Server time: 2017-11-19, 04:39

Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Morgan Riggs

Developing a simple RPG game with Unity 3D

Happy to help with story/world development, I have some basic experience with U3D, I was actually thinking of doing a similar thing.

I could help design the map and various locations, and also help with the story, and linking that in with locations, I have a few sweet ideas for some places.

^

Awesome everyone! Everyone that has been interested so far, send me a private message and explain what you are interested in doing and I'll add you to the list

That environment pack looks great, some of the brickwork stands out as looking quite bad though compared to the other models because of the flat modeling and texutures. Best of luck with the project, I could test it and give a few suggestions if wanted.

I would love to help out with the story and being a tester if it's possible.

Edit: Morgan 2 quick for me.

I'd love to join as a programmer, but I don't like the game concept - it has too big "mainstream rpg" feel to it - it's been done before over and over again. I prefer persistent sandbox games, where the players themselves decide what to do and do not have to be pulled forward by the quests or storyline. I always wanted to program a 2D MMO like that, maybe in the future :)

I'd love to be a programmer. Any information on what I need (to learn) before I can be of assistance?

EDIT: Very ambitious project. I will have a lot of spare time on my hands after next month and since I'll be going back into IT, programming anything would be a welcome addition to my daily work. I'd be willing to spend a lot of hours in this if the other people participating are at least willing to follow up on their pledge. Please give me the information and I will get to work.

I kinda agree with Rolle. Give players the tools to behave freely. Make their own quests and missions is way more longlasting then predetermined questlines. Its very timeconsuming to make good questlines.

You mean something like..

Space station 13!? :o

Nah I know it isn't open world, but it is 2D with a lot of stuff you can do and very open ended events that always end up being different. Good place to look for ideas for Rolle's idea.

Also Space station 13 server pls.

I too agree with Rolle, more of a sandbox approach.

I'd love to join as a programmer, but I don't like the game concept - it has too big "mainstream rpg" feel to it - it's been done before over and over again. I prefer persistent sandbox games, where the players themselves decide what to do and do not have to be pulled forward by the quests or storyline. I always wanted to program a 2D MMO like that, maybe in the future :)

I kinda agree with Rolle. Give players the tools to behave freely. Make their own quests and missions is way more longlasting then predetermined questlines. Its very timeconsuming to make good questlines.

I too agree with Rolle, more of a sandbox approach.

I will refer to what I wrote in my topic

I want to try and go for less npc's and no leveling system.

I want the game to be focused on the players. I want to let them form the world, towns, clans etc.

Give other players quests or missions and reward them for their jobs.

I will refer to what I wrote in my topic

I want to try and go for less npc's and no leveling system.

I want the game to be focused on the players. I want to let them form the world, towns, clans etc.

Give other players quests or missions and reward them for their jobs.

Ah yes, great idea.

So what is to impart the players story from the beginning to their current situation? Is there no sense of Journey?

e.g. During the wheel of time novels you see the protagonist's journey from inexperienced farm hand to the most powerful man in the history of the world. His personality changes numerous times. His gear goes to being a complete arsenal eventually going back to nothing as he reaches his peak.

Just an example but watching your character develop visually, academically or skillfully is another thing that really aids to the immersion of an RPG.

Please don't just say gear :S

Edit: New Years Resolution. Start learning Blender!

Just a few other bits and bobs?

Fantastical fiction? Historical fiction? Future fiction? Sci Fi?

Just curious. :)

Alright, I want to give everyone that signed up for role play & world story development to do a few tests. If I like your ideas I will take you in on the project.

So many people have contacted me about filling that role, so I have to choose a few to keep the team at a limit.

Come up with 6 fictional character/races that would live in this world, playable races. They all come from different types of environments. It can be anything from cat folks to dwarfs. It can be races taken from original fantasy fiction. Explain what they look like, post a picture or two.

2. What would you like the world conflict to be about? Do you have an awesome background story that you think would fit this land. (Try and keep is short and sweet)

3. Name three different types of environment that you would want to see in this game, Explain the layout and the specifics about the landscape. What does it look like? Does it have huge monuments of old kings or dark spires that leads up to a twisting dark nether in the sky. You choose.

i have had a little play about in unity (had no idea what is was doing) but sure i can code so might as well try :P

The best thing with Unity is that it's tutorials on pretty much everything that you're capable of doing in Unity.

played around with the map a little

map.jpg

looks pretty nice :) is there anything where we can communicate more easily and private? all the group it would be alot easier to talk about storys etc.

This is awesome! Good luck Morgan! Im sure you won't need it :P

Had a little play around with unity again so could I be a programmer or 3d developer please :)

Had a little play around with unity again so could I be a programmer or 3d developer please :)

Send Morgan a PM. Thats what I did and I got a response really quick.

Alright, I want to give everyone that signed up for role play & world story development to do a few tests. If I like your ideas I will take you in on the project.

So many people have contacted me about filling that role, so I have to choose a few to keep the team at a limit.

Come up with 6 fictional character/races that would live in this world, playable races. They all come from different types of environments. It can be anything from cat folks to dwarfs. It can be races taken from original fantasy fiction. Explain what they look like, post a picture or two.

2. What would you like the world conflict to be about? Do you have an awesome background story that you think would fit this land. (Try and keep is short and sweet)

3. Name three different types of environment that you would want to see in this game, Explain the layout and the specifics about the landscape. What does it look like? Does it have huge monuments of old kings or dark spires that leads up to a twisting dark nether in the sky. You choose.

i will work some ideas about clans/factions and races today, and we need main story to make story/backrounds for these so are you working with the mainstory?

I shall do le test tomorrow after school. I can always be a tester and story dev too by the way :)