Server time: 2018-12-14, 18:10
Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

Attention: Parking Helicopters

*should* ;)

Just like in real life, a skilled pilot can land on any big enough flat surface, including rooftops. And just like in real life, you wouldn't have ability to climb a vertical wall to get to it.

If anything it's realistic :trolldance:

I could find a way up...there is always a way, but not in Arma.

*should* ;)

Just like in real life, a skilled pilot can land on any big enough flat surface, including rooftops. And just like in real life, you wouldn't have ability to climb a vertical wall to get to it.

No, you couldn't. Unless you're Bear Grylls.

*should* ;)

I could so kick his ass....

But Arma is so limited, Rolle. Putting them on certain buildings is completely unfair.

*should* ;)

What are you gonna do? Live on a roof?

The fact that I can hop over a 6 foot fence or climb a tree in arma speaks volumes.

The fact that I cant hop over a 6 foot fence or climb a tree in arma speaks volumes.

I could so kick his ass....

But Arma is so limited, Rolle. Putting them on certain buildings is completely unfair.

I know it's limited, but we gotta work with what we have. It's not an exploit to land a chopper on the building since it's possible both in game and in real life. If anything it leaves the vehicle in clear sight and open for sabotage, which will prevent the owners from flying it again unless stacked on spare parts.

The situation reminds me of the discussion about some players on Epoch removing wheels from their vehicles when logging out. People screamed that it's exploiting as well, because "they found the vehicle, so the last owner must leave it in a condition where I can take it". It's not the case however ;)

So, we will be punished or won't be punished for landing helicopters on buildings?

Because it seems like people are split on the entire thing.

I know it's limited, but we gotta work with what we have. It's not an exploit to land a chopper on the building since it's possible both in game and in real life. If anything it leaves the vehicle in clear sight and open for sabotage, which will prevent the owners from flying it again unless stacked on spare parts.

The situation reminds me of the discussion about some players on Epoch removing wheels from their vehicles when logging out. People screamed that it's exploiting as well, because "they found the vehicle, so the last owner must leave it in a condition where I can take it". It's not the case however ;)

Eh? That situation isn't comparable in the slightest, Rolle.

Those people were still able, with a little bit of work, to get the car moving. This is an impossibility in this case. The only way to get it is via another chopper and if they are both on top of buildings then its impossible. All you can do is sabotage it and that is unlikely to happen due to the lack of any decent explosives that can be used at range (apart from launchers).

I won't use the real life argument, because I don't agree with it but I will say that it is kind of bad sportsmanship. It is more similar to using another 'exploit' like putting your tents and stashes in rocks. That is comparable as they are both designed to keep stashes out of a player's reach, however the stash is even fairer as it still could be found.

What if these same people put tents and stashes on top of the buildings? Surely that is more comparable and literally the same thing.

That supermarket case is arguably not that big of a deal, but parking your chopper on top of one of the Altar castles is clearly not fair on anyone.

Also, what are you on about with vehicles spawning before buildings? It was never like that in the past. Who broke the mod?

I parked a little bird on Devil's before a restart. We logged in to find the littlebird destroyed and people died cause when it blew, it blew the building up.

I parked a little bird on Devil's before a restart. We logged in to find the littlebird destroyed and people died cause when it blew, it blew the building up.

What the hell, that was never the case before

fVXYo5G.gif

fVXYo5G.gif

It was always the case before.

fVXYo5G.gif

It was always the case before.

Alright. So this is my situation. If I land a helicopter on a vehicle that wont glitch out and blow up but is completely up for "sabotage" is it allowed or would I get reported?

Edit: Meant to say "example situation" not "my situation"

It's mentioned that if you were to sabotage the Helicopter then they would be stranded. This is not the case at all, as a bunch of people (no names, I'm nice) exploited and used in a firefight against us. I don't really care if parking em up there' is allowed or not, but having ways to glitch/exploit your way off of those towers without being harmed is definitely irritating in very rare situations. You can't use a rope or roleplay getting up there, so same stuff should be in place for getting down.

Still, I almost feel that parking a helicopter on a roof offers no ridiculous advantages, if anything it would give you a false sense of security, perhaps you'd leave nice loot in it?.. I reckon if I was determined enough I could get the means to reach the helicopter and remove it within one sitting.

I know I could get a helicopter close enough to absolutely anything, but that's after months of epoch base raiding... They aren't immune to being stolen in ANY way if you know how to fly and when to eject your passenger.

[Edited slightly as I actually changed my mind whilst writing :P )

From my knowing very few buildings don't actually blow up vehicles. The hotel in cherno, the chopper just falls through it and in some cases doesn't explode, meaning that chopper will be lost forever until it despawns or an admin deletes it.

Petrol stations. Choppers fall through, get stuck. Devils tower. Blows up in most cases.

Zub tower. (Works easy to sabotage)

Supermarkets. Easy to sabotage.

Those are the main buildings which you can land choppers on. Supermarkets petrol stations and castles. Most industrial buildings have access to the roofs of it.

I may be missing something out.

It's mentioned that if you were to sabotage the Helicopter then they would be stranded. This is not the case at all, as a bunch of people (no names, I'm nice) exploited and used in a firefight against us. I don't think it should be allowed as it simply isn't needed and there is ways to glitch/exploit your way off of those towers without being harmed. You can't use a rope or roleplay getting up there, so same stuff should be in place for getting down.

Still, I almost feel that parking a helicopter on a roof offers no ridiculous advantages, if anything it would give you a false sense of security, perhaps you'd leave nice loot in it?.. I reckon if I was determined enough I could get the means to reach the helicopter and remove it within one sitting.

I know I could get a helicopter close enough to absolutely anything, but that's after months of epoch base raiding... They aren't immune to being stolen in ANY way if you know how to fly and when to eject your passenger.

I Mostly Concure. It is possible as posted in a picture before, to get a helicopter that is parked on a Super Market. You have to scroll wheel and do some sketchy things that can of course risk your legs but its risk over reward. Just because you cant climb it shouldnt mean you cant hide it. As was said before if you do hide it you take the risk of it glitching through and blowing up. Such as the international hotel.

I recently saw a thread about this and it was established that it was ok to do (ive never had a heli :P )

Maybe its worth discussing again as to rules

To reply to people who say "hide it in the woods and if you lose gear it happens" Well wouldnt a good counter to that be "Hide it on a building to where its hard to access, it happens" be acceptable? I mean, if you can hide a tent or stash anywhere on the map, wouldnt the same apply to vehicles?

Guest John Le Bear

Make a crafting script that allows players to build ladders?

Or like I said, and had tamster agree, add ladders to some inacessable buildings. Not only does it add a realism sense, it takes away the appeal to park on some roofs, and if someone wants to park thee anyway well then it's their risk.

Guest John Le Bear

Or like I said, and had tamster agree, add ladders to some inacessable buildings. Not only does it add a realism sense, it takes away the appeal to park on some roofs, and if someone wants to park thee anyway well then it's their risk.

Would be a great feature. But it wont stop people from landing helicopters on other buildings that are normally inaccessible.

Would be a great feature. But it wont stop people from landing helicopters on other buildings that are normally inaccessible.

What buildings are landable other than the market, hospital and the castle tower

Guest John Le Bear

What buildings are landable other than the market, hospital and the castle tower

Depending on your skills and the size of the helicopter almost every building.

Thats not necessarily true. I will compile the list. Hotel, Fire station, Super market, Brown barn (sketchy), Hospital, School, red barn (might slide), small industrial building, castle tower, and lastly those weird slanted car awnings.

Guest John Le Bear

Thats not necessarily true. I will compile the list. Hotel, Fire station, Super market, Brown barn (sketchy), Hospital, School, red barn (might slide), small industrial building, castle tower, and lastly those weird slanted car awnings.

Literately every building has a point where a helicopter can balance out on and land for long periods of time safely (presuming the server doest bug, causing the buildings to eat the heli), you just need to find it.