Server time (UTC): 2022-05-23 02:23

An Idea on how to make zombies less of an annoyance, and possibly more of a threat.

Zombies in their current state are horrible. It feels like they see and here everything (to me). There is almost no reason to pick up a gun other than against other players, and even then it's really only to rob other players. The main problem I've found with zombies is the fact that they are endlessly spawning. If you fire a gun, you'll start seeing an endless stream of them coming right around the corner. It doesn't feel realistic to me because even in you are in a city, it would take some time for zombies to get to you. This still only makes them more of an annoyance then an actual threat, because it means player can't use guns to get through the horde, and if they try to actually get to a place quickly, and fire a gun, UH OH, HUGE HORDE ZERG RUSHING YOU!

I do have a solution though, and that is to add a spawn delay to the zombies. Now at first this will sound like a bad idea but it's not what it seems. Here's what happens. Zombies spawn like normal from the 150 meter distance. However from then on there is a small delay from them spawning. Example: Someone comes into an area and there are 7 zombies. The person kills them and from then on it takes 5 seconds for a group of zombies to spawn. You can even make the delay proportional to the amount of zombies spawned(or perhaps killed). Example: Someone walks into the area and there are 7 zombies. The player kills them and from then on it take 7 seconds for another group of zombies to spawn.

Now of course this would make zombies a bit less threatening, but if you still want them to not be an annoyance and more of a threat, you can simple buff the zombies from there. For example, put them to 1000 blood per damage sort of thing.

Also if one of you posts "LOL zombies stay the same u just suck at this game", or something similar you are stupid and didn't read the thread. I'm okay with the current zombies, I can survive them, it's just right now they are still more of an annoyance than a threat.

• Emerald

The reason they are an annoyance and not a threat is because the animation. In a perfect world we could make our own but the awful animation already make them more annoying than they should be.

If we increase the blood damage they will be annoying and a threat. We need to find the middle ground.

I don't think there is any possible way to make zombies threatening this late into the mod.

• Sapphire

These zombies are more like the ones in, say - 28 Days Later. The idea is to sneak around and use tactics to avoid the undead because in real life... You would not use a gun in the middle of a city, or even a large town, because it WOULD draw the attention of many zombies. The amount of zombies that are drawn to sound in the game is probably less than it realistically should be.

I think it's too much of a hassle for too little an effect.

And, yeah... What Toorrik said. :)

I would just be happy if they would'nt be able to run as fast as they do. Becouse despite the fact that we run faster, they still run like an olympic runner. Zombies are dead, they have no working brain, they cant run perfectly, they would be limping alot and falling if they ran, Cmon arma! Make the game realistic i'm sick of having to wait 5 minutes to duck in a pine tree then wait till the zombie moves away from me!

• Sapphire

Something that really irritates me about the zombies is if i go through the effort of clearing an entire town of zombies.

No matter how many iv killed ,no matter how quickly or how slowly i killed them

They respawn INSTANTLY not even a 2 second delay and they are are back and even better already attracted to me somehow.....making my efforts wasted

• MVP

Not sure if the example you mentioned will make a big difference. 7 zombies = 7 seconds? 7 seconds isnt much. 70 seconds though, maybe.

Personally here's what I'd prefer to see:

Zombies are made -INCREDIBLY- dangerous, but has a -much- bigger spawn timer.

Triple the amount of damage they do now, make them all but guaranteed to cause bleeding and transfer diseases. And then buff the damage they can take before dying by at least 3 or 4 times. I'd love to see zombies with 20.000-30.000 blood so it gets more difficult and ammo-exhuastive to kill them with anything but headshots.

With current spawn timers they could be slaughtering players, which is why I'd prefer zombies to have a -greatly- increased spawn timer, maybe even up to half an hour or an hour before they respawn again. Not only could that potentially reduce server lag due to less zombies, but it would result in zombies being seen as a threat and being respected again. Stealth becomes important, people cant just ignore them anymore, and it would be possibly to at least tempoarily clear places of them.

Of course a suggestion as big as that would require serious balance-testing to be done so there's a good balance between damage output and durability. We want them dangerous, but not insanely so.

Regardless, any tweaking making the zombies more powerful will be met with complaints, because by now so many people are used to this not really being a zombie survival, but rather a PvP survival. Its a shame, and a side-effect of the zombies being so easily ignored.

A separate suggestion is to add more kinds of zombies with different features and stats to "bring the fear back", but that's a different suggestion entirely, I think.

• MVP

Triple the amount of damage they do now, make them all but guaranteed to cause bleeding and transfer diseases. And then buff the damage they can take before dying by at least 3 or 4 times. I'd love to see zombies with 20.000-30.000 blood

I zoned in on this section. I love this. Not viable with the current spawnrate, but would be awesome with delayed spawns. Powerful zombies would definitely bring the fear back. One tiny little fuck up and you are dead. Have fun looting Stary tents with these monsters wandering around. Players will have a much larger risk associated with previously simple tasks.

+1.

btw Nice topic and ideas OP.

Interesting responses. I do like Tomeran's idea, and if that doesn't work out I'm sure we can think up a way to balance it out or change it if this does actually get implemented. I hope it does, but it would require a lot of work.

It would be nice to feel like you have 'cleared' an area of zombies and it gives the reward of breathing space to RP and scavenge everything from a town. I shouldn't be able to slay 20 zombies with my crowbar with ease, so I would love zombies health and damage to be buffed, but only if a headshot is able to be instantly kill one.

I wish cities and airfields had more zombies to give the impression it was populated before the outbreak, and emphasise the importance of stealth (or bunker down and use every bullet) in these areas. I don't think this one will happen, but one can dream :)

• MVP

I'll point out here that they are NOT supposed to tesla an instantly, every time I have killed one there has been a lull before they respawn.

However every player spawn their own zombies so you may take out your spawned zombies then a nearby player will spawn a new set and then yours can respawn too. So basically the more players the faster zombies appear

To be fair, in DayZRP they hit HARD and they actually are a threat. I think they're good now, and I think that they should not be edited any further. I never go in stary now because I always almost die...

Crawling+hatchet=profit.

• Legend

Simple solution: dont fire a gun unless needed.

Its more fun to crouch and move around watching zombie movements.

Although I will agree they do seem to somehow notice you from miles away when yoour just generally standing still.

-text-

I really like this and also the additional, different types of zombies so there are places with more dangerous zombies then others but maybe with a higher value of loot/vehicles.

*whispering*bloodsuckers, i know you want them tomeran!

But yeah, i way longer respawn timer would be very nice so the roleplaying options inside cities get more and maybe also more interesting(taking over a town et cetera).

As they are now, they pack a punch, thats true, but still i saw a few days ago in the time of 3 hours almost all the time running into stary so the town was constantly filled with people and not one of them died, even though they didn't use stealth whatsoever.

Zombies have to be a threat again, i want to have to crawl through a city again and fear of my life, just like when i started playing the mod.

Guest Daddy Kropp

I would just be happy if they would'nt be able to run as fast as they do. Becouse despite the fact that we run faster, they still run like an olympic runner. Zombies are dead, they have no working brain, they cant run perfectly, they would be limping alot and falling if they ran, Cmon arma! Make the game realistic i'm sick of having to wait 5 minutes to duck in a pine tree then wait till the zombie moves away from me!

Since there is no "official" story to DayZ and what these zombies are (dead and reanimated like most zombie movies, or alive but infected with rage like 28 days/weeks later) You cant really assume that they are dead rotting flesh that can't run that fast. Honestly, The zombies now, are too easy. I literally just run around with a crowbar smashing them left and right and have almost no worry about needing to out run them or getting killed.

Like others have said, in real life you wouldn't be firing a gun in the middle of a large town, that would alert every zombie within audible range. Sure the respawn could be nerfed to allow a group to clear a town and loot for a few minutes, but overall I think the zeds should be stronger.

• MVP

-text-

*whispering*bloodsuckers, i know you want them tomeran!

Hey, you dont have to convince me. ;)

I've been suggesting them for over a year.

Its Rolle you have to convince on that one.

Since there is no "official" story to DayZ and what these zombies are (dead and reanimated like most zombie movies, or alive but infected with rage like 28 days/weeks later) You cant really assume that they are dead rotting flesh that can't run that fast. Honestly, The zombies now, are too easy. I literally just run around with a crowbar smashing them left and right and have almost no worry about needing to out run them or getting killed.

There is the dayzRP official background, if that counts. Of course it isnt dayZ general lore, it is only dayzRP specific, but that's where we are, so. :P

People have suggested before that the zombies may be "alive" and in the end, as the author of that lore, I have to say: No. Not at all.

They're dead walking rotting husks. Even if they somehow were alive, its been 20+ months since the outbreak. They would've died ages ago.

They're actually reaching the point where their mobility and functions should be reduced due to extreme decay, buuut...limitations of the game.

Guest Daddy Kropp

Good point there. Still overall, they aren't that much of a challenge unless you are running around firing shots off like a mad man... Melee = quiet.