Server time (UTC): 2021-10-22 18:59

Regarding Slave Roleplay

• MVP

So it seems there's a growing trend to roleplay as slavers. Slaver groups seems to be on the rise and there's been much RP about it lately. I keep having my rangers run into them, but I have personally never encountered a single slaver, I've never even been kidnapped by SDS and sold as a slave. (nor do I have a particular interest for that to happen. :D )

Im making this thread because I am genuinly curious: How does this RP usually take place? In what way is it conducted? At first glance it strikes me as something that could be quite harsh and time-exhuastive against the victims, but I havent seen any notable amount of complaints about it so I assume it is being done in a fashion that is more or less entertaining for the people involved?

This thread is meant for people that have experienced it to share their opinions on their experience, as well as "practitioners" of the slave RP to explain how they usually do things. It is not necessarily meant as a thread to bash slave roleplay, but rather one I made in genuine curiosity to learn more of it and what possible effect it has on the community. Perhaps ideas to improve it can also be raised.

Looking forward to see people's replies on this.

• Sapphire

So it's actually funny you made this thread due to the group of us who have been running around by the name wengu brothers. We are in turn, weapon traders and slavers. I think people have greatly enjoyed the slaving thing as we give everyone a fair chance. If somebody wants to buy this slave and release them, than that's fine, we are in it for the buisness. We will roleplay out certain slaves being bigger than others so they can do harder task like chop down trees. Most of our slaves have been sold relatively quick which I was quite suprised about. But even still our group has some great new potential coming soon .

To sum up what im saying: it is very fun being a slaver AND a slave. It offers roleplay beyond the robbery which people would normally not get. I think people genuinely enjoy that as long as it fair for them and they have an actual chance of making it out alive.

Edit: I would love to take you as a slave sometime tomeran :D

Guest MARTiN

Dont worry, SDS will take care of competition.

But OT:

Usually when we have slaves we give them a radio and see if their mates are intrested in trading.

Sometimes we make them do stuff to earn their freedom, example "do you know how to repair a vehicle?"

And then sometimes we "play" with them

"come with us and find a wheel"

But problem there is that when were out looking for things they need something to protect themselves with, and thats a big trust issue on some people, say we have an Outlaw, if we give him a weapon i think that he wouldnt hesitate to kill us.

And we arnt really treating them as slaves were treated, we try to keep em healthy and full on blood because if we want to sell the slave, the buyer should get a healthy and functional slave.

And usually if nothing is happening and its boring for the slave, we usually let them go or something similar.

• MVP

So it's actually funny you made this thread due to the group of us who have been running around by the name wengu brothers. We are in turn, weapon traders and slavers. I think people have greatly enjoyed the slaving thing as we give everyone a fair chance. If somebody wants to buy this slave and release them, than that's fine, we are in it for the buisness. We will roleplay out certain slaves being bigger than others so they can do harder task like chop down trees. Most of our slaves have been sold relatively quick which I was quite suprised about. But even still our group has some great new potential coming soon .

To sum up what im saying: it is very fun being a slaver AND a slave. It offers roleplay beyond the robbery which people would normally not get. I think people genuinely enjoy that as long as it fair for them and they have an actual chance of making it out alive.

I didnt specificly make the thread about the wengu slavers, SDS has been in the "slave buisness" for ages. But your group has certainly played a part, yes. :D

It sounds to me like you keep them as hostages and have them do things like manual labour and such before they're sold. That sounds reasonable enough, especielly if it happens within a narrow timeframe.

My initial concern was that slavery roleplay could possibly open up to some quite degrading stuff towards the victim ("heel dog and call me master! Now lick my boots!" etc. See 12 years a slave for other various horrible examples) but if that's avoided then that's a very good thing.

Another question, what happens if the person in question has to log? Because it sounds to me like being a slave can take quite a lot of time and "lock" a person into a roleplay situation even when RL may demand them to log of. Are those situations respected on a "RL comes first"-basis? This is a concern I had with hostage-rp before and something I've actually been subject to a few times. At one time I was being held hostage for a long time and really needed to log off, but I was threatened with a combat log report if I did so.

• Sapphire

I didnt specificly make the thread about the wengu slavers, SDS has been in the "slave buisness" for ages. But your group has certainly played a part, yes. :D

It sounds to me like you keep them as hostages and have them do things like manual labour and such before they're sold. That sounds reasonable enough, especielly if it happens within a narrow timeframe.

My initial concern was that slavery roleplay could possibly open up to some quite degrading stuff towards the victim ("heel dog and call me master! Now lick my boots!" etc. See 12 years a slave for other various horrible examples) but if that's avoided then that's a very good thing.

Another question, what happens if the person in question has to log? Because it sounds to me like being a slave can take quite a lot of time and "lock" a person into a roleplay situation even when RL may demand them to log of. Are those situations respected on a "RL comes first"-basis? This is a concern I had with hostage-rp before and something I've actually been subject to a few times. At one time I was being held hostage for a long time and really needed to log off, but I was threatened with a combat log report if I did so.

Im pretty sure we will be very strict on degrading people to do things such as "lick my boots" etc.... As you said, we stick to labor work.

Now for the having to log of scenario: That is always a tricky problem to get around. Of course we will let them go, we all understand irl comes first, however, we would hope the roleplay would carry on at some point in time. Not necessarily them being a dlave, but being aware of who we are or maybe that person being in debt to us of a payment. Most slave situations are 45+ minutes.

• Emerald

My thoughts exactly.

I have a need to log out pretty quickly if my daughter needs me. She's six months old and doesn't understand if daddy needs to play slave.

What am I supposed to do if I am a slave to someone? Of course I'm willing to carry on RP'ing a slave when I log back but that could take a while.

Are we supposed to commit to life of slavery every time we are playing?

I think we need slavery rules if this is acceptable. (more rules, yey!)

• Sapphire

My thoughts exactly.

I have a need to log out pretty quickly if my daughter needs me. She's six months old and doesn't understand if daddy needs to play slave.

What am I supposed to do if I am a slave to someone? Of course I'm willing to carry on RP'ing a slave when I log back but that could take a while.

Are we supposed to commit to life of slavery every time we are playing?

I think we need slavery rules if this is acceptable. (more rules, yey!)

The thing is though, we don't really have interest in keeping you since it is all buisness. All slaves we have sold have been released by their buyers so far. But that is honestly a good question. What happens after you leave our control?

Edit: if said slave is in a clan, that said clan will be contacted before other buyers so they can negotiate a release :D

Also tomeran, if you don't mind me asking. How did you hear about us?

I think it's obvious that IRL comes beforehand. If I'd have a slave or hostage, I have never and will never try to stop them or threaten them on out of character reasons. It's stupid and people forcing people to remain are idiots.

• Emerald

When I was a pirate back in BSP, We gave a guy a lift and he was droning on about how he was a badass and killed so many people so we decided to rob him, take him as a slave and sell him at Haven. We stripped him of all titles, names and accomplishments and addressed him as dog. When we got to Haven we tried to sell him, The ravens were ok with it but CLF wasn't happy at all (#FuckCLF) we ended up selling him for a tent just outside haven. I heard later that the man that bought him let him go and Dog ended up getting a gun from NEAF and trying to rob Haven killing a CLF member, I tried to warn them he was a bad guy...

As for the logging off, If he had said //I need to go, sorry. I would have no problem with it and let him go, RL>RP

• Sapphire

Only today, I was offered as a slave trade (by tnkydoe), but he had too much hate for me and my clan, so he decided to get vengeance and cut off me' phalanges :'(

Then killed me execution style.

Good RP.

• Sapphire

Also tomeran, if you don't mind me asking. How did you hear about us?

TOR has eyes and ears everywhere... ;)

• Legend

When in BTR we took slaves and marooned people on islands. The RP was all epoch so slaves would cut tree's down and such.

Im also interested in what happens

• MVP

That's absolutely absurd. Whoever threatened you with that should be banned himself.

I only play like two hours at the time. If something really interesting is going on I might play more, but sometimes you just have to leave. Doesn't even have to be a pressing matter. Maybe you need to work or study. If you said to yourself "I'm going to play two hours and then I'll do work" and it is taking more than that, you have every right to log off. Anyone who can't respect that is quite frankly a .

Of course you need to communicate but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. You could offer them your gear but chances are they already had that anyway. And for them, what else is there to care about? Breaking immersion? That's a fair concern but to that I say "deal with it". Have a little compassion.

Sorry for the semi-rant but I cannot believe anyone would ever threaten for such a thing. It's just ridiculous.

Guest magw33d

I once forced a guy called Lao Shengli into labour for his crimes against his future captive. He robbed the man, lied about it and then put his dishonourable, communist self amongst the inhabitants of Kotei Shima.

Consequently, during our initial interrogation of him after spouting out some communist spiel, his victim arrived on the island. We then lead him across the bridge with his head hung in shame as he was ousted as a dishonourable traitor in the name of the Kotei himself!

He lasted 5 minutes off of the island as a slave. He disobeyed his owner and insulted the Emperor. We killed him by firing squad for his crimes against the Hokkaidan Government.

I also treat the lower ranks as slaves. Make them do everything for lazy Baba. I once got Hofer, who was roleplaying as the Shoguns brother to lick my boot for dishonouring me. Honda Musashi never insulted my rank again after that...

• Titanium

Well it would be awesome if all traders are not african(Dont worry SDS you keep on going).

• MVP

From what I've seen so far of a few slave trades, upon purchasing the slave they were already quite fed up. With a newly purchased slave I tend to just try and perk them up with role play and find a way to pawn them off on someone else or set them free.

Role playing a slave trade is surprisingly odd and somehow accurate due to the person being forcefully made to carry out actions and behave like property, which in turn makes them quite unresponsive and dejected in their role play. Coming to that conclusion opened my eyes a bit but nevertheless making it somewhat entertaining is the aim of the game here.

Many phrases have been put into common circulation because of slave role play and people being made to do degrading things. As long as it doesn't go too far then there should not be an issue.

Forced labor in chopping wood and stacking piles is certainly degrading.

• Emerald

Slaver clan anyone? :P

Guest Feerless

The Weung brothers took me as a slave last night, they killed all my friends at Prud and I was the last survivor. The best name they could think of was Runt and they gave me 2 choices. Slavery or "Weung roulette" I chose slavery but they forced me to play chernarussian roulette soon after. Instead of using my better judgement and not pick the guy who I saw reload in the bushes I randomly picked one and surprised when he said I won stand up in joy only to be told to crouch again and shot in the head. Followed by just kidding you lost, was kind of sad but wasn't surprised. It was pretty fun.

I actually get exhausted mentally after RP'ing with slaves for a evening. All I can think of is, how can I make this more entertaining for the victim and to keep the "dead time" at a minimum. I normaly like to get the slave talking and to get a picture on what I can use him/her for rather then forcing something that would not fit that character at all. We never "dominate" our slave eighter. It is much more easy to get em to do things with sweet talks. Might be because I am the most friendly SDS u can ever meet ;)

Might be because I am the most friendly SDS u can ever meet ;)

Well, i didn't met you but Magan was quite friendly as well when i met him a few days ago. :P

On topic:I think there was a big conversation about a slaver clan in the "clan concepts you would like to see"-thread.