Server time (UTC): 2022-05-28 14:04

Would a mentally unstable person be bad RP?

Alec

I want to RP someone that is absolutely batshit crazy, but I don't want it bordering on rule breaking of bad rp, like I know people pooping and shit is considered bad RP.

What if my character were to act friendly with zombies and be a complete psychopath when encountering people, say if I got robbed and I just ran towards them chanting "SHOOT ME!", would it be bad rp?

My current character isn't like this, but I was wondering for future reference.

• Emerald

Well the zombie part seems okey, but running towards your robbers is just no value for life. Maybe you can rp something like buckley bang, if you know who he is. If you do it right, you can do really good rp, however there is a thin line which is easy to cross :P

• Emerald

Lots of people roleplay mentally unstable people. It's perfectly fine and really immersive if done correctly. But if you do it wrong then people can entirely misinterpret your character. My best advice is to slowly turn your character more and more unstable, so it doesn't come off too strong and it gives you time to learn how to do it.

Your example "Shoot me" is a bit dodgy IMO. I would view that as not valuing your life if I wasn't aware of your instability. I would perhaps tone it down a little in that respect.

Good luck with roleplaying it if you choose to do so, it is one hell of a challenge!

I want to RP someone that is absolutely batshit crazy, but I don't want it bordering on rule breaking of bad rp, like I know people pooping and shit is considered bad RP.

What if my character were to act friendly with zombies and be a complete psychopath when encountering people, say if I got robbed and I just ran towards them chanting "SHOOT ME!", would it be bad rp?

My current character isn't like this, but I was wondering for future reference.

There is another great thread on this subject here somewhere with lots of comments, I´m to lazy to search for you, but you could try if you like.

Lots of people roleplay mentally unstable people. It's perfectly fine and really immersive if done correctly. But if you do it wrong then people can entirely misinterpret your character. My best advice is to slowly turn your character more and more unstable, so it doesn't come off too strong and it gives you time to learn how to do it.

Your example "Shoot me" is a bit dodgy IMO. I would view that as not valuing your life if I wasn't aware of your instability. I would perhaps tone it down a little in that respect.

Good luck with roleplaying it if you choose to do so, it is one hell of a challenge!

I used the shoot me as an extreme example, but thanks.

Yeah, running towards someone who is pointing their gun at you saying shoot me is no value for life. You could walk around talking to yourself, or pretend you are talking into a radio when in reality it is a tin can or something. Have split personalities etc. I have seen many people do good mentally unstable RP.

Also if you ran upto someone and told them to shoot you in the face and they did, what would you do? Would it not bother you and you just respawn and do the same thing?

• MVP

Yeah, running towards someone who is pointing their gun at you saying shoot me is no value for life. You could walk around talking to yourself, or pretend you are talking into a radio when in reality it is a tin can or something. Have split personalities etc. I have seen many people do good mentally unstable RP.

The no value for life thing is a bit overplayed. I'd argue you have a point if Alec was going to abuse it, but otherwise... you could apply the same argument to suicidal people. Surely we can roleplay those?

Having said that, it doesn't mean I'm a fan of the idea. I'm a fan of subtility above anything. I know you only described it in one sentence, Alec, but running around screaming "shoot me" doesn't sound very subtle.

• MVP

Nothing wrong with role playing a mentally unstable person as long as it doesn't come off trollish and an excuse to act however you wish. My problem sometimes with mentally unstable people is that they tend to go to very populated areas and let everyone know they are crazy in a very loud manner. In my experience people who role play mentally unstable people tend to be overbearingly loud and tend not to have consideration for other peoples role play but their own.

• MVP

Nothing wrong with role playing a mentally unstable person as long as it doesn't come off trollish and an excuse to act however you wish. My problem sometimes with mentally unstable people is that they tend to go to very populated areas and let everyone know they are crazy in a very loud manner. In my experience people who role play mentally unstable people tend to be overbearingly loud and tend not to have consideration for other peoples role play but their own.

A little bit of subtlety with a bit of shock value can go a long way.

But I know what you mean. It's difficult to find the right amount of "crazy" to make it believable and not overbearing...

I roleplayed a mentally unstable person who was scared of people, i would venture closer and closer to Prud each day just hiding and watching.

I may bring back that character at some point :P

In my eyes it's fine if you do it right.

This thread is kind of similar, so you can see some other people opinions here: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-people-roleplaying-mentally-disabled-characters

My opinion is basically this:

Well the zombie part seems okey, but running towards your robbers is just no value for life. Maybe you can rp something like buckley bang, if you know who he is. If you do it right, you can do really good rp, however there is a thin line which is easy to cross :P

• MVP

I am of the opinion that if you need to ask, then what you are considering is probably bad. If you have doubts whether your own roleplay will be acceptable, then I imagine others will judge it even more harshly.

I used an extreme example, but I remember one time my character was at the end of the rope (Been robbed, then someone else tried to rob me), so I ran up to them and just shouted "Do it, just end it all" with some tears for effect.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Emerald

There is actually a clan for mentally unstable characters. You just have to find it.

And be careful when doing such RP. One good indicator if you are going over the line is if people ask you to stop or go away. You are then annoying them and it is not enjoyable for them.