Server time: 2017-08-23, 17:44

Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Morgan Riggs

RPRP - RP Restoration Project

Disclaimer

This is not the right thread if you are looking for debate however the server "is going downhill" or any other related topics.

I advice you to keep that to yourself. This is purely made for the purpose of improving and giving role play hints.

Role Play Restoration Project

A beginners guide through Chernarus

You're sitting in a chair in what used to be a Chernarussian school class room. There is more people around, all waiting for someone to arrive. Right when you were about to craft a paper plane you hear the door slam and you see someone entering the class room.

- "Greetings gentlemen. My name.. is Morgan Riggs."

*A silence sweeps through the class room, and you hear someone whisper*

- "Who the fuck is that guy?"

*Morgan notices the whisper and continues*

- "I am the commander and the founder of the Raven Shield Corporation, and today, we are going to share ideas and experience with each other. Topic of today. Role play. What makes you.. or me a good role player? Is it the way we describe our feelings, surroundings, memories? Or perhaps how well we execute a robbery? What about language, does that have any importance? I'd say yes, and not at all."

*The silence still lays within the class room, and suddenly*

- "This guy SUCK!"

*Morgan quickly pulls up his Torus Raging bull from his holster. Within the matter of a second he fires a shot right between the eyes of the person yelling, and Morgan again starts to speak*

- "That's not good role play! Alright, where were we... Oh yes! Good role play, let's start sharing some ideas and experience, I'll go first"

Thumb rule: Always compliment the person you are role playing with on the forum or any out of character way to show that you enjoyed the role play you had together, it is a very important thing both for you and for the person you met.

In character

• Look at your surroundings, use the different elements around you to start a meaningful discussion or conversation.
  • Converse about recent changes in Chernarus or possible events from in character role play knowledge.
  • Introduce yourself, don't be afraid, make new friends.. or enemies
  • Deliver your message with body talk, use your body to point, look around, basically, make gestures while having a conversation. Make your character become alive.
  • Don't just rob someone, take them somewhere creepy, R.S.M style, torture them, explain why you are doing this(in riddles, oh yes, riddles, I like that). Drive them out to an old industrial area, barn, graveyard, etc. (Of course, remember to give them a decent chance of getting back on to their journey once you're done)
  • Don't be afraid of stopping your car to pick up a stranger, you might just save a life and get yourself a new friend. Or maybe stop the car, role play, rob and drive off? The important thing is, unless it seems to be hostile, take the chance.

Out of character

• Don't let past conflicts between clans or players ruin your time in Chernarus. Good example is R.S.M and BHM. For long we fought eachother, a lot of hate layed betwween us, but later, that hate became love and while we still fight eachother in game, we are now making excellent role play together due to our past conflicts
  • When sending a declaration of war or any other type of message on the forum, something that we use to do was sending a letter with a raven marked on it, and then qouted text as the message within. This is what it looked like http://s22.postimg.org/s4n4yln35/rsmenvelope.jpg Example: *On the back side of the envelope a text reads.
    - "To Dr.Klein, DUTY."*
  • Keep a notebook next to your keyboard, write things down about yourself and people you meet while you are traveling. This is an excellent way of keeping track of details and people you met.

Notes from the community

-When people die you have to remember suddenly all the things you did with him IC that will give you an OOC illusion of missing him wich you can use IC to express your saddness for his death.

It helps to have something help define your character.

A flaw, a favorite food or something similar. It gives other players something to latch on to and remember you for.

- when conversing with others bring up the past.. Mention a previous occupation or something you miss. It makes your character seem less like some super soldier built for the apocalypse. Mention a previous occupation or something you miss.

Updating this thread while posts are rolling in <3

Ego    1

//Dayum this is a good guide ! I'll see about getting it pinned in guided/tutorials

Sweet, good job once again Riggs.

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

People should give their characters limitations and flaws!

Ironicman    7

-When people die you have to remember suddenly all the things you did with him IC that will give you an OOC illusion of missing him wich you can use IC to express your saddness for his death.

PCJames    167

This was awesome!

When sending a declaration of war or any other type of message on the forum, something that we use to do was sending a letter with a raven marked on it, and then qouted text as the message within. This is what it looked like http://s22.postimg.org/s4n4yln35/rsmenvelope.jpg Example: *On the back side of the envelope a text reads.

- "To Dr.Klein, DUTY."*

Here are some old videos of some role play we use to do. Looking for some more videos regarding fingers, Major Tom, Bryan Mills, do you have something?

Finger being cut (Go to 21 minutes 50 seconds)

[video=youtube]

Some videos of Psi trying to get out of trouble, slippery as a eel as usual :P

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

Tamaster92    14

A flaw, a favorite food or something similar. It gives other players something to latch on to and remember you for.

Good idea, overall, keep a notepad next to your keyboard and write some notes about your character and people you meet, great way to remember things

Toorrik    4

[*]When sending a declaration of war or any other type of message on the forum, something that we use to do was sending a letter with a raven marked on it, and then qouted text as the message within. This is what it looked like http://s22.postimg.org/s4n4yln35/rsmenvelope.jpg Example: *On the back side of the envelope a text reads.

- "To Dr.Klein, DUTY."*

I cannot stress this point enough. When RP'ing that you are sending a radio transmission/letter, say who it is from. Otherwise my first reply will be "Who the F*** is this?"

[*]When sending a declaration of war or any other type of message on the forum, something that we use to do was sending a letter with a raven marked on it, and then qouted text as the message within. This is what it looked like http://s22.postimg.org/s4n4yln35/rsmenvelope.jpg Example: *On the back side of the envelope a text reads.

- "To Dr.Klein, DUTY."*

I cannot stress this point enough. When RP'ing that you are sending a radio transmission/letter, say who it is from. Otherwise my first reply will be "Who the F*** is this?"

Unless of course your intent is to actually keep it anonymous

- "To Dr.Klein, DUTY."*

It was pretty easy to understand it was from us, cause of the stamp saying RSM

but yeah, logos, text over from who sent it

Texas532    0

- when conversing with others bring up the past.. Mention a previous occupation or something you miss. It makes your character seem less like some super soldier built for the apocalypse. Mention a previous occupation or something you miss.

Reptile449    0

- "To Dr.Klein, DUTY."*

It was pretty easy to understand it was from us, cause of the stamp saying RSM

but yeah, logos, text over from who sent it

Toorrik is saying that the way you did it is the way everyone should do it because it tells him IC who is sending the letter.

That RP story, Morgan as a teacher ?

j7fiJKO.png

GingerHippo    4

Nice Guide. Was waiting for one of these so that new comers can know how to make a good RP situation without just sitting being quiet and actually getting involved.

PhishTV    0

When sending a declaration of war or any other type of message on the forum, something that we use to do was sending a letter with a raven marked on it, and then qouted text as the message within. This is what it looked like http://s22.postimg.org/s4n4yln35/rsmenvelope.jpg Example: *On the back side of the envelope a text reads.

- "To Dr.Klein, DUTY."*

Here are some old videos of some role play we use to do. Looking for some more videos regarding fingers, Major Tom, Bryan Mills, do you have something?

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

I remember when Bryan cut off some fingers. GT!

Sir Doctor    3

Some great advice here!

It's a little early in the morning for me right now so when I think of something to add I'll edit this post. <3

Really helpful guide Morgan. Hopefully people will take some of the things you said into consideration and apply that to their game-play.

Bryan    0

- "To Dr.Klein, DUTY."*

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

I remember when Bryan cut off some fingers. GT!

Good old.. No wait.. I would neeever do something like that.. :D

Great guide, this will definitely help out new RP players such as myself.

Mace    10

I'll just leave this here. Always good to see people trying to improve their own role-play and help others do the same.

EDIT: On a recent discussion on the SDS page I offered some alternatives to the usual kidnapping and hostage/torture situations. Those are all well and good, but honestly you need a certain kind of person to be able to properly pull them off who isn't going to have their stomach turned, and a lot of people think that "interrogation" is another word for "breaking someone's kneecaps" which couldn't be further from the truth.

Interrogation involves getting information from someone, but the thing that matters is that the information is accurate and when you're beating someone to a bloody pulp, most people who aren't trying to play the super badass soldier are going to say whatever they think you want to hear just to make the beating stop. You'll get someone who mindlessly nods their head along with whatever you say, and the information they have isn't going to be reliable most of the time.

The way to fix this is to interrogate people like the police and military do and, instead of focusing on the physical body, work on breaking down the subject's mind. Separation from friends and allies can easily begin to unsettle someone, but what hurts more is to let them know a fraction of what you know about them, about their lives, about their people, and assure them that everything that they love, every bit of peace that they still have in the hellhole of a world is going to be ripped away from them if they don't cooperate.

This is where the real badasses come into play, in my mind. You need someone who can keep calm and collected, who can speak evenly or convey through text a sense of confidence and knowledge with everything that could possibly go wrong. If you intend to keep the person for several hours ICly, you could even say that their friends have tried to come for them and were driven off after a short bit of gunfire in the distance. That they no longer see that person as a valuable asset and aren't willing to risk their lives to get to him or her.

You take away everything that they have built up to keep them stable, and you can make them flip on the people they were otherwise loyal to, and get far more accurate information, and more copious amounts of information, with vengeance or resignation as the fuel.

When it comes to things other than interrogation, who says you have to simply kidnap them? One of the things I pointed out in the SDS thread, and that I think could make a very interesting storyline, is trying to dehumanize and punish those who are captured. Holding water buckets at arm's length to strain their muscles until they fail, making them stand on a box of empty whiskey bottles while doing so to give them no way to properly distribute their weight, and enforce punishments if they fall.

No longer refer to them as a "he" or "she" but as an it. If you have spare civilian clothing, dress them like a zombie, gag them with a belt so that they can only grumble and groan like the undead and take away everything that makes them even remotely human. This is more about breaking the will of the character and, with proper OOC permissions, even having them stay with your group until a rescue is planned or until they are completely broken.

Robberies should never be initiated without an RP reason, in my mind. If your group is in need of supplies, say you are running low on food or medical supplies, and you see a group of people in a large vehicle, it stands to reason they may have what you want, and you can take what they have to try to better supply yourself. If you see someone running with a better weapon than your rusted, jamming rifle, then you can arm yourself. But one thing you should always ask is "Why does it need to come to this?" What is your character's motivation for this robbery, or robbery in general?

We have prisoners here who can make fairly good and deep back stories about being treated like animals long before the apocalypse. They were dehumanized in different ways and made to be nothing more than a suit, a number, a bed check. They harbor the kind of hatred that would make them want to hurt others, yes, but that is still only a minority of those who do so. Not every prisoner is Charles Manson, and not every soldier is Rambo.

I'll make more posts if I think of other things.

Guest neom   
Guest neom

Wise words from a great man