Server time: 2017-10-23, 09:51
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
crank

McGraw, who here has met him?

crank    0

So some of you know, some of ya don't, McGraw has a mental problem from being butted in the head with a ak. I work very hard to keep up his childish demeanor. Now I know he isn't perfect, but those of you that have played with him, what do you think, and what ways can I improve on him?

Again, character in question is Joseph McGraw with the BoS.

Side note, anybody have any vid of him?

SweetJoe    397

Is this because of what I said to you?

Honestly I though you were...I felt like you had a mental issue...and the the flamboyance was over the top to where I thought it was a joke.

Then trouble began and you went into soldier mode. You were on point.

after I found out your story it all made perfect sense and the character is cool. It seems way over the top when you beleive your talking to a sane and normal human. Seems childish and slow and he talks alot...about akward things. However this is what you were going for and the character is interesting.

Just make sure you refer to the proper female characters next time. Dont worry though, same woman different character...I cant blame you for that little name slip...>=-D

crank    0

lol yah he does have revers chemical flash backs, lol. Seeming mental clarity brought on by stress.

no joe, it wasn't about what you said, but I did appreciate the feedback to getting this character more "stable" .

A couple of me and the guys AJ mainly have been thinking and talking about taking ole McGraw to the FM and getting his brain sorted. As for the constant talking, since I cant force him to make facial expressions it's suppose to demonstrate a man dealing with what he sees, as well as having his brain properly scrambled. In another though McGraw is all over the place, because in all actuality, his mental state, and trying to comprehend what he sees while in this state is just to much for him to comprehend. Thus leaving him scatter brained and broken.

Sin    127

I'd mostly be worried about upstaging other characters. Constant chatter can be annoying, especially if you're butting in on other characters while they're working out their reactions to other things. McGraw has a pretty loud voice and can easily overpower other players. This character has amaaaazing potential for comic relief, and even for cutting down to the uncomfortable truth of a matter (Shakespearean fool style) by saying utterly inappropriate things at the right time.

I found McGraw charming at first, but the shine wore off quick. That's partly just me though. I'm allergic to extroverts, especially if they lack the sensitivity and self-awareness to realize how annoying I find them. To be perfectly clear, I understand that's absolutely nothing on you, it's the nature of the character. I see what you're going for and IC kind of like it and want to help McGraw if I can, but OOC, I can only tolerate it in small doses, so I've got to find an excuse to leave. Understand that I'm waaaaay out there on the introvert end of the spectrum. Some of my best friends are extroverts, but I can still only tolerate them in small doses.

SweetJoe    397

I'd mostly be worried about upstaging other characters. Constant chatter can be annoying, especially if you're butting in on other characters while they're working out their reactions to other things. McGraw has a pretty loud voice and can easily overpower other players. This character has amaaaazing potential for comic relief, and even for cutting down to the uncomfortable truth of a matter (Shakespearean fool style) by saying utterly inappropriate things at the right time.

I found McGraw charming at first, but the shine wore off quick. That's partly just me though. I'm allergic to extroverts, especially if they lack the sensitivity and self-awareness to realize how annoying I find them. To be perfectly clear, I understand that's absolutely nothing on you, it's the nature of the character. I see what you're going for and IC kind of like it and want to help McGraw if I can, but OOC, I can only tolerate it in small doses, so I've got to find an excuse to leave. Understand that I'm waaaaay out there on the introvert end of the spectrum. Some of my best friends are extroverts, but I can still only tolerate them in small doses.

You put that so eloquently. I feel the same way. Small dosea for me. Allergic to extroverts... funny you say that, the best interactions ive had have come from forceing the quiet guys to roleplay by...of all things...talking to them.

Aj1080pGamer    0

MCGRAW........

What did I tell you about talking to Stranger's, You need to be carefull or you might get hurt out there......

// Love Mcgraw character and can't wait for the render to finish on tuesday nights stuff.

Vaine    23

mcgraw... there are so many words to choose from...

Il settle with , He is a law unto himself :D

crank    0

Lol I love the feed back, I didn't know he came through so loud, I'll have to figure out how to turn my mic down.

Voodoo    491

The more I read the more I wanna meet McGraw in game :P

Hope to meet soon

crank    0

Well, voodoo I'll talk to him and see Lol.

I'm usually puttsing around at prud and NW airfield .

As far as what you said SIN, yah the comic relief is really what he is the best at. Some have said its bad rp when he cuts in on things with his bubble blowing antics, but I kind of hold to the fact that no matter what horrible thing is happening, he at least ensures everyone has a smile on. Heck even when Victor Cruz held him up, then saw him a day later the RP was spot on, even when McGraw was trying to ASK for Striker to give him the go ahead with an initiation. And it was done In game directly in front of Victor. Lol

Nihoolious    1250

Raw McGraw.

Uncensored and very inappropriate. Coming soon to a Prud near you.

kladetto    0

I'm going to touch you in your no no square McGraw.

I still think the best was you yelling "STRIKERRRRRRR!!!! TUCK ME IN!!!!!!" At log on.

LumberJack    18

I find it very interesting how people with "mental issues" (Juggs, Animal, Buckley, and now McGraw) seem to garner much attention and affection for their characters, though i see it as an excuse for borderline trolling. Truthfully I find characters with mental issues need to be on spot between professionalism and, as sin calls it, comic relief. Juggs and Animal have perfect characters for this type of role play, while Buckley, in my opinion, was too over the top and very, very annoying to me, to the point where if he arrived I would just leave prud. I have not met McGraw yet, though I hope you play him well, as people are saying good things of you.

While on this topic, I would really like to see people explore better avenues with their characters. I want to see more sinister characters such as cannibals, religious heretics, and so on instead of the regular mentally handicapped and soldiers. But hey, that's just me

crank    0

I find it very interesting how people with "mental issues" (Juggs, Animal, Buckley, and now McGraw) seem to garner much attention and affection for their characters, though i see it as an excuse for borderline trolling. Truthfully I find characters with mental issues need to be on spot between professionalism and, as sin calls it, comic relief. Juggs and Animal have perfect characters for this type of role play, while Buckley, in my opinion, was too over the top and very, very annoying to me, to the point where if he arrived I would just leave prud. I have not met McGraw yet, though I hope you play him well, as people are saying good things of you.

While on this topic, I would really like to see people explore better avenues with their characters. I want to see more sinister characters such as cannibals, religious heretics, and so on instead of the regular mentally handicapped and soldiers. But hey, that's just me

I have seen first hand what you are referring to. It always makes me wonder how those characters actually survive out by them selves, and it kind of breaks up the scenario to be actually plausible. I have thought alot on this theory and here is what I have come up with. They couldn't possibly survive, making it unrealistic. Here is how I solved this problem.

McGraw isn't so much mentally handicapped, he is more like a drunken friend, or small child. What do small children or drunken college mates have?? FRIENDS or some kind of responsible party that looks out for them. As you saw earlier in this thread where AJ commented saying "what did I tell you about talking to strangers, and going out on your own" (SIC). AJ and I have been IRL friends for a long time now, I think 3 years or so, and I believe this shows in our RP. You see McGraw never operates solo, McGraw basically has a "parent figure" or support system. There is always a "keeper" or "handler" for him. This put a realistic spin on how McGraw actually survives out in the wilderness.

I personally am a normal guy, so I can collect food, ammo, water, meds, and such when I play by myself. HOWEVER during RP you will always see another player with me that kind of watches out for McGraw. Usually Danny, or AJ, or another higher up in our clan. Also, McGraw is never left by himself during RP Situations, or even during normal gameplay. This I feel brings more realism to the character.

I have gotten the trolling thing before, and to an extent if done wrong I can TOTALLY agree with you on that point, I don't feel like that is an issue with this character since in the beginning when McGraw started he was not the way he is now.

Sometimes however I feel playing this character does make the game more difficult in some ways, personally I am a leader, and a very tactical, getting my point across to a person that is not with me in TS is EXTREMELY difficult, and at times not possible. This means that at times I follow plans that are flawed or not thought out well. IRL this is sooooooooooo frustrating to me, but I can count on 1 hand when I truly had to have a "McGraw clarity moment" and actually speak my mind. Which is why Jimmy said he was on point. I mean heck I run the training for our clan using my background and actual conflict experience. lol I guess with that background I also gained the ability to follow orders I don't agree with or understand.

Side note, I based alot of how McGraw RP's in certain situations off of how Juggs played since he, AJ, and myself use to play together alot in the beginning of our time on DayZrp, so when he left I guess I kind of took partly his spot, with my own personal spin off. So tip of the hat to Juggs :)

Aj1080pGamer    0

MCGRAW....

Your Not Suppose to Tell Everyone your Secrets...

DANNY You better be taking care of him Will I'm gone!

YOU HEAR ME!

But in serious I love Mcgraw his Character is so unique and different from all the other Handicaps, and yes as he may be trolly at times here and there his parent figure or Danny and I will explain right after when he says stuff like this and thats what makes a good RP situation I believe. I just think with the Mental handicaps it brings a little fun to the rp when you run into one, and like survivor x3 said I think some of us should start playing as Religious folks and stuff, Farms from the days before, ect.... Just to turn the RP around a bit because So far it's Military groups, from what I have encountered the last few weeks. My opinion though.

McGraw it's time for your Nap you have had enough fun playing with your new friends now let's go to bed.......

Mikachu    26

I met you for the first time today and it was a mixed bag.

When we met at the car you RPed ok and I didn't mind much, when we were at Prud and clearly trying to RP seriously, your constant butting in and such was annoying as hell. I would have shot you where you stood if it weren't for all the people around.

I think you can be an interesting character but need to respect people's personal space and RP

Andrew    0

was great rping with mcgraw at prud yesterday, really funny rp to break the often tense mood when many people are around

crank    0

When we met at the car you RPed ok and I didn't mind much, when we were at Prud and clearly trying to RP seriously, your constant butting in and such was annoying as hell. I would have shot you where you stood if it weren't for all the people around.

I think you can be an interesting character but need to respect people's personal space and RP

I was looking for you in TS...

Ya, you were kind of rude to me, I was trying to help you track down your plane since I had just seen it and it kinda miffed me that you reacted so rudely. Don't know if that's just your character or if you were having a ruff day. Several other people also commented on it and I believe 2 even told ya. Then I tried to lighten the mood but you got more hostile, as soon as we confirmed you were BHM I had some guys watching ya in case ya pushed to hard Lol. Its cool though no hard feelings I hope, I'd love to rp with you again some time, I rarely have a chance to rp against an enemy, or hostile character.

Side note,

Got to do my my second ever iniation with the character , against the outlaws. If they read this I feel bad for having to leave so soon, and I look forward to the next meeting. Maybe next time we can clear up our misunderstanding, since we have a common enemy.

And zafire, (sp) sorry on my phone, koul is cool with me lmao.

Mikachu    26

I was looking for you in TS...

Ya, you were kind of rude to me, I was trying to help you track down your plane since I had just seen it and it kinda miffed me that you reacted so rudely. Don't know if that's just your character or if you were having a ruff day. Several other people also commented on it and I believe 2 even told ya. Then I tried to lighten the mood but you got more hostile, as soon as we confirmed you were BHM I had some guys watching ya in case ya pushed to hard Lol. Its cool though no hard feelings I hope, I'd love to rp with you again some time, I rarely have a chance to rp against an enemy, or hostile character.

Side note,

Got to do my my second ever iniation with the character , against the outlaws. If they read this I feel bad for having to leave so soon, and I look forward to the next meeting. Maybe next time we can clear up our misunderstanding, since we have a common enemy.

And zafire, (sp) sorry on my phone, koul is cool with me lmao.

That is interesting considering none of the the characters we were playing are part of BHM, so how did you possibly 'confirm' anything?

Also we were rude because we asked you nicely to leave us alone at least twice before that. It's exactly what I mean by respect other peoples RP

EDIT: what I mean by that is that there is a time and place for humour and lightening the mood and it is not constantly. You cannot force someone to be happy from your antics and if people are obviously not enjoying them then move on - otherwise it is bad for both them and you.

crank    0

I was told by another

Just knew what I was informed on and planned accordingly.

Mikachu    26

I was told by another

Told by another? What do you mean?

EDIT : ah ok, perhaps word things carefully next time, almost thought you metagamed or something lol