Server time: 2017-08-18, 01:00

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dimitri926

DayzRP Should Be For RolePlayers

Guest Dimitri926   
Guest Dimitri926

DayZ RP is for Role Playing If you don't have a mic or don;t like to role play... DayZRP might not be for you.

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

Hey, I highly disagree saying that if you don't have a mic then DayZRP might not be for you.

People can create amazing roleplay through text, I've met people in the past with outstanding text roleplay. I hope you understand that even if you have a microphone or not, DayZRP still welcomes you in to the community, you can still play with text chat, it's just a little difficult.

Guest zisb   
Guest zisb

To be honest, I feel like using text in certain situations can help the help the Rp as it can disguise the person's real life reactions, something that voice can't do.

It can also help with accents as some may be tterrble with them.

Edit: Phone Spelling

Slute    1

I don't agree at all.

I have seen many cases, that text roleplay makes things even better. Example *Leroy flips open the can and cracks the casing*

I've seen people who can only use text (no microphones) have better RP then people with Microphones. Usually the people who type can type decently fast, which makes no problem for anyone.

I wouldn't advise not telling people not to play this mod because they do not have a mic. Let them join the community if they'd like, and let them decide for themselves.

My friend and i just took someone hostage. My friends mic was fucking up so he had to use text(obviously) and his roleplay was amazing. not just saying that because hes a mate, but the things you can say in text, are simply amazing for roleplaying and voice just cant do that most of the time.

Stagsview    587

Its a bit biast what you quoted there. Some guyw play female characters and can not use a mic. So they so, that rp was reqlly goodnl. I agree voice is more realistic but saying only mics allowed is harsh and untrue in my case.

One of the best RP'ers in the community (Mace from TOR) uses/used text for RP. I see nothing wrong with text RP

BeastMade    0

text chat is good as mic, sometimes even better.

and you just joined dayzRP, how can you say

"If you don't have a mic or don;t like to role play... DayZRP might not be for you."

well i agree with if you dont like RP this is not the place :D

Alan Woods    3

Uhmmm what ?

Why should a mic divide Role players from non Role players....

There are people who don't like talking, so they use text, or people who use it to make themselves understood better.

BeastMade    0

Uhmmm what ?

Why should a mic divide Role players from non Role players....

There are people who don't like talking, so they use text, or people who use it to make themselves understood better.

yeah and people who cant afford money for mic, and it doesnt make for bad RP.i had this problem time ago.

Onionjack    0

One of the best RP'ers in the community (Mace from TOR) uses/used text for RP. I see nothing wrong with text RP

^I was gonna say this too

cj_smttt    0

I agree with everyone hear on the fact that text is OK for RP. I've seen some pretty amazing RP players that only used text because of mic issues and I had no issues with it.

I have a microphone and use text chat in game.

Texas532    0

In fact text chat can work better than a mic when playing a role that you cannot do a voice for.

Muntz    3

I tend to think that RP with text only limits the overall standard of RP experience. Multiple times I have begun interacting with an individual and they have begun using text only. For me the pauses between one person using voice and the other using text just breaks immersion. As a result I have cut the interaction short and moved on. All text is fine in a crowded settlement though.

Little hint: If you want to get out of awesome and elaborate bandit RP; use text only.

A mix of the two works perfectly. The best RP'ers (in my opinion) use text for actions and to emote. They then use voice to communicate.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

I tend to think that RP with text only limits the overall standard of RP experience. Multiple times I have begun interacting with an individual and they have begun using text only. For me the pauses between one person using voice and the other using text just breaks immersion. As a result I have cut the interaction short and moved on. All text is fine in a crowded settlement though.

Little hint: If you want to get out of awesome and elaborate bandit RP; use text only.

A mix of the two works perfectly. The best RP'ers (in my opinion) use text for actions and to emote. They then use voice to communicate.

This.

Texas532    0

This ^^^

But also text roleplaying isn't all bad. Plus I would hate to think that we are excluding someone if they can't afford a mic

Muntz    3

This ^^^

But also text roleplaying isn't all bad. Plus I would hate to think that we are excluding someone if they can't afford a mic

If you can afford a PC that can run Arma 2 as well as being able to buy Arma 2 OA, then you can afford a $10 mic. My microphone is literally worth $8 AUD. Not the best quality, especially now it is getting old, but definitely serviceable.

Edit: I personally have no issue with people who use text only. I just don't interact with them any more than is necessary because I find it detracts from my experience.

Whitefur    4

This ^^^

If you can afford a PC that can run Arma 2 as well as being able to buy Arma 2 OA, then you can afford a $10 mic. My microphone is literally worth $8 AUD. Not the best quality, especially now it is getting old, but definitely serviceable.

Edit: I personally have no issue with people who use text only. I just don't interact with them any more than is necessary because I find it detracts from my experience.

Speak for yourself. lol i bought an Astro A40 headset just for RP :P

Muntz    3

This ^^^

Speak for yourself. lol i bought an Astro A40 headset just for RP :P

My good headset died (Tritton 720+), so I had to use an older shittier one. I picked up a shitty mic to go with it until I can afford better. Not that it is relevant to the discussion at hand...

Mace    10

Well I had a D'awww moment at the comment directed at me, but not going to focus on that aside from thanking the guys who made it. Thanks!

Onto the actual topic and what seems to be the sticking point for a lot of people: Mics. I'm not a voice person, and I've actually talked to people on Teamspeak about why this is and I'd like to share about me, personally, so that you might have a bit of an idea about why people don't use voice chat in game.

Sometimes my fiancee and I don't sleep at the same time, and I stay up late playing games after she's asleep. I play on the bed and because of this I don't use voice because I don't want to wake her up. This is usually one of the biggest reasons I don't use voice after certain times because honestly I love my snugglebum and want her to get plenty of sleep.

The other big reason is that I'm coming up on having role-played online for 16 years in the spring. All of this was through text. I've never LARPed and though I've had some tabletop gaming experience we never really got into the deep kind of characterization that a lot of people do, and I'm not damning it in the least. I think if you're with a group of people that you can really get in with and let go, then by all means get absorbed in your character. For me that was never a choice, really, and now when I do role-play I honestly feel self-conscious about doing so over voice. I much prefer to throw in actions, even if it's just wiping off sweat or cleaning my weapon, which my character does a lot.

Now, I also don't think that it's right to be aggressive toward this person because he thinks you need a mic to play this game, because in some ways it can be a very valid thought process. The medium isn't really made for role-play. It's an action game, and in tense moments you simply cannot afford the time to type. If you're like me and you can speak, this is usually when I do so. If we're running from a horde and I want someone to do something, or I'm giving directions, then this is usually when I start to role-play through voice. Another thing, which is really just a quirk of mine, is singing, and if someone else sings and I want to sing along I'll go onto voice real quick and do so, because I think there's just something a bit strange about typing out the lyrics.

When there is a lot of combat and a lot of tension going on then voice can be the easier thing to use. One of the things I'd like to point out, however, is that as an RP server the fast-paced action needs to be balanced with the willingness to slow down and to think about your character and their actions. Singing, for example, is something I prefer to do on voice because honestly it's a subjective thing. I can't very well say my character sings "beautifully" or even "well" without it being in a strange, quasi-powergame situation with people who may think I suck (And I do, trust me). In text-based games or other mediums where you have more time and don't have to worry about random zombies biting on your behindus, you can actually write out something detailed, talking about the characteristics of your character's voice that would allow someone to think "Yeah, I like singers like that" or "Eh, that's not the kind of voice I like."

DayZRP isn't ONLY about text and it isn't ONLY about voice. There are times when both are appropriate, but more often than not there are times when both are not able to be properly performed, and one thing that DayZRP is is understanding. Understand that there are people who are going to write out posts about what their character is doing, just like they understand you prefer to focus more on your character's voice.

It all has its place, and it shouldn't really go one way or another. Go with the flow, enjoy it, and by all means if you ever get tired of talking, try the typing thing. I'm biased, admittedly, but I love text-based role-playing. Even if it's just lighting a cigarette or cracking open something to drink.

I will leave you with one suggestion though: If you prefer voice, use your voice in ways other than speaking. This may sound a bit odd, but I'll give a great example. Jedediah, a crazy redneck who I still think is one of the best role-players we've had here, had a can of condensed milk, and as he opened it and began to eat it, actually made a rather convincing sound of eating (I think he might have actually had pudding at his keyboard). Smacking his lips, talking with his mouth partially full as was the way of his character. Not in an obnoxious manner, though it could easily come off as that, but there was something just beyond his voice that was added into the moment and it made it hilarious and memorable.

If you're someone like Sweet Joe and you smoke joints, that voice when you're holding it in, catching the cough, things like that, all give your voice the same kind of depth and character that text actions can give you.

Don't hate, Role-Play...ate?

Nailed it.

Apfelsator    2

If you can afford a PC that can run Arma 2 as well as being able to buy Arma 2 OA, then you can afford a $10 mic. My microphone is literally worth $8 AUD.

That just doesn't really make sense in my opinion.

You can have the money for a pc and the game on one time but it is possible that you can't afford a mic on another time.

Don't conclude from your position on the position of others.

For example, i have like 180 Euros per month from wich i pay 140 for the rent, that means i have 40 euros left for food and everything else, a 10 euro mic is then 25% of the money i have left for myself in the month.

Sin    113

... I'm not a voice person, and I've actually talked to people on Teamspeak about why this is....

-snipped for space-

Don't hate, Role-Play...ate?

Nailed it.

I read this entire post in your voice. <3

So that's why you almost shot me for not speaking and typing to slow when I was kidnapped....

Thanks for the 'RP push' I use voice a lot more now. ;)

Sign in to follow this