Server time: 2017-10-20, 16:19
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  

Recording Software

Hey guys! Any good recording software i can use for reporting purposes because i don't want to torrent anything and risk getting a virus as i have jut gotten my new OS and am operating on a clean slate now. Are they any free versions that will act accordingly and effectively? Tired of having no proof of something happening :D

edit:yay 100 posts

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

Well, I don't record personally myself, as it destroys my FPS to the point were it is unplayable but I know what is decent and what is not, a good person to answer this would be BigLittleShorts, as he is the director of the year. :)

But here is a list:

ShadowPlay: http://www.geforce.co.uk/geforce-experience/shadowplay

Fraps: http://www.fraps.com/

Dxtory: http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html

Camtasia 8: http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html?gclid=CNue1t3HhbwCFdLItAodXmcApQ

These are all the official product website, I can't share how to get them for free, but I'm sure it's not to hard to find.

Thank you for that mag! I see you on almost all of my threads now :D

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

The best recording software, that I have had a good experience with would be dxtory.

To also add on from what I and others have stated, you might want to check out this thread. It is very informative and gives you a good idea of what these products are.

Guys just to reiterate i am short on cash, just need something i can record for a few minutes or so at a time but it has to be free

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

Guys just to reiterate i am short on cash, just need something i can record for a few minutes or so at a time but it has to be free

For alot of these listed products, you are able to get free versions.

The free versions might be slightly limited in contrast to the full version - but by the looks of what you are wanting it for, it should do the job.

Awesome! I appreciate all the feedback guys as i will be getting back on the servers soon.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

I would highly recommend OBS over any of the previously mentioned softwares. It's free, uses exactly the same Codecs (which are also free), has no limitations, is more lightweight, flexible and requires less processing power.

Here's a quick start guide to get you on the right path to making good quality recordings. http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2972

Mazerxce    0

http://obsproject.com/

This is a broadcasting software but it can do video recording too.

Good luck!

Have you had experience with this software yourself? I wanna know if you know about any limitations it has...

Mazer i have actually used it for livestreaming League of Legends but had no idea it could record locally, has no limits as far as recording goes

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

http://obsproject.com/

This is a broadcasting software but it can do video recording too.

Good luck!

Have you had experience with this software yourself? I wanna know if you know about any limitations it has...

Yes, I do! I use it for streaming and recording on DayZRP now, where I used DXtory before. Dxtory gives me a nice 55fps ingame, dropped from 60 when not recording, and then while recording it goes down to about 45fps when recording, and 30fps while streaming and locally recording at the same time. OBS gives me about a 5fps drop across the board, even while streaming.

This software does everything that Dxtory does better, except it lacks the option to output to multiple displays.

Mazer i have actually used it for livestreaming League of Legends but had no idea it could record locally, has no limits as far as recording goes

I forgot to mention that the settings guide I posted didn't say how to set the recording folder and local save mode.

Under "Broadcast Settings" set the mode to "File Output Only", the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Guest MonkeyMadness   
Guest MonkeyMadness

Anyone had any experience with shadow play?

If you have an Nvidia Graphics card (series 600 or 700) then Shadowplay is a no brainer for free in my opinion although I am tempted to try out OBS myself now on magw33d's recommendation.

Shadowplay for me has no impact on FPS whatsoever and has a very neat option that allows you to save your previous 20 minutes of gameplay without actively recording for that time. So say you were KoS'd, you can press a button and get your previous 20 minutes of play to use for a report. The quality on the highest settings is very good, not quite up to Dxtory quality but the file size is about 10 times smaller.

EDIT: The audio settings on Shadowplay aren't as fully featured as they need to be at the moment but for basic usage, Shadowplay is easy to set up and the best for performance.

Guest MonkeyMadness   
Guest MonkeyMadness

Cheers mate will defently test this today

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

If you have an Nvidia Graphics card (series 600 or 700) then Shadowplay is a no brainer for free in my opinion although I am tempted to try out OBS myself now on magw33d's recommendation.

Shadowplay for me has no impact on FPS whatsoever and has a very neat option that allows you to save your previous 20 minutes of gameplay without actively recording for that time. So say you were KoS'd, you can press a button and get your previous 20 minutes of play to use for a report. The quality on the highest settings is very good, not quite up to Dxtory quality but the file size is about 10 times smaller.

EDIT: The audio settings on Shadowplay aren't as fully featured as they need to be at the moment but for basic usage, Shadowplay is easy to set up and the best for performance.

Expect similar results since we have almost identical computers :D

ZoCr    0

Lies...with fraps I get ~10-15 fps drop, but with Shadowplay on a gtx 760 i get a 20-30 fps drop

Jamesy    0

Lies...with fraps I get ~10-15 fps drop, but with Shadowplay on a gtx 760 i get a 20-30 fps drop

I find Shadowplay the best.

Although I tend not to use it that much. Where I'm so used to Fraps and know what I'm doing with it, not that it's hard anyway, I still prefer it. But, yes you do get terrible FPS drop with Fraps.

ZoCr    0

I find Shadowplay the best.

Although I tend not to use it that much. Where I'm so used to Fraps and know what I'm doing with it, not that it's hard anyway, I still prefer it. But, yes you do get terrible FPS drop with Fraps.

Don't get me wrong, i love the idea of shadow recording and such, but in its beta state theres bound to be bugs

Luinky    0

Anyone had any experience with shadow play?

I have and its pretty impressive. althogh it seems to have some issues with arma2 atm, but that also could be my configuration being rettarded or the fact that i need to format my pc.

From my experience and those of many others who have Shadowplay and use it often it seems like yours is quite an isolated case. I have a 660ti, tried all recording software and fraps has by far impacted my fps the most.

Shadowplay barely impacts performance at all for me, especially when using the shadow function. OP it's best for you to just try them out for yourself and see which is best for your computer because everyone else will have varied experiences on their own machines.

Luinky    0

From my experience and those of many others who have Shadowplay and use it often it seems like yours is quite an isolated case. I have a 660ti, tried all recording software and fraps has by far impacted my fps the most.

Shadowplay barely impacts performance at all for me, especially when using the shadow function. OP it's best for you to just try them out for yourself and see which is best for your computer because everyone else will have varied experiences on their own machines.

Mine works perfectly except sometimes around the shores of chernarus on epoch and in cities like cherno and elektro.

Whitefur    4

I remember the day you tried it out...

At the start you were all like "Now we don't have to record our robberies seperately and will always have evidence for reports!" and ten minutes in "My game is really laggy right now" and it took you ten more minutes to figure it out... Ah good times...