Server time: 2017-10-17, 23:58
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
MartinJ

Section/reward for "Newcomer's First Impressions"

Encourage newcomers to post their first impressions of the roleplay here?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Encourage newcomers to post their first impressions of the roleplay here?

MartinJ    1

This is an idea from a different roleplaying community (for a different game) that I frequent. Recently, two newcomers there have created their own topics elaborating in a very concise and interesting way on what were their opinions of their first day(s) on the server were.

It was very eye opening and useful for the staff and community as a whole to reflect on some issues that other people might not realize but a fresh pair of eyes saw immediately.

I believe this is something that should be actively encouraged with some sort of a reward. Perhaps a separate section for those, and if the newcomer's observations are actually relevant and presented in an elaborate way, could also be rewarded - perhaps something like a €5 skin of their choosing or something along those lines.

I'm sure there are a lot of smart people coming in who might want to share their first impressions but need to be encouraged (not everyone is proactive enough and they might even feel like they would be ignored anyway).

What do you guys think?

Slute    1

I like the idea, and would love to see it, but with rewards always comes with people who abuse them.

Not really needed in my opinion, it is their choice to do so.

Mush    2

I like the idea, and would love to see it, but with rewards always comes with people who abuse them.

This.

Sure, it'd be nice for them to share the experiences. But it shouldn't be mandatory.

MartinJ    1

It wouldn't be mandatory.

My idea is that if the opinion is shared in an honest and helpful way (judged by an administrator and higher ranks of staff), they get that option. Or some other form of reward, really, perhaps something without a monetary value (ability to change signatures without needing 50 posts, a slightly bigger avatar, whatever).

The thing is that a lot of smart people need encouragement to do things that are potentially helpful and we should provide that, in my opinion.

What makes a newer person's opinion more worthy of a reward than a person that frequents here? Just saying that it isn't entirely a bad idea but maybe focused on one side too much perhaps?

A fair few people are doing it quite regularly without receiving any monetary reward. I think that is more of something we should promote. Or reward those that actively take part in the discussions to promote RP, maybe that can just be put toward the Awards programme.

It's not a bad idea in theory. I agree with you about the fresh pair of eyes thing. And I agree that newcomers should definitely be encouraged to write down their first impressions.

However, I do not believe in forcing that by giving money. You might see it as a reward but if newcomers are rewarded for their opinion, why not people like you and me whose insight might be as valuable (in a different way)?

The only thing that will happen is that people will write stuff down for the sake of getting that reward. If you force people to give an evaluation on something by rewarding them, then that evaluation won't be meaningful at all. People will just write shit down for the sake of writing shit down. I could come up with 10 different bullshit stories about my first experiences. All of those stories might be helpful if they were actually true, but they wouldn't be. And you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Bottom line is, you cannot "force" it with rewards. People either want to give their two cents, or they don't. Encouraging is fine, but no rewards.

MartinJ    1

Fair points about the rewards raised by everyone.

Let's talk about encouragement, then. Separate section (so that the fact that we listen to these things is obvious to any newcomer)? A "welcome to the community" PM automatically sent to people explaining we encourage them starting a topic for that? Or a separate topic just for this (with no discussion so that it doesn't become cluttered, but then it might look like we ignore that feedback)?

Let's brainstorm!

Fair points about the rewards raised by everyone.

Let's talk about encouragement, then. Separate section (so that the fact that we listen to these things is obvious to any newcomer)? A "welcome to the community" PM automatically sent to people explaining we encourage them starting a topic for that? Or a separate topic just for this (with no discussion so that it doesn't become cluttered, but then it might look like we ignore that feedback)?

Let's brainstorm!

Well, first of all I like to mention that I think this forum is already very, and I mean VERY encouraging when it comes to stating your opinion. Honestly, I don't think newcomers need that much more encouragement. The DayZRP members that have something to say usually say it. Those that have no interest in participating in discussions and giving their two cents won't do it even with all the encouragement in the world. Well, offer them a million dollars and they might but then we are back at the reward argument.

Assuming though that more encouragement will lead to something - I do not think a separate thread is necessary. As far as I'm aware newcomers get a welcome email and/or PM so encouragement could be included in there. Doesn't hurt at least.

There are dozens of DayZRP members that respond to joining threads daily. A lot of those show interest in the newcomers by asking them questions. That is encouragement. Perhaps the staff and community should do that more often.

There are multiple threads for sharing your roleplay stories too.

I dunno, the more I think about it, the more I agree with myself on what I said earlier in this post. DayZRP is already very encouraging when it comes to all this.