Server time: 2017-10-20, 03:34
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Apfelsator

Headless client for the Server

Apfelsator    2

So, as i was sucked in from youtube once more, i found a few videos mentioning a "headless client" wich:

is a script that offloads the AI processing to a separate server, this allows for the AI to run at a much higher framerate and be much more responsive than usual.

I have no idea if the devs/admins know about it already but i thought i will just mention it as it seems perfect for spawning large amounts of zombies for (spontaneous)events without dropping the server fps to 0.

To give you a idea of how it works, here is a

Also, a set-up guide.

If it is already known, the thread can be closed again(and by then i'm sorry for additional work) but as i only saw it mentioned once when i searched it, i thought to make this thread anyway.

Thumper    0

Yeah I have seen this..you can also separate day and night to different servers so you can have different things happening like bloodsuckers only at night. Or other AI.

Apfelsator    2

Yeah I have seen this..you can also separate day and night to different servers so you can have different things happening like bloodsuckers only at night. Or other AI.

Oh, i didn't knew about this though...just read some basics about it.

A very nice tool in my opinion...if it works without problems of course.

Ego    1

Headless AI is fantastic, no doubt about it.

Franz    0

That's a nice idea, hopefully this can be implemented and increase the average amount of FPS you can get on the servers.

Apfelsator    2

That would involve Rolle spending money on more servers, so probably won't happen.

I thought there where 3 servers already?

So if two would be on usual population, the third could be used for this kind of tool/script.

Well, at least until the general population is rising again.

Symmetrical    1

Awesome idea, I think this would bring back the old RP experience.. Of-course everything has to be fixed first..

Maybe once everything is fixed this can be looked into, but yea it's a really good idea. :)

Awesome idea, I think this would bring back the old RP experience.. Of-course everything has to be fixed first..

Please,

Explain how faster AI's are going to increase peoples roleplaying.

Athan    7

Papa, when events are going on which involve spawning lots of zeds completely lag out your game to an unplayable state.

Papa, when events are going on which involve spawning lots of zeds completely lag out your game to an unplayable state.

He's right to say that it doesn't help people's role playing abilities though.

It is a server side improvement that prevents lag only.

Symmetrical    1

Please,

Explain how faster AI's are going to increase peoples roleplaying.

I meant that people are gonna come back to RP if it gets fixed.

One of the issues are FPS lags and if the headless client will be implemented it will solve it...

Rolle    2951

It's a nice feature although a bit experimental and requires modifying the client files. The server performance may be a problem, I'd have to get an additional server for this task.

Apfelsator    2

It's a nice feature although a bit experimental and requires modifying the client files. The server performance may be a problem, I'd have to get an additional server for this task.

Strange, somehow i thought everyone of the dev/admin team already knows about it.

If not, i'm glad if it could help with the performance(and if it is easy to implement). :)

Rolle    2951

Strange, somehow i thought everyone of the dev/admin team already knows about it.

If not, i'm glad if it could help with the performance(and if it is easy to implement). :)

I knew about it, but chose not to implement it because of the experimental nature of this, plus I didn't know how to properly integrate it with DayZ. But, like I said in some other thread, now that standalone is out we don't want to do any major changes to the mod, merely fixes to get it up working again and stable.

Apfelsator    2

I knew about it, but chose not to implement it because of the experimental nature of this, plus I didn't know how to properly integrate it with DayZ. But, like I said in some other thread, now that standalone is out we don't want to do any major changes to the mod, merely fixes to get it up working again and stable.

Ah, that explains it.

Well, i'm glad when S1 is working stable again and don't wanted to give you some additional work, so the thread can be closed, i guess?

Sin    127

Sure.