Server time: 2017-08-22, 07:32

Sign in to follow this  
AxDSan

Clan vs. Organization - Terminology

AxDSan    0

Hey guys, I'm a very enthusiastic person when it comes around the Role-Playing, and I really like to do so in a very detailed way.

When I see some terms used over others I think of how this affects the gameplay and overall role-play in which the scenario is.

So, I was watching this

and just about when he is actually asking if the other player is on a 'Clan' or not, he actually says 'Clan', at that moment I felt thrown out of the characterization of the gameplay/role-play because of that, and now you can say, Clan is a term used to refer to a group of people together and there is nothing wrong while using that term; And that's just fine but, my point is, wouldn't be more role-play oriented that you address the term of 'Organization' which is a more elegant form and more 'Colloquial' way of introducing this into a role-play environment.

As I say this I say the other part as well, I know everyone does not have the same level of detailed role-play and not everyone has the same detail of terminology, or the same level of vocabulary, specially if you are shooting a video and you have to speak flawlessly without any prior editing, I guess this is a challenge, of course but, if you have this knowledge before hand I'm guessing the role-play would be more exciting, and less misleading.

I know I will get a lot of different rants/reckons/reactions over this specific discussion, but It's what I think of when it comes down to achieve a descent Role-play.

Conclusion: The word 'Clan' sounded to be more OOC than IC. Even though we know he was actually Role-playing. My personal choice, it will be using 'Organization' more in-game, and using Clan/Group outside, like you have already in the forums. Again this will be my personal top choice when I start to role-play but, it will be great if other players would start adapting this too.

-----------------

Can you share your opinions on this topic? I will be glad to let others participate on this too, and see how they see it from their POV.

When I ask people if they have any affiliations I tend to ask, if they are part of a "group" or have any friends.

I personnally also hate it when people use the word "clan" IC since that just sounds a bit.....stupid or however you want to call it.

Reptile449    0

Not many people use clan in game, they tend to stumble for a second then say something like group/faction/organisation etc.

Stagsview    589

I agree with you in some points. I have a big mouth and It is hard sometimes i call TWS a "Clan" most of the time i call us a gang or militia but from the odd moments, it slips.

If you want to use that term then its a good idea but you should not force people in calling a clan something they may not claim to be. Let the group themselves what they want! Call them or overs what they want. Let them use some imagination!

Othuyeg    20

I usually introduce myself as a bishop of the church of Brian and often even forget to add that I am also a FM...

For my character his bishophood is very important and he is a very religious person so free medicry is only something he does on the side when people are hurt.

AxDSan    0

...If you want to use that term then its a good idea but you should not force people in calling a clan something they may not claim to be. Let the group themselves what they want! Call them or overs what they want. Let them use some imagination!

I see and understand your point, but in this case no one is over-forcing someone else to actually change their ways of being, in terms of the group they are in, in this case I simply saw someone using a word which is usually... Let's say, Irregular, while you are role-playing, Take this 2 examples in consideration:

-Example 1-

[Asking - Should be Incorrect]

Kelly: Hey John, why did you joined the clan of The Killers?

[Answering - Should be Incorrect]

John: I joined this clan because they are cool and they have weapons.

-Example 2-

[Asking - Should be Correct]

Kelly: Hey John, why did you joined the organization/group of The Killers?

[Answering - Should be Correct]

John: I joined this organization/group because they are cool and they have weapons.

----------------------------

Did you see how the whole context changes the perspective of the Role-play?

For me, I could think of, how using 'Organization' over 'Clan' empowers the context of the conversation, given the Role-play and the scenario.

Stagsview    589

Personally i would say it like this: *IC*

[Asking should be correct]

Kelly: Hey John, why did you join us with those bastards The killers?

[Answering should be correct]

John: I joined up with them because they *Add RP reason here(They saved my life or I agree with their political,social views..etc...)* (Not they are cool and have weapons, who would IRL say that?)

A good RP way is not even to even use the term "group/gang/organization/Clan" that is my way of RPing. It makes it feel more human in my opinion. Think how you would ask it if you where the character. My personal advise Avoid these terms and try a more indirect manner. IF they do not understand. Then yes, do what you said and you are quiet right. The term "Clan" is a bit bad but it should not be forced onto people as a rule or such, maybe a recommendation at most.

Anyway. It is nice you to see you are trying to make a original style of RP around you!

Bush    10

...If you want to use that term then its a good idea but you should not force people in calling a clan something they may not claim to be. Let the group themselves what they want! Call them or overs what they want. Let them use some imagination!

I see and understand your point, but in this case no one is over-forcing someone else to actually change their ways of being, in terms of the group they are in, in this case I simply saw someone using a word which is usually... Let's say, Irregular, while you are role-playing, Take this 2 examples in consideration:

-Example 1-

[Asking - Should be Incorrect]

Kelly: Hey John, why did you joined the clan of The Killers?

[Answering - Should be Incorrect]

John: I joined this clan because they are cool and they have weapons.

-Example 2-

[Asking - Should be Correct]

Kelly: Hey John, why did you joined the organization/group of The Killers?

[Answering - Should be Correct]

John: I joined this organization/group because they are cool and they have weapons.

----------------------------

Did you see how the whole context changes the perspective of the Role-play?

For me, I could think of, how using 'Organization' over 'Clan' empowers the context of the conversation, given the Role-play and the scenario.

I am not sure of the rest of the community, but I would never say "Hey John, why did you joined the clan of The Killers?" I would completely ignore the word Clan in this sentence, and say something more like "Hey John, why did you sign up with The Killers?

AxDSan    0

@Stagsview & @Bushseaman,

I really liked the way of your approach up to this topic/discussion and I really liked the alternative gameplay/role-play display that you gave, In this case I will be more adaptive to the ones you gave and surely will be a better way of avoiding saying at all, those words, But in my case I'm wanting to do an Army-type style of militia, which I would call an Organization, because that's how I feel with that future group I plan to open.

And personally giving another word like, clan, will kill it totally, For example we see the news everyday, speaking about political issues, military issues and they refer to them as organizations, not as clans etc, etc. Obviously, we see 'The Army' as a whole, not as individual, that's why my point on calling something an organization other than a clan. Like I said before it feels like using that word empowers the context of the given topic, in this case which group are you in?

Few examples would be:

uJ5J6OA.png

As you can see in my example above is how the word 'Organization' could be used properly in as a whole describing an entity. In this case the army, another example Al'Qaeda is a Militarized Organization, not a Clan... If they had a sub-group belonging to them, they would be called, e.g., The White Tigers Clan of Al'Qaeda, now that's a clan.

I guess if you would like to structure further more a group already, you could make, sub-groups like I explained before, which this will fall relatively under the term of 'Clans' now there is where the term should belong and where it should be acceptable for use.

------

Again these are ideas of re-structuring the current Role-play system that is available, I guess these ideas could be used for more exploration of new methods of Role-play gameplays and so on.

Glenn O    3

If someone says clan over something else I dont go retard and pretend that I dont understand what he means. It's like if someone ask me to drop my weapons and dont tell me consecuenses, I dont act like a retard then and run, I stay and drop them. Roleplay over ruleplay. Sometimes u or someone says the wrong thing, but just help eachother out. If he says clan, I go like "ahh u mean my prison tatoo?"

AxDSan    0

If someone says clan over something else I dont go retard and pretend that I dont understand what he means. It's like if someone ask me to drop my weapons and dont tell me consecuenses, I dont act like a retard then and run, I stay and drop them. Roleplay over ruleplay. Sometimes u or someone says the wrong thing, but just help eachother out. If he says clan, I go like "ahh u mean my prison tatoo?"

Yeah totally haha, I got your point too, actually I was thinking that myself too, For example whenever someone address a group with a clan I would go like: "Well this group is pretty tight (addressing the group is not a clan -IC-), not many people are in.", and so on, or just like you have mentioned, address something relative to your group, just to snap off that slight mistake.

Stagsview    589

I recommend before forming a organization you should apply for one first. Get the feel and watch how people rp inside a clan. What you like and what you do not. Get known in the community and make more interesting posts like this one. If you want a military style clan then i recommend Duty. Top notch rp, they never disappoint. But save your clan idea a little longer. It might grow with experience with others. Best of luck!!

Also before doing anything you have to be white listed! Best of luck m8!

AxDSan    0

I recommend before forming a organization you should apply for one first. Get the feel and watch how people rp inside a clan. What you like and what you do not. Get known in the community and make more interesting posts like this one. If you want a military style clan then i recommend Duty. Top notch rp, they never disappoint. But save your clan idea a little longer. It might grow with experience with others. Best of luck!!

Also before doing anything you have to be white listed! Best of luck m8!

Yeah, I agree with all of what you have mentioned, Since I don't even own the game yet, I'm planning this all before-hand, because I really wanna structure, How I will play, What I should do, Why I should do it, Which Character I will adapt, and so on.

So far I'm doing this to get experience before-hand like I said, not in the specific experience of actually playing, hence the situation that I don't yet own the game, but the result of adding experience by looking different people doing RP in YouTube and such, that's what I aim for before I jump right at this, and this is why I'm discussing such things and well I'm making my way there :D since that's my dream here, to achieve that, Make my own group/organization, Be known to people, And probably/possibly be a potential example for new people who joins.

PhishTV    0

@Stagsview & @Bushseaman,

I really liked the way of your approach up to this topic/discussion and I really liked the alternative gameplay/role-play display that you gave, In this case I will be more adaptive to the ones you gave and surely will be a better way of avoiding saying at all, those words, But in my case I'm wanting to do an Army-type style of militia, which I would call an Organization, because that's how I feel with that future group I plan to open.

And personally giving another word like, clan, will kill it totally, For example we see the news everyday, speaking about political issues, military issues and they refer to them as organizations, not as clans etc, etc. Obviously, we see 'The Army' as a whole, not as individual, that's why my point on calling something an organization other than a clan. Like I said before it feels like using that word empowers the context of the given topic, in this case which group are you in?

Few examples would be:

uJ5J6OA.png

As you can see in my example above is how the word 'Organization' could be used properly in as a whole describing an entity. In this case the army, another example Al'Qaeda is a Militarized Organization, not a Clan... If they had a sub-group belonging to them, they would be called, e.g., The White Tigers Clan of Al'Qaeda, now that's a clan.

I guess if you would like to structure further more a group already, you could make, sub-groups like I explained before, which this will fall relatively under the term of 'Clans' now there is where the term should belong and where it should be acceptable for use.

------

Again these are ideas of re-structuring the current Role-play system that is available, I guess these ideas could be used for more exploration of new methods of Role-play gameplays and so on.

I agree with you and I also like the approach he took. As for myself, I usually say "group" however I will admit there have been a few times when I have used "clan". But believe me I do notice when I use it after the fact and try to correct myself.

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

I am not sure of the rest of the community, but I would never say "Hey John, why did you joined the clan of The Killers?" I would completely ignore the word Clan in this sentence, and say something more like "Hey John, why did you sign up with The Killers?

It happens, believe me.