Server time: 2017-08-17, 10:00

Sign in to follow this  

Necroing threads

I was wondering why do people not like when others revive other threads. In my opinion it just opens up an old debate but lately some threads i have been seeing have gotten a lot of hate if they were necroed. What is your guys' opinion on this?

Texas532    0

I don't see a problem with it. In fact a necro'ed thread could provide a relevant discussion without creating a brand new thread. Although there may be a good reason why necro'ing is frowned upon.

I'm going to revive the first thread I made :troll:

Anyways, I think it's fine but if it is a dumb thread then it kind of gets annoying.

Guest GreenGod   
Guest GreenGod

I don't fully understand why I get told to use the search bar before making a thread and yet get warning points for necroing an old one, perhaps someone could clear up when to make a new thread and when to post on an old one?

I don't see a problem with it. In fact a necro'ed thread could provide a relevant discussion without creating a brand new thread. Although there may be a good reason why necro'ing is frowned upon.

Yeah, i was scolded by someone earlier for necroing a thread and i was talking about the topic, i was like whaaaaaaaa?

I'm going to revive the first thread I made :troll:

Anyways, I think it's fine but if it is a dumb thread then it kind of gets annoying.

Necro old staff's Welcome threads :troll:

I don't fully understand why I get told to use the search bar before making a thread and yet get warning points for posting, perhaps someone could clear up when to make a new thread and when to post on an old one?

It causes less clutter when you use the search function. When you necro a thread its just making an old thread relevant again, essentially you just bump it with your own input.

Guest GreenGod   
Guest GreenGod

It causes less clutter when you use the search function. When you necro a thread its just making an old thread relevant again, essentially you just bump it with your own input.

I understand why a search function is needed I was simply asking where the line might be.

The thread in question was asking where everyone was from so bumping it with my own input was really just my way of saying hey this is relevant to my interests and am interested in getting more up to date information.

I have no idea in that case man.

Nihoolious    1092

People will sometimes necro really old non-relevant threads just for the fun of it. Also GreenGod, the thread you necro'd was from Ocober 2012 and you said "inb4: Necro. Murica" so I can understand why they might give you warning points for that. If your going to necro a thread that is 1 month+ old, you need to have a good reason and it has to make sense on why you are reviving it. Typically reviving a thread that is over a year old is not necessary since someone has probably made another thread that has been posted on more recently.

People will sometimes necro really old non-relevant threads just for the fun of it. Also GreenGod, the thread you necro'd was from Ocober 2012 and you said "inb4: Necro. Murica" so I can understand why they might give you warning points for that. If your going to necro a thread that is 1 month+ old, you need to have a good reason and it has to make sense on why you are reviving it. Typically reviving a thread that is over a year old is not necessary since someone has probably made another thread that has been posted on more recently.

The one i got scolded about is about 3 weeks old but has been active and i was posting about the newest episode of the walking dead. I then got scolded for "necroing" a thread.

Hofer    20

This is what matters. If the thread though is from 2012, and contains relevant information you want to bring up, it is ok.

Bumping joining/leaving threads 1 year later or saying "inb4 necro" on another thread warrants warning points.

Thanks for clearing things up Hofer!

Guest GreenGod   
Guest GreenGod

Yeah thanks, maybe you guys should make some sort of site rules list.

Is it fine to necro game threads?

Of course.

Game threads are timeless. They aren't bound to a certain period. They will always be relevant, or rather, they are never relevant to anything except for having mindless fun.

Sidewinder    1

Is it fine to necro game threads?

Of course.

Game threads are timeless. They aren't bound to a certain period. They will always be relevant, or rather, they are never relevant to anything except for having mindless fun.

Ah sweet, some good game threads have died out and it will be good to get them back :)

kakan    0

Yeah thanks, maybe you guys should make some sort of site rules list.

It's called common sense bud.

Guest Jackalow   
Guest Jackalow

same.

DayzRP

>Shouted at for making a thread that already exists

>Shouted at for replying in an old thread instead of making a new thread.