Server time: 2017-08-24, 05:12

Sign in to follow this  
Houlton

Alternate character ghosting rule

Houlton    3

This is a simple rule that gives people an unfair advantage (we had problems with a certain group who shall remain nameless)

Anyway this rule would stop people from going into an area on their alternate characters with the specific intention of scouting the area, then switching to their main characters just so they can attack, if they wish to gain information about an area they should go there on the characters who they plan to attack with.

If they don't want people to find out what group they are in they can simply tell them that they are not in a group.

This caused a major problem for us as we were forced to watch them get into the perfect attacking positions (we had no reason to stop them as we didn't know the alts and we obviously didn't want to be accused of meta gaming) and then suddenly as if like magic our enemies materialised out of thin air and initiate with in twenty seconds of logging in.

That is my suggestion.

TL;DR

Using alts to recon, relog and attack an area should be considered ghosting

TL;DR

You can be damn sure you'll be punished for that. If not ghosting then it will be classed under abusing game mechanics. Exploiting. Not fairplay. Whatever you want to call it.

Common sense? :P

Mush    2

I agree, it shouldn't be allowed and it's a dick move...

However, it'll be hard to moderate, what if you go in on an alt, then your group decide to tell you, we'll attack soon! So you run away, then come back ready on your group character to attack. It could look bad in the logs, BUT if the person meant it in only good intentions, they may be falsely accused, and it'd get ugly.

I am on alternative characters a lot, I am also on TS at the time with BHM, and if anything is happening when they come on, I will switch over to my BHM character, it'd look bad but really I do not feed any information to them or anything.

Good idea though and it should be added, I think! :)

TL;DR

This is one thing I do not do, it's a dick move and not needed.

MartinJ    1

I am pretty sure this is already against the ghosting rules, if not, then it's a combination of the fairness AND ghosting rules. Either way it's definitely abusing and should be reported.

I am on alternative characters a lot, I am also on TS at the time with BHM, and if anything is happening when they come on, I will switch over to my BHM character, it'd look bad but really I do not feed any information to them or anything.

In my opinion this is abusing in itself. It's one thing to organize getting as many members as possible IG via teamspeak or other OOC means, but to state that you're going to attack / are under attack and need reinforcements is more of an IC matter and teamspeak should only be used to communicate that if you're on the character who is tuned in to the group's radio.

Mush    2

I am pretty sure this is already against the ghosting rules, if not, then it's a combination of the fairness AND ghosting rules. Either way it's definitely abusing and should be reported.

In my opinion this is abusing in itself. It's one thing to organize getting as many members as possible IG via teamspeak or other OOC means, but to state that you're going to attack / are under attack and need reinforcements is more of an IC matter and teamspeak should only be used to communicate that if you're on the character who is tuned in to the group's radio.

I don't feed any information IC about anything... I said nothing about attacking? If BHM attack Prud whilst I am there on an alt, I'd comply, I do not know them. Think of it as this, I am only speaking OOC to the BHM, when I meet people I'll mute.

MartinJ    1
I don't feed any information IC about anything... I said nothing about attacking? If BHM attack Prud whilst I am there on an alt, I'd comply, I do not know them. Think of it as this, I am only speaking OOC to the BHM, when I meet people I'll mute.

Switching over to your BHM character because you OOCly heard on the radio they are going to attack is straightforward metagaming. You're protecting your other character from harm and at the same time reinforcing BHM using OOCly gained knowledge.

Mush    2

Switching over to your BHM character because you OOCly heard on the radio they are going to attack is straightforward metagaming. You're protecting your other character from harm and at the same time reinforcing BHM using OOCly gained knowledge.

I did not mention once attacking.

I said if anything is happening when they come on, i.e: they are going somewhere or are actually logging on, I'll go onto the BHM character. Because I'd rather play with them. Nothing about attacking. Nothing.

You've misunderstood my original post, it was badly worded I'm sorry, but yeah.

It's against alot of rules...so report it.

MartinJ    1

I said if anything is happening when they come on, i.e: they are going somewhere or are actually logging on, I'll go onto the BHM character. Because I'd rather play with them. Nothing about attacking. Nothing.

Fair enough, I misread your original post, sorry. :)

Mush    2

It's okay! I was never too good at wording things! :)

Go..stand in that corner and think about your actions. Misunderstanding text...what a noob. :troll: Unacceptable.

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

I have an idea about what this is about, and it is already a thing, in theory it is both ghosting and meta-gaming, but will not be noticed unless people metagame themselves, e.g. checking forums for alt names under posts etc.

Good idea, but it would both be incredibly hard to notice/enforce, and is already a thing!

I have an idea about what this is about, and it is already a thing, in theory it is both ghosting and meta-gaming, but will not be noticed unless people metagame themselves, e.g. checking forums for alt names under posts etc.

Good idea, but it would both be incredibly hard to notice/enforce, and is already a thing!

This is a pretty serious rule break. I don't think we'd punish the accusing party for using OOC information to report people for this abuse.

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

This is a pretty serious rule break. I don't think we'd punish the accusing party for using OOC information to report people for this abuse.

Nice! Thanks for that confirmation, I hope the people who were doing this is will be punished extremely harshly.

Nice! Thanks for that confirmation, I hope the people who were doing this is will be punished extremely harshly.

If someone is on an alt...scouts an area, logs out and back in then initiates as soon as they log in, and it's proven....

That's ghosting, metagaming, powergaming, abuse of game mechanics...I'd recommend a permaban.

You can't use an alternative character to ghost. It's hard to pin down exactly by the victim it happened to but staff can and will punish for that. They have done so in the past.

Thumper spot on as usual.