Server time (UTC): 2022-05-21 03:23

General RP Questions

I've seen a recent string in questions RP related, some about stuff such as holding a camera IC to torture related things and what-not.

Why not make a thread specifically to answer any questions about RP? The what to do's and what not to do's.

So post any questions, you can be a newcomer or a experienced player, it can be an easy questions or a extremely hard one. I'll try and answer any question to the best of my ability, but anybody is welcome to chime in, maybe I'll learn something new!

Ask away!

Guest magw33d

Just one from me, any tips for role playing being tortured , I've never been to good at that RP.

I've never been tortured, but I've done it to many, many people before. I like it when people are vocal and reply emotively to torture techniques you perform on them.

I don't like it when they try to escape by running away, or reply with sarcy comments, as if their character is unbreakable. If a guy is running a blunt razor across your throat, and whispering in your ear it would kind of mess you up.

What a torturer does to you is only half of the roleplay. If they didn't leave the response up to you it defeats the point of committing to that narrative in the first place. It would also be godmodding if they did not leave the response up to you, so get creative.

If somebody is heavily breaking RP, can i kill them? For example, some guy came to Prud Lake yesterday crab walking around the lake yelling "FRANKIEEEEEEEEE" in that situation, what am i to do as i cannot record and i can't get the guys name and he is completely destroying any good RP going on at the time.

• MVP

Just one from me, any tips for role playing being tortured , I've never been to good at that RP.

Well, no one is good at that RP. Or at least virtually no one. That's because it's incredibly difficult to roleplay emotions and especially pain. You can't relate to extreme pains if you've never experienced them, and even then it's hard to pretend.

I've heard some people try to scream and cry and whatnot but none ever sounded realistic in my ears. But "good RP" for me is trying your best. So, just try your best. ;)

Guest Zach hunter

I've never been tortured, but I've done it to many, many people before. I like it when people are vocal and reply emotively to torture techniques you perform on them.

I don't like it when they try to escape by running away, or reply with sarcy comments, as if their character is unbreakable. If a guy is running a blunt razor across your throat, and whispering in your ear it would kind of mess you up.

What a torturer does to you is only half of the roleplay. If they didn't leave the response up to you it defeats the point of committing to that narrative in the first place. It would also be godmodding if they did not leave the response up to you, so get creative.

Thanks, I shall keep this in mind, and I have only been tortured once, don't exactly remembered what happened I just want to improve incase is happens again.

• MVP

If somebody is heavily breaking RP, can i kill them? For example, some guy came to Prud Lake yesterday crab walking around the lake yelling "FRANKIEEEEEEEEE" in that situation, what am i to do as i cannot record and i can't get the guys name and he is completely destroying any good RP going on at the time.

Alert a member of staff.

Or type OOC for someone to record.

Killing him can end up aggravating the situation and working against you. Besides if he had anyone with him they may react, then leading to a potential baiting report.

People that do that look for attention, best thing you can do is ignore them and inform the relevant people that can deal with it.

Alert a member of staff.

Or type OOC for someone to record.

Killing him can end up aggravating the situation and working against you. Besides if he had anyone with him they may react, then leading to a potential baiting report.

People that do that look for attention, best thing you can do is ignore them and inform the relevant people that can deal with it.

Thanks buddy, I'm going to download frap and pop it on when this stuff happens anyway after that incident.

For me, it helps to switch to Text RP on these kind of things since I don't want to scream (I live in a house with 3 others)

Display emotions in chat like *Grunts to the pain* You know what I mean, right? It's good to also play freaked out and scared and not the un-realistic "badass unbreakable" type.

Guest John Le Bear

Relating to this, what are peoples opinions on the victims screaming over direct (not too loud to make the microphone break up)? Is it more immersive? Or just irritating?

I have done it before when being tortured, so I was basically screaming and grunting for a good 10 minutes, though i couldnt tell if it was helping increase the rp in the situation.

• MVP

Relating to this, what are peoples opinions on the victims screaming over direct (not too loud to make the microphone break up)? Is it more immersive? Or just irritating?

I have done it before when being tortured, so I was basically screaming and grunting for a good 10 minutes, though i couldnt tell if it was helping increase the rp in the situation.

On one hand I think switching to text RP is a bit odd and takes away the immersion (not necessarily the text RP itself, but the sudden switch from voice to text). On the other hand, I haven't heard many people who could pull off a realistic scream.

Personally I'd say that if you are willing to scream for ten minutes straight while sitting alone behind your computer, you should. I'm not going to because it will scare my roommates. But as unrealistic and awkward as an actual scream may sound, in my opinion it's a better choice than switching to text RP.

Which doesn't mean switching to text RP isn't a valuable option, of course. :)

What you can also try is a sort of muffled grunt. Pretend you're biting on something that mutes the sound of your scream. There are more ways to emote pain than making a lot of noise.

I just hit myself in the nuts whenever my character is harmed.

0.o

I hope you don't get tortured often.

• Legend

Yes please.

It's a good idea to go OOC to warn them that what they're doing is considered trolling. If they don't stop, try to get someone recording and/or witnesses who will back you up.

Realize that by killing him, you're running the risk that he has friends nearby who will kill you.

But yeah, the best thing is to try to find an Admin on TS. We have pretty good coverage these days, especially during prime time.

• Emerald

I have a question. When someone ask for ID, do I just type *ID* in global chat or I can type *hands ID over*? do I have to put the ** or some other symbol??

Thanks

Always put the ** Symbols, because that means that you're making an action IC. Simply typing *ID* is usually seen as lazy RP, majority of the people will prefer if you write something in style with *Shows the man a passport bearing name Rafael Abd Allah*, or something in does lines. Or you could just tell him that you don't carry ID.

I have a question. When someone ask for ID, do I just type *ID* in global chat or I can type *hands ID over*? do I have to put the ** or some other symbol??

Thanks

Always put the ** Symbols, because that means that you're making an action IC. Simply typing *ID* is usually seen as lazy RP, majority of the people will prefer if you write something in style with *Shows the man a passport bearing name Rafael Abd Allah*, or something in does lines. Or you could just tell him that you don't carry ID.

Thanks. I'm new to this. I ran into some good folks (one was named Ryan 'Make' Leary) today, who picked me up (actually saved me)and was ask ID. I did the *ID* but it didn't feel right. They then handed me pen and paper. I didn't give it back :-(

Now I know. Thanks!!

Guest Zach hunter

For me, it helps to switch to Text RP on these kind of things since I don't want to scream (I live in a house with 3 others)

Display emotions in chat like *Grunts to the pain* You know what I mean, right? It's good to also play freaked out and scared and not the un-realistic "badass unbreakable" type.

Thanks Carib, i shall keep this in mind aswell.

Don't play the ID game.

Is the ID game still a thing? I remember a while back everyone would just scream "SHOW IDEEE" to see what clan you were in.

It's been less of a problem in the last two months, but then again, Frankies fans are joining so...

Things to keep in mind, just remember when around them to show them how to Id themselves properly. :)

• MVP

Tip of the day:

Funny RP is good RP.

Arma 2 limitations make super serious roleplay pretty boring.

I'd say I disagree entirely, but that depends on the level of "fun" you're talking about. I like subtle fun. I don't like "lol look at me I'm hilarious" in your face fun.

There is plenty of room (and more) for serious RP. Knock on The Watcher's door and see for yourself.

Guest Leguminosae

Tip of the day:

Funny RP is good RP.

Arma 2 limitations make super serious roleplay pretty boring.

I'd say I disagree entirely, but that depends on the level of "fun" you're talking about. I like subtle fun. I don't like "lol look at me I'm hilarious" in your face fun.

There is plenty of room (and more) for serious RP. Knock on The Watcher's door and see for yourself.

Perhaps I will if I get accepted, that was more of an opinion that advice. Having a good laugh is a lot better than sitting around typing *bla bla* did *bla bla*, obviously you can but...a good accent and motive goes a long way instead of sitting around a camp fire scratching your ass.

And when I say laugh I don't mean trolling and jumping around, entertaining would be a better way of putting it.