Server time: 2017-08-16, 17:45

Sign in to follow this  
Oxx

In-game name search

Oxx    0

Am I the only one who has trouble finding people inside the forum?

I would highly appreciate a function where you could search people with their in-game name.

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

I just type their name, then put DayZRP after it, it should then link posts from that person, easy as that.

But if people find it hard, somehow, erm, +0.5

Murdercool    32

Yes +1

Yes, why not?

Hint; it is not as convenient, but you can use google, even if the in-game name isn't mentioned in a thread anywhere.

Oxx, to take your in-game name as an example (not the greatest as your name IS in fact mentioned in some threads, but I'll ignore those results). I have googled for "Aleksandre Drakov dayzrp" and found this: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-dayzrp-child-forums-16?page=2

Just ctrl + f and search for "Aleksandre Drakov".

It can also be the case that currently your profile displays a different in-game name. In my case, normally my in-game name is "Mr. Isak Magnussen" but now it is "Council Grunt". Googling for "Mr. Isak Magnussen dayzrp", again ignoring the threads in which my name is mentioned, will result in this: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-joining-dayzrp-for-standalone-only?page=2

Ctr + f'ing doesn't work here obviously as currently my in-game name is Council Grunt and not Magnussen. Using the cached version however... ;)

7b6tG.png

^ how to access the cached version in google.

As I said, not very convenient but it works every time.

Personally, I don't want people to be able to search for character names. Why? It can lead to metagaming.

Why should a person behave differently if they know who the character belongs to? I can see the sense in it for reports but staff already have the ability and means to find it. It also takes some of the mystery away from meeting new people. Had we the ability to remove all names being broadcast in chat and channels I would see the point in this but currently, no.

For me, a person who values and relies somewhat on a small sense of anonymity, this would be detrimental.

Tamaster92    14

I do enjoy finding people after the fact, if I have some great RP with someone I will always do my best to PM them thanking them.

It is pretty difficult to find people sometimes but not impossible.