Server time: 2017-08-22, 01:50

Sign in to follow this  
TightPants

Rocket to leave Bohemia

TightPants    0

So he leaves to pursue his dream of making the "perfect multiplayer experience" or he grabs the money and runs? Or was he fired and this is just a marketing speech instead of simply saying "I was fired"? Choose for yourself.

Link to the story by Eurogamer

Quote from the comments:

I can't blame him for wanting to go. The game has kind of gained a mind of it's own, what with all the press hyping it to bits but, the reality is that, if you actually play it, it's not very good.

When you have a game where players can't trust anyone. It stops being fun very quickly. World of Warcraft worked so well because you join the game and immediately have two things:-

1. A reason to co-operate with your fellow players

2. A common enemy that you are all working to defeat.

In Day Z you have none of those things. You basically start thinking.

1. Is that guy over there just going to gank me!

2. How the hell do I find/do anything

3. Who is the real enemy? Other players or the zombies? Will this dude I just met kill me as soon as we find some loot? Should I kill him first?

Like true society would under such circumstances, the whole thing just disintegrates into a pool of paranoia in which you fast realise you're better off alone and simply killing anyone who you meet before they get you! And a fun experience that ain't!

The problem is that now it's path is set and Hall isn't really in control of that path anymore.

Rocket said he wasn't going to be staying around for long at Bohemia on his AMA a while back. No surprise here.

He wanted this for a while.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1vulr2/i_am_dean_rocket_hall_creator_of_dayz_and/

"Yes. There will be content updates and such for DayZ for a long time, I believe. However that would be up to Bohemia for the most part. I'm not sure I would (not want to) be super involved with that."

He decided to leave on his terms it seems.

Edit:

Also, what is the point in that quote? its the same as the way the mod was and became a cult sensation.

They knew what they were aiming to make in DayZ Standalone. An improved mod version. Rocket however wanted to make something else entirely.

MartinJ    1

This makes perfect sense and I appreciate far more than him becoming a sellout just adding more (eventually pointless) things to the game. He was there as the idea pointman, the atmosphere creator, the quality control. Things like adding new or improving existing mechanics can be left to someone who does not need creativity to be a part of their game. It will be more a lifecycle management and maintenance rather than giving birth to something new.

TightPants    0

Well there is no proof that he left on his own terms. He pretty much says that he is good at talking, explaining things and making people believe in things and make them do things. That kind of people also make good liars. Not accusing anyone of being a liar but I have a hunch that Rocket could sell sand to Sahara. Maybe Bohemia didn't want to continue the contract they had with Hall, maybe they both decided that it was time to end the partnership. I guess we never know the truth until Bohemia comments on the matter.

Of course people can speculate things but this might also be a good thing for DayZ.

MartinJ    1

Actually, we know the truth. He agreed to leave. It's perfectly consistent with what he's been saying all along and makes complete sense when taken into context of what kind of a person he is, instead of coming up with conspiracy theories.

Well his leaving was planned and Bohemia confirmed they were aware of his plans. The only reason he stuck around was probably down to money and/or contract to release the game to a certain point.

He wanted things Bohemia couldn't provide and agreed to release the Standalone as a fitting exit. Makes sense.

Besides it could help them market the game.

makes complete sense when taken into context of what kind of a person he is, instead of coming up with conspiracy theories.

Pretty much this. Don't listen to the discussions on the Eurogamer comments :D

Alan Woods    3

It was expected...

It's good he is always eager to get something new out there and I hope his time on DayZ makes it look even more brilliant.

So Bohemia continues makind Dayz without Rocket?

The current team will be, yes. Dunno if that means Lightfoot will be taking more responsibility.

Yuval    2

Could this be a good thing? From what I know, rocket didn't want to have mod support, but since the mod was absolutely crap (at the beginning) he caved in since modders were patching the game for him..

And ATM seems like he is (or was) going the same path, maybe the Bohemia staff will do a better job of fixing the game than rocket..

Ego    1

So just to clarify, will Rocket stop working on DayZ? I'm a bit confused.

Could this be a good thing? From what I know, rocket didn't want to have mod support, but since the mod was absolutely crap (at the beginning) he caved in since modders were patching the game for him..

And ATM seems like he is (or was) going the same path, maybe the Bohemia staff will do a better job of fixing the game than rocket..

Such misinformation. Rocket is a modder himself, he always stated that there would be no mod support in the alpha and beta stages because he wanted to build a stable game first.

He re-iterated that point hundreds of time before the release of the alpha and has continued to do so since. His departure is not the best thing that could happen because the tenacity at which he has approached the making of this game and his passion behind it will be a huge loss to the team. It was expected though after hearing/reading interviews in the past.

Sure, the team are fully capable of supporting the game after full release but I don't think you can underestimate Rocket's influence on this project. I hope his vision of the game will remain after his departure.

Oldman    22

Rocket does not even know what the biggest backpack is in the dayzmod. He is just the spoaksperson.

Yuval    2

Such misinformation. Rocket is a modder himself, he always stated that there would be no mod support in the alpha and beta stages because he wanted to build a stable game first.

He re-iterated that point hundreds of time before the release of the alpha and has continued to do so since. His departure is not the best thing that could happen because the tenacity at which he has approached the making of this game and his passion behind it will be a huge loss to the team. It was expected though after hearing/reading interviews in the past.

Sure, the team are fully capable of supporting the game after full release but I don't think you can underestimate Rocket's influence on this project. I hope his vision of the game will remain after his departure.

The core dayz game mode (mod and standalone) is bad. Only unique mods like epoch, origins, RP and such made this game good, i stopped playing DayZ due to the amount of bandits ruining the game. Many others did.

So rocket one way failed, his concept of a game based on communication and human interaction failed, again, speaking about the core mode. Only mods made the game fun.

The core dayz game mode (mod and standalone) is bad.

Bad? The core mod attracted over a million players and then the alpha of DayZ Standalone has surpassed 1 and a half million sales.

i stopped playing DayZ due to the amount of bandits ruining the game. Many others did.

Bandits make this game interesting. If you ran around knowing you're not going to be shot then the whole game would lose one of it's core elements. Survival. Whether that be PvP, PvZ or PvE. PvP is the biggest threat, so you need to tread carefully. Not enough people play cautiously in DayZ and usually I've found that those who don't play cautiously are the ones who have the biggest gripe with bandits.

So rocket one way failed, his concept of a game based on communication and human interaction failed, again, speaking about the core mode.

How do you measure this failure? His concept of a hardcore survival game seems right on track to me. He always spoke about encouraging player interaction and with the balancing of loot tables as more items are introduced into the world, you'll find that people may have to start sticking together to survive.

There will always be bandits, it's part of our human nature but what makes DayZ great is not knowing whether that guy you just waved at will put a bullet through your head or befriend you.

Yuval    2

The core dayz game mode (mod and standalone) is bad.

Bad? The core mod attracted over a million players and then the alpha of DayZ Standalone has surpassed 1 and a half million sales.

i stopped playing DayZ due to the amount of bandits ruining the game. Many others did.

Bandits make this game interesting. If you ran around knowing you're not going to be shot then the whole game would lose one of it's core elements. Survival. Whether that be PvP, PvZ or PvE. PvP is the biggest threat, so you need to tread carefully. Not enough people play cautiously in DayZ and usually I've found that those who don't play cautiously are the ones who have the biggest gripe with bandits.

So rocket one way failed, his concept of a game based on communication and human interaction failed, again, speaking about the core mode.

How do you measure this failure? His concept of a hardcore survival game seems right on track to me. He always spoke about encouraging player interaction and with the balancing of loot tables as more items are introduced into the world, you'll find that people may have to start sticking together to survive.

There will always be bandits, it's part of our human nature but what makes DayZ great is not knowing whether that guy you just waved at will put a bullet through your head or befriend you.

Maybe i bandits is not the correct term, i'll give you an example of what happened to me when trying to be friendly (also, i never was a bandit)

i meet a fresh spawn, offer him gear and loot, after he takes the gear, he shoots me in the head...

it's not robbing for gear like bandits should, they just kill you for the lols and to piss you off. In Epoch you have traders which you can speak to other people and maybe befriend them, and make a group, normal dayz mod is build on fear of being shot at and extremely rare gear= non stop murdering.

Why do we say that is an issue, Yuval? We do the same here but we do it under RP rules.

Plenty people will tag up with you but this is EXACTLY what happened to the mod. This is popular. The standalone has met its targets in recreating DayZMod on a progressively larger and more detailed scale.

Epoch is based on a fake trade system that would never work. Its dull gear whoring nonsense...

Limeni    0

The most important thing he said:

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

Arma engine is bad, always was and always will be, no game that's based on that engine will ever work properly.

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

Arma engine is bad, always was and always will be, no game that's based on that engine will ever work properly.

Not really.

He said it in the context that he wants to pursue the 'perfect multiplayer game' which cannot be DayZ, in his own words.

He is not criticizing the game but he is saying that his goal cannot be met developing for DayZ.

Yuval    2

Why do we say that is an issue, Yuval? We do the same here but we do it under RP rules.

Plenty people will tag up with you but this is EXACTLY what happened to the mod. This is popular. The standalone has met its targets in recreating DayZMod on a progressively larger and more detailed scale.

Epoch is based on a fake trade system that would never work. Its dull gear whoring nonsense...

not really, I don't mind getting robbed allot, gear can be gained and regained but at least here you (hopefully) get a good RP moment if your robber knows what he is doing, maybe you contact your clan and you all hunt him down after he let you go.

and at least here, you won't robbed for a bandage as a fresh spawn or Kosed for the other persons fun. While in normal dayz this is to common to the point it's a game of simply getting gear, kill people, get their gear, be killed, repeat and that gets very quickly boring unless you enjoy making other people mad/frustrated...

And the trading system isn't the point, it's people meeting at safe zones which may lead to new groups forming, Also the easy to get gear leads to less PvP over gear and a focus over teamwork to fight off other groups raiding your base.

Limeni    0

Not really.

He said it in the context that he wants to pursue the 'perfect multiplayer game' which cannot be DayZ, in his own words.

He is not criticizing the game but he is saying that his goal cannot be met developing for DayZ.

Engine was bad since the Operation Flashpoint, you don't really have to a computer wiz to see that.

Engine was bad since the Operation Flashpoint, you don't really have to a computer wiz to see that.

Agreed, its not the best but that's certainly not the reason that he is leaving.

Also, ARMA 3, SA, ARMA 2 and Take On are all decent games in their own right. Its hardly the engines fault. All (apart from Take On) have taken a lot of money and all have potential with a growing community at the helm.

That is why it is a resounding success.

Limeni    0

Agreed, its not the best but that's certainly not the reason that he is leaving.

Of course, I didn't mean that when I quoted rocket

Voodoo    367

This is either a good thing (maybe the team wont be too picky and SA starts to make a move forward with the community giving input) or really bad and Bohemia think about pulling the plug (Which I doubt as so many people have brought the game)

I guess we just wait and see