Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 08:02

[Guide] How To Be Friendly!

Day by day, I see people getting angry at each other over nothing but pride. I realise this may be part of their character, however there are some people out there who claim to be friendly characters, but get into arguments nonetheless.

What I'll be talking about here is basically how I teach members of my group to deal with other people in-game.

Firstly, everyone has the capability to be nice - no matter how hard it is to make someone like you, it is ALWAYS possible to get someone to like you. The way you achieve this, is persistently being nice to them. Some people have a chip on their shoulder, and will get at you for nothing. With these people, it's easy to snap and get angry at them, but try next time laughing it off and offering them something to drink or eat! I promise you, it's amazing how being kind to an angry person can turn them completely around.

This links with patience and understanding. Here's a different way to think of someone who's unpleasant: this person is unpleasant, therefore they must be so unhappy that they have to be unpleasant to other people, therefore I feel sorry for them because they are so unhappy... See how thinking like that changes everything? It's about understanding that an angry person is unhappy - even in my present signature "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." THEY are unhappy because THEY are angry/ unpleasant - they need YOUR help - show them some kindness and turn them around.

"But gritteh, I tried being nice and they were horrible to me" - keep being nice. You can't just give up after they say "f*ck off" to you offering a drink - that's why I said be persistently nice. Give someone endless kindness and no matter who they are, they will change at least a little bit.

There needs to be more people being nice, or else everyone will stay in their little camps of "heros" and "bandits" - you can CHANGE someone's character completely if you show them some kindness - I know I have many times, and I haven't been playing as Ajahn for long!

If you want to go down this path and change the world of RP for the better, please go ahead and try it! If you want, join my group - there's plenty more to learn! Finally, feel free to ask any questions or challenge me on something - I'm prepared to prove that the kindness that comes from Buddhist teaching is foolproof.

• Emerald

Nice guide.

• Sapphire

Good one.

Even if it is hard for some people to be friendly to others because they know that person by voice. Which is weird for the RP to be angry at someone you don't know.

People are most of the time cranky if you just see them which is understandable in a zombie apocalypse.

Nice guide.

Thanks man :)

Good one.

Even if it is hard for some people to be friendly to others because they know that person by voice. Which is weird for the RP to be angry at someone you don't know.

People are most of the time cranky if you just see them which is understandable in a zombie apocalypse.

Thank you my friend - Yeah cranky zombie apocalypse people can be turned around :D

• Emerald

Being friendly needs a guide...?

Yes. Us mankind are base, selfish animals crawling across the earth and only because we've got brains, if we try really hard, we can sometimes aspire to something that is less than pure evil.

• MVP

Yes. Us mankind are base, selfish animals crawling across the earth and only because we've got brains, if we try really hard, we can sometimes aspire to something that is less than pure evil.

Hmm, to me it seems the glass is half full.

Also, have you been watching House? That's a great episode. One of my favourite.

Yep, seems I can change people in game by guiding them!

This^^

Being friendly to people who deserve it should come naturally shouldn't it??

Not for some people, also, being kind to those who even don't "deserve" it is uncommon, but will only help you

• Emerald

Also, have you been watching House? That's a great episode. One of my favourite.

The glass is half full, but that's when the realization that it will eventually be empty hits you.

And yes. One of my favorite episodes as well.

Thank you, we are ALL perfectly fine how we are, it's just our outlook that needs to be changed

• MVP

The glass is half full, but that's when the realization that it will eventually be empty hits you.

I realise that. And I am enjoying every sip while there's still something left.

• Emerald

By all means a nice guide, but really a friendly guide...

I consider people that don't open fire at me or trys to rob in this game a friendly person.

• Emerald

Christ. I don't think I ever met somebody this adamant. We should have a beer together (or scotch, preferably).

• MVP

Christ. I don't think I ever met somebody this adamant. We should have a beer together (or scotch, preferably).

I am not as optimistic as I let on. :P I am a realist above all. I just think it is a waste of time to think negatively. I'd rather enjoy the contents of the glass than think about what I'm going to do when it's empty.

I consider people that don't open fire at me or trys to rob in this game a friendly person.

Yes, but that's not the point :). The point is being friendly to even those who try to rob you only benefits you and them.

Excellent guide! Just because we are in a zombie apocalypse doesn't mean we lose our humanity.

Thank you buddy

• Emerald

Yes, but that's not the point :). The point is being friendly to even those who try to rob you only benefits you and them.

I don't see any benefits in being friendly towards people who rob you, but thats due to my playstyle ;) but yeah i understand what you mean.

This post reminds me of some RP i had the other day. I walked into prud, one dead body all looted and one guy standing next to him. This looked super suspicious but i decided to be nice and it was awkward at first (i think he may have initiated and things went wrong) but after being nice, offering some help etc he stopped being so awkward and then i had some good RP with him.

Excellent guide! Just because we are in a zombie apocalypse doesn't mean we lose our humanity.

I like the guide but A LOT of people would lose their humanity

• Sapphire

Too bad in standalone no one gives a fuck about humanity!

• MVP

How to be friendly: Act like you would in Real Life. Or let people work out their own means of doing it.

Best thing to recommend: Play the game and try things out. That way you can see what works for you and not have to follow what works for someone else.

Do we really need so many guides? :D

• Emerald

"But gritteh, I tried being nice and they were horrible to me" - keep being nice. You can't just give up after they say "f*ck off" to you offering a drink - that's why I said be persistently nice. Give someone endless kindness and no matter who they are, they will change at least a little bit.

I don't know about this, being kind is one thing, but being persistently nice will lead to problems.

If you're constantly trying to help someone who shows no respect to you for doing so, you're making yourself look like a mug. People will see this and want in on it, meaning they will use your kindness for their own selfish gain.

I'm all for people being more friendly, my current character is a friendly guy and he helps people where he can, but will he help someone who's telling him to "fuck off" and showing him no respect what-so-ever? Hell no. He will piss in the next bottle of water he offers to them.

All I'm saying is, be kind, be helpful but know your limits. Don't make yourself an easy target.

Nice guide, good to see you're trying to sway people to the good side, but don't turn everyone into pushovers!

This post reminds me of some RP i had the other day. I walked into prud, one dead body all looted and one guy standing next to him. This looked super suspicious but i decided to be nice and it was awkward at first (i think he may have initiated and things went wrong) but after being nice, offering some help etc he stopped being so awkward and then i had some good RP with him.

Yeah, giving people a chance is always healthy.

How to be friendly: Act like you would in Real Life. Or let people work out their own means of doing it.

Best thing to recommend: Play the game and try things out. That way you can see what works for you and not have to follow what works for someone else.

Do we really need so many guides? :D

I'm giving a different way of looking at it so people can try, and find that it makes you much happier (whole point of Buddhism). The mentality of Buddhism is "try it, if it doesn't work for you, don't do it!"

So many people think they're being "friendly" but they're not, because they cause arguments which only cause suffering.

I don't know about this, being kind is one thing, but being persistently nice will lead to problems.

If you're constantly trying to help someone who shows no respect to you for doing so, you're making yourself look like a mug. People will see this and want in on it, meaning they will use your kindness for their own selfish gain.

I'm all for people being more friendly, my current character is a friendly guy and he helps people where he can, but will he help someone who's telling him to "fuck off" and showing him no respect what-so-ever? Hell no. He will piss in the next bottle of water he offers to them.

All I'm saying is, be kind, be helpful but know your limits. Don't make yourself an easy target.

Nice guide, good to see you're trying to sway people to the good side, but don't turn everyone into pushovers!

We teach the power of silence. Sometimes avoiding a situation is much wiser for your own safety. Obviously you take every teaching with common sense - blindly following what anyone says is unwise.

People sometimes use your kindness for their personal gain - however being in the mentality that you want THEM to be happy and enjoy your stuff is selfless and kind. This keeps you happy, as you don't mind that your stuff is gone.

Persistently being nice will not cause you "problems" if you include it with other teachings of Buddhism like non-attachment and actually wanting EVERYONE to be happy, even the person robbing you.

• Emerald

This is a zombie apocalypse bro, people don't give away everything they have to make people "happy". You have to survive, being kind is fine, but offering everything you have is plain stupid and I don't believe there would be many people (if any) that would actually be willing to sacrifice their life to be "nice" to others.

Being friendly/kind is fine, giving someone your last drink is also kind, but it's plain stupid if it's going to cause you to go without.

Looking after number one (yourself) should be the most important thing to think about in a world like this, if you're wealthy enough to help others, then do so.

This is just my opinion of course, not trying to slate your guide at all, I just think the way you worded a few things is a bit silly.