Server time: 2017-08-23, 17:27

Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Role-Player Recommendations

Mace    10

I actually started doing this in the Top 10 Clans/Role-Players thread but since it really isn't meant for that I want to start something here that I hope a lot of people will find interesting and helpful: Recommendations on people to look out for and who you think deserves a bit of recognition for their role-playing ability.

Have you found someone by chance, either at a local hotspot of the week or just out exploring who knocked your socks off with their role-play? Was it the way they used text that painted a vivid image of actions, or the emotion and effort going into their voice acting in character that made you go "Wow, I really want to RP with this person again."?

Well now you can give recommendations to other people, get some names who may not be in big clans a chance to get some recognition among the more well-known people. One of the big parts of the server is that we're always getting new players, and especially if you find someone who is relatively fresh but seems to be a great role-player, then by all means let us know so we can hunt them down and enjoy them just as much as you did.

There is no set criteria or form that you need to fill out, but I would like for there to be something more than "X is awesome!" or "I love Y, he's always good." Give us a reason why this person is worthy of a recommendation and what specifically they do that makes you want to be a better role-player around them.

It's time that the server started getting a kick in the pants for better RP, and I want to try to spearhead that movement by showcasing those who are doing it right and using them as examples to people who need help.

The first reply I make will be my first batch of recommendations to maybe give people an example, I want to keep this short and sweet so people understand the purpose of this thread and can start getting some names out there for the recognition they deserve.

Here we go with the first recommendations:

Vincent V. Lee- This guy is awesome. Mostly a voice role-player, he does use text for actions and he plays a character that is very flawed and vulnerable at times. I won't go into the deeper machinations of the character because I feel they are best left found out by other players when Vincent feels appropriate, but there is a level of vulnerability that not a lot of people are able to really express ICly. Vincent is not a badass, not a brilliant mind, and not really a caricature, but he comes across as memorable, and the shortcomings he imposes on himself for RP present only more opportunities to have some fantastic IC interaction with him and others.

Eretharn "Doc"- Another flawed character like Vincent, who is another example of how those who survive the apocalypse are not always the strongest or most "badass" in a situation. Eretharn is a doctor, and self-deprecating to a fault. His character is beset with hardships whenever he attempts something, and this leads to a feeling of worthlessness that resonates within the character. Again, mostly a voice player, the emotion that he is able to bring out in his own disappointment in himself is amazing and really makes you feel for him.

Uni Alzaka- The final member of the trio of people who I think play very good yet-to-be-fully-acclimated characters. Uni is well-spoken, and can go from voice to text with little problem. Some of his spelling suffers, but honestly he gets the point across and that is enough for me, I try not to be picky. The experiences that I've had with him have shown him as someone who values his life, and someone who worries about his own mortality in a way that very few others do. He seems to come across with a genuine fear of dying, which is something almost absent from a lot of characters (My own included for a few reasons). Uni is yet another person who is capable of great emotion through voice, and when he uses text that comes through to a lesser extent, but is still enough to really bring about the emotion he wants to convey.

I will be making more recommendations and go over the old ones I had so I can move them into other replies here. Look out for them if you find this idea interesting.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

Mace:

If you desire a great roleplayer, who takes his shit seriously - I recommend Mace.

When I first met him at Prud I was blown away at how he makes such simple tasks turn into a detailed description of his characters actions.

He always has a way of keeping the ball rolling in the way of a conversation - a trait that I love.

There is not to much I can add, you will need to experience himself to understand.

All I can say, is that he his raised the bar for all the future text role players I come across.

He also taught me a thing or two with the way of cards.

PS. Thanks for the kind words, i'v been looking to improve such areas.

Ghost    8

Stags, papa and sweetjoe these guys are amazing at role play and I feel honoured to be in the same clan :P

Noob <3

Siorre have role played with him a few times and it was amazing

They are all the people I can think of at the moment

eretharn    0

Mace:

The extraordinary interaction and attention to detail he brings in his text role play never ceases to amaze me. So much that I even tried myself to switch to text RP for a time. The fact that I'm not native English makes me take more time writing and that broke the inmersion at times. Also the fact that by typing my own text sometimes I missed important role play text from others. Mace became my go-to person for my troubled character and the only one at present he kindda trust in some way.

Jack bandit:

Amazing role player able to bring the best of a kind character and the worst of a bounty hunter, I will remember our last encounter at berezino hospital when I was caught in the middle of an interrogation he and his friends carried out on a SVR member leading to his execution. I remember how he tried to explain to me that unfortunately that was his job, realizing that my opinion of him as a hero had fallen from grace. We role played our difficult goodbye as a broken trust between us and I asked him to leave me alone. What he did.

I haven't seen him since.

Mace:

Haven't played too much with you, Mace, but your text role-play is brilliant. I remember being in the red shed at Stary with you and a few others, and whilst everyone was standing around not doing a lot - You kept running out and looking for supplies for the group, finding Vincent a better Mosin and taking down zombies with your crossbow.

You've helped me become a better role-player and use text a lot more to describe emotions, actions. And also i loved how when it was time for you to log off, you wrote out how you were running low on your Morphine supply and thought it was best to take a nap so you wouldn't be cranky.

It's the little things, that makes me feel way more immersed in the role-play and the apocalypse world.

Characters like yourself, Vincent, SweetJoe and many other people that i have come across have made me believe that you are real characters, with flaws like anyone else. Instead of seeing these generic spetzsnaz uber special forces soldiers that have no fear or sense of self.

It also makes me IC and OOC miss you guys a lot when i haven't seen certain people in a while. I wonder how you're doing, and if you're surviving. I don't think twice about other characters who don't bring a soul to the person they're portraying.

Mace    10

Thanks for the recommendations guys, let's focus on some other people who need their names out there. I'm going to focus on the Watchers in this post, because a lot of them have such good RP that it deserves to really be set apart and given a few accolades.

Sophia Atwood- I have to start with Sophia because she was the first Watcher I met (Excluding The Professor before he was in them), and I spent a great deal of time with her at the Outpost, just by ourselves role-playing and getting to know one another. She is generally a voice role-player and she has a lot of knowledge about medicine OOCly which works well for her role as a doctor and medic in game. Generally, from what I've seen, she acts as the lynchpin of the Watchers and the one who makes sure that people don't go getting too far out of control, and with other people she always has the kind, almost motherly role going on where she takes care of them. A great addition to any RP group.

Dr. Arcarius "Arc" Rilo- Soft-spoken, Arc is a voice role-player who generally tends to be a bit of a loner ICly. This can cause a few problems with role-play but when he does come out of his shell, or whenever his introverted sessions are over and he becomes more outspoken and personable to those who may not know him well, he is a lot of fun. Charitable (Considering most of his vehicles are known as "The Charity _______") and another doctor who seems to have a lot of knowledge about what he is doing, and what needs to be done to people, he serves as a good backdrop character. If you can get him to come out and start talking freely though, he is easily someone who can lead a scene. Great guy.

Joe "Sweet Joe" Kalista- What is there to say about Sweet Joe that most people don't already know? Primary a voice role-player who dabbles into a good bit of text when the need arises, Joe isn't quite comic relief, but adds a sense of levity to scenes where it is needed. Calm, cool, collected, his smooth voice is quick to help calm risen tempers in scenes. He isn't above lighting a spliff and toking up, and can offer some rather insightful thoughts while baked ICly. I'd also like to add that he seems to be quite the ladies man. So if you're out there and you want to try to find a good playboy to run off with, Joe's probably your man.

Tom "Cochise" Smith- I've actually really enjoyed the time I've spent with Tom. He's a voice role-player who I haven't seen do a lot of text RP. The thing about Tom is though that he has a very interesting character. He has a lot of anger that kind of roils beneath the surface of someone who does his best to remain calm and collected. There are small cracks that are seen now and then, bits of him he may not want other people to see if he values them as a friend. One of the things I like most about him is the kind of struggle that is internalized and how you can see him trying to pick and choose his words when he wants to share. He doesn't want people to see too much of that darkness he's trying to hide. It's really good.

Clinton "Papa" Jackson- I knew the player back when he played the Professor, Clinton's son, and I always loved the way he role-played. The Professor, with schizophrenia or disassociative identity disorder, had a second personality and it was played very well. Clinton keeps this kind of role-play alive with the gruff old man character that you see in most games and movies. He's the veteran, the old badass who doesn't have all the military training or high tech gadgetry, it all comes from the kind of rugged lifestyle of a man from another generation. He may not be everyone's cup of tea as he comes off as gruff and abrasive, but the skill with which it's done, considering the player behind the character is jolly and happy to talk to anyone, shows a level of skill in his role-playing.

More to come.

Voodoo    371

Stags, papa and sweetjoe these guys are amazing at role play and I feel honoured to be in the same clan :P

Noob <3

I see you left the old crew out..

We know when were not wanted we will just go take our 501st ways in another direction..

tumblr_mlv2qweh2r1rpkmfao1_500.gif

Ghost    8

Noob <3

I see you left the old crew out..

We know when were not wanted we will just go take our 501st ways in another direction..

tumblr_mlv2qweh2r1rpkmfao1_500.gif

Our role play was ok but it wasn't the best!!

Voodoo    371

Our role play was ok but it wasn't the best!!

True I guess that's why wee all gone separate ways to improve :P

Recommendations:

Frisa (Rynder) - Always a good laugh will put in effort to include everyone in RP

Stagsview - Ive been enjoying his RP especially when tripping on brian meds

Dr Brown - Always been fun when RP'n with him at pobeda and Prud

DarkStyle    29

Stags-His roleplay is just awesome.Everytime i meet him IG i enjoy the roleplay

NoobHunterAnzy-My former leader.He teached me more how to roleplay.

And for final *trums*.Zhunk-His chars are always awesome(i love Nine-Toes).When he robs you then you can except for some awesome roleplay.

Matt    21

Heres my recommendations.

Mace- You are a very interesting character and i think others should meet you more ingame.

Siorre- Your multiple personality's are just excellent something what cant be missed.

Jack Bandit- You always think of something fun and i think everyone needs to meet you.

Thanks Matt and Ghost for that :)

Dr. Matt Brown- He is always fun to be around and don't get into trouble or he will slap you!

501st- you guys always gave me a fun time while I was at Altar, don't say your guy's RP was the greatest, there was barely any RP at Altar when the Bandits kept attacking, you guys have amazing RP!

TWS- The way they RP is amazing, my favorites are Joe, Sophia, Papa, and Sako. They are always fun to be around :)

CRA- This clan I am in have some people I have known since forever. The way we RP executions of the people who bring harm to this land is awesome :) I can't wait for another execution time :)

Mace- I love the way you text RP, you always know how to liven up the mood at TOR and Prud, thank you :)

More to come

Ok here are my recommendation:

Karl Pine-I would say why but it needs to be a surprise for others because this kid is a real treat to rp with

Siorre-If you are looking for excitement and a firefight this is the guy that can help.

The entirety of The Watchers

Dr. Matt Brown is awesome saucce, looking for comedy then watch out for him lol

There are more but I will post them later

kongsbak    0

Buckly Bang was without doubt the guy i laughed most with, his roleplay was amazing, i only meet him once but wow! if you ever meets him in game, STAY with him! 99% sure he gonna make you laugh.

Staggs of course! great roleplayer, good to get emotions into it and helped lots of people improving their roleplay, would say that it is Staggs and Mick (great roleplayer aswell!) that thaugh me most of what i can right now! Thank you 2!

If i wasn't so lazy i would add way more names to this list! Sweetjoe, Papa and almost everyone in TWS that i roleplayed with! Brotherhood i only experienced once but also loved their roleplay, Tante Terra back in the new NRF version was also great!

Pyrah    1

We we're recently lucky enough to have Deadplex join our group, he is a much loved character on the server I believe and how he puts that voice on for hours on end I don't know.

Look out for Kyle "Animal" but beware you might lose a finger (he bites).

Ironicman    7

Dr. Matt Brown: The little crazy doctor who always is positive in the most stressfull and terrible situation where he doesnt break charrachter and keeps the realistic Humor up from the crazy of the land :D

Matt    21

Dr. Matt Brown: The little crazy doctor who always is positive in the most stressfull and terrible situation where he doesnt break charrachter and keeps the realistic Humor up from the crazy of the land :D

:D Luv ya to rynder!

I again want to commend Felix (MuntZ) for his brilliant roleplay. He has the talent to make any situation extremely awkward. I'm not that great at improvising and sometimes I just didn't know what to respond when I was talking to him, and I think that's a good thing. At the very least it improved my own roleplay.

He comments on literally everything you say, and I had a lot of trouble holding my laughter. Some might consider him a "unserious" character and although I'd definitely class it under "satire", he pulls off such a convincing unworldly local that for me it beats a lot of the blander "serious" characters.

Bottom line: he challenges not only his own roleplay, but also yours. So if you want to be challenged, go roleplay with him. His improvisation is amazing.

Carib-

Well most of you know Carib for his amazing story Chernarus 20 years later and his also equally amazing text chat and I would have to say that he is one of the best member's of the community I have seen in a while and has one of the most compelling stories that always leaves me wanting more and more so this is for you Carib!

Stagsview    589

I am going to try and be not tooting our own horn here and recommened people who I have experienced to be incredibly detailed RP:

Richard "unknown" Rose: A guy who I have only met this week but grown to love every bit of his RP. He is amazing and detailed.... Sure not to everyones taste but one of upcoming great rpers i have met.

Victor cruz and bobby rice: I finally had the honnor a few days ago to meet you guys. I was not disappointed in the slightest. These people care for the story and try and break the limits fo RP.. Doing contraversial stuff for it. Amazing somes it up. Victor for the spanish RP we had and Rice for his pyschopathic character I love you both IC and OOC and they deserve more credit where due.

Christopher thornbelt: A upcoming star at prud with his interest RP storyline and the way he can RP it out... Great job m8 keep up the good work and the really good accents.

I did not say the others due that tbey have been told before... They too are amazing rpers but i wanted to bring up the more underground rpers here and give them great where due.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

Mick Thompson - Has the ability to turn his seriousness off and on at the perfect time, making him an excellent PVPer when the time comes but can immediately switch back to his amazing and skilful RP. Never forget when we first met <3

Deadplex - Animal buddy, we hardly get to see each other now but by FAR you are the best role player this community can offer. That voice combined with the personality of your character is truly magnificent. Always get a fuzzy feeling when you get excited to see me :P 'Is that Amir? AAAAAAMMMMMMIIIRRRRRR!!!!!'

Doctor Sophia Atwood - Does the best medical RP I have ever seen, I have seen ALOT of doctors come and go but the way she takes her time to give a simple blood bag and is always so generous with her skills. Definitely deserves more recognition in the community.

Papa - Our first encounter was entirely not what I expected it to be but it was still brilliant. I love how you RP a run down man, not a super soldier and not someone that is so cocky. You remind me of one of those "Seen it all" people. Shame our leadership duties have kept us from RPing as often.

New World Order - A lot of respect for these guys. Although we haven't had all that much RP our first negotiations really did impress me. I love how your clan is structured, you also seem to be one of the few clans that can balance excellent RP with just as good PVP.

A lot more people/groups but its late and my brain doesn't feel like functioning.

Muntz    3

I again want to commend Felix (MuntZ) for his brilliant roleplay. He has the talent to make any situation extremely awkward. I'm not that great at improvising and sometimes I just didn't know what to respond when I was talking to him, and I think that's a good thing. At the very least it improved my own roleplay.

He comments on literally everything you say, and I had a lot of trouble holding my laughter. Some might consider him a "unserious" character and although I'd definitely class it under "satire", he pulls off such a convincing unworldly local that for me it beats a lot of the blander "serious" characters.

Bottom line: he challenges not only his own roleplay, but also yours. So if you want to be challenged, go roleplay with him. His improvisation is amazing.

I really appreciate this Gijs. Honestly, it means a lot. To be fair, you are extremely easy to bounce off. If you were struggling to come up with things to say, it didn't show. Good roleplay needs more than one good roleplayer. Your character feels natural, layered and well thought out. So my commendation goes to you Gijs.

I really appreciate this Gijs. Honestly, it means a lot. To be fair, you are extremely easy to bounce off. If you were struggling to come up with things to say, it didn't show. Good roleplay needs more than one good roleplayer. Your character feels natural, layered and well thought out. So my commendation goes to you Gijs.

Perhaps I worded it wrong. I have thought a lot about my character('s history) which makes it easy to refer to things and have stuff to say, but nonetheless sometimes you forced me to improvise, which was difficult but ultimately pleasing because the conversations we had felt all the more natural because of it.

Also, I forgot to mention that it feels there's more to your character than he shows. Gives him a certain depth, and you are good and subtlety showing more of yourself.

TrilbyAsh    6

Well. I'll just say these two chappies who over my time here have really caught my eye. (I'd mention Mace, but everyone seems to be saying him. xD)

Firstly: Frayzies. He's a brilliant chap who led to the creation of so many player nicknames, and has given me lots of funny stories to talk about. Hell, he even led to my new character taking a wildly different course to what I had planned for him. Had the idea he'd be some brusque guy who "Knows it all", and then promptly ends up getting hurt every now and then and tries to pass it off as a lucky shot from a Walker. What I got instead, was a silent and serious chap who killed anything that groaned, snarled, or wanted to "chomp my giblets" with a clean efficiency. Wasn't my choosing for the silent part really. I met Frayzies, who was playing Marty at the time, and I just couldn't stop laughing to myself with everything he came out with. Eventually, people picked up on my silence, since I couldn't say a word for laughter, and people believed that that was how my character was supposed to be. Then Frayzies tagged on the name "Beret", and thus, my personal favourite character was born. xD

Secondly. Lue, or Whiskey Pete to some. I never met the chap personally, but I've extensively watched videos of all his exploits. From the rambling hobo with tons of stories, to the lead singer of Screamin' Fetus. Everything you did was flawless, chap. You generated fun and randomness wherever you went, and always came out of it with (nearly) everyone smiling.

Mick Thompson - Has the ability to turn his seriousness off and on at the perfect time, making him an excellent PVPer when the time comes but can immediately switch back to his amazing and skilful RP. Never forget when we first met <3

Deadplex - Animal buddy, we hardly get to see each other now but by FAR you are the best role player this community can offer. That voice combined with the personality of your character is truly magnificent. Always get a fuzzy feeling when you get excited to see me :P 'Is that Amir? AAAAAAMMMMMMIIIRRRRRR!!!!!'

Doctor Sophia Atwood - Does the best medical RP I have ever seen, I have seen ALOT of doctors come and go but the way she takes her time to give a simple blood bag and is always so generous with her skills. Definitely deserves more recognition in the community.

Papa - Our first encounter was entirely not what I expected it to be but it was still brilliant. I love how you RP a run down man, not a super soldier and not someone that is so cocky. You remind me of one of those "Seen it all" people. Shame our leadership duties have kept us from RPing as often.

New World Order - A lot of respect for these guys. Although we haven't had all that much RP our first negotiations really did impress me. I love how your clan is structured, you also seem to be one of the few clans that can balance excellent RP with just as good PVP.

A lot more people/groups but its late and my brain doesn't feel like functioning.

Thanks man I really appreciate that! I miss our rp sessions at the outpost and I still remember that injection you gave me. By far one of the best roleplays I have met on the server