Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 08:31

Frisking questions

Guest Ketamine

Guest Ketamine

Okay, recently I have been encountering a lot of people frisk me for this and I just want to know if its allowed.

"*Frisks for GPS, Sharp objects and all toolbelt items*"

The reason I see this shouldn't be allowed is because surely the phase "Toolbelt items" Is an OOC phrase, and its beginning to anger me every time I see someone do this to me, so is this allowed, is there set rules for frisking? I would appropriate if I could get a answer please.

This happened after you had already been frisked for separate things I believe and being as you were concealing things somehow still, the guy just frisked for all of them.

Guest Astycc

Toolbelt is literally an item that straps around your waist, which would hold your things like your compass, GPS, hatchet, etc. So I wouldn't deem it as an OOC phrase.

Guest Ketamine

This happened after you had already been frisked for separate things I believe and being as you were concealing things somehow still, the guy just frisked for all of them.

Well that why I am asking because I did not think that was allowed, and about concealing things I did not you asked me to drop my tool belt items I did in fact the only thing I had left was beans, water and my binoculars.

• Emerald

I think people just use the term "Toolbelt Items" when frisking to avoid typing out everything on your tool belt e.g watch compass

Guest Ketamine

Toolbelt is literally an item that straps around your waist, which would hold your things like your compass, GPS, hatchet, etc. So I wouldn't deem it as an OOC phrase.

Well I don't know about you but I aint wearing no toolbelt.

I also don't know why people don't frisk for food, water or any other stuff for all you know I had a rock in my pocket that I was going to smash over your head with. It just feels like its wrong for me personally.

Guest Astycc

Well, then if you refuse to drop certain items which are deemed toolbelt items, then it is abusing game mechanics because the game limits you search wise, I don't think the admins will write a rule about one word.

• Sapphire

Yeah because if you had someone down on the ground with no weapons. You could easily find an Axe poking out of his trousers.

Guest Ketamine

Well, then if you refuse to drop certain items which are deemed toolbelt items, then it is abusing game mechanics because the game limits you search wise, I don't think the admins will write a rule about one word.

If you had read what I put I still handed over my toolbelt Items Its just like the whole point of this thread is i believe its wrong, but if a member of staff tells me it is okay then I will do it next time. But the thing is I have had staff say to me that's not right and that they cant do that so I am very confused.

If you're considering its wrong then why do it? Simply because its allowed. It might be within the rules, but if you don't agree with it, why use it yourself?

• MVP

It can mainly be seen as a way to avoid long, boring sentences that take too long to type out. We have roughly 12 tool-belt slots and most of the items that can go in there have fairly long names.

People can frisk you for RP items such as a rock that you can try to kill them with but we all know that robberies can be rushed if the bandit suspects there are people nearby who might interfere.

I've been robbed of all my tool-belt items before and the person used the phrase "everything on your tool-belt". Personally I don't see anything wrong with it as who knows what you could or couldn't have on you.

I can see why it would be irritating but I don't see any terrible rule breaks. Just a way to save time really.

• MVP

Overall Answer

Q: Is frisking aloud for my tool belt items?

A: Yes, it is aloud.

The reasoning behind 'frisking' people for their toolbelt items when robbing them is to prevent them from concealing hatchets or any other weapons that could cause harm to the person robbing you.

Say in real life, you have a hatchet. Well, it may be in your tool belt and would be easy to see which means that they would mostly take it off of you. But, within DayZ. You can't see the hatchet on their tool belt, this means that they have the right to frisk you for anything they might suspect you have on your tool belt for their own gain or own safety.

Example:

Player 1: Drop your weapons, backpacks, radios now! - You have 10 seconds or you will be shot.

Player 2: (drop weapons and all asked)

Player 1: *walks up to victim and says in-game* *frisks for radio, explosives, GPS and any sharp objects*

Player 2: (drops the things asked, but only if he has them on him)

So yeah, it is aloud as things that can't be checked would be able to be checked in real life.

To your quote about "Staff members have said it's not aloud" - Then I think they are referring to the victim not aloud to not drop the things that they have been frisked for as that's abusing game mechanics due to the robber not having any way to check if you're lieing or not.

Hope this answer helped, it's just a full answer and example to help answer what you have asked. If you have any other questions then be sure to PM me.

• Legend

Player 1: OOC: If you have any of these then drop them.

Well you basically gave a perfect answer. BUT! Please DO NOT write "ooc: blabla" cause that breaks the roleplay and no one wants that :)

• MVP

GingerHippo, Certamine doesn't seem to be questioning the legitimacy of frisking itself. All he is wondering if it's allowed (not aloud ;)) to use the phrase "toolbelt items" as a substitute for listing all the specific items within that toolbelt.

To me it's a convenience issue. I can see your point, Certamine, but I'd say we should ignore the slight OOC meaning behind it. "Toolbelt items" makes it clear what you expect. Besides, if you can argue you're not wearing a toolbelt, couldn't someone that uses a skin that shows a backpack but doesn't actually have one use the same argument?

We work around that because the game mechanics are limited. Expecting people to list every single item they want you to drop is like expecting them to specify exactly who they want to drop their weapons in a group. You just say "All of you drop your weapons or I'll shoot", not "The following people should drop their weapons: Frank, the guy next to Frank, Frank's dog, the owner of the drycleaner, that girl with the glasses... etc"

• Legend

I also don't know why people don't frisk for food, water or any other stuff for all you know I had a rock in my pocket that I was going to smash over your head with. It just feels like its wrong for me personally.

That is a good question. I never saw that before and it is kinda sad. It is an apocalypse, food and water SHOULD be rare. If it WOULD be rare, i think people would actually do that.

And for the Toolbelt. Like Gijs said, even if you don't wear one IG, they mean the items (Map, Compass, Toolbox) and yes, it would be seen as abusing the game Mechanics.

Guest Ketamine

GingerHippo, Certamine doesn't seem to be questioning the legitimacy of frisking itself. All he is wondering if it's allowed (not aloud ;)) to use the phrase "toolbelt items" as a substitute for listing all the specific items within that toolbelt.

To me it's a convenience issue. I can see your point, Certamine, but I'd say we should ignore the slight OOC meaning behind it. "Toolbelt items" makes it clear what you expect. Besides, if you can argue you're not wearing a toolbelt, couldn't someone that uses a skin that shows a backpack but doesn't actually have one use the same argument?

We work around that because the game mechanics are limited. Expecting people to list every single item they want you to drop is like expecting them to specify exactly who they want to drop their weapons in a group. You just say "All of you drop your weapons or I'll shoot", not "The following people should drop their weapons: Frank, the guy next to Frank, Frank's dog, the owner of the drycleaner, that girl with the glasses... etc"

Thats what I was asking, as Gijs said I understand frisking I was just unsure you could frisk for tool belt items at once but, I guess it makes everything easier, So if somebody can close this is would be great. Thanks for the responses guys :D

As long as you got items in the bottom bar, you're wearing a toolbelt. Realisticaly, people could see an axe in your back and a gps and a compass in your pocket. "Toolbelt items" is a really poor way to put it, but it does the job.

Not dropping or saying you don't have the stuff they frisked you for IS against the rules.

Although, you could reply to *frisks for gps* with a *pushes gps up his sleeve*. Frisking means than you must inform the "frisker" if you got the items he frisks you for. You can always try to RP that you try to hide them instead of just drop them, or try to negotiate with the robber to let you keep em.

• MVP

Would you class Bino's and rangefinders as "Toolbelt items"

Technically they aren't, but meh... that's just nitpicking about the semantics. That's the same as acting dumb when a group is being initiated on because you didn't think the initiation would also apply to you.

I doubt you'd be able to argue your way out of it should it come up in a report. Not that it should become a problem anyway. I imagine a potential conversation going like this:

A: *frisks B for toolbelt items*

B drops all his toolbelt items but not his rangefinders and NVGs

A doesn't say anything about it

^ in this case I'd say it's A's fault for not double-checking you didn't also drop your rangefinders and NVGs. He should've just followed up like this:

A: *also checks for rangefinders and NVGs*

Problem solved. If you then don't drop your rangefinders and NVGs even though you do have them, that counts as abusing game mechanics.