Server time: 2017-10-17, 17:06
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Tomeran

The Epoch vs Vanilla(dayzRP) rivalry

Tomeran    3

There's been an ongoing debate over the forums ever since epoch was introduced wether it sucks or not, or wether its something dayzRP should have. To my knowledge, Epoch was first intended to be something highly tempoary while vanilla was being fixed, but since it was introduced, it has become quite popular.

Wether that popularity is because dayzRP vanilla is still partially broken or because people find the epoch features very interesting can be debated, but the fact remains, the epoch-server remains at max-population almost 24/7, even at non-peak times, while vanilla is lurking around 20/50(which is still a notable increase compared to how much it used to have a few weeks ago). So judging by the traffic alone, epoch remains popular and therefore perhaps an element to dayzRP that is here to stay.

This is not another "I dont like epoch because" or "I prefer epoch because..."-thread, we have had COUNTLESS threads debating wether epoch or vanilla is the better option. The only thing that has been truly determined through all of these threads is that the community is divided in which version of dayzRP they prefer.

Unfortunetly, it has started to become frequently more common that a sort of rivalry between these two..."groups"...has emerged within the community. Both have thrashed the others for their choice and preferances, and frankly its starting to get ridicilous.

The introduction of the CTC highlighted this problem to me, since CTC is an epoch-focused(but not epoch-exclusive, this deserves to be mentioned.again.) project. I have as a result been accused of neglecting vanilla dayzRP in a fair few messages.

This "black and white" view of things need to stop.

Some people like epoch. Some people like vanilla. Get over it.

There shouldnt have to be a rift growing in the community simply because they might have different preferances. The example I can think of is bandits and "civilians", that have largely learned to live together.(even if there's the occassional grumpyness between the two)

Now truth be told I dont know if this is a colossal problem yet, but from what I've personally experienced and seen on the forums, resentment and unnecessary comments of this nature are definetly on the rise.

Since its unlikely that either two versions of dayzRP will dissepear anytime soon, the only natural course of action to try and maintain "community harmony" is to accept the variation of tastes and preferances and keep working together and bridge the gap between the two.

Im going to eventually, when I can be bothered, make a more extended suggestion thread where I suggest that the two RP servers are connected through whatever plots and events that may happen on them. Essentially, what happens in epoch happens in vanilla, or vice versa. Because truth remains, the two mods are very different and offer two very different experiences, and I'd like to think that by allowed the two to live side by side and "connected, we'd have a nice choice of alternatives available for whenever you'd happen to get bored of one of the versions. But you'd still have the same stories, same people and the same plots'n'factions.

Finally, the "dayzRP vanilla is being neglected"-argument which I've heard a fair few times by now: The simple truth is that it isnt being neglected.

Tamaster is an -incredibly- hard working developer for epoch, and the problem with vanilla dayzRP is very hard to solve(we've been at it for over a month now?). But that doesnt mean that the vanilla devs are not trying to solve it.

This is the simple answer to the difference of development between the two versions of the mod,

So, lets please bury the hatchet.

And in the words of Dora:

6cRJB.jpg

People will argue about all most anything and yes it is rather stupid, considering that this is all still the same community I don't see why such a rift has come up, we're all still here none of us have gotten up and left we're just not all on the same version of the mod.

Epochs time will pass eventually like all good things but while it's here there's no reason for this great community to tear itself into two.

I hate epoch, it sucks and it is ruining the community. It made me not donate money and I also advised my friends not to join DayZRP.

... I'm supposed to say that now, am I not?

Guest TCkril   
Guest TCkril

"Why not have both?"

IT SPLITS UP THE COMMUNITY

"Why not have both?"

Okay then let's only have Epoch.

... but you're against that as well, are you not? :P

Why can't we just be one big happy family again?? :(

Guest TCkril   
Guest TCkril

"Why not have both?"

This is DayZRP not an Epoch mod.

Tomeran    3

"Why not have both?"

trolling, or?

Did you read the thread?

edit: Okay, guess you werent trolling. But your replies definetly highlights the attitude problem.

Valkerion    0

My only problem is that with the current state of DayZRP im pretty much forced to play epoch or play nothing at all.

Its really disheartening to see almost no change in the DayZRP mod (considering just how busted it is at the moment) after almost a month as you said yourself.

Yet epoch is updated every other day (i understand that its because the codes is easier or whatever).

But even though i understand that it still feels like us S1 players have been forgotten about as we never hear anything about whats going on or what is going to happen in the future (at least i dont anyway)

now again i understand that obviously the devs are doing their jobs as hard as they can but when you have been left out of the loop for so long it just feels like we have been abandoned at least thats how i feel anyway.

And the fact that I hear next to nothing about how work is going with the DayZRP mod just makes that feeler hit so much harder because then it even looks like they arnt doing anything (although im sure they are)

Mikachu    26

"Why not have both?"

DayzRP is just a DayZ mod...

Also I am more.. visible on the forums with what is happening dev wise so maybe it seems like staff is working on Epoch more, but trust me, that isn't the case.

"Why not have both?"

That's not really an argument. If the community prefers Epoch, then it prefers Epoch. The only reason you say it splits up the community is because you don't like epoch and you want to force everyone to play the normal mod. You're the minority in disliking Epoch, and there's no argument to be used for that. All you can do is be happy you still have the option to play the normal mod.

For the record, I don't like Epoch either.

Robbin    0

I don't see the problem. Currently, the RP mod is not working properly. It has obvious problems, which is for all to see and is known to the staff. It is being worked on.

Epoch is something like vanilla DayZ with some modifications that make the game better in my opinion. Also, a lot of things that are slowly getting even better (Tamaster92 will make that happen) with the loot-tables and such. I don't see a problem with us using it to it's potential now. It's not that bad having people on both servers (or either of them). Not trying to sell Epoch, but I was pleasantly surprised myself.

Gina    26

I cannot see the reason why RP server cannot have bits from Epoch. Of course as it is now, there is still too much goodies from Epoch mod, and I can agree that having all those goodies are affecting the RP. People are too focused to have all that bling bling and not so focused on RP at the moment. But it will change, have some faith!

If people allow their negativity to slide aside, they could see all the possibilities what those bits from Epoch can add and offer to the RP. :)

And no, I am not focusing only in Epoch my self, but I like to play there as well.

DinoB    20
"Why not have both?"

This is technically true, but what can you expect from people, vanilla Rp is currently a bit "broken", and you can't blame them for playing Epoch. Maybe they just like it more, but it doesn't matter.

As soon as vanilla gets fixed, things should go more or less back to normal.

Rolle    2931

1. Devs are split between the servers, Kravok works on DayZRP mod, Tamaster on Epoch. The Epoch development is not slowing down the development on DayZRP mod in any way.

2. Choice. It's good for people to have free choice, then they can pick the alternative they like the best. I'm not a fan of forcing people to do things only I like and shove my ideas down their throat. Just because some people dislike Epoch doesn't mean we should shut down the servers for everyone who enjoy it. Why not have both?

3. Epoch is keeping us alive at the moment, without it the DayZRP servers would be empty and the community would surely start to decline in numbers. It is essential that we ensure that the DayZRP community can offer a working RP environment, without it there is no purpose of being here. Epoch is currently doing exactly that, whether you like it or not - it works (most of the time) and it is new, meaning more people are keen to try it and start playing again. I think the player numbers on the Epoch server speak for themselves. Saying that features like ability to build bases or buy vehicles renders you unable to role play and makes other people RP worse than without those features is silly. Mod features do not RP, players do.

4. Community is not getting split. This is DayZRP, we play DayZ with RP, regardless of which mod we use. Both Epoch and DayZRP mod are DayZ and offer the same basic functionality. Epoch is here to stay, at least until it gets empty or we completely move to standalone.

LoneWolfy    29

1. Devs are split between the servers, Kravok works on DayZRP mod, Tamaster on Epoch. The Epoch development is not slowing down the development on DayZRP mod in any way.

2. Choice. It's good for people to have free choice, then they can pick the alternative they like the best. I'm not a fan of forcing people to do things only I like and shove my ideas down their throat. Just because some people dislike Epoch doesn't mean we should shut down the servers for everyone who enjoy it. Why not have both?

3. Epoch is keeping us alive at the moment, without it the DayZRP servers would be empty and the community would surely start to decline in numbers. It is essential that we ensure that the DayZRP community can offer a working RP environment, without it there is no purpose of being here. Epoch is currently doing exactly that, whether you like it or not - it works (most of the time) and it is new, meaning more people are keen to try it and start playing again. I think the player numbers on the Epoch server speak for themselves. Saying that features like ability to build bases or buy vehicles renders you unable to role play and makes other people RP worse than without those features is silly. Mod features do not RP, players do.

4. Community is not getting split. This is DayZRP, we play DayZ with RP, regardless of which mod we use. Both Epoch and DayZRP mod are DayZ and offer the same basic functionality. Epoch is here to stay, at least until it gets empty or we completely move to standalone.

"4. Community is not getting split. This is DayZRP, we play DayZ with RP, regardless of which mod we use. Both Epoch and DayZRP mod are DayZ and offer the same basic functionality. Epoch is here to stay, at least until it gets empty or we completely move to standalone."

The Community isn't split? No disrepsect intended Rolle, but have you seen the populations ratios between the two servers? Epoch has an average of 40-50 players, while S1 has an average of 5-15...Let me allow that to sink in... FIVE TO FIFTEEN. I call that a split if I have ever seen one. Also, not to mention the amount of people that prefer the vanilla DayZ and have decided to just not play at all until the Vanilla is patched. Furthermore, if you have two mods which are not a connected have (I.E characters cant switch freely between them with gear and spawn locations) then people will undoubtedly make the choice of which mod they are going to stick with. This leaves a split community because some clans may prefer Epoch while some prefer vanilla, and in this case these clans will never share their RP together. You make a valid point, "Why not have both?". But the problem with having both and having the split choice with it, is that you funnel players and clans into one server or the other without the beauty of having a shared hive. Just take into account what I have said.

Gina    26

When we still had settlements, different ones in S1 and S2, there were clans and players who preferred to play in certain server, but you never heard that the community was split.

I personally know many who would've just stop playing until the vanilla DayZRP server is fixed, but now when there is alternative, they keep playing. Why not allow them to do that if that is what keeps them here?

Texas532    0

I think that integrating the successful element from epoch to make a hybrid mod would work better

Tomeran    3

The "community split" thing is entirely a player notion: its only split because people are making it split. The server populations have nothing to do with it, since the SPLIT lies in the attitude people are displaying towards each other.

If the split would just be in server pop, then we've ALWAYS had it split between servers. To say that epoch "fractures" the community because it it has people on it while vanilla also has people on it is...not making sense. Its pretty much exactly how we've had things running before with S1 and S2. People play at what server they want to play. its always been like that.

I think that integrating the successful element from epoch to make a hybrid mod would work better

I suggested that a while ago, to make a hybrid between epoch and vanilla, but the idea was met with....fierce resistance.

"4. Community is not getting split. This is DayZRP, we play DayZ with RP, regardless of which mod we use. Both Epoch and DayZRP mod are DayZ and offer the same basic functionality. Epoch is here to stay, at least until it gets empty or we completely move to standalone."

The Community isn't split? No disrepsect intended Rolle, but have you seen the populations ratios between the two servers? Epoch has an average of 40-50 players, while S1 has an average of 5-15...Let me allow that to sink in... FIVE TO FIFTEEN. I call that a split if I have ever seen one. Also, not to mention the amount of people that prefer the vanilla DayZ and have decided to just not play at all until the Vanilla is patched. Furthermore, if you have two mods which are not a connected have (I.E characters cant switch freely between them with gear and spawn locations) then people will undoubtedly make the choice of which mod they are going to stick with. This leaves a split community because some clans may prefer Epoch while some prefer vanilla, and in this case these clans will never share their RP together. You make a valid point, "Why not have both?". But the problem with having both and having the split choice with it, is that you funnel players and clans into one server or the other without the beauty of having a shared hive. Just take into account what I have said.

People play what they like better. If people play on Epoch because vanilla is borked, then they will switch back once it's "unborked". If not, well, then apparently the community has chosen.

Choice causes people to make a decision, yes. That's kind of the idea of choice. Personally I don't see the difference between the choice between two identical servers (S1 and S2 as we had before) and between two different mods. The result is the same; clans get split. A shared hive might fix part of the problem, but most people complaining about the community getting split aren't happy with Epoch and just want to see it gone.

You cannot remove one mod just to force people to play the other.

The "community split" thing is entirely a player notion: its only split because people are making it split. The server populations have nothing to do with it, since the SPLIT lies in the attitude people are displaying towards each other.

If the split would just be in server pop, then we've ALWAYS had it split between servers. To say that epoch "fractures" the community because it divides the population between two servers is...not making sense. People play at what server they want to play. its always been like that.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but better. o7

Whitefur    4

But that's easier said than done.

200th Post!!!

I don't like Epoch. Why? I explained in some other thread.

I don't have anything against it being here, though. It just annoys me that, for us that hate Epoch, are unable to enjoy the mod due to the main server being completely empty.

Don't remove it. People enjoy it, and that would be a huge dick move. I'm just waiting for people to actually play the main mod again.

Whitefur    4

I don't like Epoch. Why? I explained in some other thread.

I don't have anything against it being here, though. It just annoys me that, for us that hate Epoch, are unable to enjoy the mod due to the main server being completely empty.

Don't remove it. People enjoy it, and that would be a huge dick move. I'm just waiting for people to actually play the main mod again.

The problem is the mod is still half-broken, and people like me don't have the patience for it.

Deserath    0

The Staff has stated many times it's being worked on but it's just not as easy as the Epoch server to push out updates. I refuse to believe that S1 won't be populated again when it's fully fixed, relax have some patience and faith in the Staff.

Me personally I liked to play vanilla whenever I could get on, now with epoch I don't feel that way,

The way everyone has the best gear and a car is the way I dont like, you dont get the the good feeling of getting yourself a car or a stanag rifle in epoch as you do in vanilla.

I dont get the rush of being in a long lasting firefight anymore being shot at, taking shot, because the only shots you take now are from a 1 hit kill Lapua or something,

But thats just me, other people probably dont agree with what im saying.