Server time: 2017-08-17, 09:57

Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Morgan Riggs

Developing a simple RPG game with Unity 3D

Project Background

I am currently starting up a amateur/indie developing project to create a multiplayer rpg with the game developing software called Unity 3D.

I am totally new to Unity but I have a few years experience in Maya and 3D studio max from my school studies on IT.

Current Goals

To create a large world with different climates and environments.

To create different races / creatures that lives in these areas

A simple crafting / build structures system. Smith weapons and Armour, brew potions, build your home.

Quests and rewards

Deep role play back story about the world and previous or/and ongoing world conflicts

I want to try and go for less npc's and no leveling system.

I want the game to be focused on the players. I want to let them form the world, towns, clans etc.

Give other players quests or missions and reward them for their jobs.

Examples.

I want to build a house, but it would take me really long to gather all the supplies on my own.

Option 1: buy the supplies from another player

Option 2: Rob someone of their supplies

Option 3: Buy supplies from a Vendor in a town

Sure there are many more things that could be added to the list but it is better to start small and see where it leads us.

This is the kind of graphic and setting I want on the game

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

Achieved Goals

Team Recruitment

I was curious to know if there are someone out there who would be interested in joining up on the project and by the time learning some coding and 3D development. This is not any super serious project, more of a fun thing to do from time to time.

I want to work with people that have a passion for role playing games, a wild imagination and fantasy. It is a huge plus if you have experience of original DnD (Dungeons and Dragons) board / pc games.

I want people that are active and attends to planned meetings and perform their duties to fill the goal that has been set. As this is not a full time project, it means that the times we plan to work, really has to be work times.

We are currently looking for

3D & Concept artists - High demand

Lore & story developers - High demand

Story developer application

Alright, I want to give everyone that signed up for role play & world story development to do a few tests. If I like your ideas I will take you in on the project.

So many people have contacted me about filling that role, so I have to choose a few to keep the team at a limit.

Come up with 6 fictional character/races that would live in this world, playable races. They all come from different types of environments. It can be anything from cat folks to dwarfs. It can be races taken from original fantasy fiction. Explain what they look like, post a picture or two.

2. What would you like the world conflict to be about? Do you have an awesome background story that you think would fit this land. (Try and keep is short and sweet)

3. Name three different types of environment that you would want to see in this game, Explain the layout and the specifics about the landscape. What does it look like? Does it have huge monuments of old kings or dark spires that leads up to a twisting dark nether in the sky. You choose.

People involved in this project

Blue: Team Leader

Green: Confirmed team members

Red: Applicants

Orange: Standby

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Project leader: Morgan Riggs

Game & web programming developers

- Web developers

Dr. Morgan Riggs

Rolle

Ghost Lead

uriki9

- Game developers

Dr. Morgan Riggs

Rolle

Ghost Lead

uriki9

3D & Concept artists

- 3D developer

Dr. Morgan Riggs

BeastMade

- Concept artist

kzammm

Lore & story developers

Dr. Morgan Riggs

SumoS

Nihoolious

BeastMade

Arcus

Leon

Robert

TheMushM

Bryan

Nihoolious

Mattbro

VaneKyle

armouredwaffle

Music & sound developers

- Sound and music

Misty

- Voice Actors

Dr. Morgan Riggs

Mattbro

McFluffyDucky

CptTerry

SirDoctor

FrozenCaveMan22

Testers (Testers will be confirmed first time testing the game)

Dr. Morgan Riggs

Robert

McFluffyDucky

pejay

Mattbro

Zhunk

Certamine

SirDoctor

Well, that's about what I have right now. I hope to see some people joining up soon.

I can be a tester and a story developer ;)

Onionjack    0

Sounds interesting, I can help with some 3d if you need assistance. You can see my work here -> http://www.jmsaari.net

Mostly cars there but I can do all kind of hard surface models.

Unfortunately I don't know Unity but I do have good knowledge of 3dsmax.

Robert    0

Goodluck with this morgan, if there is any spac e for testers, i would love to do so.

Looks great, I always liked writing story and creating worlds for this kind of stuff !

BeastMade    0

i can maybe work some 3d modelling, and maybe storylines? like questing/side storylines

wopps i was going to edit my first post but it seems it failed a bit.. :D

Popeye509    1

I wouldn't really be useful at all since I don't have any experience really in most this stuff but I am highly interested in getting involved in this kind of work so I do have some experience for future jobs. (I want to get into the game industry hopefully just not sure what I want to do in it.) So any advice on how you guys started would be helpful. :D thanks.

For you guys that are really serious about joining up send me a private message and we can talk some more

i can maybe work some 3d modelling

Sounds interesting, I can help with some 3d if you need assistance. You can see my work here -> http://www.jmsaari.net

Mostly cars there but I can do all kind of hard surface models.

Unfortunately I don't know Unity but I do have good knowledge of 3dsmax.

I can maybe help with modeling 3d.

Here is my work: 3D Work

You guys that replied for the 3d development, I guess you know how to work with joints/bones for 3d npc / player models?

I think most of the stuff we'll use at a start is going to be downloadable content that are open source/free to use for testing / developing purpose. At a later point, we can design our own creatures and whatever it might be :)

I can be a tester and a story developer ;)

Sounds great, send a pm to me please

Robert    0

For you guys that are really serious about joining up send me a private message and we can talk some more

Does that include testers?

Does that include testers?

Yes sure, I'll write a list of everyone involved

Onionjack    0

You guys that replied for the 3d development, I guess you know how to work with joints/bones for 3d npc / player models?

Nope sorry I don't have any experience from characters, joints/bones are new to me unfortunately.

Nope sorry I don't have any experience from characters, joints/bones are new to me unfortunately.

No problem, it is easy to learn, and this project is for learning

List of people involved updated.

I'll organize a small meeting somewhere in the near future, I will keep you updated from this thread an private messages.

I was thinking about creating the world today, or at least a platform to work on. I have made a map design of the region, this is what it looks like.

map.jpg

Edit: ( Dark Green: Leaf forest, Dark/Purple: Corrupt land, Brown: Desert, Light Green: Jungle )

I hope that we can create several castles around the world and within the castle walls, you can choose a spot to build your house (One spot per person). Maybe even add a small garden to the house for growing crops.

Onionjack    0

No problem, it is easy to learn, and this project is for learning

Allrite, it's been something I've always wanted and meant to learn anyways :)

DeadKiller    0

I could be a story developer and tester if you want me. I'm very good at finding out what makes games crash.

Sonofab....

Been looking at doing the same to sate my writing itch :D

Gimme a poke if you ever wanna shoot the shit or draw up some story boards. Big fantasy book nerd so have a fair number of references.

Edit: Sadly no other experience :(

Ego    1

In before best RPG 2015! :D ill be keeping an eye on your project man.