Server time (UTC): 2021-10-23 15:00

Viva La Vida - Commander Voodoo's Rise to Leadership

PublicVoodoo

• Legend

Chapter 1 - Viva La Vida

Chapter 2 - The World That We Live In

Chapter 3 - Castles Made of Sand

Chapter 1 - Viva La Vida

Alex Carter was driving his car back home from the MI6 Headquarters in Central London. It was a typical summer day the sun was shining through the tinted glass of his Mercedes as he sped down the road listening to the Radio play

by Cold Play.

"I bet you wished you had a castle and was a king right?" Alex said looking to the rear view mirror to his young son strapped into the baby seat. Alex looked back down to the road with a smile on his face but that smile soon sunk when the file caught his eye on the passenger seat next to him. The brown document marked with 'TOP SECRET' across the front contained his next assignment, a country called Chernarus. Alex hadn't been home long since his last assignment maybe just 2 or 3 days at the most. He knew Sarah, his wife, wouldn't be happy with this news. As she put it 'Your job is separating the family' although it was never the case when she goes shopping and spends the good money he earns when she is not working as a nurse at the local hospital. Alex wasn't sure of the best way to handle this information but decided it would be better to just come straight out and tell her, that at 6am the following morning he would be on a plane taking off to travel miles away to a remote country for at least a week. Alex let out a sigh and put his foot down, he would soon be home.

Alex sat in his office, the news to his wife didn't go to well, as he expected. As soon as she saw the file in his hands as he walked in carrying his son she knew what it meant. Alex looked through the file on his desk whilst drinking whisky from a small glass. His codename for this operation would be 'Voodoo' and his assignment would look to last a week before an extraction by the Canadian Airforce 'The 501st'.

Chernarus looked like a country on the brink of bringing back the cold war. Information seemed quiet from the country and much of the EU and America was concerned by this. Alex sat back and looked to his glass of whisky the song 'Viva La Vida' was playing in his head, maybe it would be the last song he heard before being taken away to a prison or death by firing squad after being caught spying. He would never know the truth of what was going to happen, if he did he would have probably not woken up the following morning.

Voodoo wakes up in a panic. He is laying in the back of an Armoured SUV travelling around the mountains of Northern Chernarus being driven by men in suits. He had left his men back at Altar Castle whilst he went to see what his previous Commander 'Kaleb Roadie Parsons' had been working on behind the 501st's backs. The news of this place was told to Voodoo on the day of Roadies death and it frightened Voodoo into what he expected to find. This Lab in the mountains was being funded by a secret corporation to work on defences for the Castle. Voodoo was worried about what was being made in this Lab, would it be good for Altar and the other innocent civilians or would it be terrible like an atomic bomb? Voodoo looked out of the window to the mountains, the dream still playing on his mind along with the song 'Viva La Vida'. This assignment was well over a week, more like years and in all that time he never thought once about his family back home and he now wondered how they were.

• Emerald

A great read. I listened to the song whilst reading it. I read it slowly too so that the song would end when I had finished reading, was a great effect. I also like how you link back to the song in the background, I completely forgot I was playing the song but could still hear it, when you referred back to it I remembered it was there. A great read. Doesn't look like much, but it is short and quite powerful. I really liked this and hope to hear more of this story soon.

Also, for the song, why not use the embedded MP3 player thingy?

• Legend

A great read. I listened to the song whilst reading it. I read it slowly too so that the song would end when I had finished reading, was a great effect. I also like how you link back to the song in the background, I completely forgot I was playing the song but could still hear it, when you referred back to it I remembered it was there. A great read. Doesn't look like much, but it is short and quite powerful. I really liked this and hope to hear more of this story soon.

I thought it would be easier that people would play the song at the right time... plus its a reference. Heard it on the ipod yesterday and realised it was Voodoo's song by certain lyrics:

'And I discovered that my castles stand, Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand' -Altar Castle

'Shattered windows and the sound of drums' - Reference to Altar attacks

'People couldn't believe what I'd become' - SKA deal

'Revolutionaries wait, For my head on a silver plate' - Lewis's Revolution that gripped the server till Altar Castle was destroyed

• Emerald

I thought it would be easier that people would play the song at the right time... plus its a reference. Heard it on the ipod yesterday and realised it was Voodoo's song by certain lyrics:

'And I discovered that my castles stand, Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand' -Altar Castle

'Shattered windows and the sound of drums' - Reference to Altar attacks

'People couldn't believe what I'd become' - SKA deal

'Revolutionaries wait, For my head on a silver plate' - Lewis's Revolution that gripped the server till Altar Castle was destroyed

Ah, I understand now. I guess you could also consider the song to foreshadow what's to happen to Voodoo. After all, you did say about the whole SKA thing. Either way, was a great reference and I really enjoyed reading. Again, I hope this story continues!

• Legend

Half of it was nice, couldn't read the rest due to it being white, and white doesn't work with Tapatalk too well :(

Taken out the white writing

Guest Astycc

Half of it was nice, couldn't read the rest due to it being white, and white doesn't work with Tapatalk too well :(

Taken out the white writing

Thanks man, will read the rest now :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Legend

Chapter 2 - The World That We Live In

The Armoured SUV turns off the dirt road and into a bunker built into the mountain. The lights on the SUV ignite and illuminate a massive car park filled with military vehicles and lorries containing explosives and other biological material (according to the huge signs on the side). Voodoo looks around amazed this had to be a missile launch site created during the cold war, very industrial but with military build.

The SUV stops next to a sliding glass door that leads further into the mountain. Voodoo opens the SUV door slowly wondering what would be further in this place. Behind them glass doors would be the defence of Altar something that was being worked on over time by the previous Commander Roadie. Voodoo walks towards the glass door it opens by sensor when he gets close enough and inside the room has bright white walls and floors. "Welcome Commander Voodoo we have been waiting to see you" the tall man says in his white lab coat as he extends his hand. The man is Doctor Robert Cribb, the lead scientist on the defence project. He is tall with curly brown hair and dark rimmed glasses. Voodoo has heard of this man and seen the files, "good to meet you Doctor Cribb" Voodoo says has he shakes the mans hand. Both men smile as they bring their hands down to their sides, Voodoo feels relaxed around this guy, a lot more so than with the armed men driving him here. "Shall we start the tour then" the doctor says as he turns showing his hand to the next door in the room. Voodoo starts to walk for the door the doctor follows at his side.

Through the door there is a narrow corridor with many glass windows showing rooms on either side. The tour is brief in each of the rooms through the glass windows Voodoo sees things from weapons being fired into targets to medical equipment and vehicles. One glass exhibit catches Voodoo's eyes. An infected elderly man hitting the walls in rage blood gushing from his mouth and eyes. Voodoo had seen this many times over Chernarus so this wasn't a surprise, the main surprise came when the room filled with yellowish gas and once it had cleared the infected was on the floor dead. This gas infected the lungs and shut down all organs in the body so it was said by the doctor. Voodoo was both shocked but also intrigued.

The final window was in sight Voodoo looked through to see nothing. "Whats this all about?" Voodoo says as he turns to the doctor. In this instant a massive bang echos through the corridor from the window. Voodoo turns his body is in shock and he sees this creature looking out at him. Tentacles dangle from the face where the mouth should be and the arms are very long by its side. "Bloodsuckers we call these. Fast, aggressive and can kill a man with a few hits from their claws, Were trying to train them up now and are developing more" The doctor says with a smile on his face. Voodoo walks closer to the window and stares into the creatures eyes. These could be a good defence for Altar, if they can be controlled.

• Legend

Chapter 3 - Castles Made Of Sand

Voodoo sits on the roof of the tower at Altar. His M4 by his side and a bottle of Whisky in one hand. He takes a swig from the bottle then picks up the piece of paper from his side that has been playing on his mind all night, the SKA contract.

Voodoo reads through the contract unsure of what to do. The noise from below continues, people laughing and generally talking. Voodoo takes the sidearm from its holster and puts it to his head the last few weeks had been too much to handle maybe this was the best way. Ghost walks up the stairs and looks to the commander, he makes a dash when he sees the gun, he pushes the gun up at the right time the bullet exploding from the barrel and into the skies. "What the hell are you thinking commander!" Ghost shouts taking the gun from Voodoo's hand and throwing it across the roof out of his reach.

Voodoo just looks up to Ghost and lifts the contract to show him, "im not sure what to do" Voodoo confesses with a tear in his eye, the pain of making decisions and seeing the previous Commander get killed was eating at Voodoo's mind. Ghost looks in shock at the contract then put a hand on Voodoo's shoulder, "im sure we can make a decision in the morning you need rest Commander" Ghost says in sympathy. Ghost knows how much Voodoo has gone through over the past few weeks, he has had to take over the group after seeing the death of the previous commander and watch as people attacked the Castle over and over without any break. Tonight was a good night, the first in a long time that no attacks had occurred and the men could actually get some sleep. Voodoo nods to Ghost and lays down using his Backpack as a pillow, Ghost throws his coat over Voodoo as a blanket, moves the bottle of Whisky away and picks up the Contract. He takes it down the tower to the other men determined to help Voodoo with a decision.