Server time: 2017-10-19, 05:34
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Guest camo1243

DayZRP going downhill. Let's admit this problem and go from there.

Guest camo1243   
Guest camo1243

As the title suggests, I am pointing out that DayZRP IS in fact going downhill, and no one on the forums wants to admit it. I have been waiting for someone on the forums to say this to no avail.

DayZRP was a thriving community just over a month ago which you couldn't even get on the server without spamming the join button.

Server 1 and 2 had Desal plant, and Altar Castle, with active clans to protect them. I could play with my clan all day, and not get a single bland moment. I honestly think that it was hands down the GREATEST game I have ever played.

I believe that Epoch was the worst thing to happen to DayZRP. It has an very bad, almost non-existant roleplay atmosphere (in my opinion), every clan has a nice car and military grade weapons, and there is no challenge besides finding guns in an armored vehicle and selling it for gold, which is repetitive. It absolutely Killed server 1, as some people that don't like Epoch also noticed that S1 was inactive, and quit, or went to "The Other Server" (please don't hit me!).

Thoughts?

I would like positive feedback on how we could move forward as a community and keep DayZRP from going downhill.

(also sorry, as this is very badly written.)

Guest The Nightmare   
Guest The Nightmare

I feel this way too. I dont want to believe it though nor do i want it to be happening.

Guest camo1243   
Guest camo1243

There's already been a few discussions about this.

Could you link to a discussion on this?

There are many things being done currently to epoch.

It was originally a test.

If you are dissatisfied with the current state of epoch I guarantee you it will be very different in due time.

Epoch has the alure of the world after a disaster feel to it I suppose, and it adds alot more function to the game with the enhanced menus and interface options like taking apart other vehicles to fix one, building things and the like.

RP though I will admit is... limited on Epoch. I've been using it for maybe a week now? and only met a few folks (one who I traveled to Stary with, great guy. a few people who popped in and out of the shop area, then the two guys who killed me.. pretty much only the first guy Rped in any way, rest were silent, few words of bang bang bang, hehe.)

Thing is though, even on RP1, RP was always limited if you weren't in clans, since there's no trust in this game anymore; KOS rule or not.

You see someone, or a few people; usual thing is you get robbed or they think you're gonna rob them; and bolt.

I went a MONTH nearly not even seeing another player on RP1 bar the occasional "What's that? a pl-and he's running into the woods screaming don't shoot me.. onward then I guess."

Reptile449    0

You might want to remove the name of a certain other server in case someone gets annoyed. Yes the server population may have gone down but there are multiple reasons for this:

- They broke the s1 dayzrp mod

- Epoch as a temporary solution to the breakage taking people away

- People away over holidays and some now doing exams

- Standalone is out

Give it a little while and the servers should go back up in population, if not just wait until SA comes out and play something else in the mean time.

Deserath    0

It was originally a test.

If you are dissatisfied with the current state of epoch I guarantee you it will be very different in due time.

Exactly, S1 is being worked on still I believe anyways?

The S1 population was higher than Epoch briefly today too, and even when Epoch was full I saw 30+ players on S1.

"The Other Server"? Please elaborate. 0.o

Kravock    1

Epoch is not the reason S1 died. It has been discussed many times what the issues where, I will state them again.

1. S1 had major desync issues and epoch was started up to give people an alternative to play while the mod was fixed. I believe if Epoch wasn't around, the community would have taken a bigger hit.

2. Standalone came out which caused a lot of people to start playing that instead.

3. Christmas and New Years drops the community number by a lot as everyone is on holidays

The mod is pretty much fixed now, so numbers will start coming back. We are going to start cleaning up skin and weapon packs so not as many resources are loaded, which will reduce lag.

Downhill? No.

Many players have migrated to the standalone for it is new. These players are far from being lost.

DayZRP was very popular because it was the biggest roleplaying community for DayZ when it was only a mod, now that the official game is out, of course players will try it.

But as soon as the standalone become more open and that private hive and whitelist are allowed, those who loves roleplay will come back here to play the standalone like we did before with DayZ mod. It's only a matter of time.

And just two days ago, it took me about 20 minutes just to get on DayZRP Epoch.

It is far from being over.

Guest camo1243   
Guest camo1243

It is only a test as of now.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Epoch doesn't help to create a decent RP atmosphere at all. They have been saying that they're working on it for a while now, and I very truly respect the work the Devs are doing, but most people don't. Many people will think the dev process is going to take too long, and leave. whether or not it's a bad thing that the kind of people are leaving is debatable, and that it improves the RP of the remaining people still on, but the lack of people has taken it's toll on DayZRP. Both servers would be full all the time, but now we can barely fill Epoch, and S1 is empty for all practical purposes.

Please don't get mad for me talking about x, but I could just play there, but I don't want to. They lack sense of community, don't have their own website, and admins spawn in stuff willy-nilly. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, but there are people who don't, and we have lost many valuable members of this community to them.

Deserath    0

Camo, seriously just go read the other discussions. It's all been discussed there's absolutely no reason to repeat everything again.

Shut down epoch for a day and will see how it goes.

Guest The Nightmare   
Guest The Nightmare

Can we please?

Guest camo1243   
Guest camo1243

Get the word out about this "experiment" first, and fix the server crashing.

Other than that I completely agree with this idea.

RoryJam    0

I think this is a great idea. It would give those who are addicted to epoch a chance to see the vast improvements on S1 and hopefully bring a greater impact and population to server 1

Deserath    0

A minority of the players are upset that a Majority prefer Epoch, now the minority is loudly voicing their opinion because they want more players on the server they prefer.

Perhaps the "minority" is sick of being shutdown and ignored..

Eg

"Epoch breaks immersion *Lists logical evidence*"

"No it doesn't you idiot its called freedom of choice man!!"......

Kind of ironic the OP seemed to be fairly neutral to the issue as well..

Either we listen to the minority, or we don't listen to the minority. I really don't see the argument you're trying to make. You think it's unfair if your arguments are ignored (perhaps they aren't - the mod is being fixed and a lot of the complaints about epoch are being worked on as well)? How is it any fairer to listen to the minority and remove epoch entirely? Because I suppose that's what you want.

And I'd say "ignored" is a strong word. I wouldn't call the countless debates we've had about this "ignored". A decision has got to be made. Some people are going to be unhappy. Have you considered it's for the best that the minority is unhappy and not the majority?

For the record; I dislike epoch in its current state as well and I also wish more people would play the normal mod.

[video=youtube]

No it doesn't perfectly fit the situation but it still applies.

Right. Thanks, Deserath. Why write something down if I can just repeat what I've already said. In fact, why repeat it myself if you can do it for me? :P

Guest camo1243   
Guest camo1243

Downhill? No.

Many players have migrated to the standalone for it is new. These players are far from being lost.

DayZRP was very popular because it was the biggest roleplaying community for DayZ when it was only a mod, now that the official game is out, of course players will try it.

But as soon as the standalone become more open and that private hive and whitelist are allowed, those who loves roleplay will come back here to play the standalone like we did before with DayZ mod. It's only a matter of time.

And just two days ago, it took me about 20 minutes just to get on DayZRP Epoch.

It is far from being over.

I believe (don't quote me on this), that we had more people playing on DayZRP in the first week when SA was in frenzy than we do now. Given there are variables, and maybe a very disproportionate amount of DayZRP players bought standalone after the SA frenzy.

Deserath    0

Right. Thanks, Deserath. Why write something down if I can just repeat what I've already said. In fact, why repeat it myself if you can do it for me? :P

:P It was a beautiful post after all.

Mace    10

Everything that I say here is obviously my opinion, and is subjective and not to be taken as the opinion of TOR or anyone else on the server:

Epoch is, to me, a shiny new toy that a lot of people are excited about because it offers something different, something that a lot of attempts were made to replicate in DayZRP with the creation of bases (Although being put into the hands of the players, for better or worse).

I damned it without trying it myself, and honestly when I did try it I had a lot of fun, but that was when I was role-playing with the people who were part of my usual little group on S1 and who I knew well enough to have enjoyable moments with while we explored the area and got accustomed to the way Epoch worked. When it came down to just working on base building after everyone had left I quickly just found it to be an unbearable slough and I wanted no part of it.

Now one also has to realize that the Epoch mod will be made more like DayZRP in the coming months if it is going to be a permanent fixture and not just something that is/was brought in to allow people to play while the base server and mod were being worked on. Prices will more than likely skyrocket, the value of things will more than likely plummet, and the availability of certain items will cease to exist to fit in more with what the staff have in mind for the setting of DayZRP. We may very well see a server/character wipe on Epoch when it is properly rebalanced to the liking of the staff which means a lot of hours of work could potentially be for nothing.

For me, and again this is just my opinion, Epoch draws attention away from role-play as the interaction of characters is not thrust into the center of its purpose. With the currency system and the ability to build nearly wherever you please, there is a larger focus on things outside of the realm of surviving and finding small pockets of survivors that you can have an interesting time with. This isn't to say you cannot have a good, RP-centric time on Epoch, but I see the game (At least in the incarnation we have now) as more of an "RP-Lite" server where you can do plenty of other things if you're just willing to grind OOCly try to amass wealth/power.

I think that Kravok pointed out three of the major things that have affected the population of the servers lately, and one that has to be understood is that a lot of people, given the fact that the minimum age is 16, are in school during this time of year. With Christmas break being over, even those who could stay and play now have a lot of other responsibilities that they have to focus on. As someone who has worked on the staff of other RPGs I can attest that there will always be a "tide" of players, and they almost always come in the same ebb and flow depending on the time of year.

Now to focus on DayZRP, which to me means Server 1. With the problems mostly fixed with the exception of random kicks which I've already addressed in another thread, the quality of role-play and the quantity of it you find are not to be thrust on the community as a whole, as the players themselves have a responsibility to try to get RP going with others.

I man the Outpost by Elektro and whenever I'm online I'm usually in the general vicinity trying to keep it stocked up (Usually in vain) for people who come through. The place has food and drinks for people who need them, and although it requires a bit of protection from the zombies in the area it is very much a place for people to come together and role-play if they want to try to "take a breather" from the rest of the world. The Outpost is by no means a safe haven or a place where you can let all of your worries float away, but you have an opportunity to at least forget about some of them for a time.

There are other people I know of who go around on patrols to try to help others and there are "charity" vehicles that offer assistance to survivors. Now I'm not saying you can't spit in the woods and find RP, but if you are having trouble finding people who are online you may very well want to poke a few people on TeamSpeak if you see them. Setting up RP does not make it any less impressive or immersive than spontaneous role-play when you stumble upon someone in the wilderness.

Don't be afraid to get turned down or if you see particular groups that are on at certain times, you could always send them (The specific members or one of the higher ups) a PM to try to set up an event of some kind, even if it's just a bit of organized zombie killing in an area for catharsis or what have you.

I think the one suggestion that I would give for a way for the community to grow is to have a kind of Role-Play "social" forum where you could try to find people who may fit a niche that you would like for a storyline, propose outlines or ideas and see if anyone is interested (Say trying to colonize an area on S1, involving the gathering of tents, supplies, sandbags and tank traps for protection). It would need a lot of hammering out and of course people who simply try to use it to set up robberies would need to be severely punished, but it's a springboard.

DayZRP isn't going downhill, it's slowly working its way back uphill from where it was when the mod originally had problems, and the population on both servers show that there are a lot of people who find something entertaining about them. I would even go so far as to say if you think we need more RP on S1 then try to volunteer yourself or your group for RP situations and events, either with the help of staff who are available, or with certain people who are looking for similar storylines to play out for their characters.

Whitefur    4

Once the mod is confirmed fixed I might download the 1.6gb files to play it. Just waiting on a stable release.

For me not playing at all is because exams are coming up and I need to study or fail a couple classes and cant waste all my time on DayZRP as much as I want to.

Guest camo1243   
Guest camo1243

You might want to remove the name of a certain other server in case someone gets annoyed. Yes the server population may have gone down but there are multiple reasons for this:

- Epoch as a temporary solution to the breakage taking people away

- Standalone is out

Give it a little while and the servers should go back up in population, if not just wait until SA comes out and play something else in the mean time.

This is a very valid point

-I sure hope so, but I think that it has damaged the community, and we may have to "patch it up" so to speak in the future.

It is January 13th, holidays are over. The lack of people playing is consistent, exams or not. That being said, people still play while exams are going on, I know I sure did ( smart slacker here. )

- I believe I said something to somebody about standalone taking from the server population.