Server time: 2017-08-23, 19:32

Sign in to follow this  
Scaverous

Not enough idle RP?

Scaverous    0

I was wondering if anybody else had this thought cross their head. It seems to me that joining a hero organization is simply an excuse to join active wars primarily for action. Too many hero clans are simply calloused and not interested in helping whatsoever and concern themselves with their own feuds. Worse yet it seems a lot of people IN hero clans are shadier than those unaligned, hell bandits have given me some assistance in the past but when I near a "hero" organization member I'm greeted with harassment esque questions and most of the time shoo'd away. That being said there's not enough people willing to openly admit their bandits. This all brings the next thought to mind. There's not enough idle roleplay. I spend most of my time walking from point a to b. No I don't mean out of a vehicle, if I had one I would use it. I mean literally walking. I'm not going to to tell anyone they SHOULD walk, but I will say when your with a newly aligned individual it makes for some great roleplay. Just the other day me and somebody met up at Prud and went to the north to retrieve a vehicle I found. Took hardly any time at all and we traded some great stories on the way there with minimal OOC. It just feels like too many people are about looking for action, meanwhile looking for action or not it will find you. Prud is not the only haven for roleplaying, random campfires also do well to attract others.

DeadKiller    0

I did this once WAY back when there was something called "The Trade Post". Me and some Kid walked, and I mean walked as in not running or jogging to NEAF and had some great RP. I have been feeling that lately people have kind of stopped caring about peoples back stories (that does not mean everyone).

Voodoo    371

What 'hero' clans have you been around? Ive been in TWS for about a week now and helped many people with directions and giving supplies.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

A lot of clans are becoming more survivalist like instead of hero like. For instance my clan was created for the sole purpose of us basically being selfish. Only caring about our own affairs instead of the people outside of our tribe. But occasionally we will meet civilians and give them a lending hand. Other wise we shoo them away. Also a lot of clans are created for the sole purpose of "action". Its just balancing action and RP that is difficult. Come down to elektro some time if you wish to see OS ;)

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

there's not enough people willing to openly admit their bandits.

I do not agree with this statement. If you're a 'bandit', you wouldn't openly admin to people who are around you - that you rob, and most probably kill others.

All that would do, is drive people away - ending up in yourself being robbed / harmed.

Think about it, if you were a 'bandit' who robbed and killed people - seeing this as an acceptable act, would you go to.. let say.. Prud, and tell everyone you're a bandit?

I'm able to see where you are coming from in relation to organisations not willing to accept that they fall under the 'bandit' definition.

However, many have reasons in which they commit such acts (RP reason) - due to this, they might see themselves as being 'bandits'.

Just my opinion.

Scaverous    0

No I meant in relation to organizations whitepointer. I understand neutrality and I have no opposition to actual bandits I might add. In fact I feel sometimes bandits get too many complications and sympathize with them. These are just things I'm seeing lately.

Stagsview    589

There are very few true hero groups on this server... You neee to think of this hero/bandit style of mentality and think them as groups of survivials... IRL you would not go up to someone and ask them if theh are hero or bandit... They will not admit to any one of them.

Let your own character judge if they are good or bad not what they tell you.

TWS is strickly a hero clan per say... But IC half of hs are Ex bandits and survivalists with dark pasts...

Metaphor    0

Check out the TOR clan. If you come to Cherno we/I will most likely meet if I am on. And I and many of TOR love idle roleplay

CannedPakes    0

Isn't USS7 supposed to be a hero clan? Do they even exist anymore? Either way, they held me hostage and tried to execute me because my gun "could've gone to better use with a civilian".

MartinJ    1

The problem is this ridiculous notion that "clans" exist and have a binary of "hero" or "bandit" with nothing inbetween. I suppose it is the DayZ mentality that makes actual survivor groups fail every time because people are less interested in building great deep characters and rather play the game. The amount of times me, Alpha and Namu met up and walked together or just did a small camp and talked sometime and every single time whenever someone would join (save for like what, 2 exceptions) they would simply get bored and leave or try to rob us or get tired of walking everywhere and just ran off etc... I don't know what it is but it's true that idle roleplay doesn't work and that's mainly I think because the "end-game" of DayZ isn't survival but fights.

That's why I very much supported I think Tomeran's (?) suggestion months ago that canned food etc should pretty much disappear from loot tables and instead there would have to be crops prepared, so that it would make sense to create small and big settlements (small = you and your group survive, big = another group maintains it and employs civilians in maintaining the food etc). This would also do away with the hero/bandit clan philosophy as they would be more about survival as well. Hunting together for animals and stuff...

Octopussy    0

I know this probably doesn't belong here, but when you say you walk and talk.. do you use voice chat to roleplay those sort of situations or do you stick on toggle walk and type away?

MartinJ    1

I know this probably doesn't belong here, but when you say you walk and talk.. do you use voice chat to roleplay those sort of situations or do you stick on toggle walk and type away?

Walk, talk on voice chat, type out any actions in the chat if necessary. (Stopping the walk if necessary.)

Tomeran    3

TOR. We've been around for about 14 months and we've been at a state of war once, against the chedaki when they raided the previous incarnation of the Prud PCB. That lasted for about a week. Oh and we had a bit of a brief scuffle with some bandit groups maybe 13 months ago.

Other then that, we've never initiated on a soul. We've had 6 different outpost PCB's up in which we've concentrated on delivering supplies to people. We've done walking-pace RP and our rangers are dedicated to just helping people.

I think we might be the only group in dayzRP that has a less hostile history then the free medics.

...oh right maybe this belongs in our group thread, but we're not really alone here. As mention, there's the free medics and I think the watchers qualify as a fairly friendly group too(although they do on occassion go on bandit-hunts, from what I've heard).

I can agree that too many groups that proclaim themselves as "hero" groups very rarely display the correct attitude. They dont seem to take their own clan concept seriously, and quite many resort to banditry. But there's definetly exceptions, as mentioned above.

I can also COMPLETLY agree with this statement:

Prud is not the only haven for roleplaying, random campfires also do well to attract others.

[/Quote]

Truer words were never spoken.

Guest Rhinjavar   
Guest Rhinjavar

I know that I'm a new soul here, but "idle" role-play is my bread and butter. I've never been a fan of PvP and only engage in it when it fits the role-play. I'm a very big supporter of role-playing the day-to-day struggles of life, even the mundane. These little elements help to make the character feel really alive as they are always engaged in every moment - they don't just emerge to be a hero or a villain and then disappear when the action is over. I'll happily engage anybody here in idle role-play if I encounter them. All I ask in exchange is that you don't shoot me on sight as that tends to be counter-productive. :)

Scaverous    0

Truer words have never been spoken by someone other than Martin J, Tomeran.

The problem is this ridiculous notion that "clans" exist and have a binary of "hero" or "bandit" with nothing inbetween.

Realistically speaking there should not be as many clans as is. The only reason clans are available is due to the overwhelming majority of players who want to be in the middle of battle. This causes way too intricate of politics which could be avoided if players stuck to the microcosm, not the macro.. More often than not do players actually run TOWARD gunfire when they're hardly equipped themselves, this is just pure insanity. Living for as long as you have with all the day to day fear, putting yourself in the open after a firefight just because your curious would be unwise. I do not discourage scavengers of course, so long as your gingerly with it.

Regarding clans in general, I could understand maybe a couple of leftover army deserters and very strong idealists or nationalists forming different banners but regardless they would only worry of themselves, everybody really only worries about themselves. So to claim hero or bandit seems sort of trivial. Granted I've been here for a very short period of time but realistically there should be a wide variety of kinmanships and communes. For this reason I feel Epoch would always have been more fitting to RP on seeing as you can construct buildings and the lore states that it is set about 2 years after patient zero so by now people would have begun looking for permanent structure rather than just tents.

these kinmanships would mean there are a lot of smaller communities stretched out with the soul purpose of avoiding each other, many of which attempting to steal form others. This would encourage individuals to create something unique to their character and develop their character's mental state, which is something I've seen VERY little of. Human beings crack under pressure with the every day stresses we deal with in this reality. If we were in fear of constant danger every single day, watched loved ones and neighbors slaughtered in front of you, lost everything you owned and simple saw walking corpses in front of you there's probably a 90% your going to endure some psychological trauma. This brings me to my next point.

This is a RP server, it is focused around roleplaying, or story making, it baffles me why people would go through finding the site, registering, then going through the CRAZY whitelisting process only to break NLR, KOS, and honestly to me the worst of all Fail RP. To break character in a roleplay environment seems insane to me. I don't mean for a while, honestly I've gotten shit for stating i'm going out of character to mention I have to go do something IRL, when people are fail rping anyway and half assing it with cliche characters, phrases and actions. I usually see people break character when it comes to something like engaging someone else.

I haven't seen much of TOR around Tomeran, I was trying to get a hold of TRI for a while I'm just waiting for a response on their end. I am interested if what you say is true though, I'll always be willing to create more characters and backgrounds, I think that's my favorite part of roleplaying, which is why I usually Perma Kill my characters. Also I'd like to demur Tomeran, I'd like to specify, I believe Prud is the only neutral ground opened to strangers, I wouldn't call the inhabitants prime roleplayers. I would love to see more areas opened or at least occupied. Someone mentioned the Trading post. I would LOVE for them to arbitrate value in loot, and just offer another neutral area. Hopefully more guarded than Prud.

I don't know if I should have included this in a previous statement in this post, but there's a lot of resources I believe DayZ could really do with, strangely I don't see too many modded aspects of DayZ, I love what DayZRp is doing but in response to MartinJ you mentioned farming. Farming would be ideal for DayZ in fact a lot of different things would; I was overjoyed that DayZ Standalone included books that you could actually read. If anybody could port that from standalone to the server that would be amazing.

MartinJ    1
Regarding clans in general' date=' I could understand maybe a couple of leftover army deserters and very strong idealists or nationalists forming different banners but regardless they would only worry of themselves, everybody really only worries about themselves. So to claim hero or bandit seems sort of trivial. Granted I've been here for a very short period of time but realistically there should be a wide variety of kinmanships and communes. [/quote']

I very much agree. I am personally very much against any sort of group application to join and would prefer if factions had to loosen up their restrictions for members and would instead recruit as they go. It would make them both more careful in their interactions (are they robbing a potential member?) and improve the variety of groups.

Alas, I think that's just one of my ideas that are too radical for DayZRP in its stage, which I'm completely fine with.

Scaverous    0

Yes I am happy with the way the DayZRp experience has treated me as well. I just have so many ideas as a place like this is somewhat of a refuge for myself. I personally enjoy writing as a hobby so my view on a setting is strict in some ways, I have in fact adapted though.

I think the main problem is that you cannot participate in "idle RP" if you do not have anything to say. You can always talk about "current affairs" and other topical stuff but if you do not actually have an opinion on them (beyond your (ethnic) group's general opinion) conversations like that get boring quickly.

Working out an elaborate background for your character before you start playing is therefore essential. Perhaps not to those that are blessed with the skill of improvisation (I know roleplayers that somehow manage to talk on and on and on in such a realistic and natural manner - makes me jealous), but certainly to us average DayZRP members. There are many guides out there that underline the importance of a solid background, guides that encourage you to answer questions like "where do you come from?" and "what does this mean for your character?" - yet it seems a lot of people do not bother giving any answers beyond "he was a [profession] from [country]".

I have been guilty of this myself too. Previous characters were either extensions of myself (which is fine but not very interesting) or they were based on a stereotype. The result was that often I just did not have anything to say. Nothing interesting at least. But now I have worked out an actual background for my character. Situations he has been in as a kid. Events that define who he is. Experiences that changed his life. And if you do that, it is so easy to just talk. About anything. I walk around with someone, all of a sudden something my character has experienced pops into my head. I mention it and it feels natural.

Our lives are the sum total of our experiences and the choices we have made, and this counts for our virtual DayZRP lives too. Obviously the experiences we can come up with are limited, but even a few important ones help. Besides that, what you experience in-game can define you too, but you have to start somewhere.

An alternative I forgot to mention is that your character just isn't very talkative. In that case, idle RP might not be something you will participate in often. But remember that you can say a lot with a few words. Even a lack of words can say something about you. In that regard it is a shame we can't show emotions through facial expressions and posture, but we'll have to live with the limited game-mechanics.

Personally I have the best roleplay when I'm just travelling around with someone willing to talk. You'll find yourself getting into exciting situations eventually anyway. You'll get robbed. You'll see someone get robbed. Walk around for a while and something is bound to happen. And if you combine the adrenaline rush type of roleplay with idle RP, you'll find that the consequences of the former type will be that much more interesting. Seeing someone you have never talked to get killed is one thing. Seeing someone that just told you he misses his wife get killed is another.

I might not be the best spokesperson for this as I haven't played nearly as much as the rest of the community, so take my opinion for what it is; the product of rational thinking and a few recent experiences.

After this thread I've been starting to walk much more, feels more natural, well not when going from Stary-Elektro, but I walk a lot more, I really enjoy it.

SweetJoe    283

Gijs you hit the nail on the head.

I have decided that I like and respect you.

Keep it up.

Don't let me down.

not that you care. ;)

Wish I could say ive played with you.

Keep it up.

Don't let me down.

not that you care. ;)

Trust me.

I do.

Especially because it comes from you.

Stop pressing enter.

Stuff and things.

I don't play much. Well, more and more now actually. And people saying stuff like that makes me anxious. I'm rather self-conscious about my in-game roleplay. People have such high expectations of me for some reason and I don't think I'm that good. :|

SweetJoe    283

Keep it up.

Don't let me down.

not that you care. ;)

Trust me.

I do.

Especially because it comes from you.

Stop pressing enter.

Stuff and things.

I don't play much. Well, more and more now actually. And people saying stuff like that makes me anxious. I'm rather self-conscious about my in-game roleplay. People have such high expectations of me for some reason and I don't think I'm that good. :|

[/quo

im on a mobile and Im only learning how to use it...its making me into a forum type person(whore). Ill hit enter less.

especially because it comes from me? Haha you really do share my type of humor.

roleplaying is easy. Just respond to the world around you as the character you set out to play, and stick to it. You shouldnt be anxious. This is a game afterall.

But I know what you mean though. Sometimes when I feel that way I just wander by myself. 3 hours later and a bag of food and I feel better about finding someone to interact with.