Server time (UTC): 2021-10-23 15:13

Official Music Discussion/Recommendation Thread

• MVP

In line with this thread about movies and TV series, I decided to create a discussion thread for music. Everyone listens to it after all.

I've been using the Forced Listening forum game to shove my music taste down other people's throats, but a dedicated thread to give each other recommendations is a better idea. E.g., you like Radiohead? Then check out (this song from) Coldplay!

Here's a format because formats are hip. I don't give a shit whether or not you use it.

[color=#FFA500][b]Which song/album did you listen to?[/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]What genre is it?[/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]To what other songs/albums/artists is it comparable?[/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]Describe the song. Why do you like it?[/b][/color]

Please, please use this to recommend music to others. If someone says they like a song of a certain genre/artist and you know a song/artist that you think they might like as well, respond! That way everyone gets to broaden their taste in music.

• Sapphire

Which song/album did you listen to?

Best of Queen

What genre is it?

Mainly rock but some songs are just weird and are also pop/classic

For example: Bohemian Rhapsody

[video=youtube]

To what other songs/albums/artists is it comparable?

There are many different bands with rock music just like queen but there are so many different styles in their music that it is really hard to compare to another band.

All bands have their own style of music. which you don't really find now days in music in my opinion.

Describe the song. Why do you like it?

I just grew up with queen, also the voice of freddie mercury is just from a god.

• Emerald

Which song/album did you listen to?

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius

51QS4YQSP8L._SY300_.jpg

What genre is it?

Heavy Metal

To what other songs/albums/artists is it comparable?

Listened to the Album due to the fact it sounded close to Mastodon

mastodon%20the%20hunter.jpg

Really Recommend them aswell.

It's Heavy Metal, they have a very "Hard, Industrial sound.

All heavy metal bands are unique.

The Genre is not for everyone, I would recommend try out softer bands

such as Witch(US), and Protest the Hero to get a taste!

• MVP

Which song/album did you listen to? A Rush of Blood to the Head

What genre is it? Alternative Rock I guess. Why the fuck did I put this in the template? I hate defining songs by genres.

To what other songs/albums/artists is it comparable? Radiohead, and the album OK Computer in particular.

I think of Coldplay as a less daring but more accessible Radiohead. It's like an easy-listening Radiohead. And this especially goes for A Rush of Blood to the Head. Their first album, Parachutes, was pretty good but a little too bland for my taste. Trouble is a great song but I could never get behind all those ballads. A Rush of Blood to the Head is more like Radiohead's OK Computer though. Some songs accompanied by piano, some by guitar, but a lot of them have that dark feeling Radiohead songs also have. It's a shame that vibe went away with later albums like X&Y and Viva la Vida.

Coldplay's lyrics are pretty boring (compared to Radiohead) but although vocalist Chris Martin isn't Thom Yorke, he has his own qualities and I can see why you would prefer him over Yorke.

The darkest songs of the album, and thus my favourite, are:

1. Politik (the best song of the album and Coldplay in general)

2. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

3. Daylight

Clocks is good too but most of you will probably already know it anyway. Most songs tend to change to something a bit more uplifting in the chorus or at the end, which is a real shame in my opinion, but it also makes for a nice contrast with the dreary verses.

Oh, and one of their newest singles that belongs on this album in my opinion is

. You might recognize it from the latest Hunger Games movie. It has the same recipe: dark, dreary, Radiohead-esque verses and an uplifting chorus.
  • Emerald

Which song/album did you listen to? NIP/Anders Spotify Playlist

What genre is it? A lot of different genres and can suit any ones tastes

To what other songs/albums/artists is it comparable? Loads, Rolling Stones Dr.Dre Wu-Tang

Describe the songs. Why do you like it?

I like these songs as there is a lot of variety so you could be listening to Queen then Jonny Cash, then Ellie Goulding, so it really mixes up the Songs so you dont get bored of listening to the same kind of songs over and over again, and with 190 tracks there is a lot of songs to listen to