Server time: 2017-10-19, 09:19
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Dora

Static Radios?

Question

Dora    0

So this is just a little clarification I wanted. If I do not have a radio in my inventory, and find a static radio on a table, am I allowed to use that radio as communication and not have it considered meta gaming?

6 answers to this question

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

I'd say as long as you are next to it the whole time you are speaking, that's most likely fine, although I probably know as much as you, it will be nice to know if you can do that or not.

Murdercool    29

In my opinion it sounds fine, just I guess if you are being taken hostage and have armed people with guns pointed at you it can be seen as fail role-play. As it would not be possible to attempt to talk to people on the radio without being heard by the hostage takers. I can see it as fine if you don't have a radio, or your in a room without anyone that would stop you from talking to other people.

Dora    0

I'd say as long as you are next to it the whole time you are speaking, that's most likely fine, although I probably know as much as you, it will be nice to know if you can do that or not.

Right, hopefully a Gamemaster could respond to this and give his/her input.

Tomeran    3

If you're talking about those big radio object things, then yes. Its only metagaming to broadcast these messages if you happen to have no access to radio equipment. The radio item in your toolbelt happen to be by far the most common item to use for such communication, which is why its the one refered to in the rules.

Of course the possible exception to this is if people magicly conjure up some little tiny communication device they could hide in their buttcrack or something to radio out warnings. The radio equipment should be represented ingame somehow, and the large radio you mentioned has a clear and visible represenation.

Any bandit(or person in general) with a reasonable degree of sense should realize you're capable of transmitting a message if you're standing next to such a perfectly obvious communications instrument. Unless there's something clearly wrong with the equipment or something.

Im a big fan of announcing vital radio communications in text or voice though. Even discreet whispers should be mentioned imo, so people know or at least ooc:ly realize that you're doing communication. It can be pretty hard to hide, sometimes.

TrilbyAsh    6

As long as it's RP'd well in my opinion, it's fine. Using that big nice shiny radio thing right beside you to call for help? Sounds fine to me, as long as you make it obvious you're doing it. Using carrier pigeons / smoke signals / emergency yodels...Not so great. I wouldn't recommend it. Especially the Emergency Yodel. It'd just confuse anyone that hears it. Marking this as solved and all that.

Dora    0

Thank you for the satisfying answer Tomeran. I'm going to close this now. If any Gamemaster has anything to add or has a different opinion they can easily reopen this for discussion.

Trilby: Arcus has le failed. /reclosing this fo shizzle, since he opened it. Egit.