Server time: 2017-10-19, 19:45
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
ShadowDrakgon

Tips on learning how to play guitar

Hey everyone so today my friend Damion began teaching how to play guitar and my other friend who also is also named Damion quit guitar and gave me his acoustic that he never opened so its in perfect condition and saved me a few hundred bucks but I wanted to ask if you guys could give me any tips on how to play and starter songs and such and maybe just maybe we could have a DayZRP concert!

Roman    0

Don't think you can learn it over night, it takes dedication with hours per day practicing, look on youtube for tutorials and guitar covers, practice practice practice.

A lot people when they start to play get bored pretty fast since they want to be Jimi Hendrix without any effort, that wont happen.

Repetition is key.

That's the best advise I could give.

Google. And I don't mean that in a sarcastic "lol u shuld google shit b4 u ask", but as actual advice. There are tons and tons and TONS of guides out there. Youtube videos, websites, whole free courses you get through the mail. Guitar is fairly easy to learn and if you can find a good website (and trust me, there are multiple) you'll learn it in no time. That's how I learnt to play bass guitar.

You don't even have to stick to one guide. Just begin by googling the basics; form, finger position, what do you need to know about the guitar. Getting a good form from the beginning is important as otherwise you'll teach yourself bad habits (for your health too) that are hard to erase once you're used to them.

Most guides will probably first tell you to do some finger exercises, not songs but just scales and the like, which I would advise to always do anyway. It's good practice. Of course playing songs is way more fun and I bet you can play some simple songs within days. Or hours. Any fool can play Seven Nation Army on the bass, and I reckon there are similar songs for the guitar. :P

Also what Kreathor said. I didn't want to make it seem like it's super easy. Any skill comes hard, and you gotta stick with it if you want to become good.

Roman    0

Also, you know what they say about bass players right?

Failed guitarists ;)

But much needed.

Failed guitarists ;)

But much needed.

Pff, I didn't even start with the guitar. Went straight to bass. :P I might buy an acoustic guitar one day though.

Bass and drums are the heart of almost any song. Having said that, I agree there's more magic to guitar. For now I'm most fond of the piano. :D

Carved_    7

Well I started with the Metro theme song.

Was a bad Idea . I learned it completely, but it took me ages.

Start with simple chords.

Johnny cash songs have approximatly 4 chords in each songs. that quit a good start.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

Learn chords, techniques, and improvise. Stay away from tabs.

Red    244

I sucked at playing my guitar but i knew how to play some little things by looking for guitar tabs. My big problem was that I didn't and still don't know how to read chords.

Ganjalf    0

The best way is to start learning some chords and try to change from one to another. Look at youtube videos, be carefull to learn how to put the finger in the exactly position. This is important to not have wrong posture at the beginning because it's really hard later to change wrong finger position posture.

As the other said, there are a lot of free videos, tips, courses.

At the beginning is good to learn simple song with 2 -3 chords, just to get use to circle trough chords. Try to have fun, try different methods and find the one that suit you best.

At the beginning can be frustrating but it's woth it.

Scales are the core, a little boring at the beginning, so try to mix what you find more fun (normally the little songs) with the finger exercices.

Best if you have a friend who play well to show you some exchanges.

After learn more chards, you need to learn how to read tabs too.

Practice a little every day, if you can, and in some months you can see some nice progress.

A little example:

(is one of the first I found, it's not bad....but remember if you'll use videos you have to find the "teacher", method, that feels better to you)

enar21    1

Don't start with tabs.

Try to pick some hard chords first so your hand get used, then you will learn quicker.

And I think if you just play constant, you will learn really fast. What I usually have experienced is when like it's going shit after you played a song, just keep playing until you get a decent round then stop playing for 2 hours or more then come back.

- Enar

And yeah if you're having a hard time with chords you can't really reach, think about how you keep your thumb and/or wrist

Othuyeg    20

Who would want a guitar? This is what you need:

soldier_with_a_tuba.jpg

Or in case you need a long range instrument:

yyVU.jpg

It's a shame, but there is no shortcuts to master any instrument.

It's practice practice and practise.

Since I'm the kind of musician I am, i suggest you to study Music Theory and learn different scales on the guitar.

If you learn the scales and where each tone/note is you can easily use that as a ground for learning new songs faster.

It's not the funny way to go there, but it's working :)

Like everyone said: determination is key. I started playing guitar about 4 years ago just as a hobby, knowing I wont become Jimmy Hendrix in the course of a few weeks. Now, I can happily say I've learned to play without tabs, have better finger manipulation etc.

Best way to go I found was to play something simple to begin with, like:

[video=youtube]

After you've mastered stuff like this, move on to more difficult songs (;

Ego    1

Failed guitarists ;)

But much needed.

*insert rage gif*

It's a shame, but there is no shortcuts to master any instrument.

It's practice practice and practise.

Since I'm the kind of musician I am, i suggest you to study Music Theory and learn different scales on the guitar.

If you learn the scales and where each tone/note is you can easily use that as a ground for learning new songs faster.

It's not the funny way to go there, but it's working :)

Thank you man I am doing that a-lot and one of my buddies knows guitar so hes helping me get down the basics and I'm playing a-lot of Johnny Cash since he only uses 4 cords.

Quickan    3

Buy a 6505, tubescreamer, noicegate, a esp horizon/m-II, drop it to A, start chugging.

No but srsly, it depends. I always just sits and making new riffs/improvising to come up with new songs to the bands.

I dont like music theory. I say listen to your ear instead, not what the "science" says. Ofcause you can keep a eye on some scales just to get it right in the beginning of your teaching but I dont think music theory is the answer to be a good guitarist and musician.

But I'm not a expert ether, I'm not getting rich by play guitar so don't belive in everything I say

Buy a 6505, tubescreamer, noicegate, a esp horizon/m-II, drop it to A, start chugging.

No but srsly, it depends. I always just sits and making new riffs/improvising to come up with new songs to the bands.

I dont like music theory. I say listen to your ear instead, not what the "science" says. Ofcause you can keep a eye on some scales just to get it right in the beginning of your teaching but I dont think music theory is the answer to be a good guitarist and musician.

But I'm not a expert ether, I'm not getting rich by play guitar so don't belive in everything I say

5150*

:)

(I'm oldschool. but shit, i still think the 5150 sounds way better. Same elements... but, something is different with the 6505. Own one of those)

Also, the mesa tripple kicks 6505 ass :D

Stagsview    625

If you just started go acoustic first.... Electric is fun and you could make sweet sounds but acoustic teaches you to listen to what your playing... Try and learn basic stuff by ear and gain up some training knowing the difference between a basic mayor to a minor. Also from the very begining work on your timing. Timing is the key so just sit down... Listen to basic songs and figure out the drumming paterns and try and copy the drum patern... That will get your brain working and help you with your timing.

After a whe once yo can do basic chord changing... Timings good... Think of styles you like and start studying into them (scales,chords, rythem paterns etc..) all those stuff.

But what i always say is dont be scared to experiment and do not try and sound like someone but try and twist it to your own taste.

Quickan    3

5150*

:)

(I'm oldschool. but shit, i still think the 5150 sounds way better. Same elements... but, something is different with the 6505. Own one of those)

Also, the mesa tripple kicks 6505 ass :D

Haha! Yeah the 5150 is actually sounding a little bit darker. Perfect for gothenburg metal in my opinion, but I'm still in love with my 6505+ (head of cause, not the fake combo). But I'm more in new kinds of metal. I play with a lot mid etc, no scooping here. :)

I actually got in a bit of a word fight against a scene technican some years back about the mesa rectifier. He insisted that I should play on the mesa which they had borrowed from 4sound. After a like 5 minutes of arguing I said sure, I can try it but I want to play on my own peavey, if I wanted to play on a rectifier I would have bought one since I've already played on those like 10 milion times.

But I play on it, handing over the guitar after 10 minutes and told him that I'm going with my 6505. He actually got really mad and shouted "Suit your self then, idiot" when I was going backstage.. :D

I didn't like him for some reason and apparently he messed up the sound levels when we were playing. Some people in the audience told me that they didn't hear the guitar that good, shocking..

By the way, I promise you that I can rip your balls off with my 6505! There is no better amp right now and has never been. :D That with a rectifier cabinet and a tubescreamer, its unbelievable good sounding.

Hehe, yeah it's a brilliant amp.

I have both in the studio and they both are amazing to work with.

Also, 5150 + rectifier 4x12 = love.

Also vice versa.

Sounds like a silly soundtech.

Probably had to do with that he had to reset the amps between gigs :D

Lazy ass tech.

Roman    0

the Dual Rectifier is a beast in my ears, next amp I'm gonna buy when I gets the money.

Gonna combine it with a marshal stack.