Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 09:40

New gaming rig

so my pc has been runnig games at like 12 frames lately but it can run skyrim and Fallout at almsot 30 which is odd so ive decided its time for me to get a new pc or build one my specs in better detail here: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=4269976&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02498967-9%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

My budget is about $400 american dollars

To be honest for $400 you're not going to get much. Your best bet is to save up for a little while longer, only then will the upgrade be noticeable and worth it.

Only until you double your budget would you be able to get a computer truly worth investing in. Save your money and be patient :)

Follow the wise words of BigLittleShorts, you will get extremely little for $400, I would expect worse than what you have now considering it would have a terrible base graphics card if that. Save your money and buy a more expensive machine - it will be worth it for the power, the different between $400 and $600 is big, and definitely worth it. If you are passionate about gaming, it is an investment and therefore you may as well invest more to earn more!

Would an aleinware X51 be worth getting or would i be able to build one for cheaper or maby just get a new cpu and graphics card for my current pc cause ive been offerd a gaming pc for $400 by a a guy at the office

Would an aleinware X51 be worth getting or would i be able to build one for cheaper or maby just get a new cpu and graphics card for my current pc cause ive been offerd a gaming pc for $400 by a a guy at the office

If he's offering you that computer for 400$ in my opinion would be worth it, it's got an I5 which is always good, but the graphics card in it, the GTX 550 is pretty old.

If he's offering you that computer for 400$ in my opinion would be worth it, it's got an I5 which is always good, but the graphics card in it, the GTX 550 is pretty old.

hes not ofering me that hes offering me his rig its suposed to be able to run games real well ive not got the specs for it atm ive been told the alienware is over priced is that correct?

hes not ofering me that hes offering me his rig its suposed to be able to run games real well ive not got the specs for it atm ive been told the alienware is over priced is that correct?

Yes alienware are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced for the specs you get.

Now if you want someone to build your computer for you i would recommend

http://ironsidecomputers.com/

They've built my brothers computers and did an excellent job on them as well

Their cable management is top notch and the customer service is very helpful, also free shipping.

Their cable management is top notch and the customer service is very helpful, also free shipping.

The guy who offerd my actually builds computers for a living and said he would be able to build one for me as long as i pay for all the parts and for him putting it together for me

The guy who offerd my actually builds computers for a living and said he would be able to build one for me as long as i pay for all the parts and for him putting it together for me

Well if you wanted something decent it would cost quite a bit, in the $700+ range.

Well if you wanted something decent it would cost quite a bit, in the $700+ range.

i found this on the ironside website its around my budget would this work good for games like Fallout Arma Arma 3stuff liek that

http://www.ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28229&products_id=64&zenid=2b7a38cb9a4d015483c940769793f7d1

i found this on the ironside website its around my budget would this work good for games like Fallout Arma Arma 3stuff liek that

http://www.ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28229&products_id=64&zenid=2b7a38cb9a4d015483c940769793f7d1

Remember to select Windows 7 so you don get linux :P

I say its fine for that price, but people on the forums will say you need a Gtx770 and the most top notch processor on the market.

Don't listen to them you don't need an amazing rig to run games.

I would recommend going the extra for the Minion Advanced, friend got that one and it runs perfectly for him.

I would also recommend building the PC yourself as its WAY cheaper and when you finished building it and everything is ready you click the power button for the first time select the boot menu and install the OS and all works it just feels great.

Remember to select Windows 7 so you don get linux :P

I say its fine for that price, but people on the forums will say you need a Gtx770 and the most top notch processor on the market.

Don't listen to them you don't need an amazing rig to run games.

I would recommend going the extra for the Minion Advanced, friend got that one and it runs perfectly for him.

To be honest, you'd be far better off starting a build yourself. I put together my friends computer in under three hours and that was my first ever build. It is incredibly easy to do. It can sometimes run you up an extra $100-150 to get someone to put it together for you. The only reason I'd say not to build it is if you're using water cooling and you're budget you won't be.

AMD are terrible for ARMA, period. I have the FX8350, one of the top AMD processors and it runs ARMA worse than some Intel laptop processors. You'd be far better off going for an Intel build in my opinion. A few of us in the Imperial Dragons have AMD processors and we find that rubble doesn't load for us, we sometimes have up to half the frames of others who have Intel in our clan, they can get pretty hot and the stock cooler gets VERY loud.

i would not upgrade this pc as the power supply will not handle the new gpu and cpu. Besides the motherboard would be holding you back from upgrading your cpu and by the time you replace the motherboard, psu, cpu, gpu and the ram you basically have yourself a new pc

Just looked into the performance of that processor and it's quite bad. I've put together a build of a PC that has a processor that is twice as good as that AMD Athlon in ARMA, it also has a FAR better graphics card which will mean your performance in other games will be way better too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/BigLittleShorts/saved/3ZlU

It's worth checking out this video to see how well an Intel i3 CPU (Like I linked in that build) actually performs compared to one of the gaming standard CPU's, the i5 4670k.

[video=youtube]

The only reason I'm persistent on this is because I bought AMD and I wish I didn't, especially for ARMA. Also with the GTX760 graphics card I've linked, it supports Shadowplay which is a free game capture software exclusively to Nvidia. It is awesome.

• Sapphire

To be honest for $400 you're not going to get much

This exactly, what kind of FPS do you want to be running?

My PC plays every game at high+ settings at 60fps (I use Vsync to stop spikes) and it cost £800-900. It's alot but sadly that's is how much gaming PCs cost.

Guest Astycc

Considering just my graphics card comes to over $450 on it's own, I will just say what other's have said, $400 will get you nothing at all special, maybe a PC from 2005, but you may as well save up until birthdays/christmas and then change around that time.

• Sapphire

It will always be hard to upgrade to new parts IMO, you can either get something which is more than you thought, or something which is worse than you thought.

And it is better to build it yourself, I saved about 10-15% by building it myself. :P

When I built the one I have now, it cost me 6709,50 USD (In norwegian that's 40K).

And even though I went that far, the GPU's pulls it down. (And I am not happy with mine)

So when you are getting a new PC, always be careful not to bottleneck it. <(^^)>

Even though it will increase the price, if you are looking to play ArmA 2/3 and other games that are CPU heavy, go for Intel (Even though IMO the prices are shit), and a GPU from Nvidia. <(^^)>

Yeah, building your own pc will give this feel like: man, i created this monster, and it's cheaper.

And like someone said before, never buy alienware xD.

Alienware is like paying for the lights in the casing and not for the great specs (imo).

I recommend saving up some more.

Guest Caelyth

Well, I run Arma 2 on Solid 50+ FPS on nearly best settings (ignoring antialiasing on 16x and all that fancy shit - supersampling is better anyway). I built my PC myself for 800€ and got a i5 4670k and a GTX760 OC, MSI Board and Graphics and so on, but let me get to the point!

1. Arma is heavily reliant on your Processor

2. A decent graphics card is well enough

3. Think about investing in a SSD rather than a way better GPU (Removes fucked up textures all arround you when you turn arround)

Now, I dont quite know the prices at the other side of the pond but you should be able to get a decent rig for arround 600-700$, few things to remember:

1. Always compare prices

2. Regular stores are usually way overpriced, but have very good support if something breaks down, too. (Dell, Alienware etc.)

3. If you want to get your PC built by some store make sure that they dont try any fancy shit and offer you windows 7/8/whatever you want with it, and dont request like 200 Bucks for it (Happened to a buddy of me)

4. Don't save your money at the wrong places. Noise will probably not be an issue but I heavily suggest not buying a AMD Radeon R9 (ANY OF THEM), they sound like fucking aircraft engines. In general, AMD is okay for that price, at least for the CPU's, but be aware that they are indeed louder, produce more warmth and in general seem to break down quicker. (Aka: Think about a custom cooling unit to reduce the warmth and breakdown problem). For that money a regular motherboard (really anyone..) should do the job as long as it runs and has the slots you need. (Make sure that you maybe have 1-2 PCIe slots free so you can increase on number of graphics card/install a soundcard later or whatevur, you wont regret those 20 bucks, I promise.)

5. If you think you can handle building it yourself, then do it. If you're unsure, ask arround, there must be some guy that you know, or your friends know that knows how to do it.