Server time: 2017-10-17, 04:09
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Ghost of Gijs

Realistic non-hostile first contact

Everyone is always talking about how to realistically initiate hostile roleplay, but nobody seems to care about non-hostile roleplay. How would a survivor in the apocalypse act if he saw another human being?

I tried to answer this question for my character. He's distrustful but not afraid; just wary of the intentions of others. That's only rational, which so many bandits roaming the country.

However, that still doesn't answer how exactly I should contact. Everything I have come up with as of now sounds really awkward. It helps of course if there's something pressing. If you are hurt, for example, or if someone else is hurt. Then you have something to say (should you want to). But if two random strangers bump into each other?

A quick nod and a "hello"? That does not feel right. Human contact is not only scarce®, but also more dangerous. You don't just say "hello". Yet sometimes I am just stunned when I bump into someone unexpectedly. Perhaps that is how I should act: stunned. :P

I am curious as to what others say/do when they bump into someone. And I am specifically talking about bumping into someone without having specific intentions; if you want to rob, help or ask for help it is quite clear what you have to say.

Might give me some inspiration. :)

Murdercool    29

I guess if human population was really scarce, in your own defense you would raise your gun at them first and ask them questions before letting your guard down. Only if I guess you have ran into some nasty people and wary of bandits. If it was early days of infection, you wouldn't think much about it. It would be like seeing any other person, although maybe you would panic and start asking lots of question about the state of the infection.

Ego    1

Ive found out what kind of person I would be in a zombie apocalypse after playing Project Zomboid multiplayer..."human?! Im outa here!"

Apfelsator    2

Yet sometimes I am just stunned when I bump into someone unexpectedly. Perhaps that is how I should act: stunned. :P

That is actually what i would assume to happen if you met someone unexpected in an apocalypse and if the one seems to be friendly.

This and some unsure attempts to start a conversation.

Roman    0

I'd act really nervous and a bit chocked, I wouldn't point the gun at them because that could get you killed but I'd be very aware that we both have weapons, I would say I don't want any trouble, then when the situation has cooled downed I'd start talking to them.

Dora    0

For me, it would be pretty awkward. I would try and be kind as possible. If the person is sketchy, I'd get out quickly as possible.

Mush    2

I usually shout, "Hello Sir!" but I am trying to improve.

I'll be interested to see how other meet and greet, I'll be taking notes :)

tnkydoe    14

When I was in al-takizh I would make people drop their id a take 5 steps back. I would say " who are you, and what are you doing around here. If you dont mind can you drop your id on the floor and step backwards so I know your human." After they dropped it I would *picks up id and glances over it then tosses back* and tell him to get out of the area because we were usually doing something :D

MartinJ    1

Well first of all I don't think you would see anyone asking for any sort of an ID in a zombie apocalypse.

It depends. On DayzRP things are different than in most other post-apocalyptic worlds you'll see out there. In Fallout it is very clear that there are other people alive. On DayzRP it's fairly similar.

My character doesn't get surprised when seeing another person because, well, it's not really surprising at all. On Walking Dead for example other survivors are far more rare than on DayZRP. At the same time on Walking Dead survivors are not even nearly as rare as in "I, Legend" so while on I, Legend they are so happy to see there is someone else alive on Walking Dead they know there are other groups out there and they also know those groups might do whatever they have to for their own survival so they are more cautious.

The difference between DayZRP and Walking Dead is that on DayZRP there are also groups who will kill and rob not for their own survival but for the heck of it, so honestly 90% of the time the realistic thing to do is to avoid pretty much anybody unless you have the advantage of numbers positioning or the other person is unarmed. If I see a car coming down the road the safest thing to do is just to duck and hide and that applies to pretty much anything to DayZRP.

This is partially because it's perfectly viable to be a lonewolf when it comes to surviving - if you can find animals you can pretty much refill your blood, you can loot cities and bases yourself so in the end you don't really need anyone. The only thing I found I can't do effectively as a lonewolf is repair vehicles or rather, helicopters and planes (I can usually repair a car even alone). There's nothing pushing me to be with other people other than my actual desire to roleplay and interact with others as much as possible whereas if I was in the DayZRP universe I would avoid EVERYONE unless I was absolutely sure they were unarmed (while i was armed) and they were alone.

black02rex    0

Since I have to make a post about being pruned, and am new to the RP thing, I do have a suggestion. I have been watching a lot of gameplay by a guy on YouTube and when he comes across someone he usually get cover, points his weapon, explains his situation such as "I have a gun pointed at your head kneel down and drop your weapon and then we can talk. If you comply I will not hurt you." usually the other player compies (although not always) and a small conversation ensues. Sometimes they cross load loot and sometimes he gives the player something that he has 2 of or gets info on bandits that are shooting fresh spawns and taking the bandits out. I guess its all about what both players are looking for in the game but if you decide that you want to be in control of the situation, that is a good way to start. No one likes to die after they are all kitted up.

Mikachu    26

Hey buddy!

Cid    333

Martin has quite the point, things are much different on DayZRP. Most people start off with asking if you have any ID, which is just silly in my opinion. This post isn't about that though, I could easily save that rant for another day.

My character is sort of like his. I'm not surprised when I see another person. I've been around long enough to know that there are other people around Chernarus, it's just a matter of where and when I meet them. Quite normally though, I don't find myself saying "hello" to someone. I normally just start off talking about the surroundings. For example, if someone were to run into the market I would normally tell him what's around and if it is even worth his time looking around the market for supplies. Off of that I continue to talk to them which can transition to asking them why they are around, what are they doing, or what there name is.

Hell, it works for me it might just work for others. I find it to not be cringe-worthy or awkward, but that just might be me. In short; for me it's just based on the situation at hand and I try my best to play off of that. But that's just how my character is. We won't all have the same characters.

Othuyeg    20

"Hello, do you have a moment to spare for our lord and savior Brian the divine unicorn?"

Guest Vespah   
Guest Vespah

Contact with lone survivors always begins with (for me):

"Hello"

"ID?"

"How'd you end up in Cherno?"

"You havnt seen such and such around here have you"?.

Now I dont mind the Hello initiation, as there are many people in Chernarus, and that should come as no shock to people, its a common occurrence to see a person around Chernarus, but I believe it could be roleplayed out better. Such as,

"Oh hello, I havn't seen anyone around here for a while" ect.

But the matter of "ID" just pisses me off. In a Zombie apocalypse, ID is going to be the last thing on your mind. In my opinion, asking for ID is just an abuse of mechanics and poor RP. People come up to you and ask for ID purely so they can see your name. If you refuse to give ID, you get initiated on, which I wouldn't really see happening in a real situation. E.G:

Badguy: Hey, whats your name?

Me: Ummm Scott.. why?

Badguy: Oh do you have any ID proving that?

Me: No? ID Was the last thing on my mind when shit hit the fan

Badguy: Okay drop your gear and put your fucking hands up.

Stupid.

But I am glad Gijs brought this up, I see far too many threads saying how to properly initiate on someone, or how to engage in hostile activities, but I see no topics on general friendly Roleplay.

On a sidenote:

Since I have to make a post about being pruned, and am new to the RP thing, I do have a suggestion. I have been watching a lot of gameplay by a guy on YouTube and when he comes across someone he usually get cover, points his weapon, explains his situation such as "I have a gun pointed at your head kneel down and drop your weapon and then we can talk. If you comply I will not hurt you." usually the other player compies (although not always) and a small conversation ensues. Sometimes they cross load loot and sometimes he gives the player something that he has 2 of or gets info on bandits that are shooting fresh spawns and taking the bandits out. I guess its all about what both players are looking for in the game but if you decide that you want to be in control of the situation, that is a good way to start. No one likes to die after they are all kitted up.

Frankie by any chance? :P

novafolfsky    0

I pretty much play DayzSA the exact same way. Been taking a break from SA though. I find the game much more enjoyable that way. But you still run into people who CL. Shoot. Or dont listen to you when you try and make contact unfortunately.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

Well if you are in a clan/group several more factors must be taken into account (eg are they my enemies? do they look like them? etc)

Myself I usually make contact anyway, often I am the one talking and they seem to say very little. They seem to be either scared of me or are on TS telling their buddies the "sweet gear" I have.

Best "Ice-Breaker" in DayZRP is simply to offer a hand. Show kindness but still try to appear intimidating (Which is usually very easy if you have a PKM or something) Don't point your gun at them as you are automatically judged by your appearance the way you react to running into someone is VITAL in determining their attitude towards you.

For cars? Well when I am driving with my clan we rarely stop for anyone (Mainly for our RP reasons) but the few exceptions is when the other party is completely vulnerable/open. eg running away from zeds in the middle of a open field.

In the end there is no right or wrong call, I made the best friendship in my gaming life by simply talking to a complete stranger. Never underestimate the power of kindness and mercy.

Muntz    3

Non-hostile greetings? People do that?

Teas    1

I usually act surprised to see someone living (sometimes it's genuine) then tell them I'm not looking for trouble, relax, take it easy, could you watch what you're pointing that thing, etc. Then just ask questions without becoming annoying or overly curious.

Mental    0

"Friendly in Cherno! Friendly in Cherno!!"

*Gets initiated on*

"well shit"

Thats kinda what my old character was like haha.

black02rex    0

Contact with lone survivors always begins with (for me):

"Hello"

"ID?"

"How'd you end up in Cherno?"

"You havnt seen such and such around here have you"?.

Now I dont mind the Hello initiation, as there are many people in Chernarus, and that should come as no shock to people, its a common occurrence to see a person around Chernarus, but I believe it could be roleplayed out better. Such as,

"Oh hello, I havn't seen anyone around here for a while" ect.

But the matter of "ID" just pisses me off. In a Zombie apocalypse, ID is going to be the last thing on your mind. In my opinion, asking for ID is just an abuse of mechanics and poor RP. People come up to you and ask for ID purely so they can see your name. If you refuse to give ID, you get initiated on, which I wouldn't really see happening in a real situation. E.G:

Badguy: Hey, whats your name?

Me: Ummm Scott.. why?

Badguy: Oh do you have any ID proving that?

Me: No? ID Was the last thing on my mind when shit hit the fan

Badguy: Okay drop your gear and put your fucking hands up.

Stupid.

But I am glad Gijs brought this up, I see far too many threads saying how to properly initiate on someone, or how to engage in hostile activities, but I see no topics on general friendly Roleplay.

On a sidenote:

Frankie by any chance? :P

Yes, I think Frankie Roleplays great when in the proper situation. On both the Mod and SA. It is fun to watch him like a soap opera.

Tomeran    3

This varies between my characters.

Tom, being a ranger, often takes initiatives to greet strangers. Over the months and year(s) I've started to loose almost any interest in being "well kitted", so I sometimes takes a lot of risks to greet new people, even though they could be hostile strangers.

This is a problem, because it can be argued that im not valuying my life, since people are generally dangerous, but at the same time, Tom's taken a vow to help people, is a fairly brave fellow and...the alternative would simply be to cover in the woods all day and never dare to say hello to anyone. If that's the alternative then I can live breaking a little "realism".

I usually just go "hello there. Dont worry, im not going to hurt you" followed by a "do you need anything?" or some such, to try and spark up conversation. In most cases people want to put some distance because they dont believe me.

Yeah, I usually take the initiative to declare my "friendlyness". Its rarely resulted in me being robbed.

On Boris, my old CLF character, its completly different. Boris used to be a hermit before he dared to trade things at the old TP, and even then he was a little scared of meeting new people out in the wild. I usually dodged most people I hadnt already met at the TP and established some sort of bond between. Once he joined CLF, Boris changed back a little to his more cruel self and could even take aggressive initiative towards other people.

As for Buck Andrews...well he's council, so he'll just shoot you where you stand.