Server time: 2017-08-23, 02:40

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Westy

The report mentality

Guest Westy   
Guest Westy

Hello anyone who might be reading this,

I would just like to put my opinion here, it is only an opinion of someone who once loved this server and the community even more so.

However I have had to take multiple breaks of recent, and so has BH as a clan taken a break, for me it was caused by the direction the community is moving in, and I know the reason was the same for some of my Brothers.

I loved when everyone had respect for all of the members in the server and all the hate and anger towards other people was in character, now the server seems to have de-formed into a pvp focused hatred with more fighting OOC on the forums than with our characters in the game, we are all here we all enjoy playing dayz and i bloody hope we all enjoy RP'ing!

However as it stands right now when people lose a firefight, gear or get out smarted in game, when playing their character, there is always an unfair reason they lost, a loop hole in the rules and a reason to report the person/people who beat them. This is very saddening for me, especially when it is so blatantly obvious that in most reports it is not even about the person learning a lesson from the punishment they might receive it is about the person who lost in some way, gaining a victory over the person who beat them. People need to start separating there in character feelings and out of character feelings and just accept when they are beaten or out smarted in game instead of trying to find a reason or excuse for losing and then going onto making a report.

In my opinion this 'butt hurt' (I hate to use this term but it fits) mentality needs to stop, it is getting worse and more people and doing it because others are doing it, therefore this is turning into one big vicious circle.

Like I said it is just the opinion that I have and I would love to start to see people separating their feelings, hatred and anger from their characters and the feelings they should have OOC, and it would nice to see some sportsmanship in losses not excuses.

Thankyou if anyone did read this,

- James Wild

Fozzy    2

Honestly, most reports are based because innocent people are getting killed and the excuse "you were in a firefight zone" comes up. I think this is the biggest issue at the moment, because it's quite clear that people are exploiting it. Hopefully the new rules are released soon and will make things more clear.

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

I disagree with you on most of the things you are saying, this community hasn't changed in a bad way at all, everything is still the same. The majority of people have always been slightly annoyed that they may have lost their hard earned gear, people soon learn that the RP is more important. You state that you know that 'butt hurt' is considered rude and you still use it, please try and avoid words like that as it can be considered flame baiting.

Don't get me wrong their is a few parts in there that I agree with you on, I do feel like people are trying to report others and only try and get them in to trouble, I don't think everyone does this, but there is a very small majority that get quite angry and try and find a reason to get someone in trouble, some people even lie and make it up. As I say, this is a very small majority. This has always been the same though, there has always been this within DayZRP and it will never change, that's just how it is.

Anyway, sorry if I got carried away, just wanted to post my opinion on your post.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

Report mentality?

Reports are made when rules are broken, or when someone believes a rule has been broken.

They are entirely in their own right to report something if they feel it is suitable for discussion.

Westy, I don't see how you can complain when the majority of your posts and threads are in formal reports and report discussions.

Guest Westy   
Guest Westy

Fair enough Pandi, this is your opinion and I respect that, however I am talking about changes in attitude and mentality since maybe the first half of 2013 which in my opinion are very vast! People have always been upset about losing gear yes, however making excuses and reports for their loss, no that was a very rare occurrence in the first 3 quarters of last year. As for the flame-baiting accusation, it was not aimed at anyone and therefore I am unsure whom you are suggesting that i am flame-baiting?

I would have to agree with you that not everyone makes a report with the sole aim of getting people banned or in trouble, however in my opinion it is a vast majority and I have seen a large increase in this kind of behavior over my time in this community.

My main point was the fact that people need to separate their feelings in and out of character, and those who do really need to stop making reports out of anger.

But i respect everyone's opinion and I hope mine is respected aswell.

magw33d The reason my posts are in reports is because I don't care for the post count bullshit, I only post if it is necessary, and i felt that this post was necessary, although I am unsure if you are just trying to get a reaction or bring negativity I still respect and appreciate your opinion.

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

Fair enough Pandi, this is your opinion and I respect that, however I am talking about changes in attitude and mentality since maybe the first half of 2013 which in my opinion are very vast! People have always been upset about losing gear yes, however making excuses and reports for their loss, no that was a very rare occurrence in the first 3 quarters of last year. As for the flame-baiting accusation, it was not aimed at anyone and therefore I am unsure whom you are suggesting that i am flame-baiting?

I would have to agree with you that not everyone makes a report with the sole aim of getting people banned or in trouble, however in my opinion it is a vast majority and I have seen a large increase in this kind of behavior over my time in this community.

My main point was the fact that people need to separate their feelings in and out of character, and those who do really need to stop making reports out of anger.

But i respect everyone's opinion and I hope mine is respected aswell.

Thank you, yes of course I respect your opinion, I was not pointing out that you were flame baiting, I said it can be *considered* flame baiting, meaning someone might take it offensively.

I don't really think much has changed since 2013 really, people report others for rule breaking, I hope to think that people don't lie to get others in trouble because they are angry about loosing their gear.

I know what you mean there are always going to be people in this community who quite literally report "everything" even when its not needed at all.

I personally dont write many reports at all because quite simply I cant be bothered I just deal with it unless its actually ridiculous I wont waste my time writing it because although im a pretty patience guy I dont have the patience for 6 pages of smart-mouthed denial when they know they have done something wrong.

Almost every firefight we have had we have had someone join our channel and complain about something most of them well mannered and just curious which is fine but then you get the people who just join and shout "thats KOS your getting banned" followed by them just leaving the channel before even getting the details.

I wish personally that report discussion where used for you know discussions rather than a back and forth of people trying to expose guilt or innocence.

Guest Westy   
Guest Westy

I understand what you mean pandi, sorry. I meant more the first half of 2013 when you weren't on the server, it seemed to have more people in the community that knew how to separate their IC and OOC feelings and did not make a report about almost all of their losses.

Valkerion I enjoyed reading your post and agree with everythin you said in it, it was nice to have some constructive/positive criticism!

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

I agree with most of the OP. The community has changed a lot since I joined back in May, and not in a really good way.

IMO the reports and the rules need to be changed, so I'm really hyped about the new rules that are coming.

Buthurtness is a big factor on some reports, however, I think the biggest issue is that people abuse the "rule safety" in their gameplay.

Something like:

"Oh there is a fight, lets get free loot. If they shoot me, I report for not IDing target, ban these bitches"

And then comes the part that the OP mentioned. Getting outsmarted=report. I totally agree that people need to seperate their OOC feelings and their IC ones. People need to stop trying to ban each other, and love each other.

Make love, not reports

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

To be honest it is best to try and find people who broke or you broke rules against on Teamspeak. 9 times out of 10 you realise they are nice guys and are genuinely sorry. It saves reporting people and makes a few friends

To be honest it is best to try and find people who broke or you broke rules against on Teamspeak. 9 times out of 10 you realise they are nice guys and are genuinely sorry. It saves reporting people and makes a few friends

couldn't agree more +100000000000000000000

Caesar    438

I remember almost a year ago now when the same claim you made was being made by quite a few people. The long term perspective has told me this, some people will report you. Sometimes reasonably and sometimes not.

It is up to the staff team to decide whether the report is in fact justified. You may think that some people should let things go even if they are correct in their interpretation of the rules. Perhaps a case can be made that they should.

Claiming that the community has gotten worse is a claim that I have heard ad nauseam. There has always been a few bad eggs that will do as you claim. It is a simple fact of such a large community. However, what we often forget that what gets reported is only a tiny minority of the actual interactions that occur in game and that generalising the actions of a few on the entire community is unjustified. I have been in your situation and it is not easy to take a step back and gain this perspective so I definitely see where you are coming from.

Guest Westy   
Guest Westy

Again really enjoyed reading this post IcyZ, good to see your opinion!

Couldn't agree more.

I also strongly agree with this ArcticStarling.

Very wise words Caesar and I can see where you are coming from, I try to take this perspective but it just hasn't clicked, yet!

Thankyou for your post and helping me to start look at this a bit differently.

Guest Westy   
Guest Westy

No, like I said I have taken multiple breaks over the past few months due to the problems i mentioned, I was not part of this report or even online at the time, so in answer to your question no.

However in review of that report, without trying to insult anyone, my personal opinion is that it could be compared to some of the issues i have spke about in this thread.

I don't really agree with most reports and in my honest opinion I think some of them can be kinda childish, it's a game, somebody made a mistake, get on with it.

A simple apology should work 95% of the time in my opinion.

I've been exposed to a lot of situations that I could have reported but I didn't, I kept on playing, I can't be bothered with all the drama.

If it's nothing really serious I don't see the point, it's almost a game now to report people.

For me, if it's not blatant KOS/Trolling I can't be bothered.

But I'm also a firm believer of role play over rule play.

Maybe it's because I couldn't give two shits about my gear and don't care about PVP so my pride doesn't get hurt if I die.

Ironicman    7

I think people get more frustrated and make reports cause people value PvP more then RP like when people here the magic words of 'Drop your weapons' then they suddenly get a hardon to Murder a person in coldblood without leaving Any charrachter defelopment at all or mental damage. To kill a person so close wich you just met you need to be mental insane or need drugs (Criminals) or be specialiced trained and indoctrinated (Special forces)to have no problem with it at all.

Also most Reports are KOS wich is always related to people bieng to trigger happycause they are afraid of bieng killed themself or when they cant even ID their targets at all.

Samaritan    254

I agree with getting on TS or via PM and sorting it out there. It happened a few days ago with me. We discussed it, they were sorry, a simple misunderstanding (not ID'ing a target) and then its sorted. I could have reported them but after discussing it via a few PM's I didn't take it further.

Don't get me wrong, if you think you need to make a report and a discussion reaches an impasse then let the staff sort it out.

You have to ask yourself a question, does it REALLY need to be made into a report?

Alan Woods    3

I agree with getting on TS or via PM and sorting it out there. It happened a few days ago with me. We discussed it, they were sorry, a simple misunderstanding (not ID'ing a target) and then its sorted. I could have reported them but after discussing it via a few PM's I didn't take it further.

Don't get me wrong, if you think you need to make a report and a discussion reaches an impasse then let the staff sort it out.

You have to ask yourself a question, does it REALLY need to be made into a report?

This,some reports are made for little things...

kongsbak    0

Personally i will start to make more reports, simply because of the reason that lots bandit groups just use the "Drop your weapon, 5 sec" and then if you ask why they do it "we want your gear" and then just make childish excuses to rob me. It isn't all groups that is like that, but SOME

I got kos'ed yesterday and now i don't really care about it, i was a bit annoyed for 5 min and i'm not annoyed anymore, because it was simply a mistake. But if someone is making one of those robberies as mentioned, then it's not a mistake but just a group or person that want gear to PVP with.. And that is something i will start reporting.

Texas532    0

Personally i will start to make more reports, simply because of the reason that lots bandit groups just use the "Drop your weapon, 5 sec" and then if you ask why they do it "we want your gear" and then just make childish excuses to rob me. It isn't all groups that is like that, but SOME

I got kos'ed yesterday and now i don't really care about it, i was a bit annoyed for 5 min and i'm not annoyed anymore, because it was simply a mistake. But if someone is making one of those robberies as mentioned, then it's not a mistake but just a group or person that want gear to PVP with.. And that is something i will start reporting.

I agree with this. Many bandits take what they want because they want it. No one robs people for some food or drink. Hell if someone robbed me for some food/drink or some other necessary item and gave my guns back, I wouldn't even think about exercising my KoS rights. In the words of one bandit when asked why they were robbing me, "We're doing this for the good of ourselves."

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

I agree with this. Many bandits take what they want because they want it. No one robs people for some food or drink. Hell if someone robbed me for some food/drink or some other necessary item and gave my guns back, I wouldn't even think about exercising my KoS rights. In the words of one bandit when asked why they were robbing me, "We're doing this for the good of ourselves."

Not all bandits are the same mate

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjMdUoAzjp0

I made my first report tonight against a guy that shot into Prud Lake camp at civilians tonight for no reason at all. Even though he didn't harm anyone, and was killed subsequently because of his uninitiated engagement, i felt as though it was necessary to make a report so he could see that his actions are not allowed on this server and so he can double check the rules and make adjustments to his role-play.

Those kind of reports are needed i feel, though not to get someone banned, but to make them understand that this is ultimately an RP server. However, i do admit there are a lot of reports that are fueled by some OOC hatred, gear and frustration.

Reports are needed for people that break the rules that are stated. That's all they should be used for. People in this community shouldn't seek to punish someone for their actions, but help them understand the rules better and make sure that they learn from their mistakes and become better at RP.

Rolle    2462

Well, since May last year we have indeed gone a long way. From a simple non-KoS server to a proper role playing community. The report problem you describe isn't always clear as black and white. The reports are important, the more reports we can go through the more people are removed from the game, if nobody would report anyone it's be chaos on the server, since we can't track everyone all the time in the game.

However, there have been and still are certain people in this community who are intentionally playing on the edge of breaking the rules (aka rule playing) or show clear disrespect for RP and fair play. They play DayZRP as if it still was early 2013, where RP was very light or sometimes non-existent and the server had more of a RPPVP experience. These people tend to get mad or very defensive and passive aggressive when reported and punished, because in their mind they followed all the written down rules and they cannot grasp the idea that the rules and the game play has changed and the written down rules are not the only thing that should be followed. Fair play, common decency and respect for the other players are just as important.

We in staff have been struggling to eradicate behavior like "drop weps, 5 secs" for almost a year now and we're not quite there yet. However, I'd like to think that we've improved significantly over these months. Lately, we've taken a more aggressive approach at players that are here not to RP, but to PvP in a non-KoS environment, those who only care about robbing or killing other players and hoarding gear - what happened to SKA is a prime example. We have also introduced a new report system which prevents people from directly creating rage formal reports, all reports are now first given an overview before escalating them to formals. Most report discussions are in fact closed because they are resolved between the players as misunderstandings or mistakes. False formal reports are very rare, almost non-existent because we've clearly shown that we won't tolerate any attempt to lie or change the story in a report.

To sum it up, my opinion is that we've improved significantly in both report and role playing on DayZRP. Sure, there are always some people who will report you for legit circumstances, but here's where you have to trust the staff and our judgement.

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

I totally agree with Rolle, this community has jumped leaps and bounds since I joined, we have gone through drastic changes within the mod, and the community, but in my opinion, whatever hard times we have had, we have always come out twice as good a community on the other side. If the community had a couple more changes and if the mod undertook some basic changes, it would be perfect.

The whole topic on reports, I feel it is a lot better now than before, and the punishments are a lot more swift and regulated, I like it.