Server time (UTC): 2022-05-21 03:53

Are embedded mp3 files in signature disallowed? If so, why?

• MVP

I saw people using embedded MP3 files in their signatures, and I decided I wanted that too. Then someone removed it, presumably because it isn't allowed. So I ask an admin, who says he doesn't have a clue. I change it back, and now it's gone again.

Some people, including staff members, still have them in their signature. And frankly, if they're really disallowed, I would ask why? They don't play automatically. They are exactly the same as any other link: only if you click, it does something. I can understand gifs aren't allowed because they're in your face.

Unless of course it has to do with the filesizes of the MP3 and the issues that will cause. If that's the case, then please ignore and close this thread. :) (As I said though, there are other people including staff members that still have them in their signature).

• MVP

It seems like this thread has been missed by most staff. I'll ask about it. Hopefully we will have an answer for you soon.

• El Presidente

Not allowed, due to two reasons.

1. Performance. Each time you post in a thread and someone reads it the client must load the mp3 script. It slows down the loading time of the page, especially if multiple people have it.

2. It's a signature, not a personal media presentation. Use it as one.

I suppose this hasn't been informed officially to anyone so no warnings have been given, I will add it to the server rules since we now have a whole section just for the forums :)

• MVP

1. Performance. Each time you post in a thread and someone reads it the client must load the mp3 script. It slows down the loading time of the page, especially if multiple people have it.

2. It's a signature, not a personal media presentation. Use it as one.

I think argument #2 is silly considering people have links to their YouTube channels, videos and RP threads, and besides, a song can say as much about yourself as an image, and an image that says something about yourself is almost the definition of a forum signature.

Having said that, #1 is a fair point. It's a shame though.