Server time: 2017-08-21, 16:06

Sign in to follow this  
Muntz

Player List

Muntz    3

So I know this was brought up months ago. The dev at the time said he couldn't do it. But, new devs new possibilities right?

Anyway, the player list. Remove it.

Simples.

This small change would have huge ramifications. For instance, clan to clan interactions would have a whole new element of unpredictability.

Imagine you spot an individual in the distance. You approach with the intention to commit hostilities. You then realise the person is in a clan. Without a player list you can't instantly know how many people from that clan are online, making any hostile intentions a much larger gamble to perpetrate. As such, it would bring a lot more caution to most interactions.

It also eliminates a source of metagaming that is second nature to most players.

Furthermore, in the past the dayzmod has disabled the old player information menu (i). So I don't see why the player list (p) couldn't be disabled as well. I am probably grossly ignorant though.

Finally, this isn't a discussion about whether or not players look at the player list and whether or not it is metagaming. It can't be policed and happens regularly, whether you do it is irrelevant. It happens.

TL;DR - Remove the playerlist; it sucks.

+1 I would love this.

Then I also think you need to remove the names in the lobby, to something like "player1" etc.

Agreed but is there any way to prevent people from going to the lobby to check it either?

Do the logs show people logging out to the lobby?

Muntz    3

but..but..how will I now check if there's any hawt gurls online? :(

Ask me. I always know if there are hawtties online.

That sounds like something I would like! Player list is metagaming at it's best :P

Yes

Then we have a way to see if people are logging out to check the names in the lobby.

Tamaster92    14

Discussing currently. No promises obviously

Muntz    3

Agreed but is there any way to prevent people from going to the lobby to check it either?

Even if you can view in the lobby, it adds difficulty and will at least reduce the amount of metagaming. You can't exactly do a quick log to the lobby when you just meet someone. Of course, bigger groups could have someone do it but it is a start.

Even if you can view in the lobby, it adds difficulty and reduce the amount of metagaming. You can't exactly do a quick log to the lobby when you just meet someone. Of course, bigger groups could have someone do it but it is a start.

Aye but the logs can track it so if it is obvious then it can be viewed as a form of metagaming.

Even if you can view in the lobby, it adds difficulty and reduce the amount of metagaming. You can't exactly do a quick log to the lobby when you just meet someone. Of course, bigger groups could have someone do it but it is a start.

Aye but the logs can track it so if it is obvious then it can be viewed as a form of metagaming.

Yes, but some people might be glitched and therefore they will have to relog.

Going to the lobby when you meet someone is essentially combat logging. Or well, "combat"... Logging out when you aren't supposed to is punishable.

Not everyone that goes to the lobby gets banned for metagaming. Only in a certain context.

Not everyone that goes to the lobby gets banned for metagaming. Only in a certain context.

This.

Aye, but certainly a way to see if someone does log out nearby you once they get your identity. They can track it at least.

Maybe somehow remove the lobby? Or the names.

Bryan    0

Do it!

Tamaster92    14

Maybe somehow remove the lobby? Or the names.

now that is impossible :)

Sin    114

Going to the lobby when you meet someone is essentially combat logging. Or well, "combat"... Logging out when you aren't supposed to is punishable.

People 'suicide' for a better spawn all the time. The logs make it fairly obvious, and yet no one ever gets banned for that. Tracking people who log to look at the character list would be orders of magnitude more difficult to track and prove. Oh, and also there's plenty of people who log to 'recharge' their magazines.