Server time: 2017-08-20, 15:32

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BoobManReub

Character Customisation Suggestion (not even sure if possible)

Guest BoobManReub   
Guest BoobManReub

I was thinking earlier about how much we value our characters life when we RP, and how we think about all the different details of their past. And it struck me that there should be more character customisation

I'm suggesting this because recently I played a game called Project Zomboid, an isometric zombie survival/scavenge game, similar in concept to DayZ. You create your character in detail at the start of the game, and when they die they are dead forever. When creating said character, you're given options as to their personal traits. For example if they used to be a Construction Worker they are stronger and have thicker skin (less prone to scratches), and if they were a Fireman/woman they swing an axe harder and faster.

Aswell as this there is a point customisation system, here's a picture I found so it's easier to explain

project-zomboid-character-traits.jpg

As you can see there are positive and negative traits. Negative traits make your character less suitable for post-apocalyptic survival, but they give you points depending on how much so. These points can be spent on positive traits, which make your character more suitable for survival in the zombie ridden world. There are many different examples and possibilities of these

Now, this is really a stab in the dark. More than a stab. A f*cking sword fling into the abyss. Because I don't even know if this is possible, especially since we use ARMA as a platform. I don't know if you will approve of this, or if it just seems like an incredible complication. I'd like to know what you think

Personally I think this would be a great addition, because it immerses you in your character and I hypothesise that it would greatly increase the value of your characters life (to you, that is), aswell as making a much more interesting game. However, I'm not convinced that this would work on the ARMA engine (I have never even attempted at modding the game myself but I've heard some greatly horrific things). In that case it might be better to wait until DayZ is finished, and free for modding. The creators might even be planning something similar themselves, due to the fact that your character will soon get bored and have to read books to keep themselves entertained, but I haven't heard anything about it

If any of this doesn't make sense mention it and I can edit the OP

- Reub

Bubbles    31

Whether it works or not, could you post/PM me a screenshot of all "pros/cons" (if there are more than in the picture)? Would be something worth taking a look at while making a new character.

Guest BoobManReub   
Guest BoobManReub

Whether it works or not, could you post/PM me a screenshot of all "pros/cons" (if there are more than in the picture)? Would be something worth taking a look at while making a new character.

http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Traits

Those are all the traits on zomboid, but not all of them would make sense for DayZ. If it would work we would have to implement our own traits designed for DayZ

Bubbles    31

http://pzwiki.net/wiki/Traits

Those are all the traits on zomboid, but not all of them would make sense for DayZ. If it would work we would have to implement our own traits designed for DayZ

Yeah, of course one would have to look at which ones that'd make sense for DayZ. Thanks nonetheless!

Jamesy    0

I would love for this to be possible. Not saying it isn't possible. But, would be nice if it was. Would give me a much better feel when playing on my character, knowing that nobody looks like me and my character will actually be unique in his own way. +1

Kravock    1

This could be possible, however it would require ALOT of code. Redoing majority of the mod to incorporate said traits into things that are done. Database modifications to store and read this information. It would take a long time to do, best off to wait until DayZ is moddable and work off that.