Server time (UTC): 2021-10-21 03:07

Survivor RP vs Soldier RP.

MyNameIsCallen

• Emerald

I just want to know guys, what do you prefer? And when I say Survivor vs Soldier, I dont mean that Soldiers cant be survivors. I mean like, do you like to run in big groups, getting in firefights, raiding towns and what not or do you like running it alone or in small groups, hunting animals to survive, sleeping under a tree instead of a compound?

I personally love the hardcore survival RP, being a hunter, gathering supplies to last me a long time, making a fireplace in the middle of no where, only using hunting rifles and/or shotguns instead of military loot.

To me soldiers/clans are a little more predictable than civs. Civs can be really sketchy and just initiate out of nowhere or they can be nice and rp with you whereas depending on the clan you can sort of predict what will happen. This is probably why clans use civilians in raids

Guest whitepointer

I myself prefer role playing as a survivor, it gives me this good feeling that mixes the game up for me.

I love to just sneak around and stalk people, hunt animals for food instead of going to the supermarket and tracking down a lake as well.

In a sense, it makes your experience harder to survive - more rewarding when pulled off.

I myself prefer role playing as a survivor, it gives me this good feeling that mixes the game up for me.

I love to just sneak around and stalk people, hunt animals for food instead of going to the supermarket and tracking down a lake as well.

In a sense, it makes your experience harder to survive - more rewarding when pulled off.

sneak around and act like a random civ to the people you are on TS with :troll:

Guest whitepointer

sneak around and act like a random civ to the people you are on TS with :troll:

Well.. I like to.. Ahhh test their RP.. I guess.

Or start fights with them.

• MVP

Survivor all the way. Although there's no reason soldier RP can't be good roleplay. As long as you make your character interesting and layered, who cares whether you are a survivor or a soldier?

What I dislike mostly are members of clans that define themselves by the clan they are in. They don't have their own identity but rather are "clan member X". I think a lot of groups have that problem and it's a real shame. Every member should work on his or her individual character progression.

• MVP

Well, one could argue that a combination of both styles could be interesting.

I tend to play a survivor that somehow became a soldier and the same person is now just a survivor again using the skills he gained earlier on.

Depth is better than a straightforward survivor/soldier. Complex personalities with layers of skills, specializations, fears, goals and failings make a character that is fun to play and great to converse with.

Does loot have much to do with it? If anything that is just your character's preference. Personally my fav is the local region's weaponry but I will take whatever I can if it gives me an advantage.

• Emerald

Survivor all the way. Although there's no reason soldier RP can't be good roleplay. As long as you make your character interesting and layered, who cares whether you are a survivor or a soldier?

What I dislike mostly are members of clans that define themselves by the clan they are in. They don't have their own identity but rather are "clan member X". I think a lot of groups have that problem and it's a real shame. Every member should work on his or her individual character progression.

I agree, Its disappointing whenever you meet members of well established clans and they all RP in the same manor, its great when you meet a group who are all diverse in what they bring to the game.

Well, one could argue that a combination of both styles could be interesting.

I tend to play a survivor that somehow became a soldier and the same person is now just a survivor again using the skills he gained earlier on.

Depth is better than a straightforward survivor/soldier. Complex personalities with layers of skills, specializations, fears, goals and failings make a character that is fun to play and great to converse with.

Does loot have much to do with it? If anything that is just your character's preference. Personally my fav is the local region's weaponry but I will take whatever I can if it gives me an advantage.

I do like the idea of a blended character who has the skills to survive and also the know-how to be in/lead a group, My character is just a survivor though. I have had other characters who were soldiers and the clan disbanded so they learnt to survive on their own.

The loot doesn't have that much to do with it, except for if you were to meet a hunter who lived in Cherno all his life, never joining the military and then they hunt with a KSVK, ya know?

• Sapphire

Civs are always more unpredictable which can lead to some interesting RP :)

• MVP

The loot doesn't have that much to do with it, except for if you were to meet a hunter who lived in Cherno all his life, never joining the military and then they hunt with a KSVK, ya know?

Valid point. Imagine hunting rabbits with that thing.

Elmer Fudd with a rocket launcher.

• Sapphire

Elmer Fudd with a rocket launcher is believable :P hes got a wide array of weird weaponry that he can just pull out of his trousers at any moment

• Emerald

I must admit... I have "hunted" cows with grenades before..... and a rabbit with a full PKP magazine.

• Sapphire

I must admit... I have "hunted" cows with grenades before..... and a rabbit with a full PKP magazine.

That was just Rolle trolling you as a rabbit and it has seemed to have worked :troll:

• MVP

I prefer survival RP over soldier RP.

Both are fun to do, but there are so many people with military background playing this game that i really regret my character having that same background. (even if it was very brief)

• Sapphire

My character may be from Military background, he still does not know much about surviving in chernarus. He hunts and tries to find water, that's about it. He never really gives his background story that much unless he needs too.

• Emerald

I used to love being a bandit, rolling in a group, taking what-ever I wanted from people to survive; rather than risking it going into towns to get resources.

Now that Brotherhood is over, I've changed the way I play. I play as a survivor now, I hunt for animals, save every water bottle I come across and help people out where ever I can; trying to maintain my humanity in the crawl world we are all stuck in.

• MVP

Its been over 18 months, so personally I think the definition between "soldier" and "survivor" might be a bit fuzzy. Most people know how to survive, that's essentially what counts and what people have adapted as.

I feel that sometimes people cling to the old cliches of "civilian" and "military" too much when those society standards have all but ceased to exist in this post-apocalyptic world, or at least should have.

Tom was at the beginning of the apocalypse a civilian through and through, he didnt even do basic military service in Sweden, and had never fired a weapon before.

Now he's a hardened and grizzled survivor that could probably give seasoned soldiers a run for their money when it comes to combat ability, especielly against the infected.

Experiences define you, not labels.

This exactly.

At this point in the infection, we're all just seasoned survivors, with a particular set of skills we've learned along the way.

Guest John Le Bear

This exactly.

At this point in the infection, we're all just seasoned survivors, with a particular set of skills we've learned along the way.

This :D

What I wanted to say has already been said, but Tomeran and Carib's posts basically sum up what I am thinking.

Its been a year since the outbreak, almost all of us should be reasonably skilled by now, those who failed to learn new skills, such as hunting, shooting, killing etc fail to survive, those who fail to survive die.

So there is not really a "Survivor RP vs Soldier RP". We are all the same in the apocalypse, we are all survivors.

• Emerald

Ok, I think some may have taken this out of context :D

What I meant was basically if you are starting a new character, which would you prefer to base your skills off of?

I didn't mean it like there is only those 2, I understand that characters develop over time, just which one do you prefer.

Guest ArcticStarling

Being a survivor gives me a reason for my shot PvP , but surviving suits my roleplay, my char is a convict, not James bond. He has no care for gear, he just wants people to be scared of him. Whenever he'll interrogate he'll give backask questions, takes food and drink needed tells him who he is and why you shouldn't fuck with him and he'll be on his way.

• MVP

I see. I think I'll prefer "civilian" then. Offers greater variety I think. Besides, military's a bit overdone.

Its less to do with "skills" with me though and rather how that person would react, as well as the background you could build from it.

Need more people RPing as a people who don't know much about weapons. There have been too many military people wandering around knowing every single weapon name. I think it's improving though recently. Hope it continues.

• Emerald

Need more people RPing as a people who don't know much about weapons. There have been too many military people wandering around knowing every single weapon name. I think it's improving though recently. Hope it continues.

I RP as a hunter type, I only use low level rifles/shotguns or a crossbow. Most of the time I make my own name for them like "Janice" my double barrel.