Server time (UTC): 2022-05-26 07:55

New graphic card

Hello guys.

I hope there is some smart people who can help me chose a new graphic card/other upgrades to my computer, i want to run Dayz smoother than i am right now. :)

Specs:

Processor: Intel Neon CPU W3530 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs)

RAM: 6.1 MB

Graphic Card: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800

Any other informations needed?

So yeah, been looking at these two graphic card:

MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming 2GB PhysX

and

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5

So do i only need a better graphic card to run DayZ more smooth?, which one of the graphic cards is best(any other suggestions?) I would prefer if is in the same price class as those two above (About 230 EUR)

I would suggest getting the Radeon R9 270X. I have had a much better experience with Radeon cards with drivers (Which is a big deal). I have had both Nvidia and Radeon GPU's.

Also ARMA2 is very CPU intensive. To get the most performance you will need to get a new CPU and GPU.

I currently use a AMD FX 8350 @ 4.8ghz and two Radeon 7970's in crossfire and it runs beautifully.

I hope this makes some sense :)

• Emerald

They are almost equal, the MSI has a higher core clock speed so based on numbers I would say MSI but it all comes down to personal brand preference and experience. I am using a sapphire radeon 5800 HD series and Dayz mod and SA run stable but I could use an upgrade also. I am partial to radeon, their hardware hasn't let me down so far but like I said it will come down to brand preference. These days hardware upgrades are very closely matched. Another opinion is try to keep everything the same for instance if you have NVidia chipset go with NVidia cards and vice versa for amd.

Yes it made sense. :) but do you have any suggestion for a cheaper CPU? And what is most important/what will have the biggest effect? Thinking about buying 1 of Them first and the other later.

Thanks for the answer ;)

And thanks for the tip! I dont prefer any of them, i just want it to work;)

• Sapphire

Just a general question, could someone put into simple terms for me what you'd need to make ArmA look beatiful? I play with Anti-A off as well as Post-Processing Effects, other things are on Normal or high, I get 60 FPS but... It looks pretty bad, and I'd like it to look better. What'd I need? CPU and GPU or Graphics card?

Current Specs

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs) ~3.4GHz

RAM: 16GB (16384MB)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (11150MB Dedicated).

• Emerald

No the most important thing for Arma is single thread performance from your CPU, you wont really gain much fps from a 570/670 to lets say a 690 or a titan.

But with your current specs I would recommend to upgrade both at the same time.

I upgraded from a 5670 to a 7970, and went from low quality @30 fps to being able to play high quality settings (and high view distance) at 30-40 fps. Life is so much better with my new GPU.

Edit: I only have 2.9 Ghz CPU, I think as long as it's quad core (which yours is) it doesn't make a huge difference getting a faster CPU.

• Sapphire

You can get an r9 270x (which is probably the best value card out atm) and a AMD FX-6300 for $340 or 1845.96 krone. These 2 are really good for a long lasting yet budget build :D If you can't afford to buy both just wait and save up :D

Just a general question, could someone put into simple terms for me what you'd need to make ArmA look beatiful? I play with Anti-A off as well as Post-Processing Effects, other things are on Normal or high, I get 60 FPS but... It looks pretty bad, and I'd like it to look better. What'd I need? CPU and GPU or Graphics card?

Current Specs

Well Mush, your CPU is plenty for ARMA 2. Here are some Benchmarks- http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3770+%40+3.40GHz

And to sum it all up you need to get a new graphics card to be enjoying ARMA 2 at high/max settings. I would recommend getting the http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161442

Also if you overclock that GPU you will get a noticeable performance increase over stock speeds.

• Sapphire

Current Specs

Well Mush, your CPU is plenty for ARMA 2. Here are some Benchmarks- http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3770+%40+3.40GHz

And to sum it all up you need to get a new graphics card to be enjoying ARMA 2 at high/max settings. I would recommend getting the http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161442

Also if you overclock that GPU you will get a noticeable performance increase over stock speeds.

In a way, would not the R9 290x help out a bit more than the 270? O.o

I have the "stock" version of the 290x and I'd say it is kinda MEH, but that is because the stock fans are actually terribad. xD

• Sapphire

Current Specs

Are there any NVIDIA Graphics cards you could suggest? :)

Guest Astycc

Current Specs

Are there any NVIDIA Graphics cards you could suggest? :)

770, I have the 4GB version and it runs shit tons better than any AMD GPU I have had in my system!

• Sapphire

AS Astycc says, some Nvidia GPU's will run better than what AMD gives you, but AMD have a better bit-rate.

AMD=512 vs Nvidia=386 (Or something along those lines). :P

• Emerald

AS Astycc says, some Nvidia GPU's will run better than what AMD gives you, but AMD have a better bit-rate.

You are talking about bandwidth not bit-rate. And yes AMD has more bandwidth but that doesn't necessary means its better. As you would have to have more memory controllers on your PCB for higher bandwidth, therefor Nvidia can push more memory on less bandwith.

• Sapphire

You are talking about bandwidth not bit-rate. And yes AMD has more bandwidth but that doesn't necessary means its better. As you would have to have more memory controllers on your PCB for higher bandwidth, therefor Nvidia can push more memory on less bandwith.

Yeh, my bad with that.

Phone ain't that happy about certain words.....

But I would say that Nvidia can push more than AMD. :)

Maybe you should go for the 780?

Been chatting with a Danish computer site, they said that there is many different sizes of CPU' so i might just wait a bit longer and then buy a new computer instead of upgrading the one i got right now, because then i might have to go out and buy a new motherboard aswell and so on..