Server time: 2017-10-17, 18:51
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
SweetJoe

Identify your targets!

SweetJoe    387

You cannot claim an active fire fight all the time.

You must Identify your targets.

Just cause you heard a gunshot...doesnt mean you were shot at.

just because someones walking through the woods or a field doesnt mean they are hostile towards you even though you were shot at 10 minutes or even 6 minutes ago. dont shoot them unless you know who they are.

I keep hearing about people getting kosed for no reason and when i investigate it its because of a claim of an active fire fight and then the kos'd gets pressured into not fileing a report or is given gear.

this makes me rage because the same guys that kos like this dont learn their lesson. and as the KOS'd you gear should matter less than your life.

I implore you. if you get kosed file a report. people need to learn a very important lesson..... IDENTIFY YOUR TARGETS DESPITE WHATS GOING ON.

if i hear of one more story where someone shots an animal and gets brained by a sniper or an lmg....

Hatch    0

Not really a guide. There should be a "rage" section on the forums :P

Good point though :)

Mush    2

SweetJoe    387

didnt know where to put it...ummm...your right...if possible...could some kind person of authority please more this to general discussion.

Also id like for anyone who has this happen to them talk about it.

or tell me im wrong.

Because im hearing alot of chatter about it....ive witnessed it...and ive read it on the forums.

Id even like a difinitive source (admins maybe) to post what an active fire fight zone really is and what you can and cannot do. because some people it seems are too trigger happy and dont know the rules.

Frisia    8

Well this is a Player vs Player Server (well turning into it) and this is what you can expect! You just need to evoid all shots even if its people shooting zeds. cause people can just KOS you at a location where there is a firefight and claim you were involved as you got into a room where dead people are wich you didnt know so you can get killed and banned for 5 days cause im a PvP'er who isnt tolerated on this forum cause we value Roleplay by bullets more cause that is the new Roleplay!.

But seriousely im a bit pissed here I just want to roleplay here on a roleplay server but these guys who value PvP More ruin it for us all.

Seriousely have you seen any of the clans that get the most into firefights give off good roleplay?!

-snip- Nevermind that last part that was just stupid rage:D apologies to all.

Tomeran    3

We've had problems with target identification and "firefight zone" claims for over a year in dayzRP.

The problem lies with the risks bandits have to take to re-initiate on these people and the effort that goes into properly identifying targets. It can be difficult, and its easier to shoot first and identify later.

Note here that this is just an explenation of the problem, and not an excuse for the behaviour.

Its hard to be a bandit on dayzRP, there's a lot of rules and responsibility that comes along with it. But a lot of people are so coloured by their experiences on the public servers (that have no KoS rules) that they have trouble to adapt to this. They dont want to put themselves into any more risk then they already do, they want to win, and this can often lead to them taking "shortcuts".

There are even dayzRP "old-timers" that keep repeating this even though they should know better by now. Fortunetly most of them have left/been kicked out of the community.

And to avoid ending on a negative note: There are also people that manages to play by the rules quite admirably. Its not an easy thing to do, but a few do it very well and as a result rarely end up(for valid reasons) in reports.

Red    238

Isn't there a way that when you start shooting, your name tag becomes visible for whoever hovers over your character?

Actually no, i guess that would only be an easier way for people to start metagaming or shoot each other through trees and what not.. Trying to come up with a solution for this issue is hard, ehehe.

Seiceps the Deceiver    309

Frisia those events that you posted, yah those were all in RP reason. Not because some people wanted to fight others...

Clintbet    0

Yeah, this has been an issue.. Since day one. It won't stop, but hopefully it can be reduced.

Mikachu    26

At the risk of sounding self centered I feel rather perfect to reply to this thread.

I have been in some of the biggest PVP clans on the server in my time here - TOG, IRA, BHM, even RSM to an extent. I have not been banned or received warning points a single time. The problem lies with the two distinct possibilities which can occur during a firefight.

The player you see is a civ in the wrong place at the wrong time, or,

The player you see is an enemy.

Sadly they both have massive negative consequences, if they are a civ and you fire, it may be KOS, if you don't fire they may get involved or get in the way or otherwise be a nuisance in the fight. If it is an enemy and you fire that's the perfect situation. If you don't fire they can kill you, flank you etc.

Without clan skins or any signifying features by which to 100% ID a potential enemy there will always be KOS reports from firefights. Some people very much abuse the rules to take advantage of the fact that you cannot just shoot them when in reality if a armed person was skulking around your firefight zone you would kill them in a instant.

The amount of times I have witnessed people running straight into a firefight because they heard shots and want gear is ridiculous and sadly there is no easy or obvious way to fix this. In the new rules it states firefights will be taken into account when judging reports but we will see. Something needs to be done to help both the civilian party and the firing party because at the moment it is incredibly difficult to do anything hostile without being reported.

EDIT: Obviously I do not have a solution for this problem though sadly, I often try to think of ways to help it but it sure is a toughie.

Tomeran    3

All thrill seeking and no roleplay seeking.

See

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-cra-radio-station-invasion

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-prud-lake

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-council-offensive-osprey-takedown--37504

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-the-expendables-siege-of-xxxxxxxx

And look at most clan threads

PvP Glorification in a RP server! It cant get this Ridiculous!

I truly hope that was sarcasm.

Siorre    0

See

Please tell me you are joking? All of those had RP behind it. Just because you think it was just, OH LOOK, LETS HAVE GOOD PVP, HERHERHER, but no. All of those had RP behind it. Don't start saying none of those were not RP fueled. That's called being arrogant. CRA and Prud lake had RP behind it.

Well this is a Player vs Player Server (well turning into it) and this is what you can expect! You just need to evoid all shots even if its people shooting zeds. cause people can just KOS you at a location where there is a firefight and claim you were involved as you got into a room where dead people are wich you didnt know so you can get killed and banned for 5 days cause im a PvP'er who isnt tolerated on this forum cause we value Roleplay by bullets more cause that is the new Roleplay!.

But seriousely im a bit pissed here I just want to roleplay here on a roleplay server but these guys who value PvP More ruin it for us all.

Seriousely have you seen any of the clans that get the most into firefights give off good roleplay?!

On the sidenote as Folk on how mutch i Roleplay instead of Killing folk...

Its outright Ridiculous that people who value RP above PvP get punsihed while PvP'er who just give people the hard on of adreline a cookie.

See

Yeah man hey i have a great idea. Why dont you make a suggestion with a poll in the ideas section, where you explain that pvp in an ARMA (Armed Assault, a military simulator) Mod is really destroying the RP immersion. Then you suggest to replace all pvp things. Weapons would be replaced by roleplay items like flowers and cookies. And then we can all sing a long while we dance and rp together through Chernarus.

Sorry but complaining about pvp on a military sim mod is kind of ridiculous.

Muntz    3

Weapons would be replaced by roleplay items like flowers and cookies. And then we can all sing a long while we dance and rp together through Chernarus.

This would be amazing. Could we all chase rainbows? Instead of killing and eating the bunnies we could catch them and dress them up! YAAAAAY

You need to check with the devs whats possible but yeah maybe there are rainbow addons, check armaholic!

Thumper    0

Weapons would be replaced by roleplay items like flowers and cookies. And then we can all sing a long while we dance and rp together through Chernarus.

This would be amazing. Could we all chase rainbows? Instead of killing and eating the bunnies we could catch them and dress them up! YAAAAAY

I puked in my mouth...just a little.

Text

Yeah man hey i have a great idea. Why dont you make a suggestion with a poll in the ideas section, where you explain that pvp in an ARMA (Armed Assault, a military simulator) Mod is really destroying the RP immersion. Then you suggest to replace all pvp things. Weapons would be replaced by roleplay items like flowers and cookies. And then we can all sing a long while we dance and rp together through Chernarus.

Sorry but complaining about pvp on a military sim mod is kind of ridiculous.

Lets remove the zombies too! It's ruining my immersion!

Franz    0

I puked in my mouth...just a little.

This.

Guest Alfie   
Guest Alfie

You can say all you want about the PvP aspect being seen as greater than RP by some people. But without gunfights, robberies, this wouldn't really be realistic RP wise. Yeah, roleplay is awesome, but it shouldn't be an issue if PvP is as well.

As for the whole IDing situation, I agree, but I don't. If you catch my drift.

From your (you being the person who's been shot) perspective, it seems like a typical failure to ID targets by the shooter. But in some situations, it really isn't. In a gunfight, it gets very tense sometimes, and you end up rarely thinking twice, especially when the person is running around the area you are currently fighting in. And that results in the innocent civilian being killed. It might suck to be KoSed and misidentified, but it's not as blatant as it looks.

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

Regarding the flowers, I'm all up for that, I'd say let's push to replace military uniforms with sweet colourfull disney-princes' outfits as well!

On topic, regarding the OP, KoS is bad, yes. But not during a fight. It's bad before and after, but not during the fight. It's a (post) apocalyptic world. Both sides are fighting for their lives. Realisticaly, noone would stop and consider shooting someone running in the firefight area just cause he may be innocent

Now, killing someone cause you thought you got shot, is a bullshit excuse, I agree

We need firefight-zone specific rules. We need rules to punish everyone, involved parties that shot someone 1km away cause he seemed hostile, and the randomer that ran in the middle of the battlefield for ze phat l00ts.

Ancalagon    0

Yeah you definitly have to identify your targets if possible. But seriously, when ther eis a firefight you are getting shot from and shooting at a treeline since 4 minutes and then someone appears in this treline, looking like the enemy... seriously? And yeah, such cases exist, and yeah, people report such things and yeah, i belive people were punished for this.

Our you see a enemys, first shooting at you, then one starts running towards you, you run over the crest of the hilla nd cirle down the left,, seeking cover, 30 secs later you see someone on the field coming from the direction of the attackers, looking like one of the attackers but claiming that "they only gave him a ride" after you killed him... lol

There are always borders, yeah you can't just shoot everyone and you have to be careful sometimes, check skins, weapons, where they come from ect and f.e. if someone is jogging over a field without doing anything, i doubt that it is the enemy.

On the other side, it is hard to think about everything while you are under heavy fire and try to survive, one time i was even killed by an accident by someone i was helping because i just appeared behind him and he mistook me for a enemy.

It's not like its only the fault of the killer. The Rules here exist to prevent that KoS destroys to RP. But this Project also wants to approach reality and this is a postapocalyptic world where the certain person/group is fighting for it's survival. Sorry but in everyone who values his life won't take risks in such situations.

Also, PvP-Glorification on a RP server? Sorry to tell you that mate, but RP=/=WeAll<3us

RP means that people are meant to roleplay and in a postapocalyptic world with groups from different countries and with different ideologies, conflicts are normal and a part of the RP. Attacks and Hostage situations are sometimes much more intersting then friendly RP, like Misty said, there is a reason why we are playing a military simulation, otherwise we can simply use axes... but even then, people might rob others. So yeah, people show off their battles and wins, this creates RP and creates more conflicts and grudges between groups which are maybe in war already

SweetJoe    387

You can say all you want about the PvP aspect being seen as greater than RP by some people. But without gunfights, robberies, this wouldn't really be realistic RP wise. Yeah, roleplay is awesome, but it shouldn't be an issue if PvP is as well.

As for the whole IDing situation, I agree, but I don't. If you catch my drift.

From your (you being the person who's been shot) perspective, it seems like a typical failure to ID targets by the shooter. But in some situations, it really isn't. In a gunfight, it gets very tense sometimes, and you end up rarely thinking twice, especially when the person is running around the area you are currently fighting in. And that results in the innocent civilian being killed. It might suck to be KoSed and misidentified, but it's not as blatant as it looks.

actually ive talked to people who were just within 400 meters of armed groups who just shoot them. ive approached quiet zones and been shot at. My problem is not that things happen to me, but server wide, and the excuse for not identifying your target is, "its an active fire fight" mean while your just looting bodies and shooting at people in the distance because your hyped up on adrenaline.

and i dont mean any specific you.

im just calling attention to it. anyone who thinks the pvp is a problem....your missing my point. point is....

IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET NO MATTER WHAT. WHEN IN DOUBT DONT DO IT.

shit happens. sometimes its hard to tell. But what ive seen in the last week is disgusting. If this is how were going to play, than anyone is fair game when shooting happens, no matter the situation, no matter whos around, no matter where you are, no matter what the person shot is doing or has in their hands. And shooting unarmed people because they might pick up a weapon< or someone who is gutting any animal is despicable.

oh and dont get me started on my opinion of "well...well give you gear" as a response to a KOS. this enrages me, This game, as much as you think it is about the gear, its not. its about what you can make of it. And when someones doesnt ID their targets and kills someone, it should be about the life taken and the terrible mistake made, not what the person lost. If your paying someone back for something you've done wrong in this manner, the chances that you have learned anything are minimal. and i think you'll do it again.

If i was an admin. OOC giving of gear would be punishable.

((oh yeah. i went there.))

Guest mooimabird   
Guest mooimabird

Yes very good point. I vote for rant Section! xD

SweetJoe    387

Regarding the flowers, I'm all up for that, I'd say let's push to replace military uniforms with sweet colourfull disney-princes' outfits as well!

On topic, regarding the OP, KoS is bad, yes. But not during a fight. It's bad before and after, but not during the fight. It's a (post) apocalyptic world. Both sides are fighting for their lives. Realisticaly, noone would stop and consider shooting someone running in the firefight area just cause he may be innocent

Now, killing someone cause you thought you got shot, is a bullshit excuse, I agree

We need firefight-zone specific rules. We need rules to punish everyone, involved parties that shot someone 1km away cause he seemed hostile, and the randomer that ran in the middle of the battlefield for ze phat l00ts.

Sometimes the group hangs out for 20 minutes after, shoots at stragglers in the trees, and then kills anyone who walks up. other times they are traveling and were shot at 10 minutes ago so they shoot the first person they see. other times they are just hanging out and know people have kos so they fire. shit happens.

Im just saying if you get KOS'd report it. dont back down to the active fire fight if you know you were doing nothing wrong. dont accept the gear. this crap will keep happening.

ok. im sorry for getting heated. I am from newyork, i havent used any terrible words. im sorry if this looks bad. im not talking about anyone specific. this really does seem to be an issue and ive talked to loads of people. Idk. im sorry if this seemed like a rant post. i could have done it in a less heated fashion.

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

At the end if the day, you have to take a risk. Always think before you kill the target, I've been killed in crossfire once but I didn't report, just feel as if i didn't want to die i shouldn't of gone towards the huge amounts of gunfire. Curiosity kills the cat.