Server time (UTC): 2021-10-22 20:05

Official TV series/Film Recommendation Thread

GingerHippo

• MVP

atwwWX3.png

This thread is going to be dedicated to everything to do with films.

Basically, there's a template below here and that has to be filled in correctly with the film that you watched, what rating you give it, why you're giving it that specific rating and if you would recommend it to other people.

This is due to the fact that many of us will get bored and are from different parts of the world. This thread will let people tell each other about certain films for when they get bored and/or need something to watch.

Not the most entertaining thread but it's just so everyone can give their opinions on certain films and help others who are struggling when choosing something to watch.

You can discuss films here as well if someone has recommended one for us all and you can ask questions about the film that they have posted about as well. This is because you need to know certain information about the films that you may be watching, right!

Don't feel afraid to have a big discussion about a certain film here either.

There is only one rule in this thread and that is if you're going to respond to someone's TV series or Film recommendation then please use this code to prevent clogging the thread up.

Click on "Reply" on the person who you're replying to, edit their post with the correct code below and go from there.

[color=#FFA500][b]Film: [Enter the name of the film that you're responding to here][/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]Tv Series: [Enter the name of the Tv Series that you're responding to here][/b][/color]

Film Template

[color=#FFA500][b]What film did you watch?[/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]Which genre is the film?[/b][/color] 

[color=#FFA500][b]Small Description of the film: [/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★)

[color=#FFA500][b]Why do you give it this rating?[/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]Do you recommend this film to other people?[/b][/color]

TV Series Template

[color=#FFA500][b]What TV series did you watch?[/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]Which genre is the TV series?[/b][/color] 

[color=#FFA500][b]Small Description of the series itself: [/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★)

[color=#FFA500][b]Why do you give it this rating?[/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]Do you recommend this TV series to other people?[/b][/color]

• Sapphire

Awesome idea!

Excellent idea, as a bored uni student I watch loads of movies from perfectly reputable sources and would love to recommend the best one I've seen so far at uni here.

What film did you watch?:Children of men

Which genre is the film?: Dystopian thriller

Small Description of the film: Decades after the world's females become sterile and the world plunges into chaos a former activist against Britain's dystopian government must help armed rebels transport a girl to the countries coast.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it?: ★★★★

Why do you give it this rating?: I'll chuck down all the things I can think of here. The film features somedownright amazing cinematography which you'll remember for a while after the film ends, combined with the well done setting you'll feel immersed right from the get go. You're never quite sure who you can trust, the characters are interesting though some of them can be annoying at times and as the plot moves on quite quick a lot of characters are fairly forgettable. Great film all round though, the story holds your attention and the twists and turns keep it fresh.

Do you recommend this film to other people?: Hell yes.

• MVP

What film did you watch? Escape Plan

Which genre is the film? Action

Small Description of the film:

When a structural-security authority finds himself set up and incarcerated in the world's most secret and secure prison, he has to use his skills to escape with help from the inside.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★)

Why do you give it this rating?

Due to the fact that it's a medium paced film that doesn't always keep you waiting and you don't know what's going to happen. It's one of them action films that actually fills the name, it's got lots of action and moments where you think about things that have happened as well. It also has Arnold Schwarzenegger & Sylvester Stallone in it which just makes it much better.

Do you recommend this film to other people?

Yes, I recommend this film if you're into prison break outs.

• MVP

What film did you watch? 12 years a slave

Which genre is the film? Historical Drama

12 years a slave follows Solomon Northup, a free african-american man living in Saratoga Springs, New York. However when Solomon is kidnapped and sold into slavery, he has to adopt to the situation and face the grim and ruthless enviroment, as well as handle grim and ruthless people that see him and others of his race as nothing more then possessions and cattle.

The movie aims to accuratly depict conditions of african-american slaves in the 1840s.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? ★★★★

12 years a slave is deep, emotional and outright ruthless. It can be a very disturbing film to watch, but the acting is out of this world, the story is excellent and the movie offers a good insight into why slavery is as loathed as it is. The only reason im not giving it 5 out of 5 is because 5 is perfection, and although I really liked this movie I tend to be extremly conservative with giving out perfect ratings.

Yes I would. This movie won oscars for a reason, and if you're into emotional movies this really is about as good as they come. Be warned though, this is not for the sensitive.

• Emerald

What film did you watch? Tower Heist

Which genre is the film? Crime Fiction & Comady

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? ★★★★★

Why do you give it this rating? Simply because It's funny and interesting

Do you recommend this film to other people? HELL YEAH absolutely

• MVP

What film did you watch? Thor: The Dark world

Which genre is the film? Superhero film

When an old ancient nemesis to the asgardians awaken and threaten to overwhelm the galaxy with a powerful force called "The Aether", Thor must rally with his old flame Jane Foster and her friends to fight the darkness before Earth and the asgardians are overwhelmed.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? ★★

I never liked the first Thor movie much, but I could understand and respect why others did. But this one takes a new low dip. It might be the worst marvel-movie I've seen in a long time, and I was tempted to give it a single star instead of two.

The plot is lousy, the acting is mediocre(the only one standing out is Tom Hiddleston as Loki, as usual) and the movie is basicly mostly about the special effect-scenes. The asgard battle scenes have some appeal to them, but there isnt much to really make the movie interesting, especielly since the overarching plot is -extremly- dull and overdone.

Not really. For those that liked the first Thor movie, maybe, but imo you'd have to value special effects over anything else to give this anything more then a 3 outa 5. Its a shame really, because the excellent Avenger's movie gave me hope that the quality of these superhero movies would be upped. Iron man 3 didnt dissapoint, at least. That one was certainly better then this 2-hour waste of time.

• Sapphire

What film did you watch? We're the Millers

Which genre is the film? Comedy

Small Description of the film: A drug dealer and his fake family try to smuggle drugs back into America from Mexico. Many problems ensue.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? ★★★★

Why do you give it this rating? It's hilarious, and Jennifer Aniston is sexy. :)

Do you recommend this film to other people? Definitely.

• Sapphire

What film did you watch? The Wolf of Wall Street.

Which genre is the film? Comedy/Drama

Small Description of the film: Jordan Belfort is a stock broker in New York who builds a company from the ground. Using filthy tactics to make his way to the top and become a corporate criminal. A story of drugs, money and prostitutes.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★) ★★★★

Why do you give it this rating? I gave it this rating because this is Leonardo DiCaprio at his finest. One of his best films, the acting in it overall is pretty amazing. The story is interesting, it loses the 5th star because it is slow in places. It's not meant to be an action pact film, it's story is solid. Hilarious in places when it needs to be!

Do you recommend this film to other people? Yes! It's amazing! Like I said loses the star because it has drab moments but what film doesn't! Hilarious, interesting and well acted out.

• Emerald

What film did you watch? Repo men

Which genre is the film? Honestly im not sure, horror, action maybe?

Small Description of the film: 2 men work for a large business harvesting artificial organs from customers who can't pay up.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★) ★★★★

Why do you give it this rating? It showed what businesses could possibly be like in the future, its quite freaky. I'd say you guys need to check it out!

Do you recommend this film to other people? Awh hell yeah

• MVP

Film: Repo Men

I've seen that film and I've got to say, it's a very good concept to be honest with you. Very different from others and like you've said, brings a thought of future businesses. What is we have to have organs implanted into us to survive and pay for them over a period of time, or we may just become robots! :D

• MVP

Film: The Wolf of Wall Street

You know the film itself, is it a fast paced or slow paced film. I'm thinking of watching it but just need to know if I need a lot of patience or not.

You say it's "slow in some places" but overall, what is it?

Guest Pandi

What film did you watch? Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

Which genre is the film?: Comedy

Small Description of the film: (Wikipedia Description) Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa is a 2013 American hidden camera comedy film directed by Jeff Tremaine and written by Tremaine, Spike Jonze and Johnny Knoxville. It is the fourth installment in the Jackass film series. The film stars Johnny Knoxville and Jackson Nicoll. It was produced by MTV Films and Dickhouse Productions and distributed by Paramount Pictures. The film was released on October 25, 2013. Bad Grandpa has a loose plot that connects the stunts and pranks together as opposed to the three original Jackass films which had no plot.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it?: ★★★★★

Why do you give it this rating?: This was probably the most funniest film I have seen, my throat and stomach were hurting after the film.

Do you recommend this film to other people?: 100% Yes.

Film: Repo Men

I've seen that film and I've got to say, it's a very good concept to be honest with you. Very different from others and like you've said, brings a thought of future businesses. What is we have to have organs implanted into us to survive and pay for them over a period of time, or we may just become robots! :D

We will never be robots.

Perhaps cyborgs.

• MVP

What TV series did you watch? Continuum

Which genre is the TV series? Sci-fi

Small Description of the series itself:

The series centers on the conflict between a group of rebels from the year 2077 who time-travel to Vancouver, BC, in 2012, and a police officer who accidentally accompanies them. In spite of being many years early, the rebel group decides to continue its violent campaign to stop corporations of the future from replacing governments, while the police officer endeavours to stop them without revealing to anyone that she and the rebels are from the future.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? ★★

Continuum was one of those TV-series that I descided to try watching because I was bored. God knows there's a real drought for other new sci-fi TV-series, and this one was pretty much the only real option that I saw on the table.

I've watched the first five episodes of season 1, so this is a bit of a "first glance"-perspective, not a judgement on the whole thing and later seasons, which may well be better.

Continuum isnt good. It has a fairly slow tempo and frankly the script requires some work to make things interesting. It seems to suffer from the "questionable budget"-syndrom where it affects its production value, and the acting? Well, I've seen better. A lot better.

It isnt terrible either. There's nothing overly terrible about it, so it balances on the border of "watchable" and "something to kill the time with because I have nothing better to do".

Do you recommend this TV series to other people?

If you really like sci-fi and you were as bored as I was when I started watching this, sure. It doesnt have a whole lot going for it, but maybe you'll find the setting more appealing then I did.

• MVP

What TV series did you watch? Bron | Broen

Which genre is the TV series? Crime/Thriller

Small Description of the series itself: When a body is found on the Øresund bridge between Denmark and Sweden, Danish inspector Martin Rohde and Swedish Saga Norén work together to find the killer.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★): ★★★★, but please realize this is absoluty meaningless, even for myself. I can't possibly rate anything with a couple of stars. I guess four stars means that it's good, but not in the top league. I don't know. Just read below.

Why do you give it this rating? The story itself is... mweh. The whole genre is a bit overdone in my opinion. Detectives solving crimes, it's been done to death. Granted, Bron|Broen is a continuous story which makes it better but even so.

In this case though its simplicity is also its charm. There's no special effects, no filters. Yet it looks beautiful (especially the bridge itself). The music is great, especially the theme song (

) and fits amazingly well with the opening sequence.

What makes this series so good is the acting, especially that of the two lead characters and Saga Norén (played by Sofia Helin who you probably don't know anyway :P) in particular. She's... different. She probably has Aspergers (a form of autism) but that is never confirmed. It creates not only funny but also charming scenarios. Don't get me wrong, the show isn't at all mocking people with autism. To the contrary. I've been told it's a very realistic portrayal and in her case, as a detective, it's her strength. It allows her to fully focus on a case.

With English subtitles it's easy to follow. The story isn't complicated in the slightest but is interesting enough and it's actually very thrilling at some points (though a bit predictable). All of that doesn't matter though. It's Saga Norén and her relationship with Martin Rohde that makes this such a good series.

One of the best foreign (as in "non-English") series I've seen.

Do you recommend this TV series to other people? Yes, as explained above.

I'll do a couple of things I've watched recently!

The Monuments Men:

What film did you watch? The Monuments Men

Which genre is the film? War Film

Small Description of the film: US enthusiasts of Art travel to Europe during D-Day to recover famous artworks that Hitler is trying to destroy.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★) ★★(and a half)

Why do you give it this rating? As a war film, there was very little in terms of action. The acting was good as well as the cast, sets and locations were brilliant and that's where the majority of this rating comes. The film felt like it dragged on and was relatively uninteresting. This won't effect anybodies experience watching, but you never actually see Hitler in the film and I can't help but think it would have been more exciting if he was portrayed properly in the film.

Do you recommend this film to other people? I wouldn't recommend this personally.

Elysium:

What film did you watch?Elysium

Which genre is the film?Sci-fi

Small Description of the film: The film is set at the end of the 21st Century where the Earth has became over-populated and turned into a giant shanty town. The wealthiest people on Earth develop a mechanical planet in the sky called 'Elysium'. The film is based around Matt Damon's character attempting to get to 'Elysium'.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★)★★★★(and a half)

Why do you give it this rating?The special effects were the great, the filmography was great, the costumes were great, the locations and backdrops were great and the character 'Kruger' was an absolute legend and I would almost suggest seeing this film for that character alone. I don't know what this film is missing for it to be a full five star, it just doesn't have that five star feel for me - I can't say a bad point about the film but it just doesn't quite reach five for me.

Do you recommend this film to other people?I would recommend this film.

Spartacus:

What TV series did you watch?Spartacus

Which genre is the TV series?Ancient Action

Small Description of the series itself: The story follows the famous tale of Spartacus, from his capture and forced to become a Gladiator to the slave revolution upon Rome.

What rating out of 5 stars do you give it? (use this symbol ★)★★★★★

Why do you give it this rating?I am a fan of this age in time in particular so it comes as no suprise that I enjoyed this. I have watched many TV series, including the notoroious 'Breaking Bad' and Spartacus is still leaps and bounds ahead in my opinion. The story is very compelling, detailed, there are good twists, the sets and costumes are fantastic. There are four seasons, I wish there were more but that is that. One character in particular, 'Crixus', is an absolute beast and he just adds more brownie points to this brilliant series. This series is essential the film 'Gladiator', just with better everything and over a much longer length of time (not a 2 hour film).

Do you recommend this TV series to other people?I would recommend this series to anybody, however if you are not a fan of blood/gore/sword fighting then it may not be your cup of tea.

Ok I hate this thread, I have too many films and TV series that I want to review. Sigh :(

Guest John Le Bear

What film did you watch? Into the Wild

Which genre is the film? Adventure | Biography

Small Description of the film: Christopher McCandless graduates from university as a top student. Instead of using his results to acquire a job je decides to abandon his possessions, including $24,000 in his savings account, which he gives to charity.

He lives his dream of going to Alaska and exploring America. To get to Alaska he hitch hikes across America, in doing so meeting lots of interesting people.

Upon reaching Alaska he lives in the wilderness and uses his survival skills.

Why do you give it this rating? It was an amazing, intelligent film that made me think about my current life. I could say more, but I will let the film speak for its self.

Do you recommend this film to other people? Yes!

• MVP

Film: Into the Wild

Seems like a very interesting film and I'm going to try and watch it. Bet it was a really good watch and you've put 5 stars so that intrigues me into the film even more.

Do you think it'd be a really fun adventure though, travelling across America and heading to basically your final destination but by hitching rides like you've said he did. I'm a people person and this makes me think, you never know who you can meet.

Guest John Le Bear

Seems like a very interesting film and I'm going to try and watch it. Bet it was a really good watch and you've put 5 stars so that intrigues me into the film even more.

Do you think it'd be a really fun adventure though, travelling across America and heading to basically your final destination but by hitching rides like you've said he did. I'm a people person and this makes me think, you never know who you can meet.

Its not meeting people that interests me if im honest, though it would be an amazing experience.

Its just the isolation that intrigues me.

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,

There is a rapture on the lonely shore,

There is society, where none intrudes,

By the deep sea, and music in its roar:

I love not man the less, but Nature more,

From the film.

Isolation is something I would love to experience for a good two years.

• MVP

Isolation is a thing I would love to experience for a good two years.

(edited so the thread isn't clogged)

Yeah, that would be fun to be honest with you. Just getting away from everything and exploring places where you've never been before.

I'd only do it if I knew I was going to be safe though.

Update

The only rule has been implemented into the thread

There is only one rule in this thread and that is if you're going to respond to someone's TV series or Film recommendation then please use this code to prevent clogging the thread up.

Click on "Reply" on the person who you're replying to, edit their post with the correct code below and go from there.

[color=#FFA500][b]Film: [Enter the name of the film that you're responding to here][/b][/color]

[color=#FFA500][b]Tv Series: [Enter the name of the Tv Series that you're responding to here][/b][/color]

• MVP

Not sure how I'm supposed to use that template, Joe. Is this alright too? Otherwise the person doesn't get an alert.

What film did you watch?:Children of men

I liked that movie but for me it was nothing more than decent for me. I thought it was a little too pleased with itself. Some films just try too hard and tend to feel really snobby. Hard to explain, but I felt the same way about The Road.

• MVP

Not sure how I'm supposed to use that template, Joe. Is this alright too? Otherwise the person doesn't get an alert.

Yeah, that's fine but I've added a guide now on how to reply correctly with the code and they will get an alert with it as well.

• MVP

What film did you watch? Gravity

Which genre is the film? "Sci-fi", thriller.

Dr. Ryan Stone and Matt Kowalski are astronauts whom with their team is out repairing the hubble space telescope when suddenly disaster strikes. Both astronauts are cut off from all rescue and communications with earth, and have to deal with and survive the hard and unforgiving conditions of space, while desperatly trying to find a way back down to the surface.

This is perhaps the only 2013 movie that im willing to give a full 5-star rating.

Gravity is brilliant. Alfonso Cuarón has made a pure masterpiece that combines interesting and intense storytelling that explores real depth of characters in an extremly tense situation, while also showcasing a remarkably realistic display of what it is like in space, especielly if disaster strikes.

The movie has realism, -amazing- effects, an excellent soundtrack, great acting and a story that keeps you enthralled. I can not find a significant negative thing about it. The label "sci-fi" may be misleading since while this is a movie in space, it follows current technology and does so very realisticly.

Hell yes. Seriously, watch this thing. It won 7 oscars, and it was well-deserved.