Server time: 2017-10-19, 07:16
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Jonesy

I miss the trading post!

Jonesy    0

When I first started playing here, we had the trading post. I miss those days so much! It was a safe place, a place for people to trade weapons without the fear of being robbed, a place for new people to go to meet people without the fear of being robbed!

Does anyone else miss it or are you glad it's not here any more?

Valkerion    0

Its coming back apparently according to the new rules that the admin team are working on so you wont have to miss it for long.

Jonesy    0

Its coming back apparently according to the new rules that the admin team are working on so you wont have to miss it for long.

That's good to hear.

Murdercool    29

Yeah.. I miss it too..

Tomeran    3

Work in progress.

More news soon™.

I can tell you that its gonna be fairly big, and in character its being built by the CTC(Chernarus Trading Coalition), who will also be its guardians and primary residents.(apart from other players, that is)

Guest Alfie   
Guest Alfie

I know people used to hate the RP there, but it was nice to know that the majority there don't give a shit about your RP. It was pretty chilled.

Jamesy    0

I never got to experience it, should I be hyped for it? I mean, what's it like there? Populated? Protected? Good RP?

Jonesy    0

I never got to experience it, should I be hyped for it? I mean, what's it like there? Populated? Protected? Good RP?

Every time I went there, it was busy as hell. People would park their cars up and empty all their weapons out of it onto the floor, like a little market. Trading etc.

I remember a lot of good role-play coming from there, it had it's downfalls sometimes, like people trolling. But they soon get the boot as long as we report it.

Can't wait for it to come back!

Jamesy    0

Every time I went there, it was busy as hell. People would park their cars up and empty all their weapons out of it onto the floor, like a little market. Trading etc.

I remember a lot of good role-play coming from there, it had it's downfalls sometimes, like people trolling. But they soon get the boot as long as we report it.

Can't wait for it to come back!

Wow, sounds so much more peaceful than the average camp/settlement. I'm looking forward to going there and getting some good RP. Best RP I ever got was only ever at Altar. Since then haven't had any real quality RP. Hopefully this will be able to solve that for me!

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

Am i the only one who doesn't want the TP back, from what i heard it was a cesspool for bad RP and not to mebntion half the server being there. Also, I remember quite a few "never again" posts, what's with the sudden change of mind ?

Hatch    0

I joined way back in may when I was a DayZ scrub and knew nothing. So I got bored and left for about two months, after a few months from returning. I joined 501st and things were great and cool. However; I never got to experience "The old days" when I could of, it's kind of sad :P

kody311    3

I remember watching a bunch of old videos of the TP and I thought it was so cool! But when i finally got whitelisted it was gone. Hopefully if it comes back it'll be better then before! #HYPE

Tomeran    3

Am i the only one who doesn't want the TP back, from what i heard it was a cesspool for bad RP and not to mebntion half the server being there. Also, I remember quite a few "never again" posts, what's with the sudden change of mind ?

The change in mind has definetly not been sudden, its been gradual over the course of an entire year. I cant speak for everyone, but at least a lot of staff members have realized that settlements dont work very well. They're truly your cesspools of bad RP and half the servers being there. This was further complicated by how repetadly they were attacked, which has been a major source for concern not just for the staff but for the community in general.

Still, there are those that dont think a protected TP will be better, although it certainly seems they're in minority. Rolle has deemed the idea worthy of trying. In fact I think he's even quite enthusiastic about it.

Me personally? I realize that there will be issues, possibly quite big ones. But its worth a shot. The PCB/Settlement dilemma is not easily solved, and who knows, maybe the TP actually works out. At the very least, it'll be hard for it to make things worse.

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

The change in mind has definetly not been sudden, its been gradual over the course of an entire year. I cant speak for everyone, but at least a lot of staff members have realized that settlements dont work very well. They're truly your cesspools of bad RP and half the servers being there. This was further complicated by how repetadly they were attacked, which has been a major source for concern not just for the staff but for the community in general.

Still, there are those that dont think a protected TP will be better, although it certainly seems they're in minority. Rolle has deemed the idea worthy of trying. In fact I think he's even quite enthusiastic about it.

Me personally? I realize that there will be issues, possibly quite big ones. But its worth a shot. The PCB/Settlement dilemma is not easily solved, and who knows, maybe the TP actually works out. At the very least, it'll be hard for it to make things worse.

In my opinion the way to prevent the mass grouping is having an array of settlements around the map, to split players up . Rather than everyone going to Prud or Kotei Shima, why not have a large string of varying pcbs .

On the TP , if it has rules excluding hostile action . Where is the roleplay in that , not being able to steal inside a certain area . This won't only take away from immersion, but will lead to mediocre bandits campiby outside of the tp

Tomeran    3

In my opinion the way to prevent the mass grouping is having an array of settlements around the map, to split players up . Rather than everyone going to Prud or Kotei Shima, why not have a large string of varying pcbs .

On the TP , if it has rules excluding hostile action . Where is the roleplay in that , not being able to steal inside a certain area . This won't only take away from immersion, but will lead to mediocre bandits campiby outside of the tp

Im not going to revive all the arguments and the very old TP vs settlements debate, but I'll settle with saying that what you're suggesting has been attempted, to no notable effect. Most PCB's and settlements were brought down by intense bandit attacks and trolling, despite spreading them out and them sharing attention.

As for the TP, the reasoning was that the CTC security at the new TP will be so (sometimes imaginary since we cant be expected to guard it with 30+ people all the time) heavy that it will act as an anti-hostile deterrant in the form of the anti-aggression rule. Think heavy armor among other things.

Will thievery be permitted? Im actually not sure, but same argument applies there in regards to security.

Bandits have had a pretty free reign over what they've been able to attack ever since the last TP, and we've seen how that has ended: Frequent attacks, 4-5 times a day, against every single PCB and settlement that sees a shred of attention. We've had it like that for almost a year now, and we're quite fed up. Most of us at least.

While the old TP may eventually have been flawed and while we realize there's a lot of problems to tackle with the new one, primarily population control and to prevent it from bleeding people from the rest of the map(perhaps the biggest potential issue), the old TP also had a lot of good moments, and was quite popular for a long time.

We're not gonna pretend and say this is a perfect solution, its a solution we're gonna have to fine tune and work on for a long time and hopefully it'll present a very entertaining result.

Guest Nath   
Guest Nath

Am i the only one who doesn't want the TP back, from what i heard it was a cesspool for bad RP

In my opinion settlements are cesspools of badrp, any clan that gets bored just randomly attack and claim they had a valid reason to do so, or just claim they are bandits.

Tomeran    3

Will it be located in the same area?

No. I'd say where, but im actually a bit uncertain on what kind of details I can release on this. But I feel confident enough to tell you that it will not be on Klem mountain anymore.

Me and Kakan are co-designing and building it (just like with the outpost PCB), and it was primarily Rolle that descided the location.

Fozzy    2

Will it be located in the same area?

No. I'd say where, but im actually a bit uncertain on what kind of details I can release on this. But I feel confident enough to tell you that it will not be on Klem mountain anymore.

Me and Kakan are co-designing and building it (just like with the outpost PCB), and it was primarily Rolle that descided the location.

That's great, Klen didn't seem like the best place. I'm just hoping that it is not somewhere that would make it too hard to get to. The TP sounds great though. I'm sure you and Kakan will do a great job.

Teas    1

The first few days I played I went North to Klen hill and found nothing but shipping containers and dried blood.

The Ravens Nest and Sanctuary were in full swing but I'd love a new TP to see what it was all about.

The thing i liked about the tradepost so much (back in the days when i didnt knew the map and was always a bit lost), was the iconic dirt road leading up to it. I think the location on top of the hill together with the long dirt road up to it, was perfect :D

Mace    10

Saying that settlements are cesspools as if it is their fault isn't exactly the proper way to look at it, and I say this as someone who worked unofficially with the TP when it was at Klen, (Briefly) at Prigorodki, back at Klen, and then worked with the Outpost and still do a bit when I can for Pobeda. Having a central area, or areas, where RP is common is not a bad thing. What happens is that people see it as a means of being dicks and knowing they will have victims that have to suffer through them being dicks.

Bad role-playing comes from bad role-players, not a stationary center where it takes place. These people get fed up and bored and want to just be trolls, or they aren't the center of attention and instead of trying to play nicely in the background with everyone else, they just start being idiots to try to get whatever kind of response they can. I'm not going to touch on banditry because I've already talked about it enough and honestly in the state I'm in now I may say something that comes off in a way I don't mean it to.

Don't blame the place for the RP, blame the players. If they aren't engaged they don't have to act like dicks, they are perfectly free to walk out and go do any other number of things across the map. Just because a lot of people are in one spot does not mean, by any stretch of the imagination, that you have to be there too, and the problem is that with a lot of these people they have to be because they think the game revolves around them or what they do.

The only problem that happened with the Trading Post was that people were not leaving it whatsoever, which is an issue that needs to be addressed. There does still need to be some threat or impending danger, and people do need to get out and do other things. Even at the Outpost I'd go out on hunting missions even though 90% of my time was spent there (Or en route between different areas getting supplies). I understand that the staff doesn't want there to be this one spot on the map where 90% of the playerbase is clustered all day every day, that just detracts from the fun of things, but I also think it could lead to opportunities for different kinds of events.

Depending on the population density, a scavenger hunt of a close by area, or a race to a distant area could reward a winner with a prize, there could be reports of zombie hordes moving through certain areas with people needing help that, if left unchecked, could start to gather together and form larger and larger numbers that would eventually take on the TP with overwhelming odds (Server permitting). Small things that, coupled with people doing what they should do to try to get all they can out of the game, will hopefully keep it from getting stale.