Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 08:00

Clans and your responsibilities

I'd like to start by saying, this is not directly aimed at one clan in particular but I feel it's something I've wanted to say for a little while now about clans in general.

We have always had a nice diverse range of clans on this server and it has been great to experience so many of them in my time here. It can be a pretty stressful task setting up and running a clan, not to mention the time to write a backstory and present a wonderful clan thread on the forums and that is highly commended. However I feel that some clans have and always will be set up for the wrong reasons.

When setting up our clan WildernessTV a while ago myself, Krimbo, Reptile449 and Graffels wanted to bring a more light hearted roleplay at a time when the server was filled with a lot of military groups and the mood at camps felt rather oppressive. Our motivation was simple, entertain the members of this community. I don't feel that many clans currently have this mindset and I feel that we're worse off for it.

I think the problem stems from a lack of humility. To me this server/community is essentially a never-ending play and Chernarus is our stage, we're all playing our parts to entertain each other. People and clans are so worried about losing their gear etc that they don't allow themselves to be exposed to other clans' role-play. They're too consumed with the want to be top dog, to be 'powerful' in the server that they're depriving themselves of some excellent role-play from those who they'd usually rob and pillage for gear.

As a clan you have a responsibility, to entertain others in this community by providing great role-play and to step out of the mindset of wanting to be all powerful and all about the gear. I am incredibly surprised at how various clans are still accepted who have contrived reasons in their backstory to demand ransoms from complete strangers so that they can be manipulative and pass it off as a role-play reason. It shouldn't be allowed yet many still slip through the net.

However, those clans who continue to be manipulative, irresponsible and selfish, have and always will be shown the door eventually. I just feel that in this community as a whole if clans and individuals alike began to treat each other with more respect, take responsibility and show a modicum of humility then we'd be much better off for it. Think before you act, how would you feel to be put in the situation you're about to put someone in right now, whether that be to rob, interrogate or merely speak with them.

As soon as you start thinking of others and the want to entertain them, that's when I feel we see the best role-play in this community from individuals and clans alike. Don't set up or join a clan just to feel powerful, do it because you have a chance to have a positive influence in-game on a much larger scale than before.

People should be more crteative while making groups. we already have too mutch military/bandit/russian groups and they still keeps coming. well what i have seen banditry is decreased alot while past few months which is good.

• MVP

*big post followed by excellent points*

As soon as you start thinking of others and the want to entertain them, that's when I feel we see the best role-play in this community from individuals and clans alike. Don't set up or join a clan just to feel powerful, do it because you have a chance to have a positive influence in-game on a much larger scale than before.

[/Quote]

A big applause to a post full of excellent and spot-on points. They're amazingly accurate, and people should really read this thread and learn something.

Unfortunetly I think its very difficult to change this attitude among the people where it needs changed, but perhaps this will have some effect at least. Doesnt hurt to try.

• Sapphire

This thread explained a lot, as I don't even play the mod much anymore, is this what dayzrp has come to?

• MVP

This thread explained a lot, as I don't even play the mod much anymore, is this what dayzrp has come to?

"has come to"? HeftyScantLeggings raises some very valid points but it has always been like that. The problem is more apparent in clans and the bigger the clan the more influence it has, which can either be positive or negative.

The same goes for individual roleplayers. You just don't notice it because they don't have the same influence.

The clan requirements certainly help and in my opinion it has only gotten better, but I agree with CapaciousDiminutiveKnickers in that there's room for improvement. There are still clans that in my eyes are way too focused on themselves rather than the community.

However, aisde from the clan requirements people are actually beginning to question the goals and motives of certain clans. Not only admins do so on a regular basis, but also normal community members. With peer pressure much of the problem should solve itself.