Server time: 2017-08-21, 08:37

Sign in to follow this  
Apfelsator

Having real names on the SA Server

Apfelsator    2

Maybe a small suggestion wich could not be enforced on people but i thought about that people of the community could contribute to the idea as i hope we are all encouraged to roleplay on the Standalone Server.

So, i wanted to suggest that everyone who is connecting to the standalone server(and is reading this of course) is changing there names to a proper rp-one as i saw many people only i recognized from their forum names on the server.

So why not change your profile name while playing on the SA Rp server?

It is very easy, just open your "friends list" in steam, click on the little button behind your profile name and click "change profile name" to a rp one, click ok and you are done?

Maybe not a real suggestion for the server, if so i'm sorry and the thread can be moved.

Mush    2

Is it a good suggestion, yes.

However, I think a lot of people will like to keep their Steam Name.

Alan Woods    3

I wouldn't be against it, but for now rules can't be enforced since it isn't passworded, therefore you still get a random public flow.

Apfelsator    2

The point is, you can change it back easily after the session.

Well, as i said, it can't be enforced anyway as the rules can't be enforced at all.

I just thought to point out that it is not difficult(and i thought the rules apply to the SA server too?).

EDIT:

Just so we know how many of the community are playing at the time you are on and can prepare yourself?

Chris    61

I actually didn't know that you could change your name, will def be doing this in the future.

Nobody knows who SkuubaSteve is, since I don't use that name on the forums, and my steam account was made long ago.

Mush    2

Well, as i said, it can't be enforced anyway as the rules can't be enforced at all.

I just thought to point out that it is not difficult(and i thought the rules apply to the SA server too?).

EDIT:

Just so we know how many of the community are playing at the time you are on and can prepare yourself?

You could, but again that's a pain. To change it back everytime, a lot of people just want to go on and play. This thread has all the names of the people that will play, just compare the player list to that if you are really that bothered.

Good suggestion, but I can't see it happening. Also, I'm sure the DayZ Dev Team will add some form of name to the player profile section, as I've seen it suggested on Reddit before.

Apfelsator    2

EDIT:

You could, but again that's a pain. To change it back everytime, a lot of people just want to go on and play. This thread has all the names of the people that will play, just compare the player list to that if you are really that bothered.

Good suggestion, but I can't see it happening. Also, I'm sure the DayZ Dev Team will add some form of name to the player profile section, as I've seen it suggested on Reddit before.

I know about the thread but it is a bit more complicated then changing the names in my opinion.

And sure, the Dev team will implement it hopefully but until then, this could work.

And i mean it is really only 3 clicks to change the name back so not really a "pain" in my opinion.

@Chris I think i saw you in Guba one time then?! And i wondered about the name :P

Mush    2

EDIT:

I know about the thread but it is a bit more complicated then changing the names in my opinion.

And sure, the Dev team will implement it hopefully but until then, this could work.

And i mean it is really only 3 clicks to change the name back so not really a "pain" in my opinion.

@Chris I think i saw you in Guba one time then?! And i wondered about the name :P

Well, some people may not want to, and it is, just an extra thing to do, I'm not saying I won't, but I probably won't, because I will either forget or just yeah, good suggestion though.

Apfelsator    2

Well, some people may not want to, and it is, just an extra thing to do, I'm not saying I won't, but I probably won't, because I will either forget or just yeah, good suggestion though.

Well, let's see about how people will do, at least i could maybe tell some how to do it easily. :)

Chris    61

EDIT:

Met a couple of people there. Were you one of the men in the atc tower rhat disrmed me? Or the man I met east of the airfield?

Apfelsator    2

Met a couple of people there. Were you one of the men in the atc tower rhat disrmed me? Or the man I met east of the airfield?

No, directly in guba i think? But only for a short time as shortly after i arived there, the server crashed and i my character was resetted.

Chris    61

No, directly in guba i think? But only for a short time as shortly after i arived there, the server crashed and i my character was resetted.

I never quite made it to Guba, dang zombie glitched me into a non-enterable room of a house, actually stuck there, haha.

Apfelsator    2

I never quite made it to Guba, dang zombie glitched me into a non-enterable room of a house, actually stuck there, haha.

Ah well, maybe my brain messed something up then....again. -.- :)

Burgz    6

We should all put like RP or something on the end of our names.

Owen    13

We should all put like RP or something on the end of our names.

Sounds like a good idea.

Teas    1

Steam nickname was changed from the off. But I like the "RP" in the name, that could go somewhere.

Guest BoobManReub   
Guest BoobManReub

Is there anywhere in SA that you can actually see the names of players other than them flashing up momentarily as you join? It's a good idea though, yes

Apfelsator    2

Is there anywhere in SA that you can actually see the names of players other than them flashing up momentarily as you join? It's a good idea though, yes

If you press "P", they should pop up.

Guest BoobManReub   
Guest BoobManReub

Oh right, yeah. It'd be more immersive with the right RP names. I sorta meant more in game, but with the SA being based more around survival there will probably interesting things implemented soon. There's a lot of potential RP in things like pen and papers. Maybe there'll be an automatic signature or something. I guess we'll see

Apfelsator    2

Oh right, yeah. It'd be more immersive with the right RP names. I sorta meant more in game, but with the SA being based more around survival there will probably interesting things implemented soon. There's a lot of potential RP in things like pen and papers. Maybe there'll be an automatic signature or something. I guess we'll see

Ah. then i misunderstood this.

Well, the only way you would see the names is if the people type in direct.

And i'm really sad that the pen and paper is not working yet, i'm carrying always one pen and one paper with me just in case thought.

Whitefur    4

I actually like the SteamWorks integration in standalone. You have to remember that SA was meant to be a game, not an RP experience, and Steam Names make things less confusing for everyone (I have seen servers with 3 John's labeled John (1), John (2), John (3)) I really doubt the DayZ team will implement an ArmA system like custom names.

I have debated whether to change my Steam name or not, but I always decided against it as to not confuse people on the TF2 servers I frequent.

I usually tend to change my steam name when ever I play on the standalone server.

Whitefur    4

Besides most people on the SA have Really similar names to their Forum names (my forum name is Whitefur22 and my steam name is [tpt]Whitefur22) And i tend to recognize people through that.

Yesterday I found a player on the list named "Texas" who I immediately recognized from the forums.