Server time: 2017-08-16, 21:38

Sign in to follow this  
Tomeran

Pyrrhus

Tomeran    3

Gerhardt dusted off his suit. Appearances were important, especielly when adressing a councillor.

The well-illuminated communications room in off-site location 14 was not to his taste, he prefered the gloom. But a weekly progress report was mandatory, so here he was.

The screen infront of him blurred for a moment.

An emotionless voice over a nearby speaker uttered:

"Authorization code confirmed. Councillor Adelhart is on the line. Are you ready sir?"

"Of course. Patch him through."

The blurry screen gradually cleared up, and presented a man in an identical suit. The elderly gentleman seemed concerned, which in turned concerned Gerhardt.

"Dr. Gerhardt. I trust you are well?"

"Quite well indeed, councillor. Yourself?"

Etiquette. What separates us from the barbarians out there in the wilds, Gerhardt thought.

"Im doing well enough. But as im sure you can imagine, me and some of my collegues have...concerns. Not any major concerns yet of course, but still, we've looked over your recent reports, and you have some explaining to do."

Gerhardt frowned. Now what?

"Please do explain, councillor. I am uncertain of what you are refering to."

The councillor took a moment of pause, which further concerned Gerhardt.

"The casualties, of course. The helicopters in particular."

"I see. Well, resistance was stiffer then expected. But we met our objectives. UEF resistan-"

"I know."

"We've crippled UEF operations in the area, and only the CTC resembles anything of a thr-"

"I know."

"The survivors are not a concern sir. If you know all of what I have already reported, then, if I may ask, what is the issue?"

"Have you ever heard of Pyrrhus of Epirus, Gerhardt?"

Gerhardt clenched his fists and sighed while briefly closing his eyes. Oh god, not the history lesson. This was why he didnt like Adelhart.

"No, sir. I have not."

"Pyrrhus of Epirus was a greek general that led armies against Rome during the ancient times. He won several great victories, but each victory cost him so much, and he was not able to match his enemy's ability to...reorganise and regroup, and his "victories" eventually cost him the war. Therefore came the term, "pyrrhic victory"."

"I see sir, you're concerned about the casualties."

"Not just me, all of us. Not greatly concerned of course, we have more pressing issues elsewhere to be bothered by some backwater ex-soviet state, but we're seeing an unusually large waste of resources in your area. All those AH-6J's you keep throwing against the natives? They're not easy to replace."

"I assure you sir, I have things under control. The survivors have barely made a dent in our available resou-"

An angered Adelhart quickly interupted:

"And you have barely made a dent in their ranks either! Yes, you have crippled the UEF, but they are still in the fight! And so is the CTC! And the survivor natives! You're facing a trio of enemies! I managed to convince the other councillors to give you this chance, Gerhardt, to take you away from the simple science divisions. Your work on your various projects more then earned you that. Dont make me regret my descicion. Show a little tactical aptitude, or I'll be forced to replace you."

Gerhardt gulped, barely visible. That was the first time he had ever risked or been threatened with demotion.

"Of course sir. I'll make sure to minimize casualties from now on. What about Jekyll deployment sir, do I have the councillor's approval?"

"That is still being discussed. As you are aware, Jekyll deployment is...not exactly discreet and small-scale. We'll get back to you with an answer on that shortly. Until then, use the assets you have.

While South Zagoria is not an area of notable concern yet, it could be. You know why, you're the one that brought the attention of that...particular potential problem to us. About the information."

"Yes, I understand the importance of containing the situation, sir. Dont worry, I wont fail you."

"See that you dont. You know what happens if you do. I expect to see better results at your next report. Adelhart out."

Gerhardt shuddered as the screen blurred and the communication severed. Well, that could've gone better.

It was time to go for a visit to the bio-labs, Gerhardt felt like taking out his anger at someone. Might as well be the South Zagoria barbarians.

Slute    1

Nice read Tomeran!

Very nice to have some backstory and show some emotion for the Council. Like this a lot, keep doing these!

Guest GreenGod   
Guest GreenGod

Aw shit he gonna come if.fuck us I

Now

Moose    7

Oh boy. I love these short conversations between Council members. Really gives us a feel for who our characters are dealing with. As far as Jekyll goes, im both exited and afraid.

I really liked this, Tomeran. Knew you more as the guy of the giant backstories. A simple conversation like this can tell a lot about people and they're often more interesting than a "dry" history.

Well written. I especially liked the "I know" part. Gave me goosebumps. Could do with some creepy soundtrack.

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

Nice read that, what are Jekyll's though? I am exited as to the result of this!

As usual a brilliant read!

Onionjack    0

Great one, this was indeed interesting to read how they communicated. Maybe some more later? Oh and Adelhart kind of sounded like Illusive Man

TrilbyAsh    6

*Innocently whistles as he casually sweeps away the remains of several Little Birds with a giant foot, tucking them under the rug, in a metaphorical sense.*

Tamaster92    14

Great read Tomeran.

Project Jekyll is progressing... If slowly.

vivallion    4

Council scum will learn not to mess with Chernarus and it's proud denizens!

// Great little intermission from Council.

Sign in to follow this