Server time: 2017-10-21, 23:25
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Hatch

Baiting or not Baiting.

Question

Hatch    0

I have a question, say I wanted to steal a vehicle and I had clan XML on. If the owners of the vehicle open up on me, and my clan is in the vicinity. When are they allowed to react to me being fired apon?

It seems if you want to steal a vehicle now it is either, avoid the shots or die.

Opinions?

16 answers to this question

Alan Woods    4

I have a question, say I wanted to steal a vehicle and I had clan XML on. If the owners of the vehicle open up on me, and my clan is in the vicinity. When are they allowed to react to me being fired apon?

It seems if you want to steal a vehicle now it is either, avoid the shots or die.

Opinions?

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-formal-rp1-baiting-in-novy-sobor-07-02-2014-18-40

I think this might relate to your question?

Burgz    6

It's advised you initiate when trying to steal a car, I think, in essence your friends really aren't allowed to shoot at the moment. Fair enough if you pick them up later and you take fire they can, but not whilst you're stealing it I don't think

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

Yes, this would be baiting, it can be considered an easy way to get a firefight going or something.

Are you satisfied with your answer or would you like more replies on this question? :)

Edit: It can be highly dependable on the situation, so it might not be classed as baiting within a different scenario although from what you explained above, appears to me as baiting.

Opinions?

You can steal it but your guys shouldn't be getting KoS rights for you stealing the vehicle. You die, its your fault. You survive, awesome.

Another way is to initiate and steal it.

If they are out of chat range then you should claim the vehicle, via audio or text. They can't shoot then and if they do they are liable for RDM.

Threaten them: "We have your entire camp covered. I am going to take that car. I recommend you do not shoot or you will all be killed".

Hofer    20

You can steal it but your guys shouldn't be getting KoS rights for you stealing the vehicle. You die, its your fault. You survive, awesome.

If they are out of chat range then you should claim the vehicle, via audio or text. They can't shoot then and if they do they are liable for RDM.

This pretty much sums it up.

MartinJ    1

I don't know, man. It seems like considering this against the rules is the essence of "ruleplay over roleplay" ... Imagine the following scenario:

"Alan, you are our fastest runner. Leave your gear with us so you are fast, sneak to that group's car and steal it. We will cover you from these hills and if they notice you, we will protect you."

To me it makes perfect sense. The thing is that we all tend to expect the worst of each other (and most likely we are justified in that prejudice) and we tend to assume that someone doing that is doing it to bait a firefight, not to actually try and steal the car, even though it makes perfect sense.

But again, that assumption is, probably and very unfortunately, justified. :(

Voodoo    488

This

I say it should be in your hands if you decide you want to steal the vehicle your clan mates should just say 'good luck' and turn their back on you. If you can drive off and not be killed great but its putting your life in your own hands.

Also its risking your clans if they are in the area at the time. If the person you stole a vehicle from see's the logo then walks to the nearest camp to see other members of a clan with the same logo he has all rights to question them and maybe initiate.

Id say its one of them things that you have to completely consider before attempting, not only for yourself but your clan mates that might be in the area (not participating in your actions)

Another thing ive noticed a lot is clans claiming vehicles. Just the other night we were at prud and a clan came over questioning where we found the vehicle and that it was stolen (fair enough makes decent RP). They wanted to check the gear, we then found a gun was stolen, we decided to leave the area as it was getting heated and we couldn't find the person that stole the gun (no initiations were given).

MartinJ    1

Another thing ive noticed a lot is clans claiming vehicles. Just the other night we were at prud and a clan came over questioning where we found the vehicle and that it was stolen (fair enough makes decent RP). They wanted to check the gear, we then found a gun was stolen, we decided to leave the area as it was getting heated and we couldn't find the person that stole the gun (no initiations were given).

lol... when one of your guys came over asking me about the gun and I did take it I was shitting my pants. Fortunately saying "I was nowhere near your car friend" was enough! :D

Guest Vespah   
Guest Vespah

As stated above, it is baiting. Pure and simple.

Could be used in the same way as opening someones backpack in hopes of them initiating on you. Because you know fine well teammates are waiting and can engage on the guy who just killed you. Its a loophole in the rules in my opinion.

Either I rule should be introduced on the lines of "If you steal a car without any hostility, then clan members do not gain KoS rights if victim open fires", or something along those lines.

Valkerion    0

Could be used in the same way as opening someones backpack in hopes of them initiating on you. Because you know fine well teammates are waiting and can engage on the guy who just killed you. Its a loophole in the rules in my opinion.

Either I rule should be introduced on the lines of "If you steal a car without any hostility, then clan members do not gain KoS rights if victim open fires", or something along those lines.

The thing is its not a loophole its a fully punishable offense its bad sportsmanship and downright unfair play and will usually result in the offender being punished.

I would say record and report but its pretty hard to predict when someone is just gonna run up and open your backpack....

Guest Vespah   
Guest Vespah

The thing is its not a loophole its a fully punishable offense its bad sportsmanship and downright unfair play and will usually result in the offender being punished.

I would say record and report but its pretty hard to predict when someone is just gonna run up and open your backpack....

You may have misread me or misunderstood, its a loophole in the fact that people think they can get away with beleiving and arguing that it is KoS rights. I am saying it is baiting.

MartinJ    1

I still think it is a very reasonable thing to do and the only reason it is considered baiting is specific to DayZRP and the way rules work here. Well actually the largest factor making us go straight to baiting accusations is lack of trust in other players.

Bryan    0

Marking this as solved then. ;)

I still think it is a very reasonable thing to do and the only reason it is considered baiting is specific to DayZRP and the way rules work here. Well actually the largest factor making us go straight to baiting accusations is lack of trust in other players.

I would argue that it is classed as baiting, partly due to mistrust, but the main problem is that the scenario basically is an easy way to gain KoS rights while avoiding all role play interaction with others.

Why should a person get killed for protecting their property when the thief didn't claim it as their own?