaus shouted. He didn't know if the man heard him, but Klaus didn't want the man to think he was alone.

From glimpses through the windows whilst going down he saw the majority of the horde had taken an interest in the latest commotion at the hangers, but some were still following the trail of human meat and gunshots in the control tower. Klaus stopped in his tracks as he saw the man on the second floor, pistol shots rang out until the bastards got a hold of him. Klaus could hear the poor man screams as his attackers pulled him down onto the floor out of sight. Klaus didn't need to see what had happened, he had seen it all before.

Klaus felt like screaming in protest, but instead slid down onto the floor overlooking the last set of stairs, drained of emotion and energy. Klaus had failed the stranger. Thoughts went through his mind on what he could have done better, but it all led back to the man lying there in a pool of blood. For now he will rest in the cold dank tower on the airstrip, avidly watching the stairs to ensure he doesn't meet the same fate.

Chapter Two Coming Soon

This is why I rebound my vault to another key. Keep it up.

In the end I rebound the binocular key after I found I was still accidentally pressing the vault key.