Server time (UTC): 2021-10-23 13:44

Possible custom skin system implementation

Goz

• MVP

Okey, I compiled the posts from RMod thread into a suggestion post. Here we go :

Background:

According to recent posts from Rolle (for details look in RmoD thread pages 8-11) he is checking out the possibility of adding custom skins(FYI not Rmod) into the server.

(Preview of possible skins to appear)

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_OA:_Infantry

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Infantry

There are some issues with some of them, as lacking some animations and most of them (mainly orignal ARMA 2 skins) will not display backpacks. But thats the price of great improvement in players customization/differentiation.

Ive come up with a idea how to implement those skins, at least from the side how players could acquire them. Due to the fact that skins cant be added as ingame items(that would require custom client files and that won't happen) there is a possibility to make them either permanent/or activated just like current ghillies/camos/rocketskins etc in donation shop.

Due to the fact that propably everyone would like to see and get a custom skin I thought it would be convenient to add a new TAB in the donation shop.

Imagine it as 3 option displayed in the same line as "View Inventory | View Shop", it could be named "View Skins" or something like that. To gain access to view skins(and therefore apply/select a custom skin) you would need to have those symbolic 5$ donated to server, or it could be just free - whatever Rolle decides, not my businness.

In the tab you would have a list of skins ( with small overview pictures and their names) that are available to choose/apply for.

Now here are two scenarios:

1) Propably easier to implement and maintain choosing option

- you would just click on the skin and receive it just like ghillies now etc. In return it would not be that good choice for RP/uniqueness of players as there is no control over who is wearing which skin and could in the end lead back to the root of the problem ( misidentifications and confusion because of skins).Not to mention possible combat logging to change skin/troll people.

2) Propably harder to implement and definetly more time consuming permanent choosing option with application for selected skin

- you would be able to 'apply' for that specific skin or set of skins ( no more than 2/3) by clicking appropriate button under selected skin/skins. Think of it as a replacement for standard survivor skin. Although it is propably harder to do, in return would create unique experience with easily identifiable persons, would improve firefights, would result in less KoSes, would result in generally happier populous of dayzrp :D

In this scenario a appropriate thread would need to be created where players and one representative from each interested clan would make a single post with their application regarding selected skin/skins for him/his members.

Posts would require:

Forum names/Players IDs ( whatever ID that would make job easier for admins to change the skin)

Selected skin/skins

Not mandatory extra( but really encouraged) Reason why you should be given that skin.

Example might look something like this :

Single player :

Player : Goztec

Skin : GUE_Soldier_2

Reason : I've RPed as a guerilla fighter within CLF based on NAPA background. Wearing such a skin would fulfill my role and make me a very happy person :D

Clans :

Players : Goztec , XXXX, YYYY

Clan Skin : GUE_Soldier_2

Reason : We've RPed as a guerilla fighters within CLF based on NAPA background. Wearing such skins would fulfill our roles and make us very happy people :D

Accepting an apllication could be done any way Staff would like. By CHs council/Moderators/GMs/Admins whatever - thats not my business.

I would only advise against giving the power of vote to people/community - aka although the applications are public they should not be discussed within ordinary forum members in the thread.

That means if somebody (lone wolf) would file an application for a skin that lets say already is worn by clan members - thats fine. People shouldnt be discouraged while picking skins , they would just to be prepared for possible consequences of that possible positive application verification in game :)

Limits in skins requests :

- It cant be a full ghillie ( or half ghillie)

- If you apply for a clan skins they cant belong to other clan already.

- If you applied for clan skins they also need to be recognizable as a whole ( basically they need to be similar ) (disregard this limit if clan would be able to apply for one skin only)

If skins selection would be implemented in system in scenario 2 it would be plain awesome. Although the application system would be time consuming in the beginning it would benefit in server quality in many aspects.

Dream section :

Now, I ve written above about possible set of skins available. Why ? Well, in big clans (8+ members) wearing same skin would be a bit dull. It would be awesome to have few special skins available to significant people in squads, or to pinpoint the leaders.

It could be done in either way :

1) Giving clans option to apply for 2,3 skins and giving the ability to everyone of them to switch between them ( just like current ghillie/camo thing).

This would be easier to implement propably.

2) Giving clans option to apply for 2,3 skins but with specific names of players to be rewarded with those additional one/two skins.

This is propably very hard/time consuming thing and not worth pursuing in the end.

Ive come up with calculations and stuff but lets leave it in dream section in my mind and lets wait if skins can be implemented in any/or similar scenarios I written above.

Anyways, come on and dream with me or just post your opinions/suggestions to this big post of mine :P

• MVP

bump!

• Server Manager

I think the "standard" civilian skins will be available for free to anyone to grab in the donation shop. You will be able to choose max 2-3 free skins.

As for the military and the "better" skins, they will be available like the present skins in the donation shop. There may be some kind of reservation system for clans where an established clan like EMS can pick a skin which will be exclusive to members of that clan. That needs to be implemented into the donation shop though, which may take some time.

• MVP

Mhm, cool to see custom skins will be implemented :D

I understand why you plan to give 2/3 skins to a single lone player but please reconsider the fact that it may also lead to possible abuse (switching skins when chased, in firefight). When custom skins would be implemented people would be more reckless (thats the point of skins :P ) on identifying targets and would rely 100% on skin type. If somebody would change a skin during hostile events it might turn against the legit playing party.

What do you think about implementing some kind of cool-down when switching skins ?

For example : After you activate a skin #1, you would need to wait some time : 1 or 24 hours till you will be able to change skin to another one.

Or even better solution - clicking the activate button would start a 1h timer after which you will be able to change skin.

And about military/better skins, they will be available to the person who reserved them and bought them specifically (just like current ghillies etc) ? Or you will gain access to them after any donation ( some kind of border line ) and applying for reserving that skin? I didn't get well that part of your explanation.

I think the "standard" civilian skins will be available for free to anyone to grab in the donation shop for free. You will be able to choose max 2-3 free skins.

As for the military and the "better" skins, they will be available like the present skins in the donation shop. There may be some kind of reservation system for clans where an established clan like EMS can pick a skin which will be exclusive to members of that clan. That needs to be implemented into the donation shop though, which may take some time.

Any progerss on this. I Like the idea of some free skins to everyone and I really like the idea of clan only skins. I only have one question about the skin reservation. Would it be 1. individual skins ie US_Delta_Force_EP1 for a clan or would it be 2. all BAF woodland goes to a clan.

I for one support option 2 because then there could be zero confusion about who belongs to who. Now before people jump my ship and say there is not enough skins look at this. (Yes some look close at distance but they are different enough to tell apart)

1.BAF MPT

2.BAF Desert

3.BAF Woodland

4.USMC Infantry

5.USMC Force Recon

6.US Standard

7.US SF

8.ACR

9.CDF

10.Germany

11.Gorilla

12.Locals

13.PMC

14.UNO

15.Takastini militia

16.Russian Infantry

17.Russian Spetsnaz

18.Russian MVD

19.Insurgents

20.Takastini Army

21.Takastni SF

That is 20 clans (assuming PMC is free to everyone) who could use there own skins.

Edit: I forgot to mention the CHDKZ and NAPA and civilians

I think the "standard" civilian skins will be available for free to anyone to grab in the donation shop for free. You will be able to choose max 2-3 free skins.

Any progerss on this. I Like the idea of some free skins to everyone and I really like the idea of clan only skins. I only have one question about the skin reservation. Would it be 1. individual skins ie US_Delta_Force_EP1 for a clan or would it be 2. all BAF woodland goes to a clan.

I for one support option 2 because then there could be zero confusion about who belongs to who. Now before people jump my ship and say there is not enough skins look at this. (Yes some look close at distance but they are different enough to tell apart)

1.BAF MPT

2.BAF Desert

3.BAF Woodland

4.USMC Infantry

5.USMC Force Recon

6.US Standard

7.US SF

8.ACR

9.CDF

10.Germany

11.Gorilla

12.Locals

13.PMC

14.UNO

15.Takastini militia

16.Russian Infantry

17.Russian Spetsnaz

18.Russian MVD

19.Insurgents

20.Takastini Army

21.Takastni SF

That is 20 clans (assuming PMC is free to everyone) who could use there own skins.

Edit: I forgot to mention the CHDKZ and NAPA and civilians

That's completely possible to be done. I love the idea of custom skins and it really improves the role playing around the server.

+100 to that.

• Emerald

I could do with a skin that gives me a nice blue tie and fluorescent jacket. Oh and a peaked cap.

EDIT; Aww god, I just realised how epic this could be... old women and priests walking about with M249s.

I don't think applications for skins would be a good idea. What clan wants to have a skin that makes them stand out against their surroundings? e.g. the desert skins.

EMS or T.O.R might. We stand out as helpers. We don't try to hide like a lot of the bandit clans do. Also that's only a small percentage of the skins. Aswell clans could choose not to adopt a private skin.

• MVP

Lets say Meekia would join S.D.S...

Then she would look like this:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:Arma2_TK_CIV_woman_city.jpg

:D

• MVP

Lets say Meekia would join S.D.S...

Then she would look like this:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/File:Arma2_TK_CIV_woman_city.jpg

:D

I take it you don't know much about Somalian culture what so ever.

Tighten that scarf of yours.

If was trying to be funny.

There was no Somalian skin.

Have you ever tried to laugh?

Its not that hard.