Server time: 2017-10-22, 15:48
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Muntz

The Rise of Rubensic (Ch.2.5)

Muntz    3

//I got bored this afternoon. Decided to write. Hope you enjoy...

531ynQY.png

LIk41Gn.png

4rXz1bo.png

Felix wakes up. “Again?” he mutters to himself. He belatedly gets to his feet and surveys his surroundings. As always, nothing nearby looks remotely familiar. “Where the fuck am I this time?” he asks a nearby tree. He looks down at his clothing. A nondescript brown shirt and similarly bland grey tracksuit pants. Rummaging through his pockets half-heartedly, he confirms his suspicions. The pockets are all empty. “Great” he says sarcastically to himself. Picking a direction at random, he begins to walk.

After what seems like hours, Felix crests a hill. A small cluster of buildings can be seen nestling in the valley below “Finally” he murmurs. He leans against a tree, panting. As he catches his breath, he eyes a group of shadowed figures moving through the abandoned houses.

While he watches, the figures round a building. Ahead of them on the outskirts of town is what looks to be an ailing cow. Malnourished and sickly, the cow struggles to gain its footing. As it attempts to flee, the group spots the troubled animal. As each of them become aware of the prey, they launch into a sprint. The first reach the cow in seconds. It is over quickly. The zombies crouch over their victim, feeding.

Seeing his opportunity, Felix jogs down the hill towards the village. Upon reaching the outskirts he creeps towards a large white building on the opposite side of town to the feeding zombies. He enters the building, a general store.

The store has large windows running along one side, with a shop counter against the opposite wall. The space between is filled with completely empty shelves. However, various scraps and rubbish have been knocked on the floor, left by looters in their haste to flee. After some searching, Felix finds a small backpack behind some shelves at the back of the store.

Felix moves behind the counter and cautiously looks through a door which leads to what seems to be storerooms. These rooms are also filled with shelves. Again, the shelves are empty but various treasures can be seen on the ground. Stepping carefully and quietly between the multitude of empty tin cans, he examines various objects on the floor. He picks up a razor, briefly testing its edge before discarding it as useless. After a short search he discovers a pack of matches, a hunting knife, an empty water bottle and a can of food. Packing these items into his bag and pockets, he prepares to leave.

Heading back the way he came, Felix re-enters the main room of the building. As he steps out from behind the counter he hears a small scuffing sound from behind one of the shelves. Carefully, he moves towards the sound. As he nears, he peeks around the shelves. An idle zombie crouches in the aisle. Felix's movement draws it attention and its head snaps around. Screeching, the zombie launches at him as he turns and sprints for the exit, the zombie in close pursuit, Felix runs through the front doors. He races across the road, past a locked and boarded house and then hurtles around a large red brick building; straight into the group of zombies he observed earlier. Finished with the cow, they had resumed their random patrol of the town. Before they can react, Felix has dodged between them and is through the other side. Sprinting away, he can hear their cries as they begin to pursue.

Ahead of him is a long wooden barn. Heading towards it he checks over his shoulder. The zombies are keeping pace, neither catching up nor falling behind. As he reaches the barn he runs straight through the open doors and sprints across the concrete floor towards the exit at the far end. His pursuers reach the doorway behind him. As they step through it, they seem to slow. Some begin to walk. As he continues through the barn, he spots a hatchet lying on the floor next to the exit. He stops and quickly tries to pick it up. After fumbling with the hatchet and accidentally picking up an empty tin can next to it, the zombies are closing in. Giving up on the hatchet, Felix runs out of the barn and slips into the woods.

After travelling parallel to a paved road for some time, Felix spots a small hunting stand overlooking the road. His stomach growling, he decided that the deer stand will be as good a place to rest as any and heads towards it. Reaching the base he climbs the ladder and flops down against the wall of the stand. Someone had obviously had similar thoughts before. Empty tin cans had been discarded on the floor, along with a single crossbow bolt for some reason. Reaching into his backpack, he retrieves the can of beans. Prying it open with his newly acquired knife, he begins to spoon beans into his mouth with his fingers.

Coming to the end of his meal, Felix throws the now empty tin can on the floor, adding it to others. As he gets to his feet, he hears the sound of an engine. It seems to be heading towards him from the way he had traveled. Wanting to get to the road to get the driver’s attention, he rushes towards the ladder. Aiming to quickly grab the ladder and descend, his hands somehow miss while he runs straight over the edge of the stand. Hitting the ground hard and headfirst, an hourglass flashes before his eyes as darkness envelopes him.

He is running. Through the darkness he sprints, a dragging weight clutched in his arms. A barking dog runs nearby. Unhuman sounds fill the shadows behind them.

Finally, the house is ahead. He runs through the open gate and bursts through the unlatched door. He quickly places his burden on an old mattress which lies on the floor. Turning back to the door he slams it shut as soon as the dog sprints through, into safety. He latches the door and places the heavy timber bar in the socket he has made for this purpose, stopping the door from being forced inwards.

Seconds later something slams into the door from the outside. A mewling sound can be heard as it begins to scratch at the hardwood door. A bestial cry of rage and a final blow on the door signify the end of the ordeal. Silence follows.

Felix walks back to the mattress. He kneels down and brushes his unconscious daughter’s hair from her face. Her skin has gone a deathly grey. The bandage wrapped around her right forearm is soaked an ominous red. He lifts one of her eyelids and examines her bloodshot eye. Felix gets to his feet and walks towards the pantry of the small, single room house they have been sheltering in. His back to the room, he reaches up and takes a bottle of water from a shelf. Behind him, the dog begins to whine.

ftU2c4j.png

An intense ache pounds through his head, slowly making Felix aware of his consciousness. He tentatively opens his eyes. Green, his entire perception is flooded with the darkest shade of green. Holy fuck I’m blind! he thinks as the rising tide of panic overwhelmed him. This panic subsides immediately as the cause of his condition becomes apparent. He rolls over and sits up; the action pulling his face from the huge pile of dark green cow shit he had apparently decided to sleep face down on. Rubbing the shit from his face, he moans “Fuck me, my head feels like I jumped face-first off a ten foot drop and onto concrete”. As his perception expands, he notices the deer stand next to his spot on the ground. Looking up at the platform, which he estimates to be ten feet high, he scratches his head. Looking back down at the pile of shit which he has so recently extricated his face from; he notices its positioning in the middle of a large slab of stone. His bemused head scratch becomes a sheepish one. “Oh. Well that explains it” Slumping onto his back, Felix allows himself a brief respite before rousing.

Sudden realisation washes through him. The car and his fall are remembered in an instant. Snapping upright, he scrambles to his feet. Listening intently and peering along the road, he quickly determines the car is long gone. He groans. “How long was I out for?” Picking up his pack Felix contemplates his next move. Thinking his best chance of finding people is to follow the car, he decides to head in the direction it was travelling.

Once again Felix finds himself walking parallel to a road in search of people. A common occurrence, it is one which he has become accustomed to over the past few years. While subconsciously keeping a wary eye on his surroundings, his thoughts turn inwards.

Since the initial outbreak and the subsequent turmoil, Felix has been wandering the fields and forests of Chernarus. The first months of his journey are nothing but darkness. His mind cannot, or will not, bring forth more than small images or feelings. What he can remember of that time makes him glad he cannot remember more. He isn’t sure how he survived those months. He isn’t even certain he is glad he did.

An almost invisible suggestion of smoke rising above the tree line ahead of him snaps Felix from his reverie. Instantly alert, he crouches in a small depression to observe his surroundings. The smoke, wafting above the tree line approximately two hundred metres away, is a sure sign of people. Debating whether to approach the fire or continue onwards, Felix is suddenly aware of the acute hunger which has become nestled in his stomach. Having no food and running low on water, he decides to move closer.

Moving stealthily through the underbrush, Felix closes on the source of the smoke. The setting sun and a late fog closing in, make for low visibility. As he reaches the edge of the clearing, Felix peers out from behind a pine tree. The origin of the smoke can be seen clearly. An abandoned campfire, poorly extinguished, lies in the centre of the small clearing. Felix straightens and moves slowly into the open, searching the ground for some indication of who the previous inhabitants were.

Empty tin cans litter the clearing. Multiple footprints throughout the clearing indicate little to the would-be tracker. Either a small number of people camped for an extended period of time, or a large group for a short time. Unfortunately, the small, smouldering fire and its surroundings offer no clues as to who the campers were.

Disappointed, Felix kicks more dirt over the fire to fully extinguish it. Preparing to leave the area, he glances around the clearing once more. Nothing. As a final action before he goes, Felix empties his bladder on the now dead fire. Re-fastening his pants and stomach growling with discontent, he begins to walk out of the clearing. The sound of large boots on fallen leaves causes Felix to freeze as a deep Russian accent rings out behind him. “Any particular reason you just decided to piss all over our fucking campfire?”

The hair on the back of Felix's neck stands on end as he slowly turns around.

zKkK86H.png

“Well?” A big angry looking Russian man in uniform points a large, scary gun at Felix’s head. “Don’t you know whose campfire this is?” Felix swallows nervously “L-look, I -“. The Russian interrupts “Shut up мусор!” He looks over his shoulder “Efreitor, bind this man.” At this point Felix realises that the man is not alone; he begins to make out the shapes of three more soldiers in the darkness. One of these shapes moves forward at the command of the first. Reacting to the movement, Felix begins to slowly back away; holding his hands up, palms facing outwards. “Whoa, no need to bind anyone. I thought the camp was abandoned, I’ll just continue on my way. Don’t worry about me!” The commanding Russian takes an authoritative step forward, his weapon raised, voice menacing. “You will stop moving and do as I say. If you displease me I will shoot you.” Felix halts his retreat “Okay, okay! The last thing I want to do is displease you!”

The soldier resumes their route towards Felix. As the armed figure enters the clearing, the moonlight allows Felix to make out their features. Something about the way the soldier moves gives Felix pause. He looks closer as the distance between them lessens. His eyes widen. A woman! She comes to a stop in front of him. Slinging her weapon behind her back she raises the bindings in her hands, looking at him shyly. Impatient, the man behind her steps forward and kicks the back of Felix’s legs, forcing him to his knees. “I told you to bind him. Now bind him!” The female soldier quickly moves forward and pushes Felix onto his stomach. An uncomfortable few seconds later and his hands are firmly bound behind his back. His hands cuffed, face down on the dirt, Felix makes for pitiful viewing. The imperious Russian man steps forward until he is almost standing on Felix’s head. “We are the Spetsnaz Glavnoye Razvedyvatelnoye Upravleniye and you are now our captive."

Felix turns around. The bottle of water drops from his limp grasp. In the centre of the room his daughter writhes on the mattress. As he rushes to her side, she begins to moan. Deep and guttural, unlike any sound she has made before. The dog whines louder, fearful of the strange noise. Fighting down a wave of panic, Felix eases a pillow beneath her head and brushes the hair from her face. Rachel seems to react to his touch. She slowly eases, her tense little body becoming peaceful once more.

Thinking the seizure over, Felix stands to retrieve the bottle of water he dropped. As he moves away, a violent and otherworldly shriek sounds. He turns to the sight of his daughter sitting upright, her back arched violently; face staring directly upwards at the ceiling. As she screams, something seems to tear in her throat. The sound gains a ragged quality as blood begins to drip from the corner of her mouth.

Felix throws himself down beside her once more. He tries to ease her back into the comfort of the mattress, only to find her tiny body resisting his efforts. As he applies more force she begins to thrash, catching him in the mouth with her small but hard head. Eventually he is able to force her onto the mattress. Pinning his daughter down, he reaches for a length of rope on the floor nearby. Blood streaming from his busted lip, he begins to tie a rope around his five year old daughter. Felix blinks as tears well up in his eyes and fall from his swelling face as he works.

Guest Fuzzy   
Guest Fuzzy

2 words: Freaking Amazing

Nice. I hope you get bored more often.

One point of criticism; you've used "Felix" 25 times in your story. Maybe try replacing it with some substitutes? An obvious one would be "he", which you have used a couple of times, but I think the amount of "Felix" can be reduced even more.

Muntz    3

Amazing!

Great read Felix :) loved it!

Nice. I hope you get bored more often.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I really appreciate it!

One point of criticism; you've used "Felix" 25 times in your story. Maybe try replacing it with some substitutes? An obvious one would be "he", which you have used a couple of times, but I think the amount of "Felix" can be reduced even more.

You can never have enough Felix.

In all seriousness, thanks for the critique, I'll have a tinker....

16 words: Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix

Much better than 25. :P

Muntz    3

16 words: Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix Felix

It's weird. I'm not used to men saying my name over and over...

There's a distinctive difference between saying and screaming, Felix.

Muntz    3

There's a distinctive difference between saying and screaming, Felix.

tumblr_mt7zp739Cs1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Alan Woods    4

Reminds me of this:

[video=youtube]

Muntz    3

ftU2c4j.png

An intense ache pounds through his head, slowly making Felix aware of his consciousness. He tentatively opens his eyes. Green, his entire perception is flooded with the darkest shade of green. Holy fuck I’m blind! he thinks as the rising tide of panic overwhelmed him. This panic subsides immediately as the cause of his condition becomes apparent. He rolls over and sits up; the action pulling his face from the huge pile of dark green cow shit he had apparently decided to sleep face down on. Rubbing the shit from his face, he moans “Fuck me, my head feels like I jumped face-first off a ten foot drop and onto concrete”. As his perception expands, he notices the deer stand next to his spot on the ground. Looking up at the platform, which he estimates to be ten feet high, he scratches his head. Looking back down at the pile of shit which he has so recently extricated his face from; he notices its positioning in the middle of a large slab of stone. His bemused head scratch becomes a sheepish one. “Oh. Well that explains it” Slumping onto his back, Felix allows himself a brief respite before rousing.

Sudden realisation washes through him. The car and his fall are remembered in an instant. Snapping upright, he scrambles to his feet. Listening intently and peering along the road, he quickly determines the car is long gone. He groans. “How long was I out for?” Picking up his pack Felix contemplates his next move. Thinking his best chance of finding people is to follow the car, he decides to head in the direction it was travelling.

Once again Felix finds himself walking parallel to a road in search of people. A common occurrence, it is one which he has become accustomed to over the past few years. While subconsciously keeping a wary eye on his surroundings, his thoughts turn inwards.

Since the initial outbreak and the subsequent turmoil, Felix has been wandering the fields and forests of Chernarus. The first months of his journey are nothing but darkness. His mind cannot, or will not, bring forth more than small images or feelings. What he can remember of that time makes him glad he cannot remember more. He isn’t sure how he survived those months. He isn’t even certain he is glad he did.

An almost invisible suggestion of smoke rising above the tree line ahead of him snaps Felix from his reverie. Instantly alert, he crouches in a small depression to observe his surroundings. The smoke, wafting above the tree line approximately two hundred metres away, is a sure sign of people. Debating whether to approach the fire or continue onwards, Felix is suddenly aware of the acute hunger which has become nestled in his stomach. Having no food and running low on water, he decides to move closer.

Moving stealthily through the underbrush, Felix closes on the source of the smoke. The setting sun and a late fog closing in, make for low visibility. As he reaches the edge of the clearing, Felix peers out from behind a pine tree. The origin of the smoke can be seen clearly. An abandoned campfire, poorly extinguished, lies in the centre of the small clearing. Felix straightens and moves slowly into the open, searching the ground for some indication of who the previous inhabitants were.

Empty tin cans litter the clearing. Multiple footprints throughout the clearing indicate little to the would-be tracker. Either a small number of people camped for an extended period of time, or a large group for a short time. Unfortunately, the small, smouldering fire and its surroundings offer no clues as to who the campers were.

Disappointed, Felix kicks more dirt over the fire to fully extinguish it. Preparing to leave the area, he glances around the clearing once more. Nothing. As a final action before he goes, Felix empties his bladder on the now dead fire. Re-fastening his pants and stomach growling with discontent, he begins to walk out of the clearing. The sound of large boots on fallen leaves causes Felix to freeze as a deep Russian accent rings out behind him. “Any particular reason you just decided to piss all over our fucking campfire?”

The hair on the back of Felix's neck stands on end as he slowly turns around.

Muntz    3

Keep it going, you're a very skilled writer.

Aww thanks babe! xoxo

<3

Where you been Zhunk? I miss you! :(

Hofer    20

Keep up the good work. Already expecting part 3 :D

Muntz    3

zKkK86H.png

“Well?” A big angry looking Russian man in uniform points a large, scary gun at Felix’s head. “Don’t you know whose campfire this is?” Felix swallows nervously “L-look, I -“. The Russian interrupts “Shut up мусор!” He looks over his shoulder “Efreitor, bind this man.” At this point Felix realises that the man is not alone; he begins to make out the shapes of three more soldiers in the darkness. One of these shapes moves forward at the command of the first. Reacting to the movement, Felix begins to slowly back away; holding his hands up, palms facing outwards. “Whoa, no need to bind anyone. I thought the camp was abandoned, I’ll just continue on my way. Don’t worry about me!” The commanding Russian takes an authoritative step forward, his weapon raised, voice menacing. “You will stop moving and do as I say. If you displease me I will shoot you.” Felix halts his retreat “Okay, okay! The last thing I want to do is displease you!”

The soldier resumes their route towards Felix. As the armed figure enters the clearing, the moonlight allows Felix to make out their features. Something about the way the soldier moves gives Felix pause. He looks closer as the distance between them lessens. His eyes widen. A woman! She comes to a stop in front of him. Slinging her weapon behind her back she raises the bindings in her hands, looking at him shyly. Impatient, the man behind her steps forward and kicks the back of Felix’s legs, forcing him to his knees. “I told you to bind him. Now bind him!” The female soldier quickly moves forward and pushes Felix onto his stomach. An uncomfortable few seconds later and his hands are firmly bound behind his back. His hands cuffed, face down on the dirt, Felix makes for pitiful viewing. The imperious Russian man steps forward until he is almost standing on Felix’s head. “We are the Spetsnaz Glavnoye Razvedyvatelnoye Upravleniye and you are now our captive."

Felix turns around. The bottle of water drops from his limp grasp. In the centre of the room his daughter writhes on the mattress. As he rushes to her side, she begins to moan. Deep and guttural, unlike any sound she has made before. The dog whines louder, fearful of the strange noise. Fighting down a wave of panic, Felix eases a pillow beneath her head and brushes the hair from her face. Rachel seems to react to his touch. She slowly eases, her tense little body becoming peaceful once more.

Thinking the seizure over, Felix stands to retrieve the bottle of water he dropped. As he moves away, a violent and otherworldly shriek sounds. He turns to the sight of his daughter sitting upright, her back arched violently; face staring directly upwards at the ceiling. As she screams, something seems to tear in her throat. The sound gains a ragged quality as blood begins to drip from the corner of her mouth.

Felix throws himself down beside her once more. He tries to ease her back into the comfort of the mattress, only to find her tiny body resisting his efforts. As he applies more force she begins to thrash, catching him in the mouth with her small but hard head. Eventually he is able to force her onto the mattress. Pinning his daughter down, he reaches for a length of rope on the floor nearby. Blood streaming from his busted lip, he begins to tie a rope around his five year old daughter. Felix blinks as tears well up in his eyes and fall from his swelling face as he works.

Sign in to follow this